Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

July 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

brokensoul wrote: »
    Im not due til August so am a bit of an interloper into this thread!

This precise thing has happened to me in the last few weeks though. My skin blotches are more than likely psoriasis I think as I suffer from that anyway, but the cuts on the corner of my mouth are so fecking sore.

If I get those cuts I usually take a course of L Lysine but my pharmacist mentioned that they are not tested on pregnant women so though they would probably be fine they couldn't be certain that they would be. So I am stuck to sudocream and lip balm.

Brokensoul, Have those cuts on your mouth cleared up yet? Mine haven't and its on both sides now. I've tried everything at this stage. I put tea tree oil on it the past couple of nights, but its not helping either. Its so noticeable now and really annoying me. It looks like a cold sore, but I know its not. I am going to the GP on Monday so if they haven't cleared up by then I'll ask him what he can advise me to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flutterby80

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Is that sometimes referred to as 'lightening crotch'? I remember hearing someone say it before! I don't think I've been getting it, but I am still getting a few ligament stretch pains. I can't believe I'm 19 weeks, its crazy!!:)

Lightening crotch!! I love it! Yes the weeks are flying by, we are almost half way there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Lightening crotch!! I love it! Yes the weeks are flying by, we are almost half way there!

its crazy! We had a look at a few cars today. We currently drive a commercial car, so we have to change that obviously! I am looking forward to getting a new car! :) Then it will be the baby stuff! I haven't even started clearing out the wardrobes in what will be the baby room! It currently has all my summer clothing, which most of will not even be worn this year!
    I need to buy a new wardrobe for the other spare room as there's none in there, so I can make room for the baby clothes! My husband's stuff is everywhere and a HUGE declutter is required. I am looking forward to that as I've been nagging him for what seems like forever to bag up all his old clothes that he never wears and he never does it! I wish could just do it for him, but he would FREAK!! I am dying to get this whole house decluttered, so thank God we have a reason to do it now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I don't think I've ever had lightening crotch lol! I do get a ridiculous sharp pain when I sneeze though!

Need to do a massive clear out myself. Will be great if I can find out the gender next week, then I'll know if I should keep all the boys clothes I've been hoarding so far! My sister has a massive issue with second hand so doesn't want anything of ours.

Make sure to get a big enough car! Car seats take up loads of room, especially if you go for extended rear facing after the infant seat. You can't turn a child forward facing now until 15 months. My boy outgrew the infant one by 11 months ( some kids can make it to 18 months you just never know!)
    Isofix is important, as well as having doors to the back seats. If any of your friends have kids ask to sit in their cars front seats so you can see how squashed you might be!

I don't think I've ever had lightening crotch lol! I do get a ridiculous sharp pain when I sneeze though!

Need to do a massive clear out myself. Will be great if I can find out the gender next week, then I'll know if I should keep all the boys clothes I've been hoarding so far! My sister has a massive issue with second hand so doesn't want anything of ours.

Make sure to get a big enough car! Car seats take up loads of room, especially if you go for extended rear facing after the infant seat. You can't turn a child forward facing now until 15 months. My boy outgrew the infant one by 11 months ( some kids can make it to 18 months you just never know!)
    Isofix is important, as well as having doors to the back seats. If any of your friends have kids ask to sit in their cars front seats so you can see how squashed you might be!

We have to get a big enough car for work anyway, as we won't be keeping the commercial one. My husband needs it to be fairly big. We have a Hyundi, so hoping to get another one as they are so reliable. I asked the Isofix question today! My husband didn't seem to know what I was asking it for! lol

Ideally we would have two cars, but we can only afford the one for the moment. Thankfully we don't live too far from work and its not a long walk to town, so we'll manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We have to get a big enough car for work anyway, as we won't be keeping the commercial one. My husband needs it to be fairly big. We have a Hyundi, so hoping to get another one as they are so reliable. I asked the Isofix question today! My husband didn't seem to know what I was asking it for! lol

ISOFIX comes on all cars after 2006 or something, so no problems there. Some cars are easier to fix to than others (we have a Volvo, it's a doddle, father in law had an Almera, was a pain in the hole) whatever you do, get one with a massive boot! We have an estate, which is so handy. We bring the dog, buggy and all the stuff on holidays with us. Also, the boot is so great if he needs a nappy change on the go, or getting him suited & booted up for hikes etc. Also, since the car doesn't have a 'lip' and dip down into the boot, it's much easier to get the buggy in and out, you essentially just slide it.

Also... leather. Easier to keep clean!

Oh yes large boot if you are planning to get a travel system!

I know a fair few people with ford mondeos. Great size for a family car. My husband has one too. Had it before kids so didn't know it'd be so handy! I've a prius, it's grand if it's just me and the kids as I'm short. But when we have 2 car seats in the back it'll be a very tight squeeze for him. Or else we'll have to move all the car seats to his car every weekend. Pain!

Also try and make sure you have the car, before you buy a car seat. My sister bought the bella baby package (I think?) and they sold her the seat and isofix base as her car had isofix. She only realsised when she put it in her car that it completely didn't suit. She demanded her money back on the base and they used it belted for a while but they had to go out and shell out 300 on a new seat that was compatible. Turns out their car had bucket seats that slope really badly and only a few seats can be used. Tony kealys were great and really helped them out but it was a lot of stress for the first few weeks that they really didn't need!

olaola wrote: »
    ISOFIX comes on all cars after 2006 or something, so no problems there. Some cars are easier to fix to than others (we have a Volvo, it's a doddle, father in law had an Almera, was a pain in the hole) whatever you do, get one with a massive boot! We have an estate, which is so handy. We bring the dog, buggy and all the stuff on holidays with us. Also, the boot is so great if he needs a nappy change on the go, or getting him suited & booted up for hikes etc. Also, since the car doesn't have a 'lip' and dip down into the boot, it's much easier to get the buggy in and out, you essentially just slide it.

My husband is also interested in an estate car! He was thinking of how much room he needs for work stuff and I was reminding him of how much room we need for pram etc! lol

Oh yes large boot if you are planning to get a travel system!

I know a fair few people with ford mondeos. Great size for a family car. My husband has one too. Had it before kids so didn't know it'd be so handy! I've a prius, it's grand if it's just me and the kids as I'm short. But when we have 2 car seats in the back it'll be a very tight squeeze for him. Or else we'll have to move all the car seats to his car every weekend. Pain!

Also try and make sure you have the car, before you buy a car seat. My sister bought the bella baby package (I think?) and they sold her the seat and isofix base as her car had isofix. She only realsised when she put it in her car that it completely didn't suit. She demanded her money back on the base and they used it belted for a while but they had to go out and shell out 300 on a new seat that was compatible. Turns out their car had bucket seats that slope really badly and only a few seats can be used. Tony kealys were great and really helped them out but it was a lot of stress for the first few weeks that they really didn't need!

We'll definitely have the car before the car seat as we need to change it ASAP. We need to sort out the credit union loan too....oh the joys of all this expense! lol

• Advertisement

My husband is also interested in an estate car! He was thinking of how much room he needs for work stuff and I was reminding him of how much room we need for pram etc! lol

Great for everything. Ikea trips, going to the dump... Even last summer we were camping in Killarney and it was lashing rain & a friend's tent leaked - so they decamped to our car. The double mattress fitted perfectly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

What do ye think of rocking chairs? I think I will get one but not sure if I will really use it

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Brokensoul, Have those cuts on your mouth cleared up yet? Mine haven't and its on both sides now. I've tried everything at this stage. I put tea tree oil on it the past couple of nights, but its not helping either. Its so noticeable now and really annoying me. It looks like a cold sore, but I know its not. I am going to the GP on Monday so if they haven't cleared up by then I'll ask him what he can advise me to do.

They have, I used the cream that I use for my psoriasis on it and it worked. That might just be specific to me though as I suffer from it a bit, though never on my face before now.

The joys of it ;-)

brokensoul wrote: »
    They have, I used the cream that I use for my psoriasis on it and it worked. That might just be specific to me though as I suffer from it a bit, though never on my face before now.

The joys of it ;-)

Might borrow my dad's cream so! lol
    Everytime I think its calming down and getting better, it doesn't seem that way in the morning! I also read you can use canesten cream on it, but mine is out of date so don't think it will work! It looks so bad now cos its on both sides! I'm getting paranoid!

Cerocco wrote: »
    What do ye think of rocking chairs? I think I will get one but not sure if I will really use it

Having a comfy chair up beside the cot where you're going to feed is pretty essential, depends what you can fit I suppose. We have this from Ikea. It bounces if you want to have some movement, and is very comfy (I have fallen asleep in it!) The only thing I'd say about a rocking chair, is getting out of it with a sleeping baby, would it be tricky?

Having a comfy chair up beside the cot where you're going to feed is pretty essential, depends what you can fit I suppose. We have this from Ikea. It bounces if you want to have some movement, and is very comfy (I have fallen asleep in it!) The only thing I'd say about a rocking chair, is getting out of it with a sleeping baby, would it be tricky?

Have the exact same olaola!i also thought I'd have trouble getting out a rocking chair, and although the gliders are lovely, they were way out of budget. We used this chair a lot with our boy. We would sit in it and he'd have his bottle and we'd read him a book, then rock him to sleep. Can't wait to get it out again!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

I wouldn't go mad buying baby stuff or getting rooms ready, although I know it's exciting. I did the same with my first. As it turns out, we got a TON of donated stuff from friends - clothes and toys - we were really overwhelmed with the amount. Also little guy is 2.5 now and still sleeps with us, so even though when I was pregnant I had a ball getting his 'nursery' ready, he has never slept in a different room to us! Rocking chair - I actually really want one just for chilling in, never mind the baby, so it's totally on my list, but I found myself that at night time it was easiest to just feed the baby in bed (daddy's job is to get up and change him!), and during the day I fed him while lazing on the couch watching Netflix. Different strokes obviously but that was how it went for us.

Yeah we didn't do a nursery either. Little man didn't go into his own room until about 13/14 months. I literally just made my husband set up the changing table and I organised and washed all his clothes for the first few months in the wardrobe and drawers.
    We had the bouncy chair in the sitting room as it was more supportive of my back than the sofa for feeding! Had a cosleeper cot in our room too. Even tho I eventually did up his big cot for show!

Yes even though he sleeps in our room, he's in his own space (eh, most of the time!). He actually slept in his moses basket thingy til 9 months, and after that in a cot. He's 2.5 now like I said and actually still fits no bother in his cot. The side of it is gone, so he just calls it his 'little bed', and he has a pillow etc that he wouldn't have had as a baby. Anyway, just to say that you'll end up doing what suits you and the babs, rather than following a timeline from a book ;)

Was in H&M off Grafton st today, good range of maternity gear. Some nice tops (9.99 - 14.99) that I think I'll defo go back & get. Loads of leggings & loads of jeans, & sizes. I think the jeans were €29.99?

• Advertisement

Was in H&M off Grafton st today, good range of maternity gear. Some nice tops (9.99 - 14.99) that I think I'll defo go back & get. Loads of leggings & loads of jeans, & sizes. I think the jeans were €29.99?

I thought the jeans were €29.99, but they were the sterling price! They are €39.99! Although there may be cheaper ones there too, I can't remember.

I'm in Dublin tomorrow afternoon - does anyone know if the big Penneys on Mary St has a good selection of maternity? Just looking for a few basics cheers

I think k if anywhere is gonna have the maternity stuff the flagship penny's on Mary street will have it. Think they stock everything!

holding wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin tomorrow afternoon - does anyone know if the big Penneys on Mary St has a good selection of maternity? Just looking for a few basics cheers

Pretty sure they were the store who had it all along. But now they seem to have maternity wear back in across the country! Not much in my local one, only jeans & two colours at that, but they had the underwear upstairs!

Nope! Nothing but underwear - I was in on Saturday & asked. Unless they have stuff on O'Connell st? Not sure.

I thought the jeans were €29.99, but they were the sterling price! They are €39.99! Although there may be cheaper ones there too, I can't remember.

Hm, I'm pretty sure they were the Eur price, I could be wrong! I'll be going back in to get them again anyway. Will check then.

Ohh, just see you can buy online from UK site, could use Parcel Wizard or Parcel Motel to get them delivered here.

Ah thanks guys will just head straight to New Look or H and M so and not waste my time searching in that massive Penneys, cheers!

Hm, I'm pretty sure they were the Eur price, I could be wrong! I'll be going back in to get them again anyway. Will check then.

Ohh, just see you can buy online from UK site, could use Parcel Wizard or Parcel Motel to get them delivered here.

There may be ones there for €29.99, but I did bring up a pair to buy which I was sure said €29.99, but she asked for €39.99 and I was like what? It said £29.99! So I decided against them at that point as I wasn't too sure about them anyway, they were a little tight to pull up and I thought I'll end up regretting it. So when I realised they were €10 more I left them behind! I was in the Cork store, and I didn't think their range was great, but the Dublin stores may have a better selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I heard my baby's heartbeat this morning - swoon! I good strong, fast beat which she found the second she put the yoke on my belly!
    All good in terms of my bloods, iron levels, urine etc.
    The midwife got the trainee midwife to have a feel of my belly as a model 18 1/2 week cervix! I knew I had a modelling career in me!

• Advertisement

I was looking at clothes in Penney's the other day and saw light loose fitting trousers that have an elasticated waist. I was thinking they'd be good for the warmer weather (whenever that may be!), but not sure if that kind of waist is ok to wear when bump is a lot bigger? I would assume it would be ok, just worn under the bump?

I actually have a pair of khaki coloured ones with cuffed legs in my wardrobe that I got last summer, which have an elasticated waist. It would be handy to be able to wear them! :) Its too cold now, but in the spring/summer they would be perfect!

Just wear whatever is comfy Ciarrai, no matter if the label says maternity or not. I do find that with trousers in particular thought that it was uncomfortable if the elastic was anywhere near cutting across the middle of the bump bit, so I preferred it either well above or just below, YMMV though!

Went shopping for maternity jeans in the Crescent in Limerick today, very disappointed! H & M only had sizes 8 and 18?! Got a pair in Mothercare which are grand but was pretty shocked that they were nearly fifty quid at the till. Well I will have to wear them every day to get that value out of them now :D

Just wear whatever is comfy Ciarrai, no matter if the label says maternity or not. I do find that with trousers in particular thought that it was uncomfortable if the elastic was anywhere near cutting across the middle of the bump bit, so I preferred it either well above or just below, YMMV though!

It would be nice to not have to buy all maternity clothes! The ones in Penneys are so cheap that I'll wear them after the baby too. At least with Penneys you can buy non maternity wear that will do for maternity & not spend a fortune! I'm a bit of a fan of clothes shopping as it is! :)

You'll also probably wear maternity for a good bit after baby too. You tend to have a small bump for a few weeks until you stop bleeding and then also if you end up having a c section, maternity tend to be gentler on that area.

I think us having summer babies will mean it'll def be cheaper on our pockets! I hope the summer will be decent enough to wear leggings and dresses. I'm a cold person and would wear jeans unless it was 18+ degrees!

I think I had two jeans & two leggings and about two or three tops. Everything else was regular wear (not the bottoms!) I just bought loads of long vests and wore them under my regular tops & the bump was kept cosy from draughts.
    FYI nursing 'wear' is GAK. It's all really Mumsy and horrid. I just used the same vests and my regular tops. So when it came time to feed, I just pulled up my top & was still covered by the vest.

• Advertisement

I think I had two jeans & two leggings and about two or three tops. Everything else was regular wear (not the bottoms!) I just bought loads of long vests and wore them under my regular tops & the bump was kept cosy from draughts.
    FYI nursing 'wear' is GAK. It's all really Mumsy and horrid. I just used the same vests and my regular tops. So when it came time to feed, I just pulled up my top & was still covered by the vest.

The nursing bras in Penneys were quite nice! Worth checking them out. They have cami/vests too and some nursing nighties!

The nursing bras in Penneys were quite nice! Worth checking them out. They have cami/vests too and some nursing nighties!

I bought a few bras, they're very 'unstretchy' and I couldn't WAIT to get them off at the end of the day! The nursing vests were great, and would give you enough support without a bra (well, my boobies anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bingwhoosh

I had my 20 week scan this morning, it was so clear and was so good to see junior doing his/hers acrobatics around the screen. All is good thank god, have a fibroid but had that on last pregnancy too and didn't cause any issues so have another scan at 32 weeks to check on it, which I am delighted as means I get to see baby again. Baby weighs 12oz so hard to imagine something so small has so many distinguishable features.

I was in New Look on Saturday and picked up a top and at the till got a voucher for 20% off from 24/02 till March(not sure of date). I was delighted as had seen a few things online I wanted and they didn't have them in store so will wait till then and get them at a discount! New Look I find is very true to size so hopefully will be no issues with that.

Heard the baby's heart beat this morning, woo!

Heard the baby's heart beat this morning, woo!

Me too! I had my routine GP appointment and everything is perfect thankfully :)

• Advertisement

Bump seems to have finally popped. Didn't look pregnant at all on Saturday, but this morning, it's pretty obvious! Don't feel any movements yet, sometimes some pressure, but no flutters. Last time my placenta was at the front, so it really took a while to feel much.

Big scan tomorrow so very excited! Bump and baba have kicked it up a notch. Defo look very pregnant and feeling a lot of kicks. Can't get my son to understand there's a baby in there yet tho ( well he is only 2!) he just hits my tummy , sticks his finger in my belly button and laughs!

Moving back to Ireland on sat so breaking myself cleaning and packing. Also can't find anywhere to live and terrified I'll be living with my mum for more than 3 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Went shopping for maternity jeans in the Crescent in Limerick today, very disappointed! H & M only had sizes 8 and 18?! Got a pair in Mothercare which are grand but was pretty shocked that they were nearly fifty quid at the till. Well I will have to wear them every day to get that value out of them now :D

I posted last week the very same thing - H&M cresent useless.
    I ended up buying a pair in next they were €41. They a little big yet cos I went for a size up but I'd say once I fit into them I've be living in the things cos I am not buying another pair at those prices!!

It's a boy!

Scan went really well. She spent 45 min with us checking everythign and its all perfect. She couldn't get a decent pic for us though as he was lying the wrong way the whole time.

I'm a little disappointed it's a boy but I think deep down I knew it would be. My husband says I can get a girl dog to redress the balance! Was looking forward to some shopping but oh well!

It's a boy!

Scan went really well. She spent 45 min with us checking everythign and its all perfect. She couldn't get a decent pic for us though as he was lying the wrong way the whole time.

I'm a little disappointed it's a boy but I think deep down I knew it would be. My husband says I can get a girl dog to redress the balance! Was looking forward to some shopping but oh well!

awh congratulations! Great to hear all is gong well.

I can imagine you are a little disappointed. I know we don't like to admit it, but when you have your heart set on a girl its obviously a little disappointing! I'm hoping for a girl, but I have a feeling it'll be a boy! lol I know I'll feel a bit disappointed, but obviously as long as its ok etc it won't matter!

How are you feeling sickness wise?

Penneys in Dundrum have maternity jeans (didn't have a look, just asked) think that's all they have.

awh congratulations! Great to hear all is gong well.

I can imagine you are a little disappointed. I know we don't like to admit it, but when you have your heart set on a girl its obviously a little disappointing! I'm hoping for a girl, but I have a feeling it'll be a boy! lol I know I'll feel a bit disappointed, but obviously as long as its ok etc it won't matter!

How are you feeling sickness wise?

Yeah I think most people will have a secret desire to have one or the other, especially if it's your last! But a healthy baby boy is the next best thing lol! I feel well enough but I'm still on the sickness tablets. I'm actually afraid to come off them! Since this week is mental packing etc I can't risk coming off them and losing two days to vomiting , so I promised the doc I'd try come off them next week when we are home.
    I did myself an injury yesterday. Picked my son up too many times, or in an awkward way or soemthing, but as the day progressed under my bump got more and more painful/stiff. Was very sore to sit and bend etc. so I went to bed early. Felt better this mornign but took my boy for a walk this afternoon and could feel the same ache and tightness. Hopefully haven't done myself an injury!

Anyone else going to find out the gender?

I asked in Penneys in Galway (Eyre Square) last week.
    The girl told me they only had jeans - I picked up a pair - they are grand, under the bump, which I don't love, a bit baggy for skinny jeans, but will do for messy work days.

While I was mooching I also found some great maternity t-shirt/vests, with built in bump support. I grabbed 3 for 1 euro each. They are very comfy.

They also had pjs and the likes, but I always buy my pjs big, so have no need for them. The girl in the nightwear section thought they just had pyjamas, and didn't know about the jeans.

Bottom line - have a look in the jeans section for maternity jeans, tops section for maternity tops, nightwear for maternity nightwear etc, rather than looking for a maternity section, and assuming there is nothing.

I'm totally in maternity clothes now. Other than leggings, and baggy tops, and loose dresses, none of my normal clothes fit anymore. I was squeezing into some of my bigger jeans and jeggings until the end of last week.

I got so pregnant this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bingwhoosh

Yeah I think most people will have a secret desire to have one or the other, especially if it's your last! But a healthy baby boy is the next best thing lol! I feel well enough but I'm still on the sickness tablets. I'm actually afraid to come off them! Since this week is mental packing etc I can't risk coming off them and losing two days to vomiting , so I promised the doc I'd try come off them next week when we are home.
    I did myself an injury yesterday. Picked my son up too many times, or in an awkward way or soemthing, but as the day progressed under my bump got more and more painful/stiff. Was very sore to sit and bend etc. so I went to bed early. Felt better this mornign but took my boy for a walk this afternoon and could feel the same ache and tightness. Hopefully haven't done myself an injury!

Anyone else going to find out the gender?

We were in two minds yesterday about finding out but decided to leave it as a surprise. We have a little girl already so hubby would love a wee boy but as you said once baby is healthy that's all we care about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement