Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add cooker circuit

Options
  • 30-10-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I want to add a circuit for a cooker to my consumer unit. Is this something I could do myself? (I am fairly good at DIY, including electrical).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

tmccar wrote: »
    I want to add a circuit for a cooker to my consumer unit. Is this something I could do myself? (I am fairly good at DIY, including electrical).

Legally you wouldn't be allowed to do this. The level of difficulty in actually doing the job will depend on the type of house you have and the route you will need to take to run the cable from the fuseboard to the cooker. A separate 6mm cable will be needed for the circuit and it's own mcb.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tmccar

Ok, I better hire an electrician. How about running the cable only - could I do this myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

tmccar wrote: »
    Ok, I better hire an electrician. How about running the cable only - could I do this myself?

That would come down to the type of house, type of walls, the need to chase walls and your own abilities really. Cookers generally go on block walls so chasing the wall would probably help the electrician. It would probably be best to discuss all of this with an electrician after he has seen the job.

Advertisement