Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants rent allowance suspended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd an ex tenant pull that trick , she then said she had to move out . 15 months later I had a call from the SW, transpired she moved back to her parents living rent free and cashing in the chequered from the SW for herself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Generalise much?

Do you receive any Welfare Benefits??
    If so, would you like to be generalised and judged because of it??

Afterall, there a lot of people who receive Benefits who would be looked down upon by the rest of society because of the way they behave, dress, talk etc. ......... how would you feel about being lumped in there with them??

There lots of good tenants and there are lots of bad tenants ........... some of them rent privately and some of them receive RA.

And 100% of RA tenants do not control the rent money. That's not generalising, its a fact. This is not the landlords fault, not his problem and not his responsibility. If you want to go moralising go do it to the people who failed to provide proper social housing.
    This has happened previously to this tenant, it could easily happen again. ****ty for the tenant, ****ty for the OP, difference is the tenant isn't risking a huge financial obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

It could also be that they are changing her rent allowance to hap, it's usually meant to go seamlessly but sometimes there are problems like this.
    But normally the land lord would of received new forms to fill in, it could be because they didn't receive them that they have stopped her payment.
    I hope this is the reason, as I can think of no reason why a tenant who has been so reliable for 5 years would suddenly change now especially when it's so difficult finding housing that excepts hap/rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

It could also be that they are changing her rent allowance to hap, it's usually meant to go seamlessly but sometimes there are problems like this.
    But normally the land lord would of received new forms to fill in, it could be because they didn't receive them that they have stopped her payment.
    I hope this is the reason, as I can think of no reason why a tenant who has been so reliable for 5 years would suddenly change nowespecially when it's so difficult finding housing that excepts hap/rent allowance.

I can but I won't say on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I can but I won't say on here.

You'd only be guessing anyway ...........

• Advertisement

You'd only be guessing anyway ...........

True, as are others giving feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don't go starting the evicting process yet,as others have said that is a long process.. Did she get you to sign the documents for the rent review?

There's no reason not to start the process of formal warning etc. The fact its long process is every reason to start immediately. If it gets sorted Or if they make a payment the process just gets reset.

That's not to say you should write off the tenant just yet. They should still be paying their share of the rent anyway. Even if there is shortfall. If they are paying nothing it might mean they have other plans here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

JT26 wrote: »
    Why not

Because it wouldn't be very acceptable on here and would probably get me a warning or a ban, some opinions are not going to be popular with everyone....... I'd also like to know if the tenent is paying her part of the rent, if she's not that will tell you a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

And plenty of RA tenants have their money suspended because of some f*ck up by a dopey Civil Servant which is not the RA tenant's fault ...... also a fact but let's just ignore facts for now and brand all RA tenants as the "same" shall we? :rolleyes:

Which is one of the reasons landlords are so reluctant to take tenants on ra.
    Whether it's the tenants fault or the social welfares fault, it certainly isn't the landlords.

Private tenant leaves you out of pocket, you can drag him through the courts, ra tenant leaves you out of pocket, there's no point as once you've obtained an order for lost rent, the person on RA isn't going to have any money anyway.

It isn't the landlords problem that the system is broken and he shouldn't risk leaving himself out of pocket because of a broken system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Kinda irrelevant if the OP has this tenant for 5yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm aware you didn't say everybody but you did say he should think carefully about taking in another ra tenant or words to that effect.
    And rightly so. The payments can and do stop randomly and it doesn't matter that sometimes it's completely the fault of the department. That's reason enough not to accept RS tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

"I have a tenant in a house for over 5 years now and she is a single mother of 2 in receipt of rent allowance. On occasion over the years the rent has been late (by up to 2 weeks sometimes) and sometimes she has contacted me to let me know 'the social welfare didnt lodge the money this month and she'll pay double next month'
    Last month was one of these occasions"

I'm not quite sure why there's so many people adamant he should go out of his way not to lose such a wonderful tenant. She sounds like a bit of a disaster. I'm not saying she deserves to be homeless, but she seems to have a great landlord, who she totally undervalues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Don't pay, don't stay. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

beauf wrote: »
    Kinda irrelevant if the OP has this tenant for 5yrs.

Who's regularly skipped months of paying rent. If she can't pay one months rent what makes you think she's going to be able to pay a lump sum for three months? She's paying nothing. And mentions for the first time that there's a problem with SW the day the two rents are due

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have a tenant in a house for over 5 years now and she is a single mother of 2 in receipt of rent allowance. On occasion over the years the rent has been late (by up to 2 weeks sometimes) and sometimes she has contacted me to let me know 'the social welfare didnt lodge the money this month and she'll pay double next month'
    Last month was one of these occasions and today she informs me that she needs to provide an updated lease to the DSP as her rent allowance is currently suspended.

Having covered the rent myself last month on the provision that I would get 2 months this month (due today) as this has happened before as mentioned, any advice on what I can do to get the 2 months rent ? Tried calling the Social Welfare office but no answer all day today and the phone just rings out.
    Im now owed 2 months rent and if the tenant doesnt get the rent allowance she isnt in a position to pay anything at all.
    I have obligations to pay the mortgage on the property but should the Social Welfare not have informed me as a PRTB registered landlord of the property that the tenants allowances were in suspension ?
    Do I have any recourse in this situation at all ? I cant afford to cover a 2nd months rent on the tenants behalf. Why should i be caused to default on the mortgage due to the social welfare / tenant issue ?

Any advice appreciated !

I had to issue an eviction notice to a tenant ,they moved out before the date and didn't tell me .when their rent allowance was lodged it was a tiny amount and they had already started paying the rent on her new place . I just had to deal with it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Can we ease off on the RA bashing and the speculation about the tenant's situation please. The OP is looking for advice on how to handle the difficult situation they are now in.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

what if the OP has three young children and they will have to be taken out of cr che due to lack of funds or not get xmas presents due to the selfish actions of this women?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Talk to the tenants community welfare officer. They should tell you what you need, possibly a copy of the lease.

I have had this freeze happen more than once when rent allowance recipients fail to give the letter that the CWO sends them asking for a copy of the lease.

I wouldn't initiate any eviction proceedings unless it's indicated that the rent allowance will no longer be paid to the tenant. If this is the case remember to give adequate notice since this tenant has been there for over 5 years.

Personally I wouldn't jump the gun yet. If the tenant decides to stay put and the rent remains unpaid they could be there for 1yr plus before being legally evicted.

Talk to their CWO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Talk to the tenants community welfare officer. They should tell you what you need, possibly a copy of the lease.

I have had this freeze happen more than once when rent allowance recipients fail to provide the letter the CWO sends or gives them.

I wouldn't initiate any eviction proceedings unless it's indicated that the rent allowance will no longer be paid to the tenant. If this is the case remember to give adequate notice since this tenant has been there for 5 years.

Personally I wouldn't jump the gun yet. If the tenant decides to stay put and the rent remains unpaid they could be there for 1yr plus before being legally evicted

Talk to their CWO.

Appalling. So an eviction notice as a shot across the bows won't put the non-paying tenant out of the OP's property for 12 months. The sooner he puts it in motion the less likely he'll be on the streets himself for non-payment of his own bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Appalling. So an eviction notice as a shot across the bows won't put the non-paying tenant out of the OP's property for 12 months. The sooner he puts it in motion the less likely he'll be on the streets himself for non-payment of his own bills.
    Yes, it's terrible.

Someone posted recently where they paid €5,000 in solicitor fees and after a year the tenant still hadn't been evicted even after PRTB ruled in the landlords favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

This thread is just another example why landlords should avoid RA tenants always up to the 'bad' landlord to sort out the issue or push the tenant to do so. Hassle hassle hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

A single mother to two children ......... yep, just kick her out ......... who needs compassion and understanding these days what with the high demand/low supply of rental properties ......... gotta strike while the iron's hot!! :rolleyes:
    Will you take them in or set up a DD to help with the rent?

Who's regularly skipped months of paying rent. If she can't pay one months rent what makes you think she's going to be able to pay a lump sum for three months? She's paying nothing. And mentions for the first time that there's a problem with SW the day the two rents are due

Not quite ......... she's been late with the rent (up to two weeks once) which doesn't sound as dramatic as "skipped months of paying rent" but let's stick to the facts as posted.

I have had this freeze happen more than once when rent allowance recipients fail to give the letter that the CWO sends them asking for a copy of the lease.

I wouldn't initiate any eviction proceedings unless it's indicated that the rent allowance will no longer be paid to the tenant. If this is the case remember to give adequate notice since this tenant has been there for over 5 years.

Personally I wouldn't jump the gun yet. If the tenant decides to stay put and the rent remains unpaid they could be there for 1yr plus before being legally evicted.

Talk to their CWO.

Best advice so far on this thread .......... sensible, logical and realistic ......... take note Op.

This thread is just another example why landlords should avoid RA tenants always up to the 'bad' landlord to sort out the issue or push the tenant to do so. Hassle hassle hassle

Eh .......... a private tenant could (and many have) stop paying rent and/or destroy a property and the LL would still have to go through the whole eviction process just as they would do with RA tenants.

Icepick wrote: »
    Will you take them in or set up a DD to help with the rent?

I've had tenants myself who have fallen on hard times and, yes, I did help them out because it meant I didn't have to go through the eviction process which would have crippled me financially ........... an added bonus was it also meant I didn't have to put a young family on the street.

There's a difference between a bad tenant and a tenant who is going through a bad patch ........... we don't know which kind of tenant this girl is as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Exactly.

I actually think somebody with RA could be a better bet than a private tenant as it's so hard to get a landlord that'll accept RA that they will be on their best behaviour. When looking for a place to rent I've been surprised how many ads explicitly say that they won't take the allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Not quite ......... she's been late with the rent (up to two weeks once) which doesn't sound as dramatic as "skipped months of paying rent" but let's stick to the facts as posted.

Indeed. From post #1.
    sometimes she has contacted me to let me know 'the social welfare didnt lodge the money this month and she'll pay double next month'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭slowjoe17

And plenty of RA tenants have their money suspended because of some f*ck up by a dopey Civil Servant which is not the RA tenant's fault ...... also a fact but let's just ignore facts for now and brand all RA tenants as the "same" shall we? :rolleyes:

I find it interesting that you blame the landlord for protecting themselves, rather than calling for the civil servant to be sacked.

Also interesting that you demonise any landlord for even considering the risk created when a "dopey civil servant" is determining whether they can pay their mortgage.

Advertisement