Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delivery Box.

• 30-10-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭

I see the Post Office have come up with the idea of large parcel boxes for deliveries that can be stuck to the side of your house,Delivery Box they're calling it,presumably to compete with Parcel Motel and grab a share of the rapidly increasing parcel business.
    Seems like a decent idea.Would you choose it over Parcel Motel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No comparison with parcel motel. Parcel motel is 7 miles from my home while the Delivery box would be right here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The scrotes in my neighbourhood would just love the idea of it...

A big stonking, rob me container on the side of the house, with a cornucopia of goodies inside...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is your delivery box ready to take a large load?

Call 1800-AN-POST for a good time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I read a while ago about tesco wanting you to do this so thy could home delivery to you
    I'd assume it would work on a code basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Tigger wrote: »
    I read a while ago about tesco wanting you to do this so thy could home delivery to you
    I'd assume it would work on a code basis

PO have a master key,you have your own key by the look of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No some scrotes will have it off the wall before christmas.

Parcel motel is still the go to option. Lazy thinking by an post and just a continuation of their failed model.

Id still expect to get those "we missed you notes" in the boxes tbh as in the past 2 weeks I have got 3 in the door while being at home waiting for the deliveries, they didnt ring or knock once cus the lazy fvcks couldnt be bothered actually doing their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Delivery box. Snack Box. Munch box. Spice bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

€70? They can shove it up their arses.

Sideways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I asked our postman about them and he kinda shook his head and we figured they might be more hassle in the long run. No comparison to Parcel Motel - these are just large postboxes, no particular advantage in terms of ordering to UK address which I think can be used for PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Anyone saying that Scumbags will just nick it, Why haven't they nicked all the Parcel motel boxes so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

An angle grinder would enjoy that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

afatbollix wrote: »
    Everyone saying that Scumbags will just nick it Why haven't they nicked all the Parcel motel boxes so?

The difference is that the liability is with PM if someone nicks their boxes or the contents. Plus, the PM boxes are covered by CCTV, in a well lit area and you'll always have people close by to act as a deterrent.

Having an easily accessed oversized box outside my house? No thanks. I'd rather use PM or collect my parcels at the post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭play it again

Ye must all live in terrible sh1t holes if you can't put up a steel box in a concealed place without the fear it would be swiped the second the postman puts something into it

Dunno,the effort involved in opening these things in public for probably little return would be hardly worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Might work for people not living in Dublin.

Seventy squids is roughly the cost of a post box anyway, that we have to put up if we want any post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭blade1

An angle grinder would enjoy that
    So, they'll go cutting at a box that there might be nothing inside, making a lot of noise and risk getting caught.
    Why not break in to someone's house or garage quietly instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

afatbollix wrote:
    Anyone saying that Scumbags will just nick it, Why haven't they nicked all the Parcel motel boxes so?

Guessing you are not familiar with parcel motel? PC boxes are part of a bigger unit, probably over a tonne in weight, and would only fit in a large truck, it at all. They are also centrally located, usually in petrol station forecourts. So not easily stolen..... If fact I'd guess it would be easier to steal an ATM...

Also as someone mentioned above PM still win outright with the Amazon UK delivery stuff. An post havent got a patch on them there

VinLieger wrote: »
    Also as someone mentioned above PM still win outright with the Amazon UK delivery stuff. An post havent got a patch on them there

We're talking apples and oranges. I can have a box outside my house or I can drive 15 miles to the nearest PM? Go figure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Guessing you are not familiar with parcel motel? PC boxes are part of a bigger unit, probably over a tonne in weight, and would only fit in a large truck, it at all. They are also centrally located, usually in petrol station forecourts. So not easily stolen..... If fact I'd guess it would be easier to steal an ATM...

But how many cook books is the theif going to find in his hope of finding an ipad?.Will it be worth the hassle.

We're talking apples and oranges. I can have a box outside my house or I can drive 15 miles to the nearest PM? Go figure :)

Yeah you can pay ridiculous postal charges for things from amazon uk going through an post or you can get free delivery to PM's depot in antrim and then they deliver it to your nearest location, id pick a 15 minute drive over exorbitant delivery fees any day

Yeah you can pay ridiculous postal charges for things from amazon uk going through an post or you can get free delivery to PM's depot in antrim and then they deliver it to your nearest location, id pick a 15 minute drive over exorbitant delivery fees any day

Well orders over £25 qualify for free delivery.

I never pay delivery charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

VinLieger wrote:

An post are in the process of launching a parcel motel type option.
    They will give you a UK address to use and parcel will be delivered to your local post office for collection.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We have an American style mailbox on the wall in our driveway to which all our post is delivered. Never been touched so far

gerard2210 wrote: »
    They will give you a UK address to use and parcel will be delivered to your local post office for collection.

Should have been in place a long time ago, the only reason they are implementing it is because PM did it first, if there was no PM to compete with they wouldnt bother

Well orders over £25 qualify for free delivery.

I never pay delivery charges.

To the Republic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

My parents live way down deep in the swamplands of flat land Ireland and the postie knows to stick the big parcels behind the house at the backdoor. They have never so much as lost a postcard, the Da has bought industrial hedge trimmers from ebay and no problem. Now I live in the city and I am now on my 3rd Christmas front door wreath (In 6 weeks I replaced a Christmas wreath 3 times) and they weren't even that nice !!

To the Republic?

Yep

Not without its hiccups as this thread illustrates

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057441567

• Advertisement

Yep

Not without its hiccups as this thread illustrates

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057441567

It depends on who you buy from i think, if its fulfilled by amazon the this might be the case but many vendors on amazon ony have free delivery to the UK and charge insane prices for ireland

It depends on who you buy from i think, if its fulfilled by amazon the this might be the case but many vendors on amazon ony have free delivery to the UK and charge insane prices for ireland

Why do they do this.It doesn't cost twenty Euros to post something the size of a stapler to Ireland.Surely it's better to get the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

I'll be sticking with Parcel Motel.

Fair comment

I bought something from a seller and he charged me €22 to deliver it. Oh well suck it up, needed the stuff anyway until I find out the cnut is in Dublin.

Argues back and forth and he keeps telling me about Ireland being a different country. I just got him to restate his ridiculous position a number of different ways, then kicked it up to Amazon who couldn't be assed and just refunded all the postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

To the Republic?

most fulfilled by amazon and amazon orders over €25 are delivered free.

other deliveries are usually only charged at international tracked parcel rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Delivery box, Snack Box, Munch box, Spice bag, Large fries, Tin of coke, Quater-pounder, Cheese burger, Milkshake,
    Onion Rings, Curry Sauce, Sausage roll, .Chicken box, Snack Box, No pox, Chicken pox, Hurry hurry, Curry Curry, Bleedin Hot, Bleedin Hot, Wrap it up, Wrap it up, We want it hot, want it hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

gerard2210 wrote: »

So the national postal service prefers to help people in Ireland to pretend that they're in a different country, instead of negotiating better delivery rates. It seems like a bizarre approach for someone not used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Delivery box, Snack Box, Munch box, Spice bag, Large fries, Tin of coke, Quater-pounder, Cheese burger, Milkshake,
    Onion Rings, Curry Sauce, Sausage roll, .Chicken box, Snack Box, No pox, Chicken pox, Hurry hurry, Curry Curry, Bleedin Hot, Bleedin Hot, Wrap it up, Wrap it up, We want it hot, want it hot.

Larger, larger, larger, larger, larger! Larger, larger, larger, larger, more chips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

kylith wrote: »
    Larger, larger, larger, larger, larger! Larger, larger, larger, larger, more chips!

arrr.

PM make the owners any money? I was under the impression it was a hard field to get a return on.

Not saying they're losing their holes, but erm, are they not losing their holes on the venture?

kneemos wrote: »
    Why do they do this.It doesn't cost twenty Euros to post something the size of a stapler to Ireland.Surely it's better to get the sale.

Ireland is market of 6 million the UK is 64 million, they dont care about us which is understandable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What's being offered by an Post is a completely different thing to Parcel Motel. PM was primarily set up to give people a cheaper wY of buying products from the UK without having to pay the sometimes extortionate postage costs charged by some sellers to send to Ireland.

An post are offering people a box that they can leave larger items that won't fit through their letterbox, in. They're not offering a cheaper method of buying things from the UK, it's simply to stop people having to go to the PO to collect parcels that couldn't be delivered as there was no one home to accept them.

I get stuff delivered by An Post and through parcel motel. One will never replace the other as they're two completely different services.

• Advertisement

What's being offered by an Post is a completely different thing to Parcel Motel. PM was primarily set up to give people a cheaper wY of buying products from the UK without having to pay the sometimes extortionate postage costs charged by some sellers to send to Ireland.

An post are offering people a box that they can leave larger items that won't fit through their letterbox, in. They're not offering a cheaper method of buying things from the UK, it's simply to stop people having to go to the PO to collect parcels that couldn't be delivered as there was no one home to accept them.

I get stuff delivered by An Post and through parcel motel. One will never replace the other as they're two completely different services.

Some people might choose a Delivery Box if they aren't near a PM,or just for shear convenience.
    A PM may also be used out of necessity if you work 9-5..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Anpost are currently launching the new post box for parcels service. They will soon be launching a service where Anpost will provide the customer with an address in the UK. The parcel will then be brought to your local post office for a small fee.

Ill stay loyal to PM as they were the ones who provided the service first and its something an post should have been providing if not for their sheer laziness and without PM forcing them to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ill stay loyal to PM as they were the ones who provided the service first and its something an post should have been providing if not for their sheer laziness and without PM forcing them to do so

Is everyone that doesnt think of an idea first just lazy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I would love one of these. Sadly I live in an apartment so have nowhere to put the box. Guess I'll stick to PM, rather spend the 4 euro from the start instead of waiting for the inevitable we "tried" to deliver message.

Is everyone that doesnt think of an idea first just lazy?

Nice straw man, no just an post, inefficient joke of an organisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Rural Ireland, my postie leave any parcels in the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nib wrote: »
    €70? They can shove it up their arses.
    There are plenty of others available in varying sizes, I was posting about them a few years back and I expect they have been around a very long time.

PM is also taking advantage of the fact royal mail charge the same for postage to NI as mainland UK, most couriers do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

These delivery boxes are very small for parcels. remember that any parcels delivered that won't fit must be collected from the depot.

370mm x 250mm x 165mm are the internal dimensions.

It will just about take 3 reams of A4 paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Senna wrote: »
    Rural Ireland, my postie leave any parcels in the shed.

My regular postie leaves my parcels in a hiding place we agreed on together but the guys in the van who deliver the big parcels. I love the idea of this service but for €70 I have no interest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement