Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

July 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Congrats JDaly!!

I binge watched One Born Every Minute on my first, but would actually recommend binge watching Call the Midwife too - there tends to be a lot of drama and surgery on OBEM - there is drama too on CTM but I found more realistic everyday births in there overall. Just IMHO!

I had gas and air on my first and it made me pretty happy - I found it not only helped with the contractions but I was also very fluent in explaining my underlying theory behind different tv shows to the midwife - I also didn't notice when my OH left the room and kept talking to him about my theories too - morto!!!

Dori my GTT test is in April, dreading it, hate needles and blood too :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I've always been very freaked out by the thought of labour. I'm so nervous if all the pain & how long it might go on for. My sister had no labour pain, they tried to induce her twice & it didn't bring it on so she had a section. So I can't get any advice from her! Lol

I am trying not to worry about it but it's inevitable that it will happen! All I keep thinking is it's the end result that matters & trying to forget that there will be pain! Why there has to be pain I don't know!!��

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I've always been very freaked out by the thought of labour. I'm so nervous if all the pain & how long it might go on for. My sister had no labour pain, they tried to induce her twice & it didn't bring it on so she had a section. So I can't get any advice from her! Lol

I am trying not to worry about it but it's inevitable that it will happen! All I keep thinking is it's the end result that matters & trying to forget that there will be pain! Why there has to be pain I don't know!!��

Well, it is as they say in the books a productive pain. That's how I'm going to look at it. That it is a sign and to concentrate on what my body is trying to do.

I'm scared but I think it's cos it's only me and Hubby here and we will be without our families. The lack of a support system is beginning to get to me. I've no idea how I'm going to cope after Hubby goes back to work but one step at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Well, it is as they say in the books a productive pain. That's how I'm going to look at it. That it is a sign and to concentrate on what my body is trying to do.

I'm scared but I think it's cos it's only me and Hubby here and we will be without our families. The lack of a support system is beginning to get to me. I've no idea how I'm going to cope after Hubby goes back to work but one step at a time.

Try not to worry about support system! I had all my family here last time and they came around for about an hour each in the week after he was born, just to see him, then it was back to regular visiting every Sunday to parents. No cooked dinners, no babysitting, no cleaning etc. just me on my own and the baby. Hubby worked from home for the week after he was born, then back in the office. So I thoroughly believe that haveing family nearby is overrated! I won't be expecting anything from them this time either.

I was in bits with the contractions before getting on the gas. Was vomiting lots and dehydrated, needed 2 drips. Was manageable once on the labour ward

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jdaly

I am really dreading labour too but to be honest just want this pregnancy over too. I defo won't be like some of those ladies with the all natural births I'm no good with pain in fact I'm a wimp but if I can do it twice anyone can trust me.

I have been watching deliver me and I find it great cos it talks about everything and it is not as intense as some births but I ball every time a baby is born lol.

Try not to worry ladies (easier said than done) we are stronger than we think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

My ribs are so uncomfortable at the moment! I fee like I could do with removing a few! lol Anyone else feeling like this?

My ribs are so uncomfortable at the moment! I fee like I could do with removing a few! lol Anyone else feeling like this?

Oh Ciarrai I can only imagine how uncomfortable u must feel I don't have this problem at the minute but I do feel as if the top of my bump is bruised when I touch it very strange.

jdaly wrote: »
    Oh Ciarrai I can only imagine how uncomfortable u must feel I don't have this problem at the minute but I do feel as if the top of my bump is bruised when I touch it very strange.

Yes, I had this too when my bump was starting to push up. It still is a bit like that but now I feel like my ribs are getting in the way & sitting is getting really annoying! I'm nearly 26 weeks so it's probably going to get worse as the bump gets bigger!

Yes, I had this too when my bump was starting to push up. It still is a bit like that but now I feel like my ribs are getting in the way & sitting is getting really annoying! I'm nearly 26 weeks so it's probably going to get worse as the bump gets bigger!

I'm almost 26 weeks too but my bump seems to be very low still and most if my discomfort is underneath my bump cramping and lots of pressure I feel huge a the minute and everyone thinks I'm further along than I am and at my last scan they said he is measuring on the bigger side. great...

Ciarrai try not to freak out about labour pain and delivery etc in advance. The truth is that no matter how bad or good it is, or whether you use pain relief or not, you just get on with it regardless, and it does come to an end sooner or later. It might not be bad for you at all, so no point meeting trouble half way as they say. All we can do is prep as much as we can, learn the breathing etc, and then just give it a shot. I remember my first antenatal class with my first baby and she said that all anyone would ask of us was to do the best we could, and no more than that. Don't forget you won't be alone, you'll have super midwives and hubbie and support around you while you're going through it, and they will mind you.

• Advertisement

I seem to be breeding some kind of super athlete in this belly. After not kicking much til last week (he was, but I have a front lying placenta this time which absorbed it), he is now doing star jumps and stretches all the time! Is he trying to get out of me early?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I'm almost 26 weeks too but my bump seems to be very low still and most if my discomfort is underneath my bump cramping and lots of pressure I feel huge a the minute and everyone thinks I'm further along than I am and at my last scan they said he is measuring on the bigger side. great...

24 weeks here, and my bump is after exploding out in the last two weeks! If I wear a maternity top I look 9 months gone! My bump also is very achey on the lower half of it. Walking is out for me as it feels weird on the bottom half of the bump after about ten minutes, I also had to give up the rower at the gym as getting on and off it catches to lower half of the bump. Pregnancy has slowed me down big time, except in work, where I am on feet but there is no getting up or down, or bending.

My mother keeps asking am I sure I have my dates right! I am 100% sure as we had IUI done, and I know the date & there was no possible other time I could have got pregnant!

Thanks ladies for your reassurance glad I'm not on my own helps ease the mind a little to know we have some of the same discomforts and we are showing on the big side... Just wish people could keep there remarks to themselves and not be saying how big I look anyways what can we do... Birdie walking is hard for me too after about 10 minutes I get the very same like pulling sensation. I'm still working too but I have an office job so I sit all day which isn't good so I need to do a few small walks around...

I feel huge too but I think that's cos I haven't been around many pregnant women so I'm unsure of how I should look at 23 weeks. Also, I've big boobies so I think I look bigger than I am.

Oh ladies if you feel big now, wait until you hit 35 weeks! I've pressure under my bump. Not so much in my ribs. Maybe coz this is number 2 I've stretched a bit already from the last time?

The midwife said to me that because I am quite petite & I've quite strong stomach muscles, that the baby doesn't have as much room & that's why I feel so uncomfortable! She also said it will stand to me in labour & recovery! :)

We have our next proper scan in 2 weeks, I can't wait...although we were due to find out the sex at that scan, and found out at that random scan I had a couple of weeks ago! Oh well, still looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Ciarrai I'm tall with apparently strong stomach muscles I never knew I had. I have to say the last few weeks of my pregnancy were hell with the lack of space, I barely had a bump, was battered by baby the whole time, and constantly felt like I couldn't breathe out. BUT the positive was that between my "strong" stomach muscles and breastfeeding I snapped back pretty quickly, meaning I didn't have to go buy a lot of new clothes during or after pregnancy.

OK I think I am done with non maternity clothes. Wearing a regular dress today, which fit me grand-ish up to last week, and today it looks ridiculous, way too stretched across the abdomen. I have a fancy work event tomorrow night which I am panicking about. Going to head to mothercare this afternoon and hope to god they have something like a plain black dress I could wear!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

holding wrote: »
    OK I think I am done with non maternity clothes. Wearing a regular dress today, which fit me grand-ish up to last week, and today it looks ridiculous, way too stretched across the abdomen. I have a fancy work event tomorrow night which I am panicking about. Going to head to mothercare this afternoon and hope to god they have something like a plain black dress I could wear!!

Don't know where you are based but Mothercare in Cork have lovely black dresses at the moment for about €35. Knee length, with a gather at the front. They don't look too maternity-ish, if you know what I mean and you can dress them up for an evening event.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bingwhoosh

Well I had a fab week in Lanzarote and had a little siesta every afternoon when my little one was having her nap and came back lovely and refreshed, but then hardly slept a wink last night and am sat here at my desk ready to collapse over it!

dori_dormer , good luck with test this morning, do let us know how it goes as I have mine in the morning and am absolutely dreading it, I was told nothing from 8 this evening not even water, I'm still getting sick the odd morning so don't know how I will cope if i get sick in the morning and can't drink.

I'm going to ring the Rotunda later to double check on the water as to me it sounds ridiculous that you can't have water.

Bingwhoosh wrote: »
    Well I had a fab week in Lanzarote and had a little siesta every afternoon when my little one was having her nap and came back lovely and refreshed, but then hardly slept a wink last night and am sat here at my desk ready to collapse over it!

dori_dormer , good luck with test this morning, do let us know how it goes as I have mine in the morning and am absolutely dreading it, I was told nothing from 8 this evening not even water, I'm still getting sick the odd morning so don't know how I will cope if i get sick in the morning and can't drink.

I'm going to ring the Rotunda later to double check on the water as to me it sounds ridiculous that you can't have water.

I arrived 15 min early to the gtt test in Coombe and was number 15 on the list already! Number 5 told me she'd been there since 7.30! About 30 people in the queue by 8.30.
    I was called about 8.30 and they couldn't find my name on the list. So loads more waiting. Then the woman couldn't find a vein. So off i go to the proper blood retriever people (plebotomy?) More waiting. Bloods finally taken at 9 and downed the lucozade.
    went back to the pleb people for 10 and they told me i could skip the queue thankfully cos it needs to be timed perfectly.
    Went to the semi private clinic to fix my consultant appointment because it's still 4 weeks away. Now it's moved to the 4th April instead of 25th thankfully.
    Just waiting on my last bloods at 11 now.

I had to fast from midnight so i had toast at 11pm. Think it helped a lot! Also i got up early and took it slow getting my boy up and dressed. Stress would make me puke! Combe says no water also. My sister rinsed her mouth out a few times tho.
    Felt ill drinking the warm lucozade but managed to keep it down. If you bring it up you have to start all over again and I'm soooo not doing that.
    Not impressed with the coombes waiting times but I'm told it's cos of all the bank holidays etc.
    Also I'm cranky and not v patient anyway as we are trying to buy a house too before baby comes!

Thanks dori_dormer for update, I feel a bit more reassured now, I like the idea of rinsing your mouth out with water. My mouth is like the Sahara when I wake up in the mornings and thats with having downed a pint throughout the night whenever I wake.

I'm going to bring a good book in with me and just try and go with the flow, I'm not the most patient person ever either!

Thanks Brokensoul, hope I can snag one of those. I tried on a few things in H and M maternity yesterday and their 3D mirror thing just made me feel like a whale! I don't mind the bump, but the boobs sitting on top of it are taking it a bit far!

Nothing worse than a GTT test Dori Dormer, dreading mine. Last time I brought my iPad and watched What to Expect When You're Expecting in the waiting room which was a *massive* mistake as I spent the hours between the blood tests in floods of hormonal tears which made the whole thing quite a bit worse than it needed to have been!!

50% off sale in Mothercare! Get down there! I picked up a load of basic tops, yoga pants, plus the plain black dress I needed for the work thing for all half price!

• Advertisement

Well had my gtt test and was not as bad as I was expecting. Arrived 25 mins early and was number 2 which was great as people who were arriving 10 mins early were already in the 20's.
    I was actually glad of the first few sips of lucozade as I was so thirsty but it did get very sickly after that.

Fingers crossed now that I don't get a phonecall from them!

Has anyone who has been pregnant before been on a hen night with only a few weeks before due date? I have been invited to one at the very end of May, but with my due date being July 6th, I'm not sure whether or not to go. It's about an hour away, so means staying the night. That's is fine, but with no hospital nearby (nearest is my local hospital, nearly an hour away) I feel a bit nervous about it. Not to mention everyone raring to go & me not drinking & having little energy compared to them!
    I don't know what to do really. I could chance getting my husband to pick me up, but it's seems more hassle. I wish it was more local!! As it is I might not make the wedding as its only a few days before due date!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

I have a hen the day after I'm due! Depending on what's happening, I might just join them for an afternoon (if it's not too far away)

Don't worry about the birth, I did it once and I'll do it again. Not that I'd love to do it! But it's manageable. And you really *do* forget it all after. Himself tells me about things that happened, and I have no clue what he's talking about. You'll prob just remember the tea & toast after!

Unfortunately I just got a call from the hospital and I have gestational diabetes. Have had a little cry to myself and have now pulled myself together.
    I have to go see dietician etc next Wednesday and then I think its fasting blood tests every fortnight after that.
    I will be sick of the sight of the hospital by the time I have this baby!

Unfortunately I just got a call from the hospital and I have gestational diabetes. Have had a little cry to myself and have now pulled myself together.
    I have to go see dietician etc next Wednesday and then I think its fasting blood tests every fortnight after that.

Oh no poor you! They thought my sister had gestational diabetes cos her boy was measuring so big. But she didn't. Is your baby big? I don't think the test is too bad once they've confirmed it. Think you fast, then test, then eat, then test again.nalso the finger pricking I heard ladies saying in the waiting room drove them nuts.

On the plus side at least they caught it but it is a bummer :(

• Advertisement

Has anyone who has been pregnant before been on a hen night with only a few weeks before due date? I have been invited to one at the very end of May, but with my due date being July 6th, I'm not sure whether or not to go. It's about an hour away, so means staying the night. That's is fine, but with no hospital nearby (nearest is my local hospital, nearly an hour away) I feel a bit nervous about it. Not to mention everyone raring to go & me not drinking & having little energy compared to them!
    I don't know what to do really. I could chance getting my husband to pick me up, but it's seems more hassle. I wish it was more local!! As it is I might not make the wedding as its only a few days before due date!

Hi Ciarria I know the feeling I am bridesmaid for my best friends wedding on the 11th if June and due the 2nd of July so I am dreading it... l'll have to waddle up the isle and then feel exhausted for about 2 weeks after it... Just play it by the minute if u feel u can stay then do that but if u want to get some sleep in the comfort of ur own bed then if ur hubby doesn't mind collecting u then go with that just have him on standby... If u don't go at all u might regret it later and it could do u the world of good... I have a hen the end of April but thankfully there going for a sap day and meal and drinks later that evening and it's only 20 minutes from where I love so the hubby is picking me up...

And Bingwhoosh so sorry to hear u have diabetes it's not the best news but it can be controlled so try not get too upset I have mine next Friday...

Hi Ciarria I know the feeling I am bridesmaid for my best friends wedding on the 11th if June and due the 2nd of July so I am dreading it... l'll have to waddle up the isle and then feel exhausted for about 2 weeks after it... Just play it by the minute if u feel u can stay then do that but if u want to get some sleep in the comfort of ur own bed then if ur hubby doesn't mind collecting u then go with that just have him on standby... If u don't go at all u might regret it later and it could do u the world of good... I have a hen the end of April but thankfully there going for a sap day and meal and drinks later that evening and it's only 20 minutes from where I love so the hubby is picking me up...

And Bingwhoosh so sorry to hear u have diabetes it's not the best news but it can be controlled so try not get too upset I have mine next Friday...

I think I will go for the day at least & get my husband to pick me up in the evening. At least then I won't need to be sitting there that night sober as a judge & the rest all going mad!

I think I will go for the day at least & get my husband to pick me up in the evening. At least then I won't need to be sitting there that night sober as a judge & the rest all going mad!

I haven't drank for years as I am in recovery. I am loving going to social events at the moment because for the first time in almost a decade I don't have to explain to people why I am not drinking ;-)

But from years of experience I can tell you that being the only sober person at a hen night is a nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Bigwoosh, try not to fret. I got diagnosed with GD at 12 weeks. I'm on insulin. It's really ok. When you meet with the dietician really take on board what you can and can't eat and you will do well. It is a bummer doing your sugar levels every day but believe me it just becomes part of the day. And remember it's only for a few months. You'll be grand

brokensoul wrote: »
    I haven't drank for years as I am in recovery. I am loving going to social events at the moment because for the first time in almost a decade I don't have to explain to people why I am not drinking ;-)

But from years of experience I can tell you that being the only sober person at a hen night is a nightmare!

I'm not a big drinker anyway, and have had plenty of nights where I've been designated driver over the years, and its headwrecking! lol

I think going to the daytime part of the hen will suit me just fine! I know my friend will understand, especially as I'll be 8 months pregnant, so I've a good excuse!

I keep hoping I don't get GD! I have a bit of a sweet tooth, but not as much as I thought I would during pregnancy and pretty much eating the same amount of sweet stuff, if not less than before I was pregnant! I know there are sugars in a lot of foods, not necessarily in sweet things, so I am a bit more concious of what I'm eating. I haven't been told to have a test done, so I hope I won't need to. I have a scan in 2 weeks, so I guess I will see what they say then.

I can't believe that I'll be in my 3rd & final trimester in 2 weeks!! Things are starting to go so fast & I am NOT at all prepared, in any way shape or form!!! I am starting to panic a bit!

Generally you are only scheduled in if you have family history. Then other signs are being very thirsty and the Abby being in the larger end of the scale. My dad has type 2 diabetes so that's why I had to take it. There's probably a few other signs that I don't remmeber

I keep hoping I don't get GD! I have a bit of a sweet tooth, but not as much as I thought I would during pregnancy and pretty much eating the same amount of sweet stuff, if not less than before I was pregnant! I know there are sugars in a lot of foods, not necessarily in sweet things, so I am a bit more concious of what I'm eating. I haven't been told to have a test done, so I hope I won't need to. I have a scan in 2 weeks, so I guess I will see what they say then.

I can't believe that I'll be in my 3rd & final trimester in 2 weeks!! Things are starting to go so fast & I am NOT at all prepared, in any way shape or form!!! I am starting to panic a bit!

I think they test for it, along with other stuff, in your urine at your GP and hospital/consultant visits.

brokensoul wrote: »
    I think they test for it, along with other stuff, in your urine at your GP and hospital/consultant visits.

My GP has been testing my urine on each visit & its been fine each time. Its never been mentioned to me about the GD test, so I hopefully won't need one.

My GP has been testing my urine on each visit & its been fine each time. Its never been mentioned to me about the GD test, so I hopefully won't need one.

I think they would flag it if something showed up in the urine test.

I freaked I had given myself GD by doing the dog on easter eggs last weekend but my midwife roared laughing when I mentioned it!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the support ladies. I had to have test done as I am over 40. At my 20 week scan baby was measuring spot on with dates.
    I'm due for another scan at 32 weeks because I have fybroids and then because of the GD they will scan me at 34 weeks also.

Plus side is I will get to see loads of the baby.

I only failed one set of bloods so they are hopeful that changes to the diet will be sufficient.

I wouldn't mind I have 2 easter eggs sitting there that I didn't touch on Sunday as was afraid they would affect my bloods and now I can't eat them, guess hubby is going to have a feast..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

Guys just floating over from the April thread - for those of you worried about possible GD tests, in the Rotunda they have a specific kind of checklist to determine whether or not you need the test (i.e. family history, if you're overweight, if you've had it before, if you're over 35 etc etc) and this was discussed and booked for me at my 12 week appointment. As far as I know (but I could stand corrected) they don't book it for you at a later date if you don't meet any of those requirements!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

On the GD tests, I know in Galway they have introduced the policy that anyone over the age of 30 is given the test. No harm in testing for it, I guess. I am within the normal weight range for my height, have no family history of diabetes, am 34, and have mine at 29 weeks.

They did check for it in the blood tests (I think its always a blood, not a urine, test) at the booking in appointment at 14 weeks, and nothing showed up, but they still run the more thorough GD test later in pregnancy as a standard precaution.

I'm afraid of what the test results will find, as I have been so thirsty throughout my pregnancy, and have developed a wicked sweet tooth, which I never had before, and which I am totally indulging. I really must curb that (I type as I chow into a scone with jam!)

I'm the same - total sweet tooth and thirsty. I'll be pissed if I do have GD, means they would be likely to induce me early here.

I'm 39 and its not been said to me about a GD test. I have no history of diabetes in my family, nor am I overweight, so maybe that's why.

I wouldn't worry about having it unless your regular urine test shows something. I have a family history of diabetes, am a little overweight, and would probably otherwise fit the criteria, and have always been tested because of this, but have never had it (thank goodness!). So no point worrying til you know for sure.

H&M are now online in Ireland, great for maternity wear and free delivery until April 24th!
    http://www2.hm.com/en_ie/ladies/shop-by-product/maternity-wear.html?product-type=ladies_maternity&sort=stock&offset=0&page-size=60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Have any of you announced the sex and name of the baby yet?

I've told everyone I'm having a boy. Haven't decided on a name yet tho. Think it's really the Americans who announce the babies name at the shower? But I think a lot of people if asked will say they have x and x top of the list. Some people prefer to keep quiet about names so no one else steals them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Yea I've told anyone who wants to know what we are having. I've found lots of people prefer not to know though. Weirdos!

I'm 90% certain we've decided on a name. I don't plan on telling people though, not for fear they might steal it, but because we may still change our minds. And because I'm good at judging peoples reactions, and if I see they don't like it, ill be second guessing our decision. Whereas, I think, once the baby is here, people are less likely to dislike the name, because the baby they are looking at is so lovely.

Advertisement