Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skechers

Options
  • 30-10-2015 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I bought a pair of Skechers for my 4 year old last month and they have started to fall apart. The laces on them have come away even though it's a Velcro strap.
    I tried to return them to the shop in which I purchased them but unfortunately I have lost my receipt so the sales assistant/ supervisor was very unhelpful. You can clearly see they are not fit for purpose. I signed up for the loyalty scheme the day I got them and explained this to her but she did not want to listen to me. I left the shop feeling very embarrassed.
    Where do I stand? Do I have any rights without a receipt? I have emailed sketchers twice and have received no reply.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

Did you pay cash?. A cc card receipt will do as well or bank statement

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sciencenut

Mr.Carter wrote: »
    Did you pay cash?. A cc card receipt will do as well or bank statement

I paid cash

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

Unfortunately it would be very hard to prove you bought them there....try to contact the manufacturer directly... ask the shop for their details.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you can remember details of the purchase such as the date and time then the shop might check their till records. You might get more co-operation if you can talk to the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

slimjimmc wrote: »
    If you can remember details of the purchase such as the date and time then the shop might check their till records. You might get more co-operation if you can talk to the manager.

consider going to skechers Ireland, assuming they are own branded as they may help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Firstly - Never buy a product in that shop again. If they can't be bothered about half decent customer service, they don't deserve your business.

Sketchers are distrubuted from UK - so email form on their website is probably the only avenue if you can't get satisfaction from the retailer.
    Signing up to loyalty card - whilst not an absolute proof of purchase, should still be enough for a replacement pair / repair. After all, Sketchers themselves will replace them for the retailer.

http://www.skechers.co.uk/info/help-center

Thanks for all your replies I have sent emails but heard nothing back yet but am going to persist I don't think it's right to pay €42 for shoes that are only fit for the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

If by any chance you have the box, then go back to the shop with it and the shoes. They should be able to check it on their stock system.

I have the box and brought it back but the girl wouldn't do anything for me just kept saying I had no receipt and could have bought them in any shop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Diziet wrote: »
    If by any chance you have the box, then go back to the shop with it and the shoes. They should be able to check it on their stock system.

Strange comment.

The most likely way to prove it is the cctv option above if you know the date and time, should then be able to see if they can find a receipt on their back of house system. Unfortunately the shop are correct saying they could have been bought anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

sciencenut wrote: »
    I have the box and brought it back but the girl wouldn't do anything for me just kept saying I had no receipt and could have bought them in any shop!!

Do you know the date and rough time you bought them? You just need proof of purchase, a receipt is not the only way to show proof of purchase. Ask to speak to a manager if the floor staff aren't helpful.

UPDATE - after tearing my house apart I found my receipt and got a new pair of Skechers but I am so disappointed about the lack of response from Skechers to the different email addresses I used asking for their assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Re my comment on the box: I returned a pair of children's trainers to a sports shop with no receipt. The shop asked in I could bring the box in, as they would then be able to confirm that I bought them there. Fortunately I had the box (the child had kept it to play with), so I brought it in and they processed a refund.

So, while it looks like a bit of a strange comment, it is based on an experience similar to the OP's.

The shop assistant recommended always keeping the box, as it makes returning shoes a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

delahuntv wrote: »
    Firstly - Never buy a product in that shop again. If they can't be bothered about half decent customer service, they don't deserve your business.

How could they possibly know if the item was actually bought in that shop?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

MOH wrote: »
    How could they possibly know if the item was actually bought in that shop?

The same way they would identify the shoe when sending it back to Sketchers for their own refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The same way they would identify the shoe when sending it back to Sketchers for their own refund.

Not the same. Sketchers are sold by loads of independent retailers and a few official Sketcher shops. No retailer is responsible for purchases made in other retailers so if you bring a claim against a particular retailer it's up to you to show that you bought the shoe from that retailer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Not the same. Sketchers are sold by loads of independent retailers and a few official Sketcher shops. No retailer is responsible for purchases made in other retailers so if you bring a claim against a particular retailer it's up to you to show that you bought the shoe from that retailer.

What I mean is this. Say I returned my Sketchers to a shop and I have the receipt. The shoes are faulty. The shop would use the stock code or batch number to get a refund from their supplier. Their own store receipt would be useless to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Modern epos system can search by barcode and bring up the dates and times of the purchase by barcode.

In footwear each model & size has its own barcode, so it would be realistically possible if a store had a modern epos system and customer gave day and approx time of purchase to reasonably confirm a purchase especially something like a shoe in a particular size (it would be different for a more popular item such as bottle of coke)

Many large ticket retailers take your mobile phone number for this purpose so that intead fo a receipt they have a record of your purchase against your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

delahuntv wrote: »
    Modern epos system can search by barcode and bring up the dates and times of the purchase by barcode.

In footwear each model & size has its own barcode, so it would be realistically possible if a store had a modern epos system and customer gave day and approx time of purchase to reasonably confirm a purchase especially something like a shoe in a particular size (it would be different for a more popular item such as bottle of coke)

Many large ticket retailers take your mobile phone number for this purpose so that intead fo a receipt they have a record of your purchase against your number.

Yes a reverse look up on shoes is quite easy to do, but the onus is on the customer to have the proof of purchase.

Only a store manager might have the access to do a reverse look up or access historical details so this may be the reason why regular staff have to insist on a receipt or proof of purchase from the customer side.

A lot depends on the customer attitude too. Someone quoting their rights and entitlements quite possibly could be stuck to their rights and be required to prove their purchase. Someone discussing a problem in a civil manner may just get the help they require without a receipt.

Advertisement