Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Want to get a bike, few questions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Probably fitted with Dungslops :pac::pac::pac:

Nope they were "Michelin Scorcher" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Guys, anyone able to give advise on getting motorbiking gear, looking to get a helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and something for the leg.

Although at the moment just really want to order a helmet and gloves, I have ITB on Thursday and Friday, but ideally want to order before then and price things up.

Also, want to pick up a camera, been thinking about the Contour ROAM, is there much difference between the 2 and 3?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

What's the hurry?

You get gear supplied at IBT. Will give you a better idea of what type you want.
    Anyways I would just wait until the January sales and get gear then.

RST make good value jackets and pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pugzilla wrote: »
    What's the hurry?

You get gear supplied at IBT. Will give you a better idea of what type you want.

What he said! But i would go get a helmet and gloves tbh. As i hate wearing other peoples sweaty ****e on my face and hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Even just the lid will do you for IBT, it's the only thing you know you want to get properly fitted. Drop into your local bike shop, most of them will be able to sort you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Get as much protective gear as possible. I wear my motocross gear on the street because of its superior protection, feet, elbows, spine, chest, hands, head, they’re all protected

What's the hurry?

I'm not sure by what you mean? I'm not exactly in a hurry, but I assume the most basic things I will need are a helment and gloves. If I order these now. Also if I want to go look at a bike and decide I like it, I'll need a helmet and gloves to get it home/test it out. I don't see the harm in looking into these items now and researching them. As for waiting till Jan its a good idea, but I will need the bike for commuting to and from work very soon.

Will look into the RST stuff. Thanks.

TallGlass wrote: »
    I'm not sure by what you mean? I'm not exactly in a hurry, but I assume the most basic things I will need are a helment and gloves. If I order these now. Also if I want to go look at a bike and decide I like it, I'll need a helmet and gloves to get it home/test it out. I don't see the harm in looking into these items now and researching them. As for waiting till Jan its a good idea, but I will need the bike for commuting to and from work very soon.

Will look into the RST stuff. Thanks.

If you need stuff in a hurry, drop into the likes of bikeworld, I found them quite good for getting the right gear (as in, they ask you your budget and sort it rather than trying to gouge you).

RST is proper gear you can't go wrong with, BW will have a lot of what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Black Friday folks,lots of online stores doing good deals with 30-50% off items.
    A few bricks n mortar shops here in Dublin also doing good deals.
    Cash is king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Head out to cotters if you're getting fully kitted out, they're a bit of a pain to deal with in that it might take you a couple of hours but they'll look after you price wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Jackthelot

Recently I got through all these issues with the help of Joe Guinan in Clonmel of all places. Noel gave me all the information over the phone. He put me on a course which he ran over a Saturday and Sunday. €400
    Noel was superb. I had biked a little (illegally) in he past.
    CBT in Clonmel. They were great for me.
    Best of Luck!

Done the IBT with one of the guy's on here LookBehindYou, was excellent, lashed it out over two days, weather on day two wasn't great but he had no problems.

Live with the folks but although I can get a 600cc as I am unrestricted, ideally would want to get an fz6, found it fairly easy to ride/drive, the father hit the roof once I mentioned 600cc. So I will stick with the 125/250cc end for a few months then pick up something a little bigger closer to the test time.

I would be okay on a 650cc as LookBehindYou said no problems there, have to keep the folks happy, prove to them its all safe etc.. Besides not in a rush, so can use my time of on the 125/250cc to get solid on the foundations before getting a bigger bike, plus can save a few more quid for a newer bike.

So nearly there folks, I will pick up some gear next. Helmet, Gloves, Jacket Trousers Boots. Then get a bike. Will report back once I am at this next stages. You might even see a few photos !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jackthelot

Something worth noting lads...
    Find somebody with a valid VAT no. Go to fcmoto a huge German online retailer of all things motorcycle. Quote the VAT number. Great value, huge range, but don't be in too much of a hurry. They're a little slow on shipping. The VAT is knocked off because that's how Europe works - we a fellow state within Europe.
    In this weather I wouldn't look at the bike. But I'm a fair weather biker because I have a choice.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Done the IBT with one of the guy's on here LookBehindYou, was excellent, lashed it out over two days, weather on day two wasn't great but he had no problems.

Live with the folks but although I can get a 600cc as I am unrestricted, ideally would want to get an fz6, found it fairly easy to ride/drive, the father hit the roof once I mentioned 600cc. So I will stick with the 125/250cc end for a few months then pick up something a little bigger closer to the test time.

I would be okay on a 650cc as LookBehindYou said no problems there, have to keep the folks happy, prove to them its all safe etc.. Besides not in a rush, so can use my time of on the 125/250cc to get solid on the foundations before getting a bigger bike, plus can save a few more quid for a newer bike.

So nearly there folks, I will pick up some gear next. Helmet, Gloves, Jacket Trousers Boots. Then get a bike. Will report back once I am at this next stages. You might even see a few photos !

Fair play. Progress being made is never a bad thing and it all adds up to a safer, more educated rider.

I hear you about the parents thing but there are many that would say that a 125/ 250 would be less safe than a 600 (me included). IMO, one of the safer aspects of riding a bike is your ability to escape bad situations. Most 250's will leave you stuck there. My first bike was a Bandit 600 and I upgraded within months. An FZ6 and similar is basically a commuter.

Aye, a 125/250 is probably more dangerous, assuming your riding is ok. I personally think taking anything less than a 300 on the dual carriageway is actively dangerous (and forget about motorways). It's like taking out a reliant robin and saying it's safer just because the engine is smaller.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Fair play. Progress being made is never a bad thing and it all adds up to a safer, more educated rider.

I hear you about the parents thing but there are many that would say that a 125/ 250 would be less safe than a 600 (me included). IMO, one of the safer aspects of riding a bike is your ability to escape bad situations. Most 250's will leave you stuck there. My first bike was a Bandit 600 and I upgraded within months. An FZ6 and similar is basically a commuter.

Thanks, I agree with yourself regards the 125/250cc, same with some cars I have had or been in that have been 1/1.2 litre overtaking was a shore and could land you in some situations if you didn't judge the situation correctly! At the same time I can see his point, one funk up on my part could see a nasty bit of power come down that I might not be able to handle, in saying that. He's not a biker and apparently he came off a bike before many moons ago, so that might be more the reason why he is freaked out when he hears 600cc. I'll serve the time on the 125/250cc and move to 600cc in 2/3 months.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Aye, a 125/250 is probably more dangerous, assuming you're riding is ok. I personally think taking anything less than a 300 on the dual carriageway is actively dangerous (and forget about motorways). It's like taking out a reliant robin and saying it's safer just because the engine is smaller.

Not arguing, try explaining that to people like my Da who are uneducated on these matters. Riding wise I can't comment, only starting out. Car wise, driving over 7 years, I have had a Type R, Evolution and Mivec, never once picked up any points or court dates in any of the cars or caused an accident in them. In fact I think I was 19 when I got the Evolution, which didn't seem to freak him out then, which I can't understand, that car had some serious power in it around 240BHP, I would have done just as much damage in that as on any bike.

As I said previously, I always had an interest in bikes and now its a good investment for me to get biking for college and general commuting would be made easier for places the car would lack with congestion, tolls and parking. Power and speed are not really a concern, in fact that stuff would cost me more in insurance and fuel (but would be nice for situations where its required). It's just another hoop to jump over for me with this. Motorways, I can avoid for the moment, but some dual carriage ways I can't always!

You're 25, and unless your dad is paying for the bike, then he can't do anything about it.

Commuters like bandits and fazers have a mellow and generally linear power deivery anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My mate had a 125 and a 250 crashed both. Luckily worst damage was a broken leg.

The size of the bike is not what you should be concerned about driver education and handling is key. I went straight to a 650 I found the trainer 125 and 250 during ibt completely unmanageable to the point of being rubbish. Not for me at all.

listermint wrote: »
    My mate had a 125 and a 250 crashed both. Luckily worst damage was a broken leg.

The size of the bike is not what you should be concerned about driver education and handling is key. I went straight to a 650 I found the trainer 125 and 250 during ibt completely unmanageable to the point of being rubbish. Not for me at all.

I'd the exact same experience last year. Couldn't even ride a 125 (possibly due to me being a more well-upholstered gent) and the gz250 I had borrowed to learn on was ****ing terrifying.

• Advertisement

You're 25, and unless your dad is paying for the bike, then he can't do anything about it.

Commuters like bandits and fazers have a mellow and generally linear power deivery anyways.

I agree, I could just bring it home and that would be it. But if I want to continue living here, his house his rules and all that. Don't want to rock the boat or have any arguments about it. I'll get a small bike for a month or two then just bring a new bike home.

Ordered my gear tonight from motorbikeshop.ie, was planning on heading out to Cotters but I have alot on at the moment so went for online with 15% off.

Got the following;

Description Unit price Qty Amount
    Alpinestars Andes drystar jacket Light grey1 €178.82 EUR
    Alpinestars Andes drystar trousers Black1 €146.30 EUR
    Alpinestars Bionic Air Back protector black1 €73.13 EUR
    Alpinestars GP Plus black gloves1 €121.91 EUR
    Alpinestars Nucleon KR-CIR chest guard1 €39.02 EUR
    Alpinestars Ridge Waterproof boots1 €113.78 EUR
    Oxford Bright 'L' Vest€12.97 EUR 1 €12.97
    EUR Discount -102.90
    EUR Subtotal €583.03
    EUR Tax €134.10
    EUR Total €717.13
    EUR Payment €717.13 EUR
    From Amazon also ordered last night

Black military sas style 3 hole balaclava EUR 4,76*
    LS2 - Pinlock Anti-Fog Insert Lens EUR 30,96*
    LS2 FF370 Motorbike Flip Front Helmet White Size XL (61-62 Cm) EUR 110,59*
    Total : EUR 146.31
    Don't ask why I went with so much Alpinestars stuff, just reading reviews was more than happy to go with that stuff once reviewed against the other stuff. Sure look, I am sure I will build on it anyway. During IBT, used the LS2 helmet as listed, found it fine, got the balaclava cause the face was froze off me, maybe a little over the top but funk it only a few quid. Then got the Pinlock Anti-Fog insert cause mine was fogging over during the IBT and was fairly annoying again reading reviews on it and seems like a good addition.

For anyone thinking of getting biking my total running costs so far to get to this stage (taking into account I don't even have a bike yet) is running at;

1376,44 EUR

This includes, 35€ for license, 40€ for theory test and 400€ for IBT training along with 33€ for book and DVD on theory test.

Now mind you, I got a great price on IBT and the gear I bought was fairly pricey but you could and would get cheaper but I don't think its something you should go cheap on.

Will keep this updated :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

I'm not sure about 250's being dangerous I've a Hornet 250 and find it great as a beginner bike, the older 250's have a bit more power(40-55hp), I think it actually stops me putting myself into dangerous situations such as not overtaking where I may be taking a chance but it still has plenty of power of power in the lower gears and tops out at around 160km/h.

The bike has plenty of weight 150kg so feels a lot like a bigger bike It's also great for practicing slow maneuvers without being afraid of whiskey throttling and going 60:pac: the one thing i'd worry about getting FZ6 is that you're pretty much getting a detuned r6 with the fz6 still doing 60mph in around 3.2 seconds just in 1st gear.

If you buy something small used you'll probably get your money back in a few months if you have found you've outgrown the bike too.

Hornet 250 is a bit different considering it's a 4 cyinder. Most recent 250s are single or twin cylinder and make considerably less power.

So this came today !

22872175104_20017014ec_z.jpg
    23132510339_2602a31c08_z.jpg
    23132511009_16317e87e7_z.jpg

Still waiting on the other stuff from MotorCycleShop.ie ! Hopefully it comes tomorrow otherwise it will be next week.

Pin lock, anti mist visor should be delivered tomorrow put an end to the fog on the visor. Even just testing it on today it was fogging up.

So picked up a 92 Suzuki Bandit 250 on Saturday, seems in good condition. Just one problem, when taking off in first gear it can be very ropey, as in it starts getting ready juttery and sometimes even stalls. Had anyone got any ideas? Maybe spark plugs?

I do find the friction zone, start to move off and all is going well then, the revs just drop off and it starts dropping off power and then it might come back all off a sudden or sometimes it just cuts out.

I did think it might be the choke but it is automatic on this once pulled out it turns off itself then.

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I did think it might be the choke but it is automatic .......

it's probably not automatic - as in it's broken

gctest50 wrote: »
    it's probably not automatic - as in it's broken

Could be, never had the bike before. Looking at it, if you pull it out and hold it, the revs go up and once you release the revs go back down. Its driving fine and starting up fine otherwise, just first gear is a nightmare once it warms up.

Its like its not firing on some cylinders that's what it feels like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

So picked up a 92 Suzuki Bandit 250 on Saturday, seems in good condition. Just one problem, when taking off in first gear it can be very ropey, as in it starts getting ready juttery and sometimes even stalls. Had anyone got any ideas? Maybe spark plugs?

I do find the friction zone, start to move off and all is going well then, the revs just drop off and it starts dropping off power and then it might come back all off a sudden or sometimes it just cuts out.

I did think it might be the choke but it is automatic on this once pulled out it turns off itself then.

Anyone any ideas?

Is your gear worth more than your bike? :P:P:pac:

goodlad wrote: »
    Is your gear worth more than your bike? :P:P:pac:

:pac::pac::pac:

True, and the bike nearly as old as myself !

Just got this to keep the old lad happy, another month or two I will pump some money into a decent machine. It's fine apart from this first gear issue and annoying me cause I want to get out there on the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've never heard of an automatic choke working that way but I'm not an expert.

Honestly, unless you had prior knowledge that this is something wrong then we could be guessing. It's an older bike and probably nothing as refined and new as what you did your training on and maybe just a bit old and cantankerous. It could also be the plugs, valve clearances, coils, leads, carb problems, anything. I'd make friends with your local cost effective motorcycle workshop and take it from there. It may be something easily fixed or something you'll have to contend with until you replace the bike. Whatever bike you have (particularly older ones) you need total familiarity with your machine. Well wear.

Have a look here :)

Advertisement