Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound card

Options
  • 30-10-2015 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭

I want to add a sound card to my Komlett PC. The PC is of unknown age (lost the invoice). And I don’t know much about PCs.

The motherboard is part CK NF68 A1 with a date of November 2006 (internet search).
    If you type in the part number on Google you get a PDF file, and page 62 of the PDF shows the motherboard image. (bare without memory or cards).

Looking at the PDF image of the motherboard this is what I learned.

PDF motherboard diagram sockets numbered 23 on the PDF
    These are 2 X PCI Express x16 sockets (SLI).
    Both of these sockets are occupied by NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT cards.

PDF motherboard diagram socket numbered 25
    This is hampered by a short cable linked to NVIDIA SPP with passive heat sink (numbered 2 on the PDF).

The other (there are two) PCI Express x1 socket (numbered 25 on the PDF) is hidden behind the bulky top NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT card.

PCI Express Graphics Expansion socket (numbered 24 on the PDF) is unoccupied and in clear view, but I guess this is not for a sound card (PCIE X16_3).

There are 2 X PCI sockets (white) numbered 22. The top one is visible, accessible, unoccupied. The other one is hidden behind the lower NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT card.

I would appreciate any advice on installing a sound card. Looking at my PC many of the sockets are blocked by the two bulky video cards, and other sockets do not seem (to me) suitable for sound cards.
    My preference is for the best I can get, something like the Asutek Essence STX II PCIE 7.1 (Elara €285), but no point in buying something that does not go in the motherboard.

My Komplett PC
    Windows 7
    Disk Drives a mixed bag: 465GB ATA; 111GB SCSI; 465GB SCSI
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU 2.40Ghz
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200A ATA device
    Monitor PLB2403WS (IIYAMA)
    Installed memory 4.00 GB

Is it time for a new PC? This one is working perfectly. I do not play games.
    Or is it possible to take most of what I have and get it put into a new case with a new motherboard (I wouldn't have a clue)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I'd suggest looking at a decent DAC/Amp combination instead. The O2 DAC/Amp on Massdrop is available at the moment for the next 8 or 9 days so look into that if you have a spare USB port.

Could you explain your use case for the soundcard? Would help with suggesting a lot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I want to copy my old LP collection (about 400) to CD. I never play the LPs but would listen to them if I had them on CD and could play them while using the PC. The LP turntable is this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linn_Sondek_LP12
    so I want to get the best possible sound from the PC soundcard.
    I don't understand your post. My guess is you think I have the music in digital.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TBH would the onboard sound card not be of good enough quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

It would, for this kind of recording the soundcard does practically nothing. It just accepts the signal and the CPU does the encoding to whatever file format you choose.
    Assuming I googled the same as you, this is what you are reading: http://www.favorite-classical-composers.com/lp-to-mp3.html
    Background noise is probably minimal from the computer compared to the noise generated from the head of the record deck, hell even from the pre-amp if it isn't good quality. So unless you are absolutely sure this possible background noise is unacceptable, I'd just go with the line in on the PC.

Xenoronin
    Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement