Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work opposite kingsbry straffan road

Options
  • 30-10-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what there doing along the road here? i thought they were removing trees but they have taken down a good chunk of the stone wall for whatever reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bus stops are being pushed back to allow a bus to pull in fully and traffic to pass; part of the North-South Corridor works. They're also getting rid of a lot of right turn lanes in to estates, or at least will be if the councillors aren't firmly told not to, as this is going to cause nightmare traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Maynooth past & present is your facebook location to get local info if something going on. Cllrs usually reply there too.

They need to do the bigger fix first rather than small ones as they go along.

ixus wrote: »
    They need to do the bigger fix first rather than small ones as they go along.

Which would be biting the bullet and building the ringroad now, rather than expecting developers to build it piecemeal as has been the situation for THIRTY YEARS since it was decided on!

Any knowledge on current the Hayfield entrance? Surely that didn't get planning given proximity to major junction, with better potential access at the Lidl lights.

`
    ixus wrote: »
    Any knowledge on current the Hayfield entrance? Surely that didn't get planning given proximity to major junction, with better potential access at the Lidl lights.

That's the entrance; but they have to pay for the installation of lights at the Meadowbrook Link/Straffan Road entrance - I believe before any house is occupied. And yes, it should have been an entrance from the Lidl lights to make any sense.

• Advertisement

While that junction arguably needs them.....more lights......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

seriously lights at the other end? never any problem there....clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Wouldn't be Maynooth without more traffic lights going in.

Chaos wrote: »
    seriously lights at the other end? never any problem there....clowns

If you mean the Link/Meadowbrook Road, no. Its at the Link/Straffan Road which can be pretty slow to get out of in the mornings and will be worse with 400 more people living on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Wonderful - more traffic lights, just what Maynooth needs!

What is Kildare CoCo's issue with roundabouts?! A roundabout would be a much better solution at that junction.

• Advertisement

There absolutely isnt the space for the size of roundabout needed when you consider the paths, cycle lanes etc. That's why all councils dislike them now

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was wondering what was going on,they took down quite a few trees but now that the wall is back up it looks ok. The current works have made The Straffan Road way worse then usual and it is nearly impossible to get on to it from the shops in Greenfield.

I've been told of (and seen the traffic from) people actually going down Lawrence Avenue - Celbridge Road to get out at the lights. Insanity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have being doing it if the traffic is too bad in the morning,it is much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

L1011 wrote: »
    If you mean the Link/Meadowbrook Road, no. Its at the Link/Straffan Road which can be pretty slow to get out of in the mornings and will be worse with 400 more people living on it.
    yep, and in the evenings too. I do worry about the effects it will have on backing up the traffic on the Straffan Rd. in both directions though.

There absolutely isnt the space for the size of roundabout needed when you consider the paths, cycle lanes etc. That's why all councils dislike them now
    not sure I agree, there's the double footpath with the empty grass space on the left side of link road/Straffan Rd. juntion, which is fairly redundant in my view, and there's quite a bit of space behind the bus lay-by which could be extended back for the bus (assuming the council owns this land?)
    there would be plenty of room then for a roundabout IMO.
    the paths on the east side would then follow the bus lay-by wall. the pedestrian crossing at the top of the link road should really be shifted 200m back along the link road either way, lots of people already just cross back there anyway.

not sure I agree, there's the double footpath with the empty grass space on the left side of link road/Straffan Rd. juntion, which is fairly redundant in my view, and there's quite a bit of space behind the bus lay-by which could be extended back for the bus (assuming the council owns this land?)
    there would be plenty of room then for a roundabout IMO.
    the paths on the east side would then follow the bus lay-by wall. the pedestrian crossing at the top of the link road should really be shifted 200m back along the link road either way, lots of people already just cross back there anyway.

The roundabout diameter required to allow it to function without traffic lights would probably require demolishing the nearest houses in Kingsbry and Carton Court.

A too-small roundabout is worse than what's there and proper roundabouts require vast amounts of space.

The space behind the bus stop is privately owned I believe, it certainly had planning permission applied for years ago for a doctors surgery.

looking at the spot on google maps I don't think it would require going back that far at all, a double-lane/large-island roundabout wouldn't be required.
    if the land behind the bus-stop is privately owned though then obviously it wouldn't be possible short of moving that bus stop completely.

a double-lane/large-island roundabout wouldn't be required.

For the traffic volumes, it absolutely would.

Any smaller and the roundabout would need to be signal controlled - and effectively just be a device to trap long vehicles, no benefit to traffic.

AADT (annual average daily traffic) over that junction would be roughly 35000. This is well above the acceptable and sufficient categories of service for a single lane roundabout:

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/roundabouts/fhwasa10006/ (section 5)

Additionally, funding would not be released unless there were suitable cycle and pedestrian lanes at all sides. The space simply isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Can someone please explain where the proposed maynooth by pass link road is supposed to go? What is the route?

Also what about the talk of a second motorway exit for the college?

It just seems to make sense that a second exit linking the motorway to the current Maynooth-Kilcock road would relieve so much traffic in the town.

• Advertisement

Staplor wrote: »
    Can someone please explain where the proposed maynooth by pass link road is supposed to go? What is the route?

Also what about the talk of a second motorway exit for the college?

It just seems to make sense that a second exit linking the motorway to the current Maynooth-Kilcock road would relieve so much traffic in the town.

Ring road - Lidl to Blacklion on the Dublin Road via Griffin Rath Manor; eventually (in a billion years) Blacklion to Moyglare Hall.

Second exit - realistically not happening.

Thanks for that, at least I know where the ring road is now.

That will do very little for traffic.

A second exit would be much better and would alleviate so much more traffic.

It'll take a lot of the south of town / out of town tesco traffic off the main street, some celbridge road school traffic off the straffan road and so on

The NRA/TII would be unlikely to approve another junction between Maynooth and kilcock for junction spacing reasons alone. The NTA proposed moving the junction to the rathcoffey road which is insanity

For the traffic volumes, it absolutely would.

Any smaller and the roundabout would need to be signal controlled - and effectively just be a device to trap long vehicles, no benefit to traffic.

AADT (annual average daily traffic) over that junction would be roughly 35000. This is well above the acceptable and sufficient categories of service for a single lane roundabout:

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/roundabouts/fhwasa10006/ (section 5)

Additionally, funding would not be released unless there were suitable cycle and pedestrian lanes at all sides. The space simply isn't there.

well the cycle and pedestrian lanes would still be intact for the most part so that isn't really an issue.

where are you getting 35,000 from? that seems way above what I would have thought on that road. it's roughly 1 vehicle every 2 seconds for every single minute of the day.

anyway, this is really just pie-in-the-sky stuff as it won't be happening anytime in the forseeable future.

well the cycle and pedestrian lanes would still be intact for the most part so that isn't really an issue.

Not for the required size of roundabout, it would require all the area currently provided and then some. Remember that there are only paths at the moment - cycle lanes would have to be provided on any new works or else the entire project wouldn't be funded.
    where are you getting 35,000 from? that seems way above what I would have thought on that road. it's roughly 1 vehicle every 2 seconds for every single minute of the day.

Old traffic survey figures, I have them at home somewhere. Its about 15000 out between the motorway and Barberstown Castle if you want to see how much traffic there can be on a road that doesn't seem like it. The road at that point is vastly busier.

Basically, roundabouts are only suitable for new build roads due to the space required, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The Council voted to give planning permission to the North South Corridor last Wednesday, with an amendment to retain the right turn lanes on Straffan Road.

Orion wrote: »
    The Council voted to give planning permission to the North South Corridor last Wednesday, with an amendment to retain the right turn lanes on Straffan Road.

Is this the one where they are getting rid of the right turn lanes all the way up the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It was yes. Now the right turn lanes are being retained.

Just noticed a few houses are occupied in Hayfield, before any lights have been erected at the junction. Virgin Media were up there the other day and there seems to be at least 2 houses with occupants.

• Advertisement

Expect Kildare County Council to impose the planning conditions, oh, never

Advertisement