Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

office block in the IFSC

Options
  • 30-10-2015 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

why was an entire office block demolished in the IFSC?

Was it poorly built or is there another reason to this? Quite odd I thought that this was done

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Its odd alright. There are a lot of building being demolished/rebuilt in Dublin but that one is only about 20 years old. Unusual alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Corner of Commons St & Mayor St I presume.

It's being replaced by a larger more modern office block.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=126295831&postcount=1681

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Corner of Commons St & Mayor St I presume.

It's being replaced by a larger more modern office block.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=126295831&postcount=1681

just after being in the feedback forum, reading complaints about the new 'beta' site design, then i click that link^, aaah, vBulletin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

cgcsb wrote: »
    Its odd alright. There are a lot of building being demolished/rebuilt in Dublin but that one is only about 20 years old. Unusual alright.

Not really. They are pretty low quality in the sense they aren't what company's want to rent. Everyone only wants grade A office blocks. There is a massive premium letting it grade A versus more dated office blocks

All company's want energy efficient buildings with mod cons eg good internet, AC. Old office blocks don't have that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

IFSC house was completely renovated on the inside too when AIB moved out. One of the companies that moved in was only across the road at Georges Dock. It would definitely seem like while these buildings aren't that old that they aren't great in terms of premium office space.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

There is going to be a lot of new high quality office building supply coming on stream within the next 24 months in the north docklands in the area between Spencer Dock and the Point Village.

The older office buildings in the IFSC area are between 20 -25 years old and will need upgrading and refurbishment if there are going to compete with the new office supply in terms of quality and rental attractiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You'd be surprised at all the relatively recent (ie 20 year old ) buildings that are now being retrofitted to meet 2015 standards demanded by multinationals.

Guild House/Commerzbank only built in 2000 is being done up. The Georges Dock/NCB building opposite the demolished building is another example. La Touche House (original green glass buildings at front of IFSC) are also been modernized.

The shiny glass images of the new building present a far more attractive building to the boring red brick office that was demolished.

Commerzbank house is a scar on the face of Dublin and should never have left the drawing board in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

cgcsb wrote: »
    Commerzbank house is a scar on the face of Dublin and should never have left the drawing board in my opinion.

Seriously?? While it's not the most stunning building ever, there are many less attractive buildings out there. (hardly a scar). I actually like it's sleek white modern exterior.

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/article30454412.ece/ALTERNATES/h342/2014-07-24_bus_1916027_I1.JPG

• Advertisement

It looks like yankee doodle suburban office park tat. There are worse buildings, but few as modern

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

agree it is typical standard american building in appearance but its in ireland and I quite like too tbf

Advertisement