Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Guckian RIP

Options
  • 29-10-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭

I'm posting this here because it was this forum that Brian contributed to in its early days when it wasn't nearly as active. A founding member of Platform 11 in 2003 and big contributer to Irish Railway News around the same time, he believed wholeheartedly in his convictions despite colleagues disagreeing with him. His name has been mentioned on this forum in relation to a lot of rail/transport matters over the years and at times he was derided and rediculed. That is the nature of the game though. Personally I found him to be a gentleman, despite any difference of opinions I had in relation to transport issues.

Brian passed away earlier this month at a very young age of early 40s. Apart from transport, his main occupation was cinema projection. I know he worked in both the Ormonde in Stillorgan and at some point the Classic in Harolds Cross. He was an ardent contributer to discussions in relation to cinema projection and was published in Film Ireland Magazine. Sadly this was an aspect of his life that I never got to embrace. My main memories are his passion for rail transport, the formation of Platform 11 and his very worthwhile contributions to this forum in the early days. I respect that a lot of people here now won't remember him, but for what its worth, he was involved in something special all those years ago.

RIP Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Logue no2

Thank you to Grandeeod for posting this. I am shocked and saddened by Brian's sudden death. I made contact with Brian a couple of years ago and would have long phone calls about railways and cinema, subjects we were both passionate about.

Brian was a real gentleman, kind hearted and generous. It is also fair to say he took more than his fair share of abuse online.

I hope he rests now in peace. May his memory be for a blessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 falconio

Very sad to hear this, a gentleman.

Positive, enthusiastic, idealistic in his contributions. Wish there was more like him.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Am shocked to hear this. I only spoke to Brian twice but his good humour and passion shone through.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I didn't know him but am aware of the contribution he made to the wiser transport debate. My heart goes out to the circle of his family and friends as it's not the first time for them to have lost a sibling before their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Rest in peace Brian - a good man who made an honest, thoughtful and valuable input to transport thinking. Go neiri an iarnrod leat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I'm not going to pretend I didn't have fundamental disagreement with the sort of proposals Brian Guckian put out, emphasizing as they did peripheral projects which would be at variance to what I thought was a need for IE to strengthen existing routes and infrastructure. I did admire his ability to get those proposals published.

For his family to lose him at 42 is undoubtedly is a huge blow to them, which puts intellectual disagreements like those noted above in their proper, minor perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 footey64

My name is Brian Kelly and I was lucky enough to know Brian for a good few years of my life. I will already remember him as someone who despite his troubles always enjoyed a good laugh. I loved his loud guffaw and though he was often hard on himself he always had a great sense of humour.
    He was passionate about many things involving transport and rail links, but we bonded over a love of cinema; an area of life Brian was employed in for many years as a film projectionist.
    He loved the old film formats and would lax lyrically about the joy and majesty of 35 and 70mm projection, which he used to show in his time as a projectionist in the Ormond Cinema, Stillorgan as well at the old Classic in Harold's Cross. As a mark to respect to Brian and to celebrate his love and dedication of the format the IFI cinema in Dublin will hold a screening of the Steve Mc Queen documentary Le Mans in 70mm on Nov 30th next at 6.30pm.
    As a way of remembering Brian's life, I think it is a great gesture on the IFI's behalf. Hopefully many of his friends and colleagues will be there to remember him as well.
    Brian, I 'm sure will be looking down from Cinema Paradiso in the sky and enjoying the last picture show one more time.
    Please pass on the details to anyone who may know him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Very sad to hear the news just today and not know about the funeral. Like my friend Brian Kelly, I also knew Brian for a few years. Firstly after meeting him at film festivals and in the IFI, he was despite his sometimes contrary opionions a very decent and extremely funny bloke, very smart as well. I will also be going to the 70mm showing. If anyone wants to post their condolences and have them passed onto the family, here is the link:

http://www.fanagans.ie/Online-Book-of-Condolence/6212/?do=message&267_Name_of_deceased=Brian%20GUCKIAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

A video of Brian's funeral mass is available at the following

link:http://www.churchservices.tv/index.php/foxrock/recorded/yoNERMzyYa

The sermon is well worth listening to, it's at approximately 16 minutes and 30 seconds in. Please listen to it and please reflect. God bless you Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bananaman7

I only heard recently of Brian's death and it is hard to take in. He was a good friend to me and the godfather to my son. I want to acknowledge his friendship and his enthusiasms. I will miss him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 juniper87

I only met Brian in 2014 and 2015 through my previous job, but on the one occasion we met and through the many phone calls and e-mails we shared, he was a courteous, respectful and just plain nice man who was incredibly principled and passionate about justice and fair treatment of citizens.

I was greatly saddened to be informed of his passing by a former colleague last year, and was sorry to miss the funeral, which I only found out about subsequently. For some reason Brian popped into my head tonight, fittingly enough in Stillorgan Cinema, which from having read these comments formed quite an important part of Brian's life. A nice little coincidence.

I didn't know him well at all, but was struck by his passion and humanity, and I'd like to pass my condolences onto his family and friends. RIP Brian.

Advertisement