Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord holding Security Deposit

Options
  • 30-10-2015 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi Guys,

I was living in an apartment building in Dublin 8. Rent was $1.150 per month, and I paid $1.150 as a security deposit when I entered the apartment.

My contract was for 12 months (started on March 26th), but I got a job offer and moved to the US on September 26th, so I stayed 6 months sharp at the place.

Before I left I spoke to the guy in charge for the property and he went to do the inspection and told me that he would refund my security deposit at a maximum of 4 days after I left, which would be September 30th.

Now he is stonewalling me and not giving me my money back. He said they had computer problems, and then he said my account in the system was showing I had more money then what I paid and he was fixing it, etc...

So far I have not received my money back and he went silence on the emails.

Is there anything I can do to get my money back while I'm in the US?

(I still have my Irish bank account open and active, so the money can be deposited fine, he doesn't have to transfer the money to the US.)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You can still lodge a complaint with the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Did you give adequate notice, and pay right up to the day you left?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

gmogames wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I was living in an apartment building in Dublin 8. Rent was $1.150 per month, and I paid $1.150 as a security deposit when I entered the apartment.

My contract was for 12 months (started on March 26th), but I got a job offer and moved to the US on September 26th, so I stayed 6 months sharp at the place.

Before I left I spoke to the guy in charge for the property and he went to do the inspection and told me that he would refund my security deposit at a maximum of 4 days after I left, which would be September 30th.

Now he is stonewalling me and not giving me my money back. He said they had computer problems, and then he said my account in the system was showing I had more money then what I paid and he was fixing it, etc...

So far I have not received my money back and he went silence on the emails.

Is there anything I can do to get my money back while I'm in the US?

(I still have my Irish bank account open and active, so the money can be deposited fine, he doesn't have to transfer the money to the US.)

Thanks!
    Because you broke your lease
    He or you on agreement should have found a replacement tenant to mitigate his loss. You are responsible for the rent till the new tenant moves in and also responsible for advertising costs, you could try your arm with the PRTB but in my opinion he us in the right.
    With regards the job in the states you should have asked for relocation expenses which covers costs such as penalties for braking leases, did you get such relocation expenses .

Advertisement