Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar Greenway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Any update on the Mullingar - Longford along the canal.

Just cycled Athlone - Mullingar and it is excellent, along the old train line. The surface is excellent, could do with more seats and picnic tables otherwise excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

dingding wrote: »
    Any update on the Mullingar - Longford along the canal.

Mullingar to Ballymahon along the canal is good - you'd need to do it on a hybrid though - soft gravel in a lot of parts.
    The same goes for Longford to Cloondra.

http://www.longfordtourism.ie/wp-content/uploads/Royal-Canal-Cycle-Route.pdf

Been meaning to do Ballymahon to Cloonsheerin Bridge to see what the surface is like there as well but haven't got around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mario Speedwagon

I cycled the Greenway today: Mullingar-Athlone-Mullingar; the surface was great except for a small stretch near Athlone that was still unsurfaced. Plenty of people out on TT bikes, too.

I really enjoyed the change from cycling on the road, and the flatness meant that I was pedalling the whole time, no freewheeling.

It was nice but I couldn’t do it every week, I’d get bored, but it was a nice way for me to get some distance (for me, anyway – it’s the furthest I’ve ever cycled). I could do it once a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

yeah it's definitely not overly scenic but the peacefulness is fantastic.

i hope the TT'ers were slowing down when passing families etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

will be on it this weekend, cycling from Dublin, cant wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The stretch near Longwood isn't finished. Completely unfit for a bike, it's 2"crushed rock. Even on a mountain bike you'd be shook to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

marvin80 wrote: »
    Mullingar to Ballymahon along the canal is good - you'd need to do it on a hybrid though - soft gravel in a lot of parts.
    The same goes for Longford to Cloondra.

http://www.longfordtourism.ie/wp-content/uploads/Royal-Canal-Cycle-Route.pdf

Been meaning to do Ballymahon to Cloonsheerin Bridge to see what the surface is like there as well but haven't got around to it.

I cycled Keenagh to Cloondra at the weekend. It is lovely (mixture of tarmac and soft gravel). You do have to come off the canal path around Killashee for about 4km, but then back on again all the way to Cloondra. Great facility, peaceful and very quiet.
    In the past I have cycled Keenagh towards Ballymahon, but the surface is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Did the greenway on Saturday.

Came down from NCD via Dunshaughlin - Trim - Hill of Down. Hopped on the canal there and on to Mullingar to the greenway.

Was a great journey, except for the few kms on the canal just after Hill of Down. Serious amount of rocks/gravel, would avoid it if i were to do the same journey again. definitely not suitable for a road bike that little stretch of the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭feedthegoat

Walked the stretch from Longwood and again on from Hill of Down in anticipation of bringing the kids for a cycle later in the month. Far to much rough gravel to cycle it safely. Great walk however, loads of dragonflies, fish, numerous sightings of heron - had great potential if fully developed.

Deedsie wrote: »
    I am really hopeful the greenways will become areas where re-wilding initiatives can be attempted along suitable sections of the greenways. Native wildflower meadows and native trees etc. This would vastly improve the scenery and natural sounds greenway users will experience.

yeah i fully agree - there's certainly a great opportunity to do this and it would hugely add to the attraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Any recommendations for a nice cafe at the Moate/Athlone end of the Greenway?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Tuar Ard in Moate is a nice spot cycle friendly and you can see your bike from inside or you can sit outside. Food is good and reasonable also

hoping to finally get to do the full length of this on Sunday, weather / mood etc pending as will be home in Athlone for a few days.

any thoughts on a suitable spot in Mullingar for an early morning (9am ish) coffee before turning around and heading back the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

any thoughts on a suitable spot in Mullingar for an early morning (9am ish) coffee before turning around and heading back the way?

Probably best to head to some of the shops on the outskirts for bike parking so there's a SPAR here or a Centra here which should work.

Advertisement