Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions about worming tablets for cats.

• 30-10-2015 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What worming tablets should I get a cat?

He seems to be a stray but is staying around our house most of the time. He is a bit wild but also friendly.

How often must I give him these worm tablets? Every 3 months? Do I only need to treat for roundworms and tapeworms.

Is there a combo tablet that does everything?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Go to your nearest vet and ask them for them. Avoid the ones sold in shops, the efficacy of them is questionable at best dangerous at worst. Most tablets do both roundworms and tapeworms. You can get a spot on that does fleas, mites, ticks and roundworms but your missing out on tapeworms which is what hunting adults are most likely to get. If he's an outdoor cat that hunts it's no harm to worm every 3/4 months. If you can get close to him can you check him for ear mites and fleas too.

Fair play to you for caring about the strays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Hi OP, I had a stray that was wandering around my house around this time last year. Said stray is now a full time lodger and is plonked on the couch having a post breakfast snooze as we speak, but that's another story lol ;)

Anyway, as the other poster said it might be a good idea to take him/her to the vet and see, but what I use is Broadline. It covers fleas, ticks, lice, roundworm, hookworm and tapeworms, especially important in an outdoor cat. I buy it from the vet. It's around a tenner and lasts for about 3 months. This is it here, just to show you what it is.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-prescription-only-broadline-c-21_2047

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi OP, I had a stray that was wandering around my house around this time last year. Said stray is now a full time lodger and is plonked on the couch having a post breakfast snooze as we speak, but that's another story lol ;)

Anyway, as the other poster said it might be a good idea to take him/her to the vet and see, but what I use is Broadline. It covers fleas, ticks, lice, roundworm, hookworm and tapeworms, especially important in an outdoor cat. I buy it from the vet. It's around a tenner and lasts for about 3 months. This is it here, just to show you what it is.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-prescription-only-broadline-c-21_2047

Hi RhubarbCrumble.

Thank for the info.

From the site: "Topical application to the base of the neck once a month."
    Perfect! smile.png

I have a feeling this cat will also be in my living room in time. :P
    What did you call your kitty?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Go to your nearest vet and ask them for them. Avoid the ones sold in shops, the efficacy of them is questionable at best dangerous at worst. Most tablets do both roundworms and tapeworms. You can get a spot on that does fleas, mites, ticks and roundworms but your missing out on tapeworms which is what hunting adults are most likely to get. If he's an outdoor cat that hunts it's no harm to worm every 3/4 months. If you can get close to him can you check him for ear mites and fleas too.

Fair play to you for caring about the strays!

Hi Zapperzy.

Cheers.

I could not ignore a hungry cat. At the moment, he stays in the garden shed to keep dry and warm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭me0w

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

What worming tablets should I get a cat?

He seems to be a stray but is staying around our house most of the time. He is a bit wild but also friendly.

How often must I give him these worm tablets? Every 3 months? Do I only need to treat for roundworms and tapeworms.

Is there a combo tablet that does everything?

Thanks.

Milbemax is the best, it is a bit pricey but very effective. It's only available at the vet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Milbemax, every three months. :) It's the most broad-spectrum wormer and very palatable. A tablet is about six euro and only available from your vet.

Cheers guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Hi RhubarbCrumble.

Thank for the info.

From the site: "Topical application to the base of the neck once a month."
    Perfect! smile.png

I have a feeling this cat will also be in my living room in time. :P
    What did you call your kitty?

You'll need to part the fur at the base of the neck and get it right onto the skin, otherwise it won't work, and if it's possible at all, try and keep him from getting wet for a few hours afterwards :)

My 'girl' is called, um, Charlie! Initially we thought she was a boy and the name kind of stuck. Suppose we can always say it's short for Charlotte :D

You'll need to part the fur at the base of the neck and get it right onto the skin, otherwise it won't work, and if it's possible at all, try and keep him from getting wet for a few hours afterwards :)

My 'girl' is called, um, Charlie! Initially we thought she was a boy and the name kind of stuck. Suppose we can always say it's short for Charlotte :D

Cheers for the tips. Charlie can be both a boy or girl name. Maybe just change the spelling? ^_^

What's the best worm tablet that can be ground to a powder or is very small and can be mixed into something like a bit of tuna?

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    Milbemax, every three months. :) It's the most broad-spectrum wormer and very palatable. A tablet is about six euro and only available from your vet.

Hello again boomerang. Can it be ground up into powder or broken into small pieces for easier eating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Hello again boomerang. Can it be ground up into powder or broken into small pieces for easier eating?

It's a tiny tablet, I just wrap it in a sliver of ham and they eat it without any trauma :D

In the end I went with the Milbemax tablet. Broke it in 2 bits and mixed it in with a little tuna - he ate it fine (like boomerang said - very palatable). Job done. (:

BTW -- how long do dewormer tablets take to work?

Advertisement