Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible sea fishing Beginner

Options
  • 30-10-2015 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi - I live within 5 minutes walk of the sea (south dublin - killiney/shankill area) and was thinking it might be nice to take up sea fishing.
    However I've very little experience - ive gone out salmon fishing a couple of times a few yrs ago with no success with a friend who was into it. And have vague memories of doing some lake fishing as a kid around blessington.

Anyway - i'm looking to know where i can get some cheap entry level equipment and what to get.
    Also, what can i expect to catch in this area...
    Edit: what about licenses and seasons etc?

If the fishing doesn't work out sure i might get a canoe :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Jimmy, sea fishing is free, there's a tackle shop in Bray (Viking tackle) give them a shout about gear and they'll give you a few recommendations and places to fish, species you might catch

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Cheers - found a couple of old threads on here re killiney beach too since posting and done some googling and found sea anglers ireland website. Ive had a look on adverts etc for some kit.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Id always reccommend a newbie to buy 2nd hand gear. Mid range gear will cost the same as low end bought new. Post here bofore you buy anything tho. Theres good bargains to be had 2nd hand but a lot of dirt being sold on adverts, especially if you dont know what your buying.
    The fishing from now till late spring will be bad on the east coast. There will be loads of 3 and 4 inch whiting but they are a pest. From late spring till late summer you will have good fishing tho so a winters practice will do you the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

.red. wrote: »
    Id always reccommend a newbie to buy 2nd hand gear. Mid range gear will cost the same as low end bought new. Post here bofore you buy anything tho. Theres good bargains to be had 2nd hand but a lot of dirt being sold on adverts, especially if you dont know what your buying.
    The fishing from now till late spring will be bad on the east coast. There will be loads of 3 and 4 inch whiting but they are a pest. From late spring till late summer you will have good fishing tho so a winters practice will do you the world of good.

Yea you can get used to the cold.

I disagree tho within an hour you can find some good cod beaches in wexford, well o.k. beaches. I find if its on your doorstep you are less interested in going than if there's a day out involved - I regularly bypass the slaney in the summer (trout all day long) and head off for the day sea fishing, but bass have me hooked. (still showing well in places but I fear this weekend and the bad weather will be the last of it)

It is probably best to get good 2nd hand gear from the off - I made that mistake and ended up upgrading anyway to new mid range gear as I simply wasnt equipped. But still its not awful expensive.

I have been sea fishing now a year and love it.

Sea angling ireland is excellent but very very quiet - if you are looking for marks or tips ask for a pm as they will not say a word in open forum! But are very helpful when using pm. I recommend reading it from front to back, Also get onto taf on youtube they have a very good series on beginner beach fishing.

Keep us updated here as to how you are getting on.

Advertisement