Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert or A-levels?

Options
  • 30-10-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I was thinking of doing A-levels instead of the Leaving cert.

How would I make the transition and how different would it be?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Harder in most subjects - where do you think you would sit your exams/attend classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aoif.something

I'm not sure where, at least not yet.

My parents are thinking of sending me to the UK instead of doing my leaving cert here. I've taken a look at the subjects and they seem to more in depth. A lot of the subjects require things I wouldn't have covered over here in Ireland. They also don't have transition year in the UK, which is a major flaw for me as I have no idea what I want to do after I finish school. Going into fifth year alone is a huge change so when I think of an entire new system like sixth form... It's kind of crazy for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not sure where, at least not yet.

My parents are thinking of sending me to the UK instead of doing my leaving cert here. I've taken a look at the subjects and they seem to more in depth. A lot of the subjects require things I wouldn't have covered over here in Ireland. They also don't have transition year in the UK, which is a major flaw for me as I have no idea what I want to do after I finish school. Going into fifth year alone is a huge change so when I think of an entire new system like sixth form... It's kind of crazy for me.

Seems like there would be more plusses to you staying here, to be honest. Are your family moving to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aoif.something

No, they're not moving to the UK. It's just me that will be going if I choose to do the A-levels. I'll be staying with relatives.

Well, it's up to you I suppose. You seem to have a number of good reasons why staying here and doing the Leaving would be better for you. What good reasons are there to move and do A Levels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

With A levels you study three or four subjects in more depth than the 8 or so subjects studied for the leaving cert. I did A levels a long time ago and even then there was much less rote learning than there seems to be in the leaving cert. that may, or may not, suit you. I can't see the benefit of moving away from home to do A levels tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

To the best of my knowledge you won't be able to go to university if you sit A-Levels unless you do A-Level English and Mathematics, as if you don't have these a minimum of GCSE English and Mathematics is required, and I'm very sure Junior Cert is not considered equal to GCSE.

Additionally, if you were born in the Republic of Ireland you won't be able to attend any of the NUI universities (UCD, UCC, Galway, Maynooth) as A-Level Irish is only taught in Northern Ireland, and Irish is a requirement unless:
    - You were born outside the Republic of Ireland
    - Your Primary education took place outside of the Republic of Ireland
    - You lived outside Ireland for at least three full years of your education (A-Levels are only two years and you'll presumably be home for summer, Christmas etc.)

Also remember that school holidays are significantly shorter (for example 5/6 weeks for summer) in the UK, although that shouldn't be a huge consideration.

Advertisement