Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delivery Box.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

foggy_lad wrote: »
    These delivery boxes are very small for parcels. remember that any parcels delivered that won't fit must be collected from the depot.

370mm x 250mm x 165mm are the internal dimensions.

It will just about take 3 reams of A4 paper

There's a limit to what people would be comfortable with stuck to their wall I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

I got a letter from An Post recently about purchasing one of these Delivery Boxes. The dimensions seem bigger then what previous posters had stated ( now 200x476x300mm). The biggest issue that I would have is that there doesn't appear to be a little window as some postboxes have, hence requiring checking every day. Has anyone got one and what do you think of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I got a letter from An Post recently about purchasing one of these Delivery Boxes. The dimensions seem bigger then what previous posters had stated ( now 200x476x300mm). The biggest issue that I would have is that there doesn't appear to be a little window as some postboxes have, hence requiring checking every day. Has anyone got one and what do you think of them?

Those are the External dimensions of the box.

The maximum Internal dimensions are 370mm x 250mm x 165mm, they will hold a box the same size as three reams of normal A4 paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

When something is left in the box, the postman scans the box and you get a text letting you know so no need to check the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Good idea. Probably still wouldn't use it though.

We have a Parcel Motel thingy at work. I only really use it for deliveries from the UK anyway that can't be shipped to an Irish address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Whatever happened to leaving it with the neighbours? Granted if you're from the country your next door neighbour lives 25 minutes away, but in that case surely the courier can leave it under some nearby hay or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wyldwyll

Purchased the DeliveryBox last Winter to go outside our new home (airtight house no letterbox) took us a while to get around to putting it up. We bolted it to a steel post set in concrete beside and outside our front gate (in case we can ever afford gates).
    It looks good....pretty tasteful etc
    Postie used it for the first time today. We're delighted because we are...
    - 13km from nearest an post parcel collection point, now its 30 ft away
    - 2km from nearest postbox, now its 30 ft away
    - Got an email today to say i got mail (an post will only notify one email address but i set up a rule in outlook, google it, and the wife gets an email notification automatically now too).
    - nowhere for unnecessary/non an post mail to be put as flyers cant be put into it etc.

Ok so it could be tampered with, but a bit of a job and frankly Why?!

So. Day 1. All good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

People will come up to your house, and pry open the door on the box to maybe get a small parcel inside, but won't force your front door with the same equipment to get access to all your money and stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

im a postie,i got one because i needed a decent postbox,and i order a lot of stuff regularly from china and the uk,smallish stuff usually,i work in city but house is rural,makes my own posties life easier as well as mine, i told him not to even bother scanning the code,just use as a regular postbox,albeit a much more secure one. got mine for 50 with a staff discount,but its worth the 70 imo,for the box and the peace of mind. its more for packets not parcels.

you could fit a sky box in it with some space for a few other bits .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Parcel Wizard is much better than Parcel Motel. You get the UK address just like PM but Parcel Wizard deliver to your home. You can change your delivery slot to suit yourself.

I don't think the An Post thing gives you a virtual address so it's basically just a larger letterbox. Not big enough for a lot of things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

i have one of these a while, very very handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

I don't think the An Post thing gives you a virtual address so it's basically just a larger letterbox. Not big enough for a lot of things.

The delivery box mentioned here is a post box that can take packets/small parcels. Address pal is an posts virtual address with the address being in the UK as opposed to N.I as used by parcel motel/wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm happy with parcel motel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Senna wrote: »
    Rural Ireland, my postie leave any parcels in the shed.

Same here, better still I always have my car unlocked and sometimes they leave parcels in there as I cycle to work. I love living in the country

Same here, better still I always have my car unlocked and sometimes they leave parcels in there as I cycle to work. I love living in the country

Nice to know!!
    I just need to figure out where you live now!!!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

People will come up to your house, and pry open the door on the box to maybe get a small parcel inside, but won't force your front door with the same equipment to get access to all your money and stuff?
    Presumably its just a thin mental box. A narrow steel bar and a bit of welly and the door will pop open or bend back. 5 seconds, stuff gone.

Unlikely enough though unless they're following the postie around in broad daylight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I always just tell your man from DHL or Fastways to lash it in the shed, which is unlocked 24/7 because I live in a posh estate where I'm the biggest knacker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What's being offered by an Post is a completely different thing to Parcel Mote.
    A recap , for parcels from the UK the options include

Parcel Motel you go to the Box. www.nightline.ie

Parcel Connect is where you pick up stuff at a local centra or other shop www.fastway.ie

Parcel Wizard
    is where they drop it to whichever address you specify https://dpd.ie

Address Pal
    is where you pick it up at the post office www.anpost.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote: »
    Presumably its just a thin mental box. A narrow steel bar and a bit of welly and the door will pop open or bend back. 5 seconds, stuff gone.

Unlikely enough though unless they're following the postie around in broad daylight.
    TBH I'd be more worried about the keys.

It's not like every postie will have carry unique labelled keys for each individual box on their route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Patww79 wrote: »

It's a bit of a drive from where I live to the nearest locker. There's great choice around now alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

seamus wrote: »

It's quite a heavy duty box actually, with a double bar latch. It's bloody heavy too, probably 8kg or more with thick steel walls. Used ours over 50 times now i'd say, great yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Would find it a waste of time my self. An post depot and local parcel motel both only about 10 minutes away. Thinking back on online purchases, about 3/4s of them would not have even fitted in An Posts Delivery Box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Pim Pictus

Mine would be broken into as soon as the postman left. Parcel Motel is less than a 2 minute walk away so it's dead handy. When I get out of this kip and get down the country I can see it being handy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

This box is well worth having. 60 euro approx. No more Postie banging on your door or having to go to depot. Comes with good fixings, clear instructions. Another plus is being able to post letters once you put on a stamp. Dont know why they are not more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

Pim Pictus wrote: »
    Mine would be broken into as soon as the postman left. Parcel Motel is less than a 2 minute walk away so it's dead handy. When I get out of this kip and get down the country I can see it being handy though.

This made me laugh, I know what living in a hellhole was like. Good luck with escape...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For 60 blips though, it's only worth it if it suits you. 90% of stuff I get delivered to me in work.

Have to go to the post office to collect something maybe once every two year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 thehamok

An update on these An Post Delivery Boxes.
    I'm returning mine and getting a refund.
    False and misleading advertising re these boxes.
    No all Postmen have keys.
    Parcels Van came the other day and knocked on my door with a small package. I asked the Postman do you not have a key and his reply was 'no we deliver parcels'.
    My own Postman whined when I got the box - his reaction was that its going to cause him hassle to have to make sure to bring a key with him and its going to slow him up.

As a postie these boxes are great, a a delivery box owner these boxes are great,don't suit everyone,not for big items above shoebox size, a postie on a bike won't have parcels ..even if small ..if sent via parcel post it goes with parcels in van.. surprised he had no key.

thehamok wrote: »
    My own Postman whined when I got the box - his reaction was that its going to cause him hassle to have to make sure to bring a key with him and its going to slow him up.

If he did,he needs a kick up the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thehamok

As a postie these boxes are great, a a delivery box owner these boxes are great,don't suit everyone,not for big items above shoebox size, a postie on a bike won't have parcels ..even if small ..if sent via parcel post it goes with parcels in van.. surprised he had no key.

I was officially told not all postmen are supplied with keys. Defeats the whole idea hence false advertising.

I was officially told not all postmen are supplied with keys. Defeats the whole idea hence false advertising.

The key goes to whoever is on the round.
    One key that the postman has will do all the boxes on the round.
    It's possible the guy on parcels won't have one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

We got one recently . Haven't got round to registering it yet. But we're thinking it'll be handy the odd time we're away. Will report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Surely a metal tool box with a padlock will work & you can get big ones.
    Just leave the lock open & the postie can put the item in & click the lock closed.

Discodog wrote: »
    Surely a metal tool box with a padlock will work & you can get big ones.
    Just leave the lock open & the postie can put the item in & click the lock closed.

Almost the same except the scans for tracked items (non registered) will still need a signature.. won't if it's a delivery box.

Has it's pros n cons

Not all routes have a delivery box so in a sense that's true.

• Advertisement

Not all routes have a delivery box so in a sense that's true.

The poster you are replying to has so of course his postman should have had a key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sounds like the DHL Parcel boxes that we can get here in Germany. You can get them in different sizes, colours and ground or wall mountings starting from €100 up to around €500. All nice in theory, but UPS, FedEx, Hermes, etc don't have access to it. So kind of pointless when everyone can't access it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    The scrotes in my neighbourhood would just love the idea of it...

A big stonking, rob me container on the side of the house, with a cornucopia of goodies inside...

Put cyanide flavoured smarties in it, the scrote population will dwindle rapidly.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

nullzero wrote: »
    Put cyanide flavoured smarties in it, the scrote population will dwindle rapidly.

Shouldn't the cyanide smarties taste like regualar smarties with cyanide?

What does cyanide taste of anyway? Asking for a friend.

blade1 wrote: »
    The poster you are replying to has so of course his postman should have had a key

Yes but he was quoting the parcel driver .. "not all postmen have a key" ..

Yes but he was quoting the parcel driver .. "not all postmen have a key" ..

This is why I posted what I did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

There's plenty of parcel drop boxes available online with secure openings. Depending on what you want they start at about €150 up to €500 for a professional one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

verycool wrote: »

I would image it tastes like imminent death.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think it tastwsike almonds.

Let me try it and seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

bitter almond apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

We've had one for maybe 8 months or so. It's great, all anpost post goes into it, and I've only had the postman knock on the door when the box was too big to fit. It would take some effort to bash it off the wall as it is is well secured. Any postman not carrying a key or complaining about it slowing them down needs to talk to their boss, not the customer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement