Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless Cards; what's the spend minimum?

Options
  • 30-10-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭

Last night I was in local off licence and grabbed something that was priced at €8.  I went to pay with contactless only to be told that they have a minimum spend of €10 and that I'd have to get something else to make it over the €10.  

When I said to them that I've used it before in the shop without problems (I have, many times.) I was told that my transaction shouldn't have been entertained on those occasions.  I mentioned that I've used it to pay for small things in some shops (I bought  49 cent apple in Super Valu once as well as papers and bottles of water in Boots.) and was informed that the bank charges are the same both for contactless and PIN verified purchases and that it cost them money and that was that, I could pay for more or go elsewhere.   In the end I took my business elsewhere, bemused and a little annoyed by the experience.

So guys with this in mind but is the shop correct in imposing a minimum limit for contactless transactions?  Are they charged the same for both types of transactions?  Can they refuse to accept a contactless payment and insist on a PIN one instead?   

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Bank of Ireland may not be supplying service to the shop, so it is hard to know what the shop pays. But say they pay 5c, then that is their profit margin gone on an apple. What do you expect them to do, put the price up to 55c so you can use your card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Last night I was in local off licence and grabbed something that was priced at €8.  I went to pay with contactless only to be told that they have a minimum spend of €10 and that I'd have to get something else to make it over the €10.  

When I said to them that I've used it before in the shop without problems (I have, many times.) I was told that my transaction shouldn't have been entertained on those occasions.  I mentioned that I've used it to pay for small things in some shops (I bought  49 cent apple in Super Valu once as well as papers and bottles of water in Boots.) and was informed that the bank charges are the same both for contactless and PIN verified purchases and that it cost them money and that was that, I could pay for more or go elsewhere.   In the end I took my business elsewhere, bemused and a little annoyed by the experience.

So guys with this in mind but is the shop correct in imposing a minimum limit for contactless transactions?  Are they charged the same for both types of transactions?  Can they refuse to accept a contactless payment and insist on a PIN one instead?   

Opinions?
    Hi Losty Dublin, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards. 

It would be down to the individual retailer to decide whether they can accept Contactless payments under €10, this would be a decision this retailer has made themselves which we would have no control over. While there is a maximum spend of €30 when using Contactless, there is no minimum charge.

Please let us know if we can help with any other query.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Thanks for that, Sarah.  In general, are the merchant fees the same for the retailers for both transactions?  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Thanks for that, Sarah.  In general, are the merchant fees the same for the retailers for both transactions?  
    Hi Losty Dublin, 

Thanks for your reply. 

We wouldn't have that information here, as it can depend on the individual retailers point of sale provider. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

I asked the Banking and Payments Federation of Ireland (new name for IPSO) about this a few months ago.

They said that retailers are obliged to accept all cards under the brands they have signed up for - Visa, Mastercard, etc. - and that requiring a minimum transaction limit or charging a fee means the retailer is a breach of their terms and conditions.

BPFI has no regulatory/enforcement powers but are apparently trying to address it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement