Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

July 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Thanks lads, I feel a bit calmer about it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Same thing happened to me in the last week brokensoul, the nanny let my 1yo's arm get quite burned. I wouldn't call it mild either! I had a chat with her about it the following morning and reiterated about putting sun cream on etc. Hoping it won't happen again. I wasn't too impressed either! Her sole job is to look after my 2 all day like, she has nothing else she has to do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Getting so fed up of trying to feed him lately. He throws food everywhere. Doesn't matter if it's spoon fed, or finger food. He just will not eat properly. I can't get him to eat much in evening and ends up being toast which he won't eat much of. He's become so fussy. He won't try anything new. He will eat no problem in crèche but not for me. I end up having to give him pip & pear to make sure he eats something. I always said I wouldn't do premade foods but it's all he will eat, and even at that most goes on floor! Worn out from it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I'm quite child led so if either of mine don't eat I leave them too it. They tend to be less hungry in the evening time anyway. Sometimes better to give dinner at lunchtime and only a snack ohm the evening. Milo throws a lot when he's not hungry. I'll sometimes give a Banana if he's eaten very little.

Milos party went very well today. Had a lot of people but no drama! Other than rain but the kids just went and played and got wet!
    I can't believe it's been a whole year since Milo was born. It was such an amazing birth and great day. Pay of me would do it all over again!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I'm quite child led so if either of mine don't eat I leave them too it. They tend to be less hungry in the evening time anyway. Sometimes better to give dinner at lunchtime and only a snack ohm the evening. Milo throws a lot when he's not hungry. I'll sometimes give a Banana if he's eaten very little.

Milos party went very well today. Had a lot of people but no drama! Other than rain but the kids just went and played and got wet!
    I can't believe it's been a whole year since Milo was born. It was such an amazing birth and great day. Pay of me would do it all over again!!

Yeah I give dinner at lunch & a snack for tea. It just seems like he acts up all the time for me lately. I guess if he is hungry he will eat it. It's bothering me he won't try new foods. I keep trying but it's a struggle. He refuses things without even trying them!

Happy birthday to Milo! I can't believe it's been a year. Today week will be his bday & just having a small gathering at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

while we're on the subject of food, can I ask if your lo's are putting on weight steadily or very slowly or at all??
    My little girl has always been petite..no big deal. She's eats ok..some days she eats loads, other days she picks and picks. I don't worry too much about the bad days..I believe that it balances out over the week.
    My concern is that she does not seem to have gained any weight over the last 6 weeks..I'm using a digital scales that I have at home. I've rung the PHN a few times but still no call back. I'm due to go to GP this week for 12 month jabs and will mention it then but I've been kinda dismissed by them before as she looks and behaves like a healthy child..and I believe she is. But I am concerned about her lack of weight gain. I'm considering going to a paediatrician..am I overreacting?!
    Sorry for the long post!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Getting so fed up of trying to feed him lately. He throws food everywhere. Doesn't matter if it's spoon fed, or finger food. He just will not eat properly. I can't get him to eat much in evening and ends up being toast which he won't eat much of. He's become so fussy. He won't try anything new. He will eat no problem in crèche but not for me. I end up having to give him pip & pear to make sure he eats something. I always said I wouldn't do premade foods but it's all he will eat, and even at that most goes on floor! Worn out from it now.

I thought it was just me!

My little girl is impossible to feed at the moment, she will eat porridge and fruit and stuff like that but is desperate with savory food. It is so fecking disheartening when you make all this effort to make something and she just purses her lips and won't even try it.

Just finished peeling and steaming beetroot for her dinner tomorrow - typing this with stained fingers and I think I will cry if she won't eat it ;-)

The boy child will eat anything at all you put in front of him! He has a very sensitive gag reflex though so about one meal in 10 comes back up. Doc is not concerned about it, just says it will settle over time. It makes it harder to get them to eat lumpy food though.

Like you, I swore there would be no preprepared food but sometimes I have to use Ella stuff just to make sure she eats something.

As you can see I have no useful advice at all except to say that you are not alone!

Teeley wrote: »
    while we're on the subject of food, can I ask if your lo's are putting on weight steadily or very slowly or at all??
    My little girl has always been petite..no big deal. She's eats ok..some days she eats loads, other days she picks and picks. I don't worry too much about the bad days..I believe that it balances out over the week.
    My concern is that she does not seem to have gained any weight over the last 6 weeks..I'm using a digital scales that I have at home. I've rung the PHN a few times but still no call back. I'm due to go to GP this week for 12 month jabs and will mention it then but I've been kinda dismissed by them before as she looks and behaves like a healthy child..and I believe she is. But I am concerned about her lack of weight gain. I'm considering going to a paediatrician..am I overreacting?!
    Sorry for the long post!

Before the jabs they'll weigh her and pop it on her growth chart. Things do start slowing down after 12 months, but I think if she's dropped now than 2 percentiles they'll refer her. They are very careful about failure to thrive in babies so I wouldn't worry too much. Weight loss is more significant than stagnant. She could have a growth spurt next week and gain loads over a few days!

Before the jabs they'll weigh her and pop it on her growth chart. Things do start slowing down after 12 months, but I think if she's dropped now than 2 percentiles they'll refer her. They are very careful about failure to thrive in babies so I wouldn't worry too much. Weight loss is more significant than stagnant. She could have a growth spurt next week and gain loads over a few days!

That's very useful..and reassuring..information for my visit this week..thanks. At least I know to push for a referral if she's dropped.

Is it just for the 12 month jabs they weigh them? We haven't had him weighed in a while so hopefully they will do when he goes for his in a couple of weeks. He's a bruiser of a baby so want to know what weight he is now, especially compared to his birth weight of 10lb3oz!!

• Advertisement

The nurse checked my guys height and weight every visit so far!

The nurse checked my guys height and weight every visit so far!

They didn't at ours. We asked could we weigh him and she couldn't even figure out how to work it!

Oh I wouldn't be happy with that. They are supposed to track the baby to spot if anything is wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Teeley wrote: »
    Sorry for the long post!

I have a petite child too. Weight was watched until about 3/4 months, then not weighed again until 7-9 month check and then not weighed again until 2 year check! I never weighed in between. I just watched the child - are they bright, happy, have energy and moving i.e. Not lethargic , wet and dirty nappies, engaging etc.....

Oh I wouldn't be happy with that. They are supposed to track the baby to spot if anything is wrong!

Nope, not in my gp surgery. The nurses gave the jabs and that was it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Nope, not in my gp surgery. The nurses gave the jabs and that was it!

mine is the same, although she does always ask if we have as my concerns, or issues and always urges to drop in if we ever have any concerns

GP never weighs my two but the district nurse does and she keeps a record of their growth. Maybe this is only because they were premature though?

Girl baba powered through the beetroot today - I swear sometimes they know when you are right on the edge of losing it and then they suddenly become angelic ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I think k you are right brokensoul, lily also seems to sense my breaking point and does a uturn sharpish!

One thing I will just say is try to avoid giving fruit and bread if they won't eat their lunch/dinner. They figure out pretty fast ''if i refuse this, I'll get fruit or bread'' and some can end up only eating fruit or bread. One of those mistakes you don't realise you made tíl it's too late kind of thing

• Advertisement

Lucuma wrote: »
    One thing I will just say is try to avoid giving fruit and bread if they won't eat their lunch/dinner. They figure out pretty fast ''if i refuse this, I'll get fruit or bread'' and some can end up only eating fruit or bread. One of those mistakes you don't realise you made tíl it's too late kind of thing

I am guilty of that. I just worry he will be hungry so feel if he eats that at least he's had something.

He has another tummy bug. Same as last one, bad nappies and he vomited last night. Was up at 3am stripping him and cot sheets! Wrecked.com! He's not been sick since then, just a few bad nappies. Hoping it's not going to be as bad as the last one a month ago. Annoying as I won't be able to go to work tomorrow as can't go to crèche!

They're cute out. Sure you'd refuse your dinner too if you knew you'd get something nicer instead of it ;) I didn't give either of mine fruit purees at all as babies in case this happened. Is there anything in the world sweeter than pureed fruit like!
    This is often how picky eaters are made - from being given alternatives instead of their healthy dinner. Persist with the healthy dinner, they soon realise it's either this or nawthin and they're not going to let themselves starve.

They're cute out. Sure you'd refuse your dinner too if you knew you'd get something nicer instead of it ;) I didn't give either of mine fruit purees at all as babies in case this happened. Is there anything in the world sweeter than pureed fruit like!
    This is often how picky eaters are made - from being given alternatives instead of their healthy dinner. Persist with the healthy dinner, they soon realise it's either this or nawthin and they're not going to let themselves starve.

Well we are back to refusing nearly everything at the moment as he has another tummy bug! He ate some wheetabix this morning and is sort of eating some yogurt but very little else apart from his bottle. so we will be back to square one with food again. I hope he improves by sat as it's his birthday!

I never gave him much fruit purée. Maybe at the start when weaning, but not often. I never bought any pouches of it, just mashed up a bit of banana or stewed apple. He eats great in crèche, so I don't know why he's so fussy with me! He used to eat so well & anything I made, now it's a battle & refuses things without even trying! I just hope he improves soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ciarrai76 wrote:
    I never gave him much fruit purée. Maybe at the start when weaning, but not often. I never bought any pouches of it, just mashed up a bit of banana or stewed apple. He eats great in crèche, so I don't know why he's so fussy with me! He used to eat so well & anything I made, now it's a battle & refuses things without even trying! I just hope he improves soon!

He plays up to you because your his mammy and he knows you love him and that you worry when he doesn't eat properly. He also knows that because of that worry that if he holds out on you for long enough that you will get him something he deems tastier! He knows he can't play the staff in the crèche in the same way.

Sure here in this house madam will play up to her daddy, whinge and cry (that fake one) till he picks her up and feeds her on his lap. This evening she wouldn't even eat for him when he picked her up so it was my turn! Back into the high chair and away she went eating for me off the spoon. Now she is in a Messer mood today so the bowl of dinner got tipped onto the high chair tray eventually and I let her feed herself. Do you let him feed himself often? Madam normally only gets spoon fed her breakfast and lunch/dinner/snacks are usually tipped onto the tray so she can feed herself. It's slower and messier, but she has more fun and gets to learn about her food by playing with it.

scarepanda wrote: »
    He plays up to you because your his mammy and he knows you love him and that you worry when he doesn't eat properly. He also knows that because of that worry that if he holds out on you for long enough that you will get him something he deems tastier! He knows he can't play the staff in the crèche in the same way.

Sure here in this house madam will play up to her daddy, whinge and cry (that fake one) till he picks her up and feeds her on his lap. This evening she wouldn't even eat for him when he picked her up so it was my turn! Back into the high chair and away she went eating for me off the spoon. Now she is in a Messer mood today so the bowl of dinner got tipped onto the high chair tray eventually and I let her feed herself. Do you let him feed himself often? Madam normally only gets spoon fed her breakfast and lunch/dinner/snacks are usually tipped onto the tray so she can feed herself. It's slower and messier, but she has more fun and gets to learn about her food by playing with it.

We let him feed himself a bit more now as he grabs the spoon off us, and hands it back for more! We also give him finger foods, and he eats away no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ciarrai76 wrote:
    We let him feed himself a bit more now as he grabs the spoon off us, and hands it back for more! We also give him finger foods, and he eats away no problem.

I know it's a pain coz they make such a mess and are far slower when feeding themselves, but that might be the key to getting him eating better for you. I factor in what will end up on the floor and what she will purposely try feed to the dogs into the amount I give her and she always seems happy out. Unless we're out and about all meals except her breakfast she feeds to herself.

• Advertisement

Also maybe in creche he just has to eat bread, youghurt etc which is usually easy to get kids to eat that kind of stuff. It's the dinners I've found are always the hard ones to get into them - our job unfortunately!
    If he won't eat any meals for you normally then yeah it's coz he's sussed that he can play you! Be strong :P
    I'd consider stewed apple to be pureed fruit. Give pieces of apple for him to gum on or a piece of fruit rather than stewing it. But I never give fruit or bread as an alternative to dinner. It's a strict rule in our house. I know once I went down that road I'd never get off it .....Bread is only allowed for lunch in our house, never for dinner. If my 2 yo had her way she'd eat bread for all meals and nothing else!

Also maybe in creche he just has to eat bread, youghurt etc which is usually easy to get kids to eat that kind of stuff. It's the dinners I've found are always the hard ones to get into them - our job unfortunately!
    If he won't eat any meals for you normally then yeah it's coz he's sussed that he can play you! Be strong :P
    I'd consider stewed apple to be pureed fruit. Give pieces of apple for him to gum on or a piece of fruit rather than stewing it. But I never give fruit or bread as an alternative to dinner. It's a strict rule in our house. I know once I went down that road I'd never get off it .....Bread is only allowed for lunch in our house, never for dinner. If my 2 yo had her way she'd eat bread for all meals and nothing else!

No the crèche give him proper dinners. He is great at eating them. They give him things I wouldn't even know how to make!

I don't make stewed apple anymore, I only used to make it to mix in with his baby rice or cereal when he was younger. He doesn't seem to like to eat normal apple slices yet. He used to love bananas but won't eat them anymore. Now he likes strawberries & blueberries!

When I say I give him bread, I mean for his tea in the evening. He has his dinner at lunchtimes which doesn't include bread. He isn't given it as an alternative if he won't eat dinner.

Milo is a bit off form too. Puked the other night and has had vile nappies for 2 days.
    They are well able to feed themselves. Worth it for yours and their independence! Nothing should be mashed after 1 yr old. All real food. Only NB thing i soon feed is yogurt and porridge if I'm in a rush

Milo is a bit off form too. Puked the other night and has had vile nappies for 2 days.
    They are well able to feed themselves. Worth it for yours and their independence! Nothing should be mashed after 1 yr old. All real food. Only NB thing i soon feed is yogurt and porridge if I'm in a rush

Sounds like same bug as here! I can't send him to crèche so stuck at home this week!

When is it ok to stop sterilising the baby stuff? We are till doing it with his bottle, cups & dummy's, but did I read somewhere you can stop at around 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Ciarrai76 wrote:
    When is it ok to stop sterilising the baby stuff? We are till doing it with his bottle, cups & dummy's, but did I read somewhere you can stop at around 1?

I haven't sterilised a dodie or a cup in months. Planning on stopping sterilising the bottles now, as soon as I drop the formula

I haven't sterilised a dodie or a cup in months. Planning on stopping sterilising the bottles now, as soon as I drop the formula

How are you going to transition to cow's milk? Swop one feed at a time?

You only have to sterilise bottles with formula after 6 months. I throw the Soothers in dishwasher.
    We started the change over to n cos milk today. He had 4 oz of formula with 2 of cows at lunch. May be a bad idea with the bug well see! He puked all over himself in the high chair. Was a terrible cleanup I'm traumatised :(

You only have to sterilise bottles with formula after 6 months. I throw the Soothers in dishwasher.
    We started the change over to n cos milk today. He had 4 oz of formula with 2 of cows at lunch. May be a bad idea with the bug well see! He puked all over himself in the high chair. Was a terrible cleanup I'm traumatised :(

Poor little man..hope he's feeling better today.
    Hate to moan about the warm weather but I think it's a bit too warm for the baba's! Leap 8+ 12 month vaccinations + muggy weather = out of sorts baba!!

I've got the bug now ,,🀢. Leap is driving us nuts here too. Awake for hours in middle of the night.

He's taking one free step without holding on now and standing for like 30 second with no hands! Ah he's growing too fast !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Found out today that I'm pregnant. Totally shocked but shouldn't be. Here we go again ðŸ˜႒

Cerocco wrote: »
    Found out today that I'm pregnant. Totally shocked but shouldn't be. Here we go again ðŸ˜႒

Awh wow that's great news! Congratulations!! How are you feeling? When you due?

I am feeling very emotional about baby turning 1 on Saturday! I don't know what it is, but I think it's just more to do with the fact that we waited so long to have a baby and then the year just flew by. This day last year I was preparing to go in for my csection! It's been a great year, tiring, but great! I can't help but now wonder if we will have another and if it will be the same struggle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Awh wow that's great news! Congratulations!! How are you feeling? When you due?

I am feeling very emotional about baby turning 1 on Saturday! I don't know what it is, but I think it's just more to do with the fact that we waited so long to have a baby and then the year just flew by. This day last year I was preparing to go in for my csection! It's been a great year, tiring, but great! I can't help but now wonder if we will have another and if it will be the same struggle!

I'm due mid march all going well. Already booked into the diabetic clinic next tues cuz I was insulin dependent last time

I've got the bug now ,,��. Leap is driving us nuts here too. Awake for hours in middle of the night.

He's taking one free step without holding on now and standing for like 30 second with no hands! Ah he's growing too fast !

Ours is starting to stand without holding on too! Very briefly at the moment, but doing it a lot more often. He is getting very confident!

No the crèche give him proper dinners. He is great at eating them. They give him things I wouldn't even know how to make!

When I say I give him bread, I mean for his tea in the evening. He has his dinner at lunchtimes which doesn't include bread. He isn't given it as an alternative if he won't eat dinner.
    Wow that's brilliant.....I had that with my childminder too, when I picked them up they had their dinner ate already. It takes so much stress off as a parent, then you only need to worry about dinner on Saturdays & Sundays.

• Advertisement

So our little man is now 1 years old. I'm so emotional about it all, I don't know why!!?

We had a lovely day with him. We had a small little party at home, and the weather was lovely so got to sit outside & enjoy it. He had his first taste of chocolate cake, and loved it! His daddy gave him more last night and filmed him eating it. I've never seen him eat something so fast & enjoy it so much! It was very funny, but he won't be having cake very often or he'll never want anything else!

His food situation slightly improved over the weekend. I gave him some normal rice, mixed with veg and he ate it, although it was hit & miss. He also tried some slices of orange and chopped grapes and horsed them down! lol
    he's back to creche this week too, after being a bit ill. He has his 2nd last vaccination today, which I'm dreading more than the others as he will probably hate us after it and probably try his best to escape from the nurse! :(

So our little man is now 1 years old. I'm so emotional about it all, I don't know why!!?

We had a lovely day with him. We had a small little party at home, and the weather was lovely so got to sit outside & enjoy it. He had his first taste of chocolate cake, and loved it! His daddy gave him more last night and filmed him eating it. I've never seen him eat something so fast & enjoy it so much! It was very funny, but he won't be having cake very often or he'll never want anything else!

His food situation slightly improved over the weekend. I gave him some normal rice, mixed with veg and he ate it, although it was hit & miss. He also tried some slices of orange and chopped grapes and horsed them down! lol
    he's back to creche this week too, after being a bit ill. He has his 2nd last vaccination today, which I'm dreading more than the others as he will probably hate us after it and probably try his best to escape from the nurse! :(

My two are 1 next week and I am very emotional about it too (not helped by turning 40 myself last Saturday!). Thinking a lot about whether we want to go again or not. So many things to weigh up and it is driving me nuts!

brokensoul wrote: »
    My two are 1 next week and I am very emotional about it too (not helped by turning 40 myself last Saturday!). Thinking a lot about whether we want to go again or not. So many things to weigh up and it is driving me nuts!

Same here!! I turned 40 last November so I'm trying to decide if & when we will try. I'm worried though trying bit didn't work last time & we had to have IUI do not sure I can emotionally to down that road again. I also am not sure I'm going to be able for 2 kids! One is hard enough at times!

Same here!! I turned 40 last November so I'm trying to decide if & when we will try. I'm worried though trying bit didn't work last time & we had to have IUI do not sure I can emotionally to down that road again. I also am not sure I'm going to be able for 2 kids! One is hard enough at times!

We had IVF and we have 3 frozen embryos left so we need to decide what to do with them. I hate the thought of them being destroyed, can't cope at all with that notion, but I am not sure I can see us managing more kids. I think I could donate them (though I have lots of questions/fears about that) but my husband is set against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

More twins? :D

Having a hard time with Milo at the moment. He's a fudging lunatic! He whinges constantly when not in my arms. Which drives me potty. My brain melts with the noise. Hes constant go go go aswell. Never stops moving. Nothing entertains him for more than 2 minutes and then he's whinging again!
    He's opening every single press and drawer so everything's now locked up! Today he climbed a bookcase, a toy fire station, climbed into a press ( upper shelf don't know how he did that) and climbed out of the trolley 4 times. My nerves are shot. And I thought my first was bad!
    I know he's in a leap and not sleeping great either but man he's hard work now. Older fella isn't coping with the noise and destruction either or the fact my attention is 100% on baby. He's acting out too.
    I met a childminder the other day and I think she's a little terrified of him!

fits wrote: »
    More twins? :D

Oh God the thought!

Having a hard time with Milo at the moment. He's a fudging lunatic! He whinges constantly when not in my arms. Which drives me potty. My brain melts with the noise. Hes constant go go go aswell. Never stops moving. Nothing entertains him for more than 2 minutes and then he's whinging again! He's opening every single press and drawer so everything's now locked up! Today he climbed a bookcase, a toy fire station, climbed into a press ( upper shelf don't know how he did that) and climbed out of the trolley 4 times. My nerves are shot. And I thought my first was bad! I know he's in a leap and not sleeping great either but man he's hard work now. Older fella isn't coping with the noise and destruction either or the fact my attention is 100% on baby. He's acting out too. I met a childminder the other day and I think she's a little terrified of him!

My little man is a nutso too. When other moms, with babies of a similar age, meet him, they always comment on what good craic he is, but also how much energy he has. He's go go go! And so loud! He's more of a screecher than a whinger, though.When he starts screeching, he frazzles my brain. He tries climbing everythiing too! And he's scuffed my kitchen table pretty badly banging his cup off it (as loudly as he can!)

He's awful good craic though.
    Started walking yesterday!

We're also humming and hawing about going again. It took us a full year to get pregnant with this little guy. And I was dead set against having another until recently, but now.... oh, I don't know.

• Advertisement

Clearly this thread answers the question "how long to it take to forget the pain of pregnancy/childbirth?"

12 months appears to be the answer ;-)

Advertisement