Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you bring back a faulty item...does the clock reset

Options
  • 30-10-2015 12:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭

I had to return an electric tool to argos, it blew up after 11 months...only used it a dozen times or so.
    I was told my warranty runs out in a month (12 months) is this true/ lawful...even on the replacement.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Seems to be standard practice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

Really...a strange one. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mr.Carter wrote: »
    Really...a strange one. Thanks.
    Not strange at all. A guarantee is typically a promise to repair/replace a product usually for a limited time after purchase. You didn't buy the replacement so you're not entitled to a new full-term guarantee unless that's allowed in the original T&Cs. Most guarantees are limited to a specific duration, eg 1 year regardless if you get a replacement or not.

As for legality, manufacturer's guarantees are a perk provided by the manufacturer and are additional to your consumer rights. There's no law that says a manufacturer must even give any guarantee at all, let alone any law that requires a guarantee to be renewed in event of a claim.

Your consumer rights to a repair/replacement or refund apply for the reasonable life of the product which is often well past the guarantee duration. If your electric tool fails again after the guarantee has expired then you can still request the seller to sort it out.

Advertisement