Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

July 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

My boobs are the same - I've gone from DD after my weight loss to EE now - refuse to say I'm an F! That's a ridiculous size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My boobs are the same - I've gone from DD after my weight loss to EE now - refuse to say I'm an F! That's a ridiculous size

Far from it! :pac:

I've gone up 6 cup sizes (30FF to 32J) and they're still totally dwarfed by the planetary object that is my bump at nearly 33 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

Hi all, just joining in now. I need people to moan to :) I'm due 23rd of July. I have a 2.5 year old already. I'm still nauseous and exhausted. Can't wait till it lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Hey Couchkitten welcome to the club! I'm the same as you, have a 2.5 year old too. Hope you feel better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

We're at 15 weeks, one day. Found out we're having a boy during an ultrasound. Thrilled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

FURET wrote: »
    We're at 15 weeks, one day. Found out we're having a boy during an ultrasound. Thrilled!

We're 15+1 too! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I got my first pair of maternity jeans today! I ended up getting a pair in New look and they fit well. I could probably get away with folding down the over the bump panel for now. I wanted a few colours but only found a blue pair for now as places seemed to be out of my size! I didn't find H&M's selection that great and any that I liked again didn't have my size!
    I'll have a look in next again as I have a voucher to use so will get another colour.
    Can't believe I'm almost 18 weeks! ☺️

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think I felt something just now!! It was like a flutter but I felt it twice very quickly! Its probably my imagination, but who knows! I'm 18 weeks tomorrow, so maybe!?

Its going to be so strange to start feeling the baby, strange but good :)

Only gets better from here on in Ciarrai! My little man has started talking to my tummy and checking with me that the baby can hear him. He would like it to be a girl (so would we!) and keeps calling the baby she. I am afraid to jinx it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Haha I'm exactly the same holding! I'm trying not to get my hopes up for a girl but it's really hard. Last time when we found out it was a boy I was sad for about 3 days. Think I'd be extra sad this time as its my last pregnancy.

Feeling plenty of fluttering here too! Flight was fairly easy other than long! Couldn't sleep on the first one that was 6 hrs because I could feel baby moving loads. Then was weecked, and my son wouldn't sleep at all on the second flight. Was dying of exhaustion and then had to get a boat ride out to our island! But anyway we are here and it is gorgeous and so relaxing! No cooking for a week lol!

Haha I'm exactly the same holding! I'm trying not to get my hopes up for a girl but it's really hard. Last time when we found out it was a boy I was sad for about 3 days. Think I'd be extra sad this time as its my last pregnancy.

Feeling plenty of fluttering here too! Flight was fairly easy other than long! Couldn't sleep on the first one that was 6 hrs because I could feel baby moving loads. Then was weecked, and my son wouldn't sleep at all on the second flight. Was dying of exhaustion and then had to get a boat ride out to our island! But anyway we are here and it is gorgeous and so relaxing! No cooking for a week lol!

I would like a girl too, but obviously it doesn't matter! I keep thinking its a girl, I've had that feeling the whole time. I'm not sure if its because I want one, but I generally refer to it as she all the time and imagine it as a girl! It'll probably be a boy now! lol

We don't have our next scan until 28 weeks, so 10 more weeks to go. I don't know if we will decide to find out the gender then or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

We are (secretly) hoping for a boy. Because boys are older! And then we will go again, and have a little sister - because girls are younger! Obviously, we know it doesn't happen just like that, and we will be thrilled if we have a healthy baby, and even more thrilled if we can have a second one soon(ish) after, but if we had a boy, then a girl, it would be the icing on the cake.

We are both pretty convinced its a girl though.

Also statistics (not the mathematical application, but the this-is-how-I-perceive-the-world-to-be genre of statistics) tells us that it will be a girl too. Because in the last 5 years, of our family and friends who have had babies (maybe 15-20 babies), all but 2 have been boys. Which means we will have to balance it out by having girls - its science!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

At 12 weeks, we sort of pressured the radiologist to make an educated guess as to the baby's sex.

- My wife was hoping for a girl
    - I was hoping for a boy

The radiologist said it was too early to tell at 12 weeks, but were she a betting woman, she would say there was a 70% probability of being a girl. But she added the caveat to not buy any clothes just yet.

Nevertheless, I assumed it was going to be a girl and my wife started to refer to the baby as "she".

Then we did another ultrasound at 15 weeks, and it was immediately obvious that the baby is male. My wife I think is a little disappointed. She was looking forward to dressing up a little girl. A colleague of mine says his wife was inconsolable for a full day after learning that her second and final baby will be a boy, as now she will have two boys.

I was very happy at the news that it will be a boy. Men in my family have used a particular first name since at least the 1720s, and I was really looking forward to continuing that tradition and naming my son in this way. Such an odd thing to concern me, one I would never have imagined would matter to me, but it really does matter to me somehow.

Anyway, I told my wife we will try for another one later and she will hopefully get her wish then, as we will only have two.

The thing is, I don't want to go through a third pregnancy. This one has been horrible so far, and I really don't want to take a chance it'll be the same again, but then with two lunatic boys running around! Then, I could end up with a third lunatic boy lol! ( I love my little monkey but damn he is hard work!) so I really need this to be a girl, or else I may try and convince myself to go again lol

My husband waS so happy when our first was a boy. We'd spent a few weeks previously with friends of ours and they have 3 boys and a girl. My husband and all their boys spent hours running round the house and garden with nerf guns and building forts it was lovely. He had such a great time!

• Advertisement

The thing is, I don't want to go through a third pregnancy. This one has been horrible so far, and I really don't want to take a chance it'll be the same again, but then with two lunatic boys running around! Then, I could end up with a third lunatic boy lol! ( I love my little monkey but damn he is hard work!) so I really need this to be a girl, or else I may try and convince myself to go again lol

My husband waS so happy when our first was a boy. We'd spent a few weeks previously with friends of ours and they have 3 boys and a girl. My husband and all their boys spent hours running round the house and garden with nerf guns and building forts it was lovely. He had such a great time!

This is defo our last. We had to really think about having a second, and TBH we don't physically have the room for a third.

Don't know what I'd do with a girl! I'm so used to a boy now. Better the devil you know I suppose. But I really don't care what it will be (not in a flippant way) just happy to have it here safe.

It took us 6 years for me to get pregnant, eventually having to go down the fertility route and doing IUI, which amazingly worked first time!

I don't know if I want another after this one. Too soon to make that decision, but I am turning 40 this year (which I'm not happy about!), and I never wanted to be this age having a baby, let alone be having my first now. Obviously we'll see how things go, but if there was a chance I was going to have trouble getting pregnant again, then I don't think I want to go through all the fertility again...especially with the costs involved!

Ideally I wouldn't want to have an only child, but its not the end of the world either!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bingwhoosh

This is definitely our last too, I'm 42 in April so am definitely hanging up my shoes!!
    Hubby would love a little boy, I'm easy either way, would be lovely to experience both but on other hand would be lovely having 2 girls and hopefully they would grow up great buddies (never mind the savings on having all the girls stuff already!)
    He did suggest if it wasn't a boy to go again straight away but he got shot down immediately so hasn't broached the subject again since. I don't think my body could take it again, this pregnancy has been so much harder even though its only been 3 years.

I totally felt movement tonight! I was just lying on the couch and it was more than a flutter this time, and it made me jump! It was like a little kick on the left side of my tummy! Its happened a few times tonight, and its definitely baby! Its such a mad feeling!! :)

• Advertisement

I felt some soft little gurgles last week. The nothing noticeable really, until yesterday afternoon evening. Since then I've been feeling regular little movements varying from gurgles to pulses to what I think were tiny kicks. Felt a good few throughout yesterday evening, and again this morning. So lovely and exciting.

I felt some soft little gurgles last week. The nothing noticeable really, until yesterday afternoon evening. Since then I've been feeling regular little movements varying from gurgles to pulses to what I think were tiny kicks. Felt a good few throughout yesterday evening, and again this morning. So lovely and exciting.

yes it was like a pulsing feeling, but the first time it was quite strong! I actually got quite emotional too! Then I was kind of like, oh it feels weird, not sure about it, to then thinking when will I feel it again...strange emotions going on after it! lol

So, I have my first midwives clinic next week. (So far I have had the 12 week scan and the Booking In Appointment, both at the hospital (UHG), and have only been to my GP at 6 weeks to confirm the pregnancy).

As far as I'm aware, the midwives clinic is the equivalent of seeing the consultant in the hospital, just in UHG (and some other hospitals) they offer midwife led maternity care to low risk pregnancies.

I will be 18 weeks plus 4.

My husband is wondering if he should take the time off work to come to the clinic with me. Does anyone know what to expect at this? I don't think there will be scans (Im booked in for the 20 week scan (actually at 21 weeks) at the start of March, and as far as I know, I just get the 2 scans (12 and 20 weeks)). Id imagine it will just be urine test and maybe a Doppler to finally hear this kids heart beating!

So, I have my first midwives clinic next week. (So far I have had the 12 week scan and the Booking In Appointment, both at the hospital (UHG), and have only been to my GP at 6 weeks to confirm the pregnancy).

As far as I'm aware, the midwives clinic is the equivalent of seeing the consultant in the hospital, just in UHG (and some other hospitals) they offer midwife led maternity care to low risk pregnancies.

I will be 18 weeks plus 4.

My husband is wondering if he should take the time off work to come to the clinic with me. Does anyone know what to expect at this? I don't think there will be scans (Im booked in for the 20 week scan (actually at 21 weeks) at the start of March, and as far as I know, I just get the 2 scans (12 and 20 weeks)). Id imagine it will just be urine test and maybe a Doppler to finally hear this kids heart beating!

My husband booked time off for all my hospital appointments, mainly because you get a mini scan at them all. But I don't think midwives scan. Might be more like the combined care at the gp appointment? At those I got urine test, heartbeat and she just felt my stomach a bit to check position f baby.

Mould he like to hear the heart beat?

At the midwives clinic they normally just check your urine, your blood pressure and listen to the heartbeat and also check the position that the baby is lying in. They also just ask how things are going etc and if you have any issues or worries. Once you are seen you are in and out in no time.
    My husband only goes to the hospital appointments so he can see the scan. Coming near the end the midwives will be every two weeks so would mean him having to take a good bit of time off work. But everyone's different!!

Yea, that's what I figured. He came to the scan. He also came to the first gp appointment, just because we were so excited, but said he felt like a spare tool in there - there was nothing really he could contribute. Both of those were times he wouldn't have been at work anyway.
    But then he came to the Booking In Appointment, which was all waiting around for me to give bloods, wee etc. He had told his boss hed be a bit late in that morning, but felt awful when it was after lunch by the time he made his way to the office.

I'm dying to hear the heartbeat, and I'm sure he would love to too. Ill let him make the call, now that I can tell him what is likely to happen at it.

Thanks girls

Yea, that's what I figured. He came to the scan. He also came to the first gp appointment, just because we were so excited, but said he felt like a spare tool in there - there was nothing really he could contribute. Both of those were times he wouldn't have been at work anyway.
    But then he came to the Booking In Appointment, which was all waiting around for me to give bloods, wee etc. He had told his boss hed be a bit late in that morning, but felt awful when it was after lunch by the time he made his way to the office.

I'm dying to hear the heartbeat, and I'm sure he would love to too. Ill let him make the call, now that I can tell him what is likely to happen at it.

Thanks girls

So I still haven't got the flu vaccine and I still can't decide whether or not to get it. I spoke to a female pharmacist last week, who coincidently was also pregnant. She said she personally didn't get it this time. I said to her that I wasn't too sure about it and that like her I work in retail with the public, so I don't tend to get sick very often anymore. She agreed that we tend to build up a resistance to things when dealing with public, but she said its up to me whether to get it or not.

Now this morning, they were urging people on radio to get the vaccine due to an outbreak and a few deaths. I feel its a bit of scaremongering, but I'm still in two minds. I've never had the vaccine and I'm really wary of it, so I just don't know what to do.

I haven't got it either and had no intention of getting it either but then listening to all on the radio this morning I was starting to change my mind. Now I've had the morning to think I'll probably not get it as I think it is a lot of scaremongering.
    I was at gp 2 weeks ago and she was of the attitude that I was healthy and rarely ever get sick so why bother. She was extremely blase about it.
    It's a hard one to call.

How is everyones bumps progressing. I am huge, was in agony when I got home from yesterday as was bent over at desk all day. I usually take a walk around office for a couple of mins every hour but didn't get chance yesterday. I was whinging to hubby about how will I manage another 22 weeks of this. I'd say I am the same size now as I was at 7/8 months on my last pregnancy.

• Advertisement

I got the flu jab at my first gp appointment, at 6 weeks. Is there a specific reason that ye are choosing not to get it? Other than being healthy (probably resistant), and the vaccine working against last years strain of the virus?
    - Like, why not err on the side of caution, or is there a potential harm in getting the jab that is making ye reluctant to risk it?

I'm still hiding it under long loose clothes, but I have a pretty good sized bump at this stage.

Bingwhoosh wrote: »
    I haven't got it either and had no intention of getting it either but then listening to all on the radio this morning I was starting to change my mind. Now I've had the morning to think I'll probably not get it as I think it is a lot of scaremongering.
    I was at gp 2 weeks ago and she was of the attitude that I was healthy and rarely ever get sick so why bother. She was extremely blase about it.
    It's a hard one to call.

How is everyones bumps progressing. I am huge, was in agony when I got home from yesterday as was bent over at desk all day. I usually take a walk around office for a couple of mins every hour but didn't get chance yesterday. I was whinging to hubby about how will I manage another 22 weeks of this. I'd say I am the same size now as I was at 7/8 months on my last pregnancy.

Yeah, its scaremongering alright. I rarely even get a cold and when I do its gone very quick. Apart from this time where my sniffling has lingered a bit longer than usual, but its the time of year too.

I know my GP will ask me in a couple of weeks if I got it, but it is my decision and I know he's only trying to cover his back too.

I've got a lot bigger in the past week, I'm not sure how big I should be, but I feel kinda big for 18 weeks!? Everyone is different I guess. Someone commented to my husband that I'll have a boy cos I look kind of big. Don't know how they figured that one so early on! I don't know how you can tell! lol

I got the flu jab at my first gp appointment, at 6 weeks. Is there a specific reason that ye are choosing not to get it? Other than being healthy (probably resistant), and the vaccine working against last years strain of the virus?
    - Like, why not err on the side of caution, or is there a potential harm in getting the jab that is making ye reluctant to risk it?

I'm still hiding it under long loose clothes, but I have a pretty good sized bump at this stage.

I've heard too many bad stories about it and anyone I know said they ended up being sick after it, including my dad who always ends up with a form of the flu after having the vaccine. He didn't get the vaccine this time, and hasn't been sick! So I just don't really know. As I said, I never had the vaccine, so I personally don't feel like I want to get it. I know a good few ladies who didn't get it when pregnant. I also feel its a bit late now as if I was to get it, I should have got it before Christmas!

Oh right, I suppose if your immune system is low, maybe even a tiny dose of the virus, like you get in a vaccine, could bring your system down and make you sick. I hadn't considered that.
    I never had it before either, but I was never a high-risk (pregnant, +65, chronically ill) before. And Im NEVER sick, thank God.
    For what its worth, I had a red arm for a day, and that was it.

Oh right, I suppose if your immune system is low, maybe even a tiny dose of the virus, like you get in a vaccine, could bring your system down and make you sick. I hadn't considered that.
    I never had it before either, but I was never a high-risk (pregnant, +65, chronically ill) before. And Im NEVER sick, thank God.
    For what its worth, I had a red arm for a day, and that was it.

The virus is totally inert, it cannot cause any sickness. You might have an immune reaction to the initial jab, and some soreness around the injection site. I don't think it's scaremongering. People are dying, and hospitals are being inundated with people presenting with flu. If you have the opportunity to avoid this (it could be very serious) I don't see why you wouldn't. Even if you don't usually get sick, your immune system is weakened by pregnancy (so you don't reject the foetus) so you're extra susceptible to infection.

Which reminds me, I must get my whooping cough vaccination next week.

Do you need the whooping cough vaccine? I was told on my last pregnancy it was only for babies born in winter? As the immunity doesn't last them past a couple of weeks past birth (if at all)

Thankfully I had an update to all my jabs when I went on honeymoon 5 hrs ago so didn't even have to think about the risks of getting the whooping vaccine debate.

Usually I look at what the UK standard is, as they are generally years ahead of us on that front and then go from there. If I hadn't gotten an update recently I wouldn't be injecting my body with anything while pregnant.

Do you need the whooping cough vaccine? I was told on my last pregnancy it was only for babies born in winter? As the immunity doesn't last them past a couple of weeks past birth (if at all)

Thankfully I had an update to all my jabs when I went on honeymoon 5 hrs ago so didn't even have to think about the risks of getting the whooping vaccine debate.

Usually I look at what the UK standard is, as they are generally years ahead of us on that front and then go from there. If I hadn't gotten an update recently I wouldn't be injecting my body with anything while pregnant.

• Advertisement

Do you need the whooping cough vaccine?

My GP mentioned it to me last time I was in - I'll ask her again. On my first pregnancy she said it wasn't required, as there weren't many cases around at the time. I'll go with her recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Usually I look at what the UK standard is, as they are generally years ahead of us on that front and then go from there.

I think you'll find the NHS recommend both the flu vaccine and the whopping cough vaccine for pregnant women. If there was any risk whatsoever with either vaccine the NHS, the HSE and medical professionals here wouldn't be advising to get them.

Yeah I suppose if they knew of any risks they wouldn't be offering it, just that my gp told me last time since no one can test anything on pregnant women, they have no idea if any of these vaccines have any ill effects on foetuses. Also with regards to the whooping cough one my gp said there is no evidence that any immunity is actually passed onto the baby. Unless possibly if you breastfeed. But there is no proof either way so that's why it's always left to the mum to decide. I'd happily take any vaccine they wanted if they could prove anything.

Yeah I suppose if they knew of any risks they wouldn't be offering it, just that my gp told me last time since no one can test anything on pregnant women, they have no idea if any of these vaccines have any ill effects on foetuses. Also with regards to the whooping cough one my gp said there is no evidence that any immunity is actually passed onto the baby. Unless possibly if you breastfeed. But there is no proof either way so that's why it's always left to the mum to decide. I'd happily take any vaccine they wanted if they could prove anything.

Both the NHS & HSE quote that antibodies ARE passed onto the baby, a sufficient amount which would bring them to their first vaccination date. And there's also an extensive study done, quoted in the BMJ regarding 20k women & safety of the pertussis vaccination http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g4219

That's not what my doc told me a few years ago, or what I found from my research then. But perhaps I didn't dig too far as I didn't have to.
    I knew a mum in a parenting group when my son was little who said she got the vaccine and her baby got whooping cough anyway, so I don't think its a guarantee. Very bit helps though!

That's not what my doc told me a few years ago, or what I found from my research then. But perhaps I didn't dig too far as I didn't have to.
    I knew a mum in a parenting group when my son was little who said she got the vaccine and her baby got whooping cough anyway, so I don't think its a guarantee. Very bit helps though!

• Advertisement

Popping in for a bit of a second trimester moan! Overall feeling much better than first trimester, but is anyone else getting bleeding gums? I looked it up and apparently it's common in pregnancy (YAY). Also am very out of breath half the time. OK rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

holding wrote: »
    Popping in for a bit of a second trimester moan! Overall feeling much better than first trimester, but is anyone else getting bleeding gums? I looked it up and apparently it's common in pregnancy (YAY). Also am very out of breath half the time. OK rant over!

Yeah, I have had few nights of bleeding gums, very little though!

Second trimester is better but I threw up my breakfast this morning.. Meh...

My teeth are in bits! Chipped a tooth before xmas, thankfully not painful! Still have to get it fixed... I get a Pretty random tooth ache about once a week for 3 nights. Only comes on in the evening and stops me sleeping properly. Taking paracetamol doesn't really seem to help :(

Must schedule a trip to the dentist when I return. Think my teeth are fecked from so much vomiting. Thankfully not too much bleeding gums but I know my dentist is gonna scold me lol!

My teeth are in bits! Chipped a tooth before xmas, thankfully not painful! Still have to get it fixed... I get a Pretty random tooth ache about once a week for 3 nights. Only comes on in the evening and stops me sleeping properly. Taking paracetamol doesn't really seem to help :(

Must schedule a trip to the dentist when I return. Think my teeth are fecked from so much vomiting. Thankfully not too much bleeding gums but I know my dentist is gonna scold me lol!

My skin has got a bit blotchy, make-up doesn't seem to hide it too well so it looks uneven :(
    Then I've got a crack at the side of my mouth, which I get now and again if I feel run down, but this has been there for over a week now and hurts to open my mouth to eat!

• Advertisement
Advertisement