Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

July 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Has anyone started to put together the baby bits for the hospital? I was thinking of starting this soon. I don't know what sort of bag to get for it though? I know you don't bring in much for the actual birth, just a small bag, but should I get some sort of nappy bag for that part? And where's a good place to get some nice ones?

Literally haven't bought a thing yet & starting to feel like we should do something soon!

I brought a small suitcase with me- Ryanair carry on size. In that I had the list of things the hospital advised me to bring. I also had the stuff for the baby immediately after delivery in a large ziplock bag so it would be easy to grab by my husband without any rooting around through the bag at that time.
    I did leave two other bags ready too. One was for when I was going home and on the day of release from the hospital I just texted my husband to bring that with him when he came in.
    The other bag I left in the boot of the car and had more clean underwear and the like for me and more baby gros and vests etc for the little one. If you're in and out quickly you won't need this bag but I was kept in for a week and so it was handy to have had it packed and ready rather than be asking my husband to pack the stuff for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

My GP text me this morning to say my blood count is slightly low (as predicted) so to take an iron supplement. At least I know why ive been feeling so tired & a bit faint (the low blood pressure). I used to be anemic in my late teens so it's not surprising! Plus I'm a redhead & apparently we are prone to it! No idea why!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

I've started to pick up small things for the hospital bag. I've a small bag for first day/night in, next bigger bag for whatever other days I have to stay in (here it's usually 3 days).

My hips are starting to play up, really annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Anyone else have restless legs? They are driving me mad!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

Cerocco wrote: »
    Anyone else have restless legs? They are driving me mad!!!

Nope, but I'm starting to get cramps now and then. Not as bad as last time, where I'd leap out of the bed in the middle of the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bingwhoosh

I had restless legs the last time and it is the most horrible thing ever, hope it doesn't kick in this time.

Anyone still getting sick, I hadn't got sick in about 3 weeks and then puked on Wednesday and twice this morning, I am so fed up with it at this stage.

Just back from gp for 24 week check up and all else is good though and on a really positive note I'm off to Lanzarote in the morning for a week, cannot wait to see and feel the sun, the in-laws are coming too so will be some extra help with our little one and hopefully I might get to escape for a nap or two along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I think I've got every pregnancy symptom going! Puking still, restless legs, itchy all over, nose bleeds, dodgy pelvis, super sense of smell, the list is endless! The itching is driving me nuts!
    Only thing I don't have is swelling or nice hair. Last time my hair got really think but I feel this time it's getting thinner :(
    Hope you have a great holiday the bit of sunshine I got a few weeks ago really helped me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I went to the hospital today as I felt like there was a really hard sort of lump in my lower abdomen since Thursday, which became quite uncomfortable and tender today. I found it even hard to walk properly, so I was a bit concerned. I rang the Midwives and they thought perhaps it may be a hernia. I thought it made sense as I've been coughing a lot the past week.

I was brought straight into the labour ward & given a bed in the admissions room. They were really quick to get me checked. I hadn't felt the baby move all morning either, and this was now 12pm, so the nurse prodded me a bit and checked the heartbeat, but thankfully, everything was fine and the baby started moving soon after! A male doctor checked me over too. He wasn't so sure it was a hernia, so he got a second opinion and a female doctor checked me over too. She also didn't think it was a hernia, so she decided to give me a scan.

Turns out, its shoulder is wedged into me and literally leaning on my pelvis! Its so uncomfortable, but the little MAN seems very comfy!! So yes, its a boy!! I wasn't planning on finding out, yet, and my husband wasn't even with me, but I spotted a little you know what and the doctor sort of blurted it out too! The midwife was laughing as I was shocked & not expecting to find out just yet! I'm a tiny bit disappointed, as I was hoping for a girl, but I sort of had a feeling lately it was a boy as I feel I am quite big for 24 weeks! My husband is delighted of course...although he would have loved to have been there to find out!
    At least it makes things a little easier with names etc etc!
    I just hope he moves a bit soon and gets his big wide shoulder out of the way! I think this fella is going to be a big one! :)

I went to the hospital today as I felt like there was a really hard sort of lump in my lower abdomen since Thursday, which became quite uncomfortable and tender today. I found it even hard to walk properly, so I was a bit concerned. I rang the Midwives and they thought perhaps it may be a hernia. I thought it made sense as I've been coughing a lot the past week.

I was brought straight into the labour ward & given a bed in the admissions room. They were really quick to get me checked. I hadn't felt the baby move all morning either, and this was now 12pm, so the nurse prodded me a bit and checked the heartbeat, but thankfully, everything was fine and the baby started moving soon after! A male doctor checked me over too. He wasn't so sure it was a hernia, so he got a second opinion and a female doctor checked me over too. She also didn't think it was a hernia, so she decided to give me a scan.

Turns out, its shoulder is wedged into me and literally leaning on my pelvis! Its so uncomfortable, but the little MAN seems very comfy!! So yes, its a boy!! I wasn't planning on finding out, yet, and my husband wasn't even with me, but I spotted a little you know what and the doctor sort of blurted it out too! The midwife was laughing as I was shocked & not expecting to find out just yet! I'm a tiny bit disappointed, as I was hoping for a girl, but I sort of had a feeling lately it was a boy as I feel I am quite big for 24 weeks! My husband is delighted of course...although he would have loved to have been there to find out!
    At least it makes things a little easier with names etc etc!
    I just hope he moves a bit soon and gets his big wide shoulder out of the way! I think this fella is going to be a big one! :)

Oh I'm so glad it wasn't anything serious! And also that the hospital took you seriously and looked after you. I remember the pain of having my first fellas foot stuck in my rib so I'm sure pelvis is much worse!

Yay another boy for July!

• Advertisement

How long can it take for the baby to switch positions? It's still the same after nearly 3 days and it's sore! I walked a good bit yesterday but no change. I had no Pilates class this week so I might do some of that today.

If this is a sign of things to come for rest of pregnancy it's going to be uncomfortable!!

The midwives were so lovely, I am looking forward to when I am in having the baby now! I'm not even private and I wasn't kept waiting at all! I felt silly going there as I wasn't sure it wa anything serious, which it wasn't but they were so nice about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Just in case anyone is interested, h and m in the crescent limerick have gotten in some new maternity clothes. Nothing fancy, but good staples at a good price.

How long can it take for the baby to switch positions? It's still the same after nearly 3 days and it's sore! I walked a good bit yesterday but no change. I had no Pilates class this week so I might do some of that today.

If this is a sign of things to come for rest of pregnancy it's going to be uncomfortable!!

The midwives were so lovely, I am looking forward to when I am in having the baby now! I'm not even private and I wasn't kept waiting at all! I felt silly going there as I wasn't sure it wa anything serious, which it wasn't but they were so nice about it!

Do you have a yoga ball you could bounce on?

Do you have a yoga ball you could bounce on?

I do! I was just saying that to my husband that I need to pump it up and sit on it!

A public patient here too, my hospital is limerick regional maternity. The nurse at my booking in appointment told me if I have any concerns at any time to pop over, better safe than sorry.

The last time I was pregnant - ten years ago, my gp really stressed the fact that if I had concerns or problems with my pregnancy I was to ring the maternity. The way he put it was that is what they deal with all day every day!

On a side note, my neighbour who had all sections, went fully private on her first, semi on her second, and public on her third, she reassured me she found great standard of care all three times.

I hope the baby moves soon chiarrai and you feel better.

I am starting to get pins and needles really bad, which means I will probably end up with carpal tunnel syndrome again, not serious but a nuisance, still getting sick every now and then bug nothing major.

I do! I was just saying that to my husband that I need to pump it up and sit on it!

Have you bought a pregnancy/birth book? Is there a section on stretches you can do? That might help as well, a google search might give a few suggestions, even if it only gives you relief from discomfort it may be a help.

• Advertisement

I got a great pair of jeans in H&M yesterday for €29.99. Good selection there (Near Gaiety) of all colours. And a good few tops too.

What are yer thoughts of buying stuff second hand? I've seen the travel system we want on Adverts for half price and they state it's spotless. I'm just reticent cuz it's our first and I think we should maybe buy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

What are yer thoughts of buying stuff second hand? I've seen the travel system we want on Adverts for half price and they state it's spotless. I'm just reticent cuz it's our first and I think we should maybe buy new.

I was talking to some friends about this this morning. They were under a lot of financial pressure when they had their baby and so got pretty much everything second hand from Adverts and Done Deal.

They reckon that they saved a fortune and that their baby was absolutely fine. They had the same concerns you have about getting everything new, but in hindsight they would recommend anyone to check second hand stuff out.

Car seats aside, obviously!

brokensoul wrote: »
    I was talking to some friends about this this morning. They were under a lot of financial pressure when they had their baby and so got pretty much everything second hand from Adverts and Done Deal.

They reckon that they saved a fortune and that their baby was absolutely fine. They had the same concerns you have about getting everything new, but in hindsight they would recommend anyone to check second hand stuff out.

Car seats aside, obviously!

Why not the car seat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Cerocco wrote:
    Why not the car seat?

In case it was involved in a crash or even a knock. It could be damaged but the damage not visible.

• Advertisement

Baby girl here! Alls good and baby is doing very well.

She gave out about my weight gain :( so I'm suppose to go on a 'diet' now or I'll end up with a big baby. Meh...

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Why not the car seat?

Tis illegal to buy them second hand, in case they were in a crash.

As far as I know, if you get a second hand one from a friend or whatever some nursery shops will check it out for you. Tony Kealy's in Cork certainly used to do it.

Regarding car seats. Apparently even if your car is tipped and no obvious damage to it or car seat, as long as the seat belt was extended, you should replace the car seats.

The only way for the companies to accurately test if a seat is damaged is to crash test it , which destroys it. So they just advise everyone to get new no matter what. There's even questions over whether putting them through cargo on the plane damages them.

Car accidents can be so serious that'd id never want to put my child in danger over 100 euro

I haven't got a car seat just yet, I'm getting one off my friend who used hers for 3 days before buying a new one. She didn't like the color! :O

Other than that, hip pain is crap. Sterilised some babies toys I got off my niece for baby, all done now.

We had another little look at prams yesterday. A friend works in the industry & can get us a discount, which is great! We have to decide between a few now! I also had a quick look at cots, and I want to get one that turns into a little bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Does anyone else feel like they've been pregnant for at least two years now already?! And I'm only 23weeks! Another 117 days to go according to my phone app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

holding wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel like they've been pregnant for at least two years now already?! And I'm only 23weeks! Another 117 days to go according to my phone app.

Yes!
    Sometimes I think, wow, just 5 months ago, this baby was just one cell, how on earth is it now a foot long, baby with ears, eyes, hair, a beating heart, lungs, which, as of next week, would have a 50-75% chance of survival without me!
    But most of the time, I think, wow, how the hell am I still pregnant, and how do I have another 3 1/2 months of this to go ?

I've really blown up the last few weeks. Like, I'm pretty pregnant looking, and sometimes I feel huge, but really, I probably look 24 weeks pregnant - I don't know, lots of people comment on how neat I am, others are surprised by how big I am.

My husband cant believe it, and cant believe that I'm going to get much bigger. I keep trying to explain to him that I have a lot more bump to grow, but he just cant imagine it, he thinks I'm so huge already.

At 24+2, I have 110 days, or 3 months and 18 days, left till EDD. How am I supposed to wait that long to meet this little guy, I'm so bloody excited already!!

I definitely have a bump but if I'm wearing the wrong drape of clothing it totally just looks like a pudgy paunch belly with too much chocolate in it! I'm always surprised by how *hard* baby bumps are - I know it makes sense but you could knock someone out with that belly!

I have lots of kicks now which is so great. My placenta is at the front this time so I knew it would be much later that I felt them, but so glad they are here now.

Getting a gender scan tonight!! Cannot wait. Crossing everything for a girl because a. we only have a girl's name picked out and b. it would mean I wasn't completely outnumbered (I already am in this house - my LB told me last week 'you don't have a penis mama!').

YES. Even since 20 weeks, I can't believe I'm not 23 weeks yet!! GAH!

I feel huge! I'm 25 weeks today, and starting to find it hard to figure out what to wear everyday! I have a good few loose tops which work as maternity, but they are very light and not really great for this cooler weather, but a nice chunky cardigan helps! I got a few tops in Penney's yesterday which were reduced, and are perfect for maternity! I need more jeans/bottoms though, I'm sick of the same two pairs already. I can wear jeans to work, so I tend to wear them most days and its boring now! I am going to see what New Look have in Killarney on Friday, but I am don't hold out much hope as when I first went there in December they had a tiny rail! The Cork shop was so much better, but I won't be heading there anytime soon. I might have to order online if they don't have much.

Scary to think I've only 14 weeks to go!! Seems like ages, but at the same time it doesn't!

• Advertisement

Yea, Im rotating 2 pairs of jeans too, and a 3rd pair of awful Penneys ones if I'm really stuck. I'm eyeing up a white pair of jeans for the spring/summer. I will be in them for a while after the baby comes, so I think Ill treat myself.

I think I may have felt my first Braxton Hick yesterday. @ 24 weeks, would that be way too early? It wasn't anything uncomfortable, just a kind of tightening/ clenching of my uterus.

Yea, Im rotating 2 pairs of jeans too, and a 3rd pair of awful Penneys ones if I'm really stuck. I'm eyeing up a white pair of jeans for the spring/summer. I will be in them for a while after the baby comes, so I think Ill treat myself.

I think I may have felt my first Braxton Hick yesterday. @ 24 weeks, would that be way too early? It wasn't anything uncomfortable, just a kind of tightening/ clenching of my uterus.

I have those Penney's maternity ones too and they are the worst fitting things ever. I can't get them to stay up! I've given up on them! It is awful how bad the range of maternity wear is in this country. Anything decent costs a fortune! I love Topshop, but its so expensive. I don't know why Dunnes don't do any and Penney's attempt is pathetic! Thankfully we are coming into Spring/Summer and will be able to wear a few maxi dresses etc. I will be sick to death of jeans by the end of it. I don't really wear leggings in general as I find them uncomfortable and unflattering on me, but I might have to get a maternity pair soon!

I have those Penney's maternity ones too and they are the worst fitting things ever. I can't get them to stay up! I've given up on them! It is awful how bad the range of maternity wear is in this country. Anything decent costs a fortune! I love Topshop, but its so expensive. I don't know why Dunnes don't do any and Penney's attempt is pathetic! Thankfully we are coming into Spring/Summer and will be able to wear a few maxi dresses etc. I will be sick to death of jeans by the end of it. I don't really wear leggings in general as I find them uncomfortable and unflattering on me, but I might have to get a maternity pair soon!

Yea, I spend all day hiking them up when I wear them.
    The 2 pairs I have that I wear are h&m. they are very comfy, though the top of one of the bands is a good bit tighter than the other, I'm not sure Ill still be in them in 3 months time.

Yea, I spend all day hiking them up when I wear them.
    The 2 pairs I have that I wear are h&m. they are very comfy, though the top of one of the bands is a good bit tighter than the other, I'm not sure Ill still be in them in 3 months time.

There were a few maternity bits on sale in Next last weekend, although I tried on the jeans they had and the waist was a bit loose for me & I'm fed up of hiking jeans up at this stage! Next maternity jeans are ok, but a bit too expensive. Their Tralee store seems to have cut their maternity range way back & only seemed to have one rail there. I am going to New look tomorrow, and I hope they have something. I can order online if the Killarney store isn't great anyway.

Well I am having another boy! I will be 100% outnumbered in this house!

We were both hoping for a girl, but of course will be delighted with a boy now too, sure the first little guy worked out brilliantly ;)

Well I am having another boy! I will be 100% outnumbered in this house!

We were both hoping for a girl, but of course will be delighted with a boy now too, sure the first little guy worked out brilliantly ;)

Awh congrats! It seems to be mostly boys in this month! :)

I've my first appointment in the coombe this mornign. Bit nervous but no idea why lol. Probably was a bad idea to stay up til 1am chatting to my sis, but at least she got to feel her nephew kick! Wrecked tired as my two year old decided to join me in bed at 5am. He has a cold so is snoring lol!
    My sis was saying how it was weird how I had a little person inside of me, and it totally is! Still just as weird the second time round. Feel like I've never done this before!

Good luck this morning Dori you will be grand no need to be nervous, make sure you go for a nice tea and bun afterwards in Fumbally or somewhere!

I had a right to be nervous lol. They skipped me when calling registration names, so i went up to ask, 20 min after my scheduled appointment. I wasnt in the system for today! They had me in for 11th April to register, a full 9 weeks after sending info to them. Ridiculous! Also they had me in for a scan on the 4th. How can i have a scan if im not registered in the hospital? ??? Anyway they've 'squeezed me in' so loads of waiting around now. Thankfully my sis is able to mind my son this morning. Wasn't nearly this disorganised 2 yrs ago.

Feel like i spend my time waiting weeks on all the irish beurocratic systems to do their jobs.

• Advertisement

That is so annoying dori. My booking in app in the hospital, I was registered for 8am, literally the very first patient of the day to arrive, but it was still 12 noon before I was finished up with it all. It's very chaotic. Still recommend the bun!!

It is very strange to think there's a human inside me! My husband & I are always saying it! He loves rubbing my bump but he finds it so weird when he feels the baby kick or when we can see my tummy move! I keep saying how does he think I feel!! Obviously it's great, but strange!! Haha!

Ciarrai you should watch Alien or Prometheus with him, then a few kicks will seem very safe in comparison lol!

Has anyone bought a Maxicosi pram? We are thinking of one of those, a Layla or Lola I think it's called.

Has anyone bought a Maxicosi pram? We are thinking of one of those, a Layla or Lola I think it's called.

No idea about prams here Ciarrai! We are going for a M&P one as its either that or mothercare here and I didn't like any in mothercare!

I feel like it's gone so fast! I'm 22.5 weeks now and I planned to have everything ready by week 37 as its our first and we don't know if it's going to be under or over. ;)

Still have to order a cot but not going to do it until I'm nearly ready to pop.

Got a really comfy pair of pj bottoms in Penneys yesterday. Beware though, they're very large sizing. But I have a feeling I'll be living in these for a while!

• Advertisement

Olaola are they the grey ones? I got them too - super large sizing and I just bought my regular size!

Olaola are they the grey ones? I got them too - super large sizing and I just bought my regular size!

I saw those too & thought they looked huge! I will go a size down...if they have any left! The Maternity wear in my local Penney's hasn't been replenished, so it doesn't look like they will restock it, which is annoying.

I got a pair of grey maternity jeans in New Look yesterday. They didn't have a great range in the Killarney store, and the small sizes all seemed to be gone in most things!

I'm watching One Born every Minute this afternoon. I don't know why I do it to myself, I end up in tears after 5 mins! I think its mainly the idea of labour freaks me out and I know I shouldn't watch it, but I have to realise its going to happen & I've no choice! I don't know how I'll do it, I literally can't deal with pain! I never suffered badly from period pains, very rarely I had bad pain, and at least with that I could take a painkiller & after a while it was gone. I don't know how I'll manage with the pain of labour!!!

Does gas & air make you feel sick? I remember when I used to be given gas as an anaesthetic years ago (before the injections) and I used to start vomiting after I woke up :( I will need pain relief for this birth, I know I will! lol

I saw those too & thought they looked huge! I will go a size down...if they have any left! The Maternity wear in my local Penney's hasn't been replenished, so it doesn't look like they will restock it, which is annoying.

I got a pair of grey maternity jeans in New Look yesterday. They didn't have a great range in the Killarney store, and the small sizes all seemed to be gone in most things!

I'm watching One Born every Minute this afternoon. I don't know why I do it to myself, I end up in tears after 5 mins! I think its mainly the idea of labour freaks me out and I know I shouldn't watch it, but I have to realise its going to happen & I've no choice! I don't know how I'll do it, I literally can't deal with pain! I never suffered badly from period pains, very rarely I had bad pain, and at least with that I could take a painkiller & after a while it was gone. I don't know how I'll manage with the pain of labour!!!

Does gas & air make you feel sick? I remember when I used to be given gas as an anaesthetic years ago (before the injections) and I used to start vomiting after I woke up :( I will need pain relief for this birth, I know I will! lol

It's ten years since my last pregnancy, i remember not liking the gas and air, it just made me feel stoned, I got a bit paranoid and thought the nurse was only giving it to me so she could tell me what do. That said everybody is different, plus I had a really fast delivery for a first baby, which suprised me, the nurse herself, and my birthing partner(it was so fast she missed it!).

Pregnant on my second now and only recenttly watched one born every minute for the first time the other night. I got really excited, I can't wait for the end bit!

Like yourself chiarrai I wouldn't suffer often with period pains and I have to say I flew through the last labour, hoping this time is the same! The baby has to come out one way or another, just be prepared to go with flow. I was adamment I didn't want an epidural, and yet I roared for one at one stage! I was already ten cm though, two pushes later my impatient little one entered the world!

I used the gas and air on my first. I'm surprised it didn't make me ill as almost everything does lol! Weak stomach! I used it sparingly though. A few puffs to get me through the worst of the contraction. Only made me loopy right at the end when at their worst. I hate what pethadine and epidurals do to the baby so it'll be gas or nothing for me this time again.

I've also got to do this stupid glutton tolerance test on Tues morning. Fading from midnight. Them in hospital at 8am , 3 blood tests and have to down warm lucozade on an empty stomach! Was bad enough last time and i wasnt still feeling ill every morning, and had my husband to drive me. Hes in Nice next week! Ugh. When will this pregnancy get better?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jdaly

Hi All,

I hope you are all keeping well!

I too am due in July with baby # 3 and there will be 12 years between this pregnancy and the last one so it's a bit scary starting all over again but exciting at the same time.

I remember having the gas and air with my second daughter and I know it made me light headed but I think labour itself just made me sick anyways so not sure if the sickness is labour related or from the gas and air I was also sick in with my first girl and I had no gas and air but had an epidural.

I am looking forward to the end now also as this pregnancy has been hard, I think I have had every symptom going but it will be worth it in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement