Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar Greenway

Options
  • 30-10-2015 3:28pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it suitable for a road bike? Some said to me some of it is off road but they werent sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Any picture of the new greenway to Athlone is of smoothasababysarse(tm) tarmac.

It's all off road in the sense of it not being on a road... The canal towpath is a little rougher, but fine for a roadbike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i cycled both on a carbon road bike recently. the towpath from the county boundary to mullingar is absolutely fine for it, the greenway from mullingar to athlone is a better surface than any road you'll cycle!

one thing to be aware of on both is regular stops for gates etc

thread on it here btw
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057490409

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

godtabh wrote: »
    Is it suitable for a road bike? Some said to me some of it is off road but they werent sure

There's a lot of leaves and debris off trees in some places at the moment but that's the same with some of the quieter roads. Time of year and all that. There's also a section of about 2km close to the Athlone end which isn't surfaced. It's got a surface dressing with a very fine chip. There's a fair bit of loose chip which may puncture softer compound tyres. This section looks as if parts were built up and they're leaving a settlement period before surfacing proper. If you're coming from Dublin it may be worth checking wind direction. I was on it today and had a 40km return journey to Mullingar into a head wind. Mullingar and Athlone are roughly the same from Dublin. The canal route joins onto it about 3-4km from the Mullingar end so you can keep going

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its likely to be Dublin - Mullingar - Athlone - Beer.

tigerboon wrote: »
    There's a lot of leaves and debris off trees in some places at the moment but that's the same with some of the quieter roads. Time of year and all that. There's also a section of about 2km close to the Athlone end which isn't surfaced. It's got a surface dressing with a very fine chip. There's a fair bit of loose chip which may puncture softer compound tyres. This section looks as if parts were built up and they're leaving a settlement period before surfacing proper. If you're coming from Dublin it may be worth checking wind direction. I was on it today and had a 40km return journey to Mullingar into a head wind. Mullingar and Athlone are roughly the same from Dublin. The canal route joins onto it about 3-4km from the Mullingar end so you can keep going

i got hit with a headwind both down and back a few weeks back :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Would be interested checking this out. With that in mind, where is the jumping on point for this cycle path in Mulliger? Is it just after the train station proper or further along?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Would be interested checking this out. With that in mind, where is the jumping on point for this cycle path in Mulliger? Is it just after the train station proper or further along?

Just beside outdoor escape bike shop in the industrial estate on the outskirts of mullingar.
    There's a small pathway leading down to it at the roundabout. Not well signposted yet.
    Plenty of unused units for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

velo.2010 wrote: »

I parked at the train station (pay and display in operation there) and cycled down a bit of the canal path till I met the Greenway

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

marvin80 wrote: »
    I parked at the train station (pay and display in operation there) and cycled down a bit of the canal path till I met the Greenway

There's a car park on the opposite side of the roundabout from the entrance to the greenway. Not sure if it's meant for people using the greenway but it's newly surfaced and is right next to a council yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I've cycled this a few times now and I've only had the one puncture but that was because I hit a stone and that was before it was officially opened/finished on the Athlone side. The surface is incredibly smooth tarmac with a few gates in between where you have to completely slow down. It's wide enough for two bikes to cycle alongside and there would still be room to overtake.

It's a brilliant cycleway and I will be using it a lot this winter. Only thing is it's so boring to cycle on your own and also there does seem to be a drag both ways on it, I'm yet to experience a tailwind on it.

For anyone unable to find the entrance, it's basically here where you are facing on Google maps. The only thing is on Google Maps it's not built yet, it's grass.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.5168696,-7.3628326,3a,75y,237.34h,75.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1splJVKgHbt9RJJE6RW_beNw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

I'm trying to remember if there was somewhere suitable along the canal near Mullingar for wild camping, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

i cycled both on a carbon road bike recently. the towpath from the county boundary to mullingar is absolutely fine for it, the greenway from mullingar to athlone is a better surface than any road you'll cycle!

one thing to be aware of on both is regular stops for gates etc

thread on it here btw
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057490409

I didn't think there were any gates that you had to stop at on Mullingar - Athlone? I thought there were just chicanes that you could cycle through?

I didn't think there were any gates that you had to stop at on Mullingar - Athlone? I thought there were just chicanes that you could cycle through?

yeah not latched gates, not sure if you can cycle through without stopping or not as was only on it a couple of weeks before it opened when they had much bigger obstacles in place!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Where is the best place there for parking arena ?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

has anyone cycled it lately, planning on doing coming from North County Dublin via Dunshaughlin, Hill of Downs.

is it still in good condition?

has anyone cycled it lately, planning on doing coming from North County Dublin via Dunshaughlin, Hill of Downs.

is it still in good condition?

It's tarmac... So I'd say it hasn't worn out yet ;) On the Mullingar-Athlone Greenway anyway.

If you're going along the canal from the hill of Down,
    It's road to the next bridge ( 1km) then awful rough track for ~2km to the Westmeath border, made it on 23mm front wheel but rolling slowly and picking a line through cobbles and potholes the whole way.

You could detour and take the roads to the north to the next canal overbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

If I was doing it on a road bike id stay off it till after mary lynches pub as it is rough enough the best bit starts after the railway on mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

It's tarmac... So I'd say it hasn't worn out yet ;) On the Mullingar-Athlone Greenway anyway.

If you're going along the canal from the hill of Down,
    It's road to the next bridge ( 1km) then awful rough track for ~2km to the Westmeath border, made it on 23mm front wheel but rolling slowly and picking a line through cobbles and potholes the whole way.

You could detour and take the roads to the north to the next canal overbridge.

was thinking i may have to do something like that, cheers carawaystick

yeah not latched gates, not sure if you can cycle through without stopping or not as was only on it a couple of weeks before it opened when they had much bigger obstacles in place!

You can cycle through, they're about a yard wide and a yard long at right angles to the direction of travel, where you cross a road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Went from Killucan to Castletown last Monday (60k return). Killucan to Mullingar (20k) was mainly on hardpack & old tarmac and ran along the canal but definitely rideable on 23mm's. The actual Mullingar to Castletown part was a joy to cycle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Thread about this over in the westmeath forum. Lovely surface, nice smooth and flat. Only bad surface is for a km or so just outside athlone.
    My opinion on it is that it is the most boring cycle I have ever done in my life. I actually got so bored I came back on the roads. Grand for people who are not confident or afraid of traffic, but not for me. I will never do not again. Just be aware that it has kind of become a dog walkers and people with kids area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Do you get bored with everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Planet X wrote:
    Do you get bored with everything?

Haha good question. No I don't get bored of everything, surprisingly enough. But maybe I do have a touch of A.D.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

It is dull alright but I find it great for midweek spins. Up and down to moate ish for a quick 30 with no traffic. It is busy for the first 1k outside town but I'll take that over traffic. And it has definitely increased cycling in the area. Family's and tourists on hire bikes? More please. Plus the connection to the canal makes it a great bit of infrastructure.

So......where's the best place to "hop on" on Mullingar side?

Just west of Hill of Down?

Planet X wrote: »
    So......where's the best place to "hop on" on Mullingar side?

Just west of Hill of Down?

The Greenway only starts at Mullingar
    but the royal canal has a cyclable-on-a-roadbike surface from here

The canal surface is much lower quality than the greenway, which has a perfect surface, bar a km or so of tar&chip.

The Greenway only starts at Mullingar
    but the royal canal has a cyclable-on-a-roadbike surface from here

The canal surface is much lower quality than the greenway, which has a perfect surface, bar a km or so of tar&chip.

OK, thanks Caraway, so where abouts in Mullingar? Easy to find?

The canal is all tarmac around Mullingar, Loops around the town. Hard to Miss.
    I'd definitely recommend getting on the Canal from Mary Lynch's pub, where the canal crosses the N4. The N4 into Mullingar is 10+km of Dual Carriageway with no hard shoulder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

There is a hard shoulder along that section. It's my daily driving route to work but you would want to be bat sh*t crazy to cycle it. Despite it being a 100kmh zone everyone is still doing mway speeds due to it just coming off the m4. There has been quite a few pedestrian fatalities along there aswell so a no go area for cycling.

Advertisement