Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

July 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I'm the same holding! Can't eat much in one go, but if my stomach is empty I feel sick. So it's constant picking at food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

holding wrote: »
    I am pretty sure there is one in the H&M in the Crescent Shopping Centre - I remember buying maternity in there the last time I was pregnant. That was 3 years ago though so hopefully they haven't closed down or anything. I do a recce at the weekend and confirm!

H&M in the Crescent shopping centre in Limerick definitely has maternity stuff (upstairs at the back). Its pretty much the only place in or around Limerick city that has anything. Only other option is Next in the Crescent which also has a small collection of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

holding wrote: »
    I am pretty sure there is one in the H&M in the Crescent Shopping Centre - I remember buying maternity in there the last time I was pregnant. That was 3 years ago though so hopefully they haven't closed down or anything. I do a recce at the weekend and confirm!
    H&M in the Crescent shopping centre in Limerick definitely has maternity stuff (upstairs at the back). Its pretty much the only place in or around Limerick city that has anything. Only other option is Next in the Crescent which also has a small collection of stuff.

Thanks girls. I'm in Athlone on Saturday and Limerick on Sunday this weekend, so should be all set to let myself get MASSIVE afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mamabear29

Hi girls,
    Have been reading all your posts the past few months. I've had a tough few months of pregnancy. Ie. Spotting, not feeling pregnant (this is my third pregnancy) no symptoms only clear blue & doc telling me I was preggers. Had an early scan but because of spotting didn't want to get overly excited.
    Well that has ALL changed!! 13 weeks pregnant, I look pregnant, I'm exhausted, sick ALL the time, cranky, sore boobs, headaches, thinking about mash potatoes sends me into a state of panic and turns my stomach! Nearly in the second trimester and I thought all these things should be easing off instead of only starting!! 😭.
    Scan shows one perfect little person.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thanks girls. I'm in Athlone on Saturday and Limerick on Sunday this weekend, so should be all set to let myself get MASSIVE afterwards!

I'm off to Cork next weekend! can't wait to pick up a few things. I am still fitting into a couple of pairs of jeans, one pair in particular are still perfect on me! I have been keeping an eye out in Penney's for some baggier style tops, but nothing is really taking my fancy, plus their stock is a bit low since Christmas,so I'm sure they'll get in some new stuff soon. I got a nice big baggy jumper in there reduced the other day though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Mothercare too, and they're only out in the Crescent now afaik. Jojomaman bebe do free delivery - their stuff is amazing.

I'm having my 3 month scan tomorrow morning! Excited, nervous, all the things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bingwhoosh

I had gp appointment today so was lovely to hear the heartbeat and to be reassured that all is going ok.
    I have been sick again the last 2 mornings and was so nauseous yesterday, I couldn't look at food at all.
    My little one was vomiting all Saturday night and Sunday so whether it had anything to do with that, I'm not sure but at 16 weeks I had hoped that all the sickness would be gone..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

TMI ALERT!! But is anyone else starting to get a bit constipated? Finding it hard to go this week and when I do it's not easy!
    The joys of it! 😩

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    TMI ALERT!! But is anyone else starting to get a bit constipated? Finding it hard to go this week and when I do it's not easy!
    The joys of it! 😩

Ugh I remember it well from last time. I had to take Galfer for low iron and I could hardly pass a stool from it. It was actually worse than the child birth. Try keep drinking lots and lots of water.

Ugh I remember it well from last time. I had to take Galfer for low iron and I could hardly pass a stool from it. It was actually worse than the child birth. Try keep drinking lots and lots of water.

It did give me a small insight into what childbirth may be like and it's not going to be pleasent! 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The joys of it! 😩

YES. Once every three days, IF I'm lucky.

The joys of it! ��

I'm the opposite, and have been since a week before I did the test back in October. I'm going to the toilet far more regularly than I usually do - sometimes up to three times per day.
    I fully expect the constipation to kick in anytime soon, as I would often suffer with it of outside pregnancy.
    Sorry, also TMI :o

Forgot to take my nausea tablet last night and was late with it this mornign. Been puking every 30 min and can't keep a tablet or anything else down

Miserable day :(

I'm the opposite, and have been since a week before I did the test back in October. I'm going to the toilet far more regularly than I usually do - sometimes up to three times per day.
    I fully expect the constipation to kick in anytime soon, as I would often suffer with it of outside pregnancy.
    Sorry, also TMI :o

I can also suffer from it outside of pregnancy, but this seems worse this week! I was actually going a lot more regularly since I got pregnant, but not at the moment! I need to up the water intake...as if I don't need the loo enough as it is! lol

14 weeks today, and man am I ZONKED. So tired, the usual walk seemed like a mammoth effort. Wee man just down for his nap now. Gonna catch 40 on the couch. But in good news, I did have a poop :D

Im drinking at least 6 pints of water a day - I wonder is that whats saving me

Ciarrai - yup totally with you on the constipation front. Trying to eat more dried fruit etc. The cramps are the worst - they would make you think something was wrong with baby.

Had my scan today, and all was well :D Little guy/girl waving hands around and wriggling etc. Sonographer reassesed my due date and now I'm a week ahead than they/I thought I was. So am 14.3 weeks and due 19 July now instead of end July. Delighted.

Ciarrai - yup totally with you on the constipation front. Trying to eat more dried fruit etc. The cramps are the worst - they would make you think something was wrong with baby.

Had my scan today, and all was well :D Little guy/girl waving hands around and wriggling etc. Sonographer reassesed my due date and now I'm a week ahead than they/I thought I was. So am 14.3 weeks and due 19 July now instead of end July. Delighted.

I think my constipation is lifting. I have pooped THREE days in a row. THREE DAYS IN A ROW! I feel like a new person. I want to text everyone with my poop-news. Fingers crossed that's the end of it!

This gonna sound weird but I really think I can feel the baby already! When I'm lying on my back in bed, sometimes I get little twinges in my belly. I thought maybe it was just a blood vessel or somethign but it's quite irregular and not every time I lie down. Very weird!

I'm regularly pooping if anyone would like to know lol but I'm only taking my pregnacare every 2 days.

Also after a horrible day yesterday, I managed to finally keep a tablet down for an hour, and didn't puke all night, only got sick once this mornign then have been fine all day now. Really glad as my husband heads off for China first thing in the mornign for a week and I really didn't want to still be sick when he left

• Advertisement

This gonna sound weird but I really think I can feel the baby already! When I'm lying on my back in bed, sometimes I get little twinges in my belly. I thought maybe it was just a blood vessel or somethign but it's quite irregular and not every time I lie down. Very weird!

I'm regularly pooping if anyone would like to know lol but I'm only taking my pregnacare every 2 days.

Also after a horrible day yesterday, I managed to finally keep a tablet down for an hour, and didn't puke all night, only got sick once this mornign then have been fine all day now. Really glad as my husband heads off for China first thing in the mornign for a week and I really didn't want to still be sick when he left

Aw little flutters, lovely, dori_dormer.

I thought I felt something the other night too but it wasn't for long & didn't last! I'm 17 weeks on Wednesday so I'm really hoping it starts soon!

I think I'll start taking the pregnacare every couple of days too. I felt a bit off when I started taking it and when I'm finished this pack I'm going to take a different brand as I'm not a fan of the pregnacare!

I think being the size they are you wont feel loads of movement just little random ones. Last time I was definitly sure of movement by 19 weeks but had been feeling stuff for a few weeks before but didn't know if it was gas or digestion or somethign :)

Also if you eat soemthing sugary that makes them move more. I was told on one of my scans to go eat some cake and come back in 30 min so they could get all the measurements. He was bouncing around like a loon when we returned.

I think being the size they are you wont feel loads of movement just little random ones. Last time I was definitly sure of movement by 19 weeks but had been feeling stuff for a few weeks before but didn't know if it was gas or digestion or somethign :)

Also if you eat soemthing sugary that makes them move more. I was told on one of my scans to go eat some cake and come back in 30 min so they could get all the measurements. He was bouncing around like a loon when we returned.

I am a fan of sweet things, so the baby will probably be having a crazy sugar rush and hopping around the place! lol

This is your second baby, right? The say slimmer women and women on their second (or more) baby feel them moving sooner, so you could be.

Funnily, I was just reading about what to expect this week (16 weeks today) this morning and it was all about maybe starting to feel quickening, which was described as being like bubbles popping between your belly button and your knicker line (ish). A few minutes later, at my desk I thought I felt something like when you open a bottle of fizzy drink and the bubbles rush to the top, just above my knicker line, but now I'm not sure if I just imagined it because I was trying to imagine it!

Yep it's my second, but I wouldn't say I was slimmer lol! But I think yes I'm more aware of what potential kicks feel like this time! Didn't feel anything last night, but I passed out at 10 and woke just before 7.

Also I fell down the stairs 30 min ago :(. My upper leg/ ass is killing me! Also smushed my toes into the wall. Only slid 3 steps thankfully, but dropped the cat box, so been sweeping up litter.

I'm gonna be so bruised for my holiday :(

OUCH Dori_Dormer (things hurt SO much more when you're pregnant!!)

I have now pooped 4 days out of 4. I feel like I've just won a Nobel Prize tbh. The feeling of elation must be comparable.

I got some Fybogel sachets to drink which have actually helped and improved things very quickly! They are safe to take while pregnant. Forgot I needed to buy more today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

olaola wrote: »
    OUCH Dori_Dormer (things hurt SO much more when you're pregnant!!)

I have now pooped 4 days out of 4. I feel like I've just won a Nobel Prize tbh. The feeling of elation must be comparable.

If things do tighten up again, try sprinkling linseed on porridge (just a tablespoon or so-you can get it in Aldi or Lidl) or taking a bath with Epsom salts.

I take the Seven Seas version of the Pregnacare multivitamin. The taste is nowhere near as bad & it's only €5 in my local pharmacy!!!

Aldi are doing a load of baby stuff from tomorrow, Thursday 28th
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-28-jan/

I see they have a moses basket stand for only €15.99! My mom has my original basket from when I was born (cute!), but she doesn't have stand. I'm wondering if I should get one and if this would fit...not sure!

I see they have a moses basket stand for only €15.99! My mom has my original basket from when I was born (cute!), but she doesn't have stand. I'm wondering if I should get one and if this would fit...not sure!

Anyone on your first baby! Note that the aldi baby events are generally MENTAL busy. Some people queue before their store opens. So just fyi it's not generally a quick dash in and out. The queues at checkout are generally quite long ( although I do think most places put extra people on) although I can't see anything really special, and they'll likely have another one before our babies are born too.

Also they have some brill cloth nappies in this event! I've lined my sister up to go in and get me one of each pattern. They are a really good brand too!

Actually I take that back. I'd say the wooden high chair and the monitor and stair gates will b the popular items.

Also word of warning I've heard terrible things about that stroller.

Anyone on your first baby! Note that the aldi baby events are generally MENTAL busy. Some people queue before their store opens. So just fyi it's not generally a quick dash in and out. The queues at checkout are generally quite long ( although I do think most places put extra people on) although I can't see anything really special, and they'll likely have another one before our babies are born too.

Also they have some brill cloth nappies in this event! I've lined my sister up to go in and get me one of each pattern. They are a really good brand too!

My mum doesn't think the stand will fit the basket she has, so I'll leave it off for now. She also doesn't want me buying anything yet, she's very superstitious! I am not in too much of a rush yet anyway, I'll leave it a few more weeks maybe.

• Advertisement

Actually I take that back. I'd say the wooden high chair and the monitor and stair gates will b the popular items.

Also word of warning I've heard terrible things about that stroller.

that high chair looks very like the Stokke ones. I like them. Saw them in Mothercare recently, think they were around €150 'ish.

that high chair looks very like the Stokke ones. I like them. Saw them in Mothercare recently, think they were around €150 'ish.

Yea, I've been eyeing up those high chairs (with no table) for a while since spending a weekend with a toddler who has had one since he was tiny. They make feeding and eating with them a more social family affair than having them away from everyone at their own table, I think.

I think its way too early to be buying most of that sort of stuff, and a lot of it will be getting from my brother and sister, but the chair id consider queuing for!

Since that visit with the aforementioned toddlers family, I've also been on the lookout for a rocking armchair. Not the ones in Tony Kealys and mother care - more like the Hush Hush ones that are like proper comfortable armchairs, that can be stabilised if you don't want the rocking anymore after you have finished nursing.

I'd like to get one of those rocking armchairs too. Have to make a list and see what we need, what we can borrow etc. Family members have already offered to buy us things, so it will be a help. I know from talking to friends etc that there's so much we won't need, so as long as we have the main stuff we'll be grand.

We are going away for a couple of days to Cork this weekend, which I cannot wait for. We haven't had a break since March last year, so its badly needed! I am going to pick up some maternity jeans in Cork while we are there as I don't know when I can get to go again. I probably won't need to wear them yet, but just to have them for when I do will be handy.

Yeah you relaly need very little to start. And then as you start to know your Abby after a few weeks you may want to pick up more say muslins, or certain styles of baby grows etc.
    I didn't get a rocking /sliding chair as I'm ridiculously uncoordinated and felt I'd be struggling out of it even without a tiny baby in my arms lol! We got a kind of bouncy chair from ikea which helped because he wanted to be rocked asleep until about 15 months!
    You'll get loads of baby grows, socks, little outfits etc from friends. My sister made a list and gave it to my mum and other sister. Then when people asked what she needed they chose rom that. But she wasn't at all picky about brand or anythig. Like that where I did loads of research and wanted specific things lol!

As an aside I'm finding it very hard to sleep comfortably. My bump is stopping me sleeping on my tummy like I normally do and my giant bruise is stopping me sleeping on one side. So I toss and turn a lot :(

Thankfully I'm not finding it hard to sleep, I'm doing well I'm that department! I have been waking in middle of night to go to the loo, although I didn't wake until 9am this morn! I can't sleep on my tummy either, but I generally sleep on my side so it's fine at the moment.
    I'm still really tired in the day, so would be nice for that to go!

• Advertisement

As an aside I'm finding it very hard to sleep comfortably. My bump is stopping me sleeping on my tummy like I normally do and my giant bruise is stopping me sleeping on one side. So I toss and turn a lot :(

I've woken up a couple of times having turned over onto my tummy - I feel it enough to wake me up. I'm a real tummy sleeper, so takes a bit of getting used to. I swapped sides of the bed with my husband though so that I would be sleeping on my left side (they say that's better for not squishing your organs, or something).

I had to take my bra off earlier. It was just too small, digging in, plus it was a bit lacy - apparently lacy braces itch the hell out of me now.

So I went to Denbenhams there at lunchtime. I few people told me to just get nursing bras, because its a waste buying bigger bras now, only to buy (supersized!) nursing bras in a few months time. Has anyone else looked at them yet? For some reason the ones I tried on went up really high. Like, Id say the neckline on them is higher than on lots of my tops - whats that about? Is it a support thing? Are they all like that?

I think I've decided against buying maternity jeans for the time being. I've tried on a few pairs at this stage, and I just hate them. Ill survive in leggings, tights and skirts for the next few months.

Pretty much all maternity bras are massive. I have the same problem when I go shopping for my double D's. Like massive granny coverage that you can't wear nice tops with :(

Last time I bought 2 in the mothercare sale. They are bloody expensive so choose wisely! And definitly try on.

Sorry can't remember if I found a solution or brand last time. But it was winter so I probably just wore more covered up tops too. This time it'll be summer and the hunt will be on....
    I'll try and remember to ask in my fb parenting groups! Or might rejoin the breastfeeding groups in a few months and ask there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I have lovely maternity bras from mothercare, lacy pretty ones that have normal coverage (not huge at all), I'm 34DD. I bought them when pregnant obviously but wear them all the time now while still bf. I got them for 12 euro each down from 24 when they have sales. I have received many compliments on my lovely lacey bras when flashing them at bf groups! :D

We have the Tripp Trapp high chair, absolutely love it. No tripping over a wide base (ironic given the name) and baby sits right up to table. And will get years of use out of it. I'd say the Aldi one would be a very good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ladymcg

Hi all, just came across this thread recently as I'm new to Boards; and I must say its very informative! I am also due in July with our first so just over 17wks at this stage. Getting over morning sickness only now(hope I don't jinks it by saying that) but what I found helped was maternity reflexology, so for any of you who still have sickness, it's definitely worth a try, I found it also helps me sleep better.

I too am having difficulty in finding a comfortable maternity bra, I've gone from a 32F to FF so its hard to find any (nice) bra at the best of times! I did get a maternity bra in Debenhams but found it very uncomfortable, think I will just have to go for comfortable underwired bra instead unless anyone knows anywhere else that does maternity in small back/ big cup sizes?

We got the cheaper Hauck buggy for travelling last year. It's not great tbh. I've abandoned it for a second hand Maclaren Quest I got on Adverts for €35. If you want a lightweight second buggy and you don't want to spend too much, I would really recommend getting something second hand. With the Maclaren, you can take the cover off & wash it.

The muslins are great, I got loads. The baby clothes aren't too bad, but the only thing that bugged me about them was the print on the tags washed off really quickly so I couldn't tell which size they were. The cellular blankets are also good. I like to use a few lighter ones together, rather than one heavier one. Don't like the fleece blankets - I think the babies get too hot. And people will give you lots of lovely blankets. The fitted sheets are nice and soft & wash well.

We also got this wooden high chair, looks the part, but himself wouldn't stop climbing out of it. So I picked up an unused Ikea one in the charity shop for €2. Don't use the tray, it's just pushed up against the table, so he eats off the table like the rest of us. It also comes apart quickly (if you want to bring it anywhere) and it's very easy to clean.

I find the Aldi nappies great. We use them for daytime, and Pampers Baby Dry for nighttime.

If you're going to use soothers, these are the best price you're going to find.

Nappy bins, waste of money IMO. If your baby does a crap, bag it & put it straight in the black bin. It's gonna stink no matter how good your nappy bin is. And emptying them/cleaning them is MANKY. The nappy sacks are good - also great for poop scooping. Good large bags with long tie handles.

I'm also going to abandon the moses basket this time. Straight to the cot. They really only last a few weeks at most in them & our bassinet for the buggy (Uppababy) is certifed for overnight sleeping if required. I found them creaky and awkward for getting the baby out for midnight feeds.

The v-shaped pillows just take up a rake of room, and are never in the place that you want them when you go to feed. I got slim Ikea cushions that I left on most of the couches/seats in the house. Which were the perfect size for lying the baby on for a feed. The only thing the v-shaped cushions were great for were when he started to sit up on his own. He would be hugged nicely without falling over.

The food pots are pretty good value - I got similar in the euro store.

They usually have two baby events (at least) a year, so you'll get them at some stage! And Lidl will do them too. I did find it busier than usual, but not too mental. Maybe as there's a couple of Aldi's nearby (I'm in D8).

Hope that helps! I'm a big advocate of not buying too much baby clap-trap. Most of it is superfluous!

OH! And on maternity bras, it's going to be hard to find out what size you're going to need. I never really changed size at all, but I REALLY needed support just when he was born as your boobs turn into rocks and painful ones at that!
    So, surprisingly, these are quite reasonable in JoJo Maman Bebe, and they're really comfy. They come in one size per back measurement. So they're always going to fit & will keep you going until you can pop into town & get a more fitted bra. I still wear mine.

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+emma-jane-seam-free-maternity-nursing-bras-in-breastfeeding-underwear-and-products+b7522

I didn't use a nappy bin at all, but then I switched to cloth full time before my boy was 12 weeks.

My sister got a nappy bin as a surprise at her shower and loves it. Mainly cos she lives in an apartment and its 4 flights of stairs into the underground car park to get to the main bin! Saves her kitchen getting stinky.

Also loved the avent soothers, my boy didn't like the orthodontic ones I tried to give him. Their tomee tipee bowls and cutlery and cups are great when your child starts weaning.
    Again never used any pots or purées really as did baby led weaning.
    I miss my proper highchair! Got a lovely one in mamas and papas where the top layer of the tray comes off leaving the underside tray clean. Have an ikea one here in Germany and hate it. All the food falls in his lap.
    The on,y problem I have with Tripp trap and similar is that any time I've used them in restaurants etc, I find it very hard to get my chunky boy in and out. Kinda feel like Im squishing him in!
    Must get measured in Marks and Sparks when I get home. I'm definitly up at least one cup size, I'm spilling out everywhere lol! I find lace itchy so i avoid like the plague!

I don't seem to need a new bra yet, I'm not big anyway, only a 34B, so I don't feel like I've got too big. I felt as though I had shrunk in size before I got pregnant, and was going to get measured anyway as I felt I'd gone down a cup size, so I think I've just gone back up again really!

I don't think I'll do anything yet, but wondering will I need to get measured before buying a nursing bra? I guess I'll get a bit bigger when the baby comes! I'm not used to having fuller boobs, I lost out on that side of things compared to my sisters & mom! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

My chest hasn't changed cup size through pregnancy or breastfeeding, my band size went up about 3-4 inches when pregnant though with my bizarre non bump that just made my ribs flare! I'm still wearing the 34DD maternity bras I bought at 5 months pregnant, took off extender when he was a few months old I think. I got measured for nursing bras when he was 4 weeks old but I'm just a fuller DD rather than being bigger so I stuck with existing bras. And me and nursing bras don't get on, the clipping and unclipping drives me mad!

I would say wait 3-4 weeks for milk to come in and supply be established before getting measured for nursing bra. Just pick up some cheapies in Penneys or fb selling page in whatever size you are a few weeks before baby arrives.

My boobs have been a telltale from the get-go. When I started telling people over Christmas that I was pregnant, quite a few of my friends said they had guessed because my boobs were massive. I think the growing has calmed down a good bit since then, but Ive gone from a C to a DD so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement