Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB 2.0 Write Speed of USB 3.0 USB Keys

Options
  • 30-10-2015 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if the title looks like gibberish.

I need a fast write speed for a USB 2.0 port, minimum 10 mb/sec, they're hard to find but they are out there.

However, USB 3.0 keys that offer insane speeds are all backwards compatible with 2.0 ports, Im not expecting them to be that fast of course but Im wondering if they do push the 2.0 port to high speeds aswell? All I need is for it to be 10 mb/sec, they all just say:
    - Backwards compatible with USB 2.0 (Please note: speeds on USB 2.0 will be slower compared to USB 3.0 standards)
    Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Thargor wrote: »
    Sorry if the title looks like gibberish.

I need a fast write speed for a USB 2.0 port, minimum 10 mb/sec, they're hard to find but they are out there.

However, USB 3.0 keys that offer insane speeds are all backwards compatible with 2.0 ports, Im not expecting them to be that fast of course but Im wondering if they do push the 2.0 port to high speeds aswell? All I need is for it to be 10 mb/sec, they all just say:

Anyone any ideas?

AFAIK a usb 3.0 stick in a usb 2.0 port will be limited to the speed of the usb 2.0 port. SO whatever is the ports max will be the speed you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

... use the full 480 Mbit/s (60MB/s) which the USB 2.0 Hi-Speed specification.

Only the super fast USB drives are limited by 2.0, the vast majority are slower flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ant695 wrote: »
    AFAIK a usb 3.0 stick in a usb 2.0 port will be limited to the speed of the usb 2.0 port. SO whatever is the ports max will be the speed you can get.
    Hmmm, so you think if I grabbed a 3.0 like this one today from HUKD Id be doing well over the 10 mb/sec I require when plugged into a 2.0 port:

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/grixx-usb-3-0-flash-drive-128gb-WH2-GRUSB128GBALUU3

Happy days if so.
    ED E wrote: »
    Only the super fast USB drives are limited by 2.0, the vast majority are slower flash.
    Can you elaborate a bit here please? You think cheap 3.0's like the link above will have crappy 2.0 speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Think of it like this:

Your have a banger of a car that does 40Mph. You can drive on rural roads with a 50Mph limit or a motorway with an 80Mph limit, you still only do 40Mph. Most flash drives are that banger.

One you linked:
    It features rapid USB 3.0 transfer speeds. We tested the write speed to be a minimum of 68mb/s and a read speed of up to 94mb/s.

In a USB2.0 port this should do at least 50MB/s read and 50MB/s write. But bear in mind, cheap keys tend to only do max speed for a few seconds then slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Thargor wrote: »
    Can you elaborate a bit here please? You think cheap 3.0's like the link above will have crappy 2.0 speeds?

Forget about USB 3.0 and 2.0 it tells you nothing about the speed you will get from a USB key.
    Which all about the quality of the memory & chipset used.

Instead look at the speed tests of actual benchmarks of the key.

http://usb.userbenchmark.com/

You will also be limited the quality of the USB port of your computer. They don't all get the same speeds either. Some use better controllers than others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement