Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Want to get a bike, few questions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

cantdecide wrote: »
    There are some very rare circumstances where you might need one but if you haven't earned your entitlements abroad, there wasn't a form-filling foul up that required clarification or something changed with your eyesight then you shouldn't have been required to submit one. If you were instructed to, I'm afraid you were sent on a fool's errand. There have been a lot of changes and also, don't forget, the NDLS are only in existence for two years so there has been a lot of misinformation at different times.

As long as there's an eyesight report against your driver number, you're covered. Your driver number will be the same on both your full licence and permit. It's linked to your identity much like your PPS number. At the very least, being a licence holder allows the NDLS to assume your eyesight is not in question.

Well you get a nice polycarbonate card now and you're saved the hassle and expense of getting photos. It will be €35 for the permit.

Tbh. I'd recommend anyone who is even thinking of going to get a motorcycle license to do an eye test no exceptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

listermint wrote: »
    Tbh. I'd recommend anyone who is even thinking of going to get a motorcycle license to do an eye test no exceptions

Sure we see what they say, no problems if its needed. Still waiting on book and disk to arrive! Ordered it Sat, said its takes 7/10 days to arrive, I have ordered things from the UK that have arrived quicker !

Where do you guys buy your gear? Helmets etc.. just want to have a nose around. Would ideally like to get a cam also, just to do some blogging on Youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Gearwise, shop around. Go to Bikeworld, Cotters and Megabikes, see who looks after you. They've all been grand for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

TallGlass wrote:
    A 600/650cc sounds a little big for starting out? I have been looking at Lexmoto bikes and getting quote of 370€ online or generally for any 125cc bike.
    Will have a look at some 600/650cc bikes.

I got my license this summer. Did the direct access course in a school near me. Was on the Suzuki Gladius 650cc (i think 75 bhp) bike for my training. It was really learner friendly and quite forgiving. It had enough grunt to get the overtakes done but wasn't a speed machine. Had great torque down low which I found great for all the stopping and starting in traffic.
    When I passed I went looking for a bike to buy. I settled on a Triumph Street Triple 675cc and it is brilliant. It has 30 extra ponies in the engine and goes like stink. Again loads of low down torque but keeps pulling all the way up the rev range. Absolutely love this bike!
    When I was preparing to do the direcr access course I had never ridden anything bigger than a 125cc bike. I was nervous about the 650cc bike I would be learning on thinking it would be too big and at that point had been looking at the Kawasaki ninja 300 and other bikes if that size. But, after a day on the Suzuki gladius I realise there was no need to be so nervous and as my instructor told me, it will only go as fast as my right hand tells it to!
    Wait and see how you get on with the bigger bike in your training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

eoin_mcg wrote: »
    When I was preparing to do the direcr access course I had never ridden anything bigger than a 125cc bike. I was nervous about the 650cc bike I would be learning on thinking it would be too big and at that point had been looking at the Kawasaki ninja 300 and other bikes if that size. But, after a day on the Suzuki gladius I realise there was no need to be so nervous and as my instructor told me, it will only go as fast as my right hand tells it to!
    Wait and see how you get on with the bigger bike in your training.

Indeed, when I transitioned from a 125cc dirt bike to a 550cc street bike it was intimidating as hell going from light and nimble to big and heavy. It’s amazing how quickly you adapt to the larger bike

• Advertisement

Some great info here guys!

Good news is I got my book/DVD so can start to do a few tests, hopefully try do it next weekend. We will see how I get in during the week.

Wanted to do this a while now, so excited and nervous at the same time.

So, trying to book the theory test for the weekend in Dublin(no dates showing at all). Can't get any dates for the Northside of Dublin. Is this normal? I thought there be more than two centers in Dublin.

Called them up there. Apparently it's completely normal to be waiting up to two months for a test. Why is Ireland such a joke of a country. There is absolelty no reason you should have to wait two months. She even said there's no cancellation bookings.

I'll be sending a letter of to local TDs, if they thinking waiting two months is completely normal.

This is very normal, you cant just rock up next week for a test. You probably should have looked into this first.

If you have transport you can do the test in other test centres.

I did mine in Wicklow got it 2 weeks after application.

Your local TD will do nothing for you.

listermint wrote: »
    This is very normal, you cant just rock up next week for a test. You probably should have looked into this first.

If you have transport you can do the test in other test centres.

I did mine in Wicklow got it 2 weeks after application.

Your local TD will do nothing for you.

True, I should have booked a little earlier, but honestly I wasn't expecting to be waiting 8+ weeks. I got sorted with something closer by sheer luck, Friday week the 13th. I'll keep checking the site for anything that may come up.

As for the local TD, just to make them aware really, its not even the that you can get a date after 8 weeks, if there's nothing you can't even book or register your interest and have the system email you some dates when available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

TallGlass wrote: »
    I got sorted with something closer by sheer luck, Friday week the 13th. I'll keep checking the site for anything that may come up

I think everyone enjoys that very same luck, tbh. Just like when people whinge about about the NCT and the 'priority list' comes to the rescue for the umpteenth time and you realise the the priority list is really just the list and you only wait if you're not very arsed.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I think everyone enjoys that very same luck, tbh. Just like when people whinge about about the NCT and the 'priority list' comes to the rescue for the umpteenth time and you realise the the priority list is really just the list and you only wait if you're not very arsed.

Guess so. Just naive of me to think, you could just pick from a good selection of dates. Would ideally like to have everything done by Jan then start getting the bike. Could start getting gear now I suppose, but IBT I think would be worth waiting for on that one.

Have to say, picked some time of the year to start this! How's this time of year for riding, worse, good, indifferent? Should I wait till its better to get the bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Guess so. Just naive of me to think, you could just pick from a good selection of dates. Would ideally like to have everything done by Jan then start getting the bike. Could start getting gear now I suppose, but IBT I think would be worth waiting for on that one.

Have to say, picked some time of the year to start this! How's this time of year for riding, worse, good, indifferent? Should I wait till its better to get the bike?

When I started riding it was a February so something similar to now. I don't think it's a major factor. You just have to pick your moments. I don't know if instructors will call off an IBT session if it's raining but I suppose they probably might? If it gets very cold you might be uncomfortable. I'd say if it's mildish and dryish like it normally is then the season should be a big deal. Personally, I hate hot weather on the bike, I think it's easier to manage a bit of damp and cold with your choice of gear and under layers.

I'd say the last few weeks would have been perfect to start out, cool enough and dry, not sure what the rest of november has in store.

I did my IBT during a July/August and the combination of the heat and me sweating bullets and leaving arse casseroles in me strides on every corner made it a pretty sweaty experience.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I wouldn't do IBT until Spring.

Learning to ride in these crap conditions could kill your enthusiasm.

Just get your theory test done and learner permit sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Burks_ie

hi i just received my provisional licence last week and looked to do the IBT. I think i will hold off till feb or march to do it. was hoping to give the test ago after my IBT and a pre test subject to the 6 months. Is that realistic or dreaming. would prefer to bring down the insurance costs with a full licence prior to purchasing a bike. thanks for any advice

Burks_ie wrote: »
    hi i just received my provisional licence last week and looked to do the IBT. I think i will hold off till feb or march to do it. was hoping to give the test ago after my IBT and a pre test subject to the 6 months. Is that realistic or dreaming. would prefer to bring down the insurance costs with a full licence prior to purchasing a bike. thanks for any advice

Totally realistic, depending on how much practice you're getting.

Get an insurance assessment, they can bring your insurance down to full license levels depending how you do. I looked at the breakdown of my quote and a liberty grade 2 got me 30% off, which is the same loading for getting your license AFAICT.

I started riding in November, did the full IBT in literal pissings of rain, and i can tell you something it stood me very well i learned better skills and i got to see first hand what an actual '****' day would be like. Its all up from there.

Picture doing an IBT in weather like last saturday / sundays thats what i did and tbh id do it again and i would recommend it too. There are fierce amount of fair weather drivers who drop the bike at the hint of rain and theyve learnt nothing.

Burks_ie wrote: »

Honestly you are better of actually having insurance and then the full license. You will not see much change in costs by not having your own insurance for a year under the belt (ive done it with Liberty)

I did the IBT straight away and applied for the test immediately Waited the mandatory 6 months and did the test straight away and passed. All the while gathering up my no claims on my bike insurance policy. as indicated you are best to get an assessment done at time of IBT as they dramatically impact the premium.

My new quotes are coming up now with my no claims and my license under my belt are much better.

I would say dont wait. earlier you get the policy the cheaper it will be in the long run.

So have the theory test today, I took over 51 tests and passed all them, but still have 100 questions left, I hope I will be okay! I booked a slot in the NDLS, but going to chance my arm and walk in, what do people think? Things have change alot since I took these tests :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Good luck with the Theory. Don't over think it, it's mainly common sense. As for the NDLS, best bet is to go around 8.20am and queue. You'll be first or second of the walk ins when they open at 9 and should be out by 9.15. Any later , unless you have an appointment time, then forget it.

Good luck with the Theory. Don't over think it, it's mainly common sense. As for the NDLS, best bet is to go around 8.20am and queue. You'll be first or second of the walk ins when they open at 9 and should be out by 9.15. Any later , unless you have an appointment time, then forget it.

Sound, its on the way home so I might pop in for twenty or so mins, complete the application in there and if its gone past that time then I am going to leave it.

So went in got the theory test passed 40/40 went down the NDLS and was there ten mins and got my license processed. So had theory test/license all done within an hour !

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭fear_factory84

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I'd say the last few weeks would have been perfect to start out, cool enough and dry, not sure what the rest of november has in store.

I did my IBT during a July/August and the combination of the heat and me sweating bullets and leaving arse casseroles in me strides on every corner made it a pretty sweaty experience.

You can use summer gear.. Irish summer compared to riding in summer in my country (Italy) with 35°C it's like early spring....

You will rarely get into uncomfortable temperatures here!

Due to do IBT next week, nearly there now. Next stop after that will be getting the gear in then looking at bikes.

That's some wind outside, wouldn't go out in my car let alone a bike! Joke lol, I assume we don't have many days like that.

What's the biggest risk in this windy weather? Blowing off course, wind lifting the bike up, objects hitting you, other road users, maybe all off the above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Get a Harley, aint no wind going to blow that supertanker off the road :D

Due to do IBT next week, nearly there now. Next stop after that will be getting the gear in then looking at bikes.

That's some wind outside, wouldn't go out in my car let alone a bike! Joke lol, I assume we don't have many days like that.

What's the biggest risk in this windy weather? Blowing off course, wind lifting the bike up, objects hitting you, other road users, maybe all off the above?

Wind this strong is rare here.

Biggest risk all of the above.

Don't bother going out if you can . you just have to look at traffic watch Twitter the guards have various images of fallen trees. Car wouldn't save ya let alone a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Get a Harley, aint no wind going to blow that supertanker off the road :D

HD's are awful in the wet, the amount of tyre spin I had on my old one was the one of the main reasons for selling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

The bike being lift up happens? Never experienced that I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

D3V!L wrote: »
    HD's are awful in the wet, the amount of tyre spin I had on my old one was the one of the main reasons for selling it.
    Probably fitted with Dungslops :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement