Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Want to get a bike, few questions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

cantdecide wrote: »
    I've never heard of an automatic choke working that way but I'm not an expert.

Honestly, unless you had prior knowledge that this is something wrong then we could be guessing. It's an older bike and probably nothing as refined and new as what you did your training on and maybe just a bit old and cantankerous. It could also be the plugs, valve clearances, coils, leads, carb problems, anything. I'd make friends with your local cost effective motorcycle workshop and take it from there. It may be something easily fixed or something you'll have to contend with until you replace the bike. Whatever bike you have (particularly older ones) you need total familiarity with your machine. Well wear.

Have a look here :)

Cheers mate! I done an oil change and spark plug change on it today, also got some diptane to try and clean the lines. It seems to have made a slight difference. Maybe because its old and I am driving it to easy, I found if I give it a good bit of throttle and come easy off the clutch from the friction zone then shes off. But with this way, I have to be careful because sometimes it can rocket off.

From driving it, I am guessing it is getting flooded some how. I can live with the high revs, but its off putting I am trying to go out and learn and getting annoyed by this issue. I'll appreciate the newer bike once I get it !

Also another thing I noticed, is sometimes when dropping down the gears, the bike is cutting out, in fact its like its turning off completely and has no power at all!

Any decent mechanics over the North Side of the City?

The more I think about these problems with the bike the more it seems like it may be an electrical fault. I remember I had a car that done this previous. Turned out the negative terminal on the bat was loose.

Could it be maybe the stator is not supplying enoght power for all the demand placed on it when driving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Sounds like its an excuse to buy a new bike!

sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me... But I really don't know!

Remember to buy a bike over the Min kW for the test. I started on a fz6 and it was a great bike, really could not fault it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I rebuilt a 250 Bandit for the missus a few years ago. Ropey as f**k unless you get the carbs cleaned and balanced. Once done, they run smooth, they're a great little bike. And they go like stink for a little 4 stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Check the plug caps are all good, not leaking back to earth.
    Remove carbs and get them ultrasonically cleaned and then refit and balance.
    Check airfilter is clean and no rodents have set up shop in the airbox.

``

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Check the plug caps are all good, not leaking back to earth.
    Remove carbs and get them ultrasonically cleaned and then refit and balance.
    Check airfilter is clean and no rodents have set up shop in the airbox

Cheers mate, took it out for a spin to Howth just a longer journey than I have been doing to try and give it a good blast in one of the lower gears to try see if it could clear them, its picked up a little and seem better off first once I give it far bit of throttle and come of the clutch later. It's live able for the moment again, going to look at getting the carbs cleaned professionally, it will do no harm either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

TallGlass wrote: »

It's fine apart from this first gear issue and annoying me cause I want to get out there on the road!

The bandits are like that with 1st gear until they get warmed up
    How is 1st gear after a spin ?

mamax wrote: »
    The bandits are like that with 1st gear until they get warmed up
    How is 1st gear after a spin ?

Similar situation, actually moving off from cold can be generally fine.

I whipped the carbs off the bike this evening, bringing them out to D15 motorcycles tomorrow, said he can clean them down. Hopefully won't take long or cost to much (anyone got a price on it?)

Also another issue with bike, fairly iffy safety issue. The break light for the back sticks on lock when you use the foot pedal, so I disconnected it for when spinning around got a chance to look at it tonight and ordered a new switch for that, front break the light comes on but is a bit hit and miss you've to be gentle with it so again fairly useless and dangerous. Ordered to new switches for both and some decals for the bike as its missing them. Fitted a new set of indicators also as one of them was held on with tape!

I'll try get a few snaps up.

My gear arrived also, fairly happy with it, fits fine no issues. Got a lot of extras thrown into the box, thanks to James.

Got the carbs back today and fitted them on and its still running like a dog, seems worse than before.

I did notice one think, the fuel filter seems to be nearly empty and only a dribble coming into it, so I am taking maybe its not getting all the fuel it needs at once?

Think its out of my scope to be honest, so going to somehow get it over to D15 motors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Is it an aftermarket one? I had a gixxer in the past with aftermarket filters that cause fuel starvation. After removing them, the bike ran perfectly after running like a pig for ages.

Did you inspect the intake boots when they were removed?

Do you know that starting the bike from cold and touching the downpipes (with extreme care) to see if there are any cold will tell you if you have a cylinder not firing?

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Is it an aftermarket one? I had a gixxer in the past with aftermarket filters that cause fuel starvation. After removing them, the bike ran perfectly after running like a pig for ages.

Did you inspect the intake boots when they were removed?

Do you know that starting the bike from cold and touching the downpipes (with extreme care) to see if there are any cold will tell you if you have a cylinder not firing?

Yeah I took a look at intake boots on install, one of the rings is in the early stages of splitting, really lightly on the inside of the rubber, it wouldn't be leaking or anything.

I am not sure if its after market, it looks new and is fairly small, but its also at the same time looking fairly empty when the bike is running.

I'll try the down pipes, I'm half thinking something isn't firing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

gctest50 wrote: »

Cheers! Only thing, that doc says there is a fuel pump and I am fairly certain it ain't got one.

Well guys, just to update this I got the bike back yesterday from D15 Motorcycles, Mark and the guy he has working there done a great job, fixed up the throttle cable and clutch cable along with balancing the carbs. Gave it a good looking over also, along with some advise on giving it some more extra revs.

Seems to be running fine again, so good carb clean and balance seems to have sorted the issue out.

Have been spinning around the city, it's great. I love it ! There's been a few sticky situations where I can only imagine the guys in the car saying to themselves, what the funk is that guy at. But majority of the time, its great, just using the car experience and then getting used to the bike controls. The best is just flowing so freely, when the cars are all stuck.

So more practice at the traffic filtering along with using my mirrors and been more observant.

Are motorcylces allowed use cycle lanes? I mean, the lanes with the broken white lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If you wanted to use cycle lanes you should have bought a scooter :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Well guys, just to update this I got the bike back yesterday from D15 Motorcycles, Mark and the guy he has working there done a great job, fixed up the throttle cable and clutch cable along with balancing the carbs. Gave it a good looking over also, along with some advise on giving it some more extra revs.

Seems to be running fine again, so good carb clean and balance seems to have sorted the issue out.

Have been spinning around the city, it's great. I love it ! There's been a few sticky situations where I can only imagine the guys in the car saying to themselves, what the funk is that guy at. But majority of the time, its great, just using the car experience and then getting used to the bike controls. The best is just flowing so freely, when the cars are all stuck.

So more practice at the traffic filtering along with using my mirrors and been more observant.

Are motorcylces allowed use cycle lanes? I mean, the lanes with the broken white lines?

No. Nor bus lanes. Only difference is you might get done for going in a cycle lane, whereas nobody cares about bus lanes. I've pulled up beside multiple bike cops with no hassle, and even sailed right past a squad car outside heuston who was there specifically to do people for driving in bus lanes.

I personally think using bike lanes is a bit obnoxious, dunno why really. There's not a lot of room and people are expecting you less I suppose, plus you're more likely to block or get blocked in at the top of the traffic at lights.

Gerrowadat summed it up for me, from start to finish.

I drive a big bike and wear a white lid though, so they also possibly just don't want to hassle someone who could be another copper :-)

gerrowadat wrote: »
    No. Nor bus lanes. Only difference is you might get done for going in a cycle lane, whereas nobody cares about bus lanes. I've pulled up beside multiple bike cops with no hassle, and even sailed right past a squad car outside heuston who was there specifically to do people for driving in bus lanes.

I personally think using bike lanes is a bit obnoxious, dunno why really. There's not a lot of room and people are expecting you less I suppose, plus you're more likely to block or get blocked in at the top of the traffic at lights.

Yeah bus lanes I go into but I take if handy. Would not go up a bus only contra flow. In future will keep out of the cycle lanes, the one I was in was large. Some guy cycled by me in the lane as I was moving down tryna get back in.

Yeah bus lanes I go into but I take if handy. Would not go up a bus only contra flow. In future will keep out of the cycle lanes, the one I was in was large. Some guy cycled by me in the lane as I was moving down tryna get back in.

Yeah, I've found that cyclists tend to just ignore anything aside from themselves, they'll filter either side of you and stop in front of you in a cycle lane no bother, assuming nothing bigger than themselves is about.

• Advertisement

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Yeah, I've found that cyclists tend to just ignore anything aside from themselves, they'll filter either side of you and stop in front of you in a cycle lane no bother, assuming nothing bigger than themselves is about.

What's the general plan of action if the cars start moving and your moving along side them? Should I speed up and go in front or slip back in behind them? Been just testing the waters on this filtering stuff. Kinda getting the hang of it along with the dos and don't. Most of the time if its not worth it I just wait with the cars or if I can't see I won't move out or if I am unsure I just wait and see what another motorcyclist does.

Have a white lid also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

What's the general plan of action if the cars start moving and your moving along side them? Should I speed up and go in front or slip back in behind them? Been just testing the waters on this filtering stuff. Kinda getting the hang of it along with the dos and don't. Most of the time if its not worth it I just wait with the cars or if I can't see I won't move out or if I am unsure I just wait and see what another motorcyclist does.

Have a white lid also.

What would you think if you were the driver of the car?

Pass them if you're going to, stay visible if you aren't.

Instinct will kick in when you get used to it. :)

Korat wrote: »
    What would you think if you were the driver of the car?

Pass them if you're going to, stay visible if you aren't.

Instinct will kick in when you get used to it. :)

I don't really know sometime I do think who gave them a license then sometimes I think they must be thinking who gave me one!

Have a white lid also.

I tend not to filter all that much, although I ride a large enough bike physically so some of it is that.

If I'm filtering past traffic that's stopped and then goes, I'll indicate and merge into it - cars tend to be slow on the uptake when starting to go again and there's almost always a gap where you can match speed and merge in handy enough.

I tend to avoid filtering in traffic that's moving slowly, you get all sorts of craic like lads changing lanes without looking and drifting in and out reducing your space.

I'm pretty much always on the move when on the bike but there are also people who filter in ways I never would and there are those who don't seem to filter at all, i see both types every day. Like with every aspect of biking stay within your comfort zone and skill level but make sure you're improving and learning all the time too. Your filtering skills will improve and you'll learn to read the traffic and what to do in almost every scenario, in the meantime, take it easy and make sure you're always riding defensively and allert.

Guys my house was broken into and some of my motorbike gear was stolen.

If anyone is offered for sale or sees for sale he following could you give drop me a PM with details.

Alpine Stars
    alpinestars-andes-drystar-jacket-light-grey-4814-p[ekm]288x288[ekm].jpg

LS2 Flip Helmet
    ls2-ff325-strobe-white-4152-p[ekm]288x288[ekm].jpg

Both are in brand new condition, I will offer a reward leading to the successful recovery of these items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Guys my house was broken into and some of my motorbike gear was stolen.

If anyone is offered for sale or sees for sale he following could you give drop me a PM with details.

Both are in brand new condition, I will offer a reward leading to the successful recovery of these items.
    FFS TallGlass, sorry to hear about your loss, fucking thieving scum :mad:

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    FFS TallGlass, sorry to hear about your loss, fucking thieving scum :mad:

Yeah it's a pain in the bollíx, not sure but they might have robbed me gloves also. I'll be off the bike now for a while until I get the cash up to get the stuff again. Surprised they didn't try nick the bike it had the keys in it. Only thing that held them back I would say was it was in the garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    fucking thieving scum :mad:

you got that right

• Advertisement

Just checked there and I am missing gloves and a back protector also

€451.14 worth of gear stolen.

I'm perplexed about the back protector, unless you knew what it was you wouldn't have bothered with it.

What a bunch of horrible fúcks. Worst thing is I am still clueless as to how they got in.

Advertisement