Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Fashion Design to Graphic Design?

Options
  • 30-10-2015 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

I have just recently finished my BA(hons) in Fashion Design however I have now realised I would really love to learn more in the area of Graphic design and am considering studying it. I have a good knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator programmes already and have good drawing and illustration skills. I'm just wondering since I already have some knowledge of Graphic/digital Design, what would be the best route for me to take ?

Should I go back to the beginning and start a Bachelors degree in Graphic Design ( the thought of that kinda kills me a little) , Is there a way I can further my study without completing another three years? is it possible to go straight into the second year pending my portfolio assessment? Is there any sort of good shorter courses in Ireland? If I know how to use the Adobe programmes mentioned above is there much else I'm missing or have I pretty much got the knowledge already? would It be even worth going to do a course?
    Should I look at postgraduate study or is that throwing myself in a bit too deep without a basic degree in it? or alternatively look at Level 6/7 courses which might be shorter but not give me as much of a qualification/ education?

I would really appreciate any opinions, advice or suggestions ! Please ! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

If I was you I would not go near a 4 year course, unless you are sure that it will be solely graphic design modules throughout and not bullsh*t filler writing and reports like mine. I think if you have a strong portfolio that speaks more than a piece of paper. Though that helps but at the end of the day employers want to see you can do the work.
    I would do an adobe certified course or a plc even before putting four years into a college degree unless the college course is all practical based.

Advertisement