Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup Final 2015 Cork City v Dundalk 8th November k.o. 3.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Rebel Radio found out today that we'll be doing live commentary from the game, so we celebrated by making this video! (Dunno how to embed vids not from youtube so here's the link!)

http://dai.ly/x3cd26o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think the poster above has a genuine point about the Carlisle grounds on a wet night. It's half empty, it looks bad, it looks amateurish.

We have to remember it's not league of Ireland fans that are the issue or the target market. All of us on the thread would watch that game anyway and hopefully enjoy it. It's the floating, English football fan that we have to target. They will look at that game and sneer and it will only reinforce their sad opinion that there is no genuine professional football in Ireland.

Rte need to pick the games at the best grounds, which will have the biggest crowds and atmosphere and will look like a proper professional match on tv to these people. Let the quality of football on the pitch take care of itself because it's pot luck on any given night.

I don't think showing UCD or bray at home in empty grounds gives the proper image. And like it or not you are selling an image and a brand when it comes to tv. It's the sad reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Derry fans want a minutes applause in the 18th minute for Mark Farren. Has he died? I never heard that if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

gimmick wrote: »
    Derry fans want a minutes applause in the 18th minute for Mark Farren. Has he died? I never heard that if true.

No, he is still receiving treatment and doing well from what I heard.

Personally, I'll be to engrossed in the game to be watching a clock. I'm not a fan of these contrived events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

If it was Derry in the final, then ya, lets have a moments applause, but its a no from me otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Where'd you hear that?

Friend of mine said it to me.

Agreed shouldn't be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

How do you guarantee "good football" for the TV game though? I mean you could stick Dundalk Cork on, or whatever, probably the two best footballing teams in the league, and get a turgid 0-0 on the night. Usually when "there's something at stake" neither team wants to lose, so risk taking is minimised. We've all seen the games in the EPL between two supposed powerhouses of the game end up as dull dishwater draws, it happens here too.

Also, to single out the Carlisle for looking bad on a wet night is ridiculous, there isn't a ground, or more importantly, a camera angle in any ground in the league that could possibly make a tangible difference to how grounds look on wet nights.

There is also this snobbish undertone to your whole post where you seem to be suggesting that only the best teams should be on TV, at the same time calling for the teams to work together to become more attractive for sponsors - well do you think a team like Bray would attract better sponsors by not being on TV? Totally illogical.
    So you've focused in on one of my points and ignored all the others? Of course there's no way to guarantee good football but as part of my earlier points of good crowds, facilities and important games it's certainly desirable.

I wasn't trying to be snobbish, I was being realistic. It's insanity to put games on from substandard ground when there is a selection of good grounds in the league.
    As I said TV should be used to advertise the league.

Every club in the league including the top sides don't want live TV games. Shams and Dundalk have been on to RTE already asking them not to show their games. That's just wrong and shows the complete headless chicken approach which is been taken to something which should be an opportunity to show case the very best the league has to offer.

If my plan were to work we may well have a package of 10 games of value with the TV money being distributed, benefiting the whole league. The current situation is worth E0 to everyone and has minimal to no promotional value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So you've focused in on one of my points and ignored all the others? Of course there's no way to guarantee good football but as part of my earlier points of good crowds, facilities and important games it's certainly desirable.

Facilities wise, how are you supposed to promote that on live TV? They don't have a camera following people around the stand as they buy a bag of chips or go for a piss.

Dundalk and Limerick, for away fans anyway, have absolutely dire facilities. Uncovered section, very few seats and a few dodgy portable toilets. It's like something from the 70's.

Most other places are grand but these two are the worst from my own personal experiences.
    I wasn't trying to be snobbish, I was being realistic. It's insanity to put games on from substandard ground when there is a selection of good grounds in the league.
    As I said TV should be used to advertise the league.

You wouldn't be advertising the league as a whole. You'd only be advertising a couple of teams and alienating the rest.
    Every club in the league including the top sides don't want live TV games. Shams and Dundalk have been on to RTE already asking them not to show their games. That's just wrong and shows the complete headless chicken approach which is been taken to something which should be an opportunity to show case the very best the league has to offer.

Come on now, don't get ahead of yourself pal. Shams the best our league has to offer?? ;)

With regards RTE, they are right to come under fire when they show games. Whenever they show Bohs on TV, it's always damaging to crowds because more often than not, they insist on showing games at 7:05pm instead of 7:45pm giving actual supporters less of a chance to make the kick off especially if they have to travel a distance from work.

Whatever about the highlights package, they either need to scrap it and allow clubs to do their own highlights package to be made available on the night or have it on at a reasonable hour on a Saturday evening.

By the time Monday comes around I've forgotten about the game.

But, this is more of a topic for the 'how to fix our league' thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Apparently, we're up to 9,000 tickets sold and Dundalk are at 13,000. A few thousand FAI ST holders and you'd imagine there'd be a big crowd buying on the day. If those two figures are true, this looks like it might break 30,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Apparently, we're up to 9,000 tickets sold and Dundalk are at 13,000. A few thousand FAI ST holders and you'd imagine there'd be a big crowd buying on the day. If those two figures are true, this looks like it might break 30,000.

I seriously doubt Dundalk are at 13k would say we are at 9k max so far with day trippers/premium level/season ticket holders bringing it to the 10k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Which fans are at which end?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Facilities wise, how are you supposed to promote that on live TV? They don't have a camera following people around the stand as they buy a bag of chips or go for a piss.

Dundalk and Limerick, for away fans anyway, have absolutely dire facilities. Uncovered section, very few seats and a few dodgy portable toilets. It's like something from the 70's.

Most other places are grand but these two are the worst from my own personal experiences.

Of course you can't do that but you can show off good modern stands and good pitches. People aren't blind they can see oriel isn't up to scratch while when they see EDP, Showgrounds or Tallaght they think that looks nice.
    You wouldn't be advertising the league as a whole. You'd only be advertising a couple of teams and alienating the rest.

It's all about creating a brand and an image. There are many dilapidated GAA grounds around the country but they have made an art out of showcasing their best ones.

As it stands clubs make nothing from TV deals. Their gate is also hit. There's a limited argument that the bigger clubs benefit in sponsorship deals from having televised games. But it's debateable when you take into account the loss in revenue from having it on TV (Shams have said they lose 10k everytime they are on TV)
    Come on now, don't get ahead of yourself pal. Shams the best our league has to offer?? ;)/quote]
    Of course not the Showgies has a better atmosphere and is a much nicer and friendlier ground.
    With regards RTE, they are right to come under fire when they show games. Whenever they show Bohs on TV, it's always damaging to crowds because more often than not, they insist on showing games at 7:05pm instead of 7:45pm giving actual supporters less of a chance to make the kick off especially if they have to travel a distance from work.
    Whatever about the highlights package, they either need to scrap it and allow clubs to do their own highlights package to be made available on the night or have it on at a reasonable hour on a Saturday evening.

By the time Monday comes around I've forgotten about the game.

But, this is more of a topic for the 'how to fix our league' thread.

That's the cost of having games on TV. I'm sure real Liverpool fans living in Merseyside are far from delighted about their games being on at 12:45 in order to suit the Asian market. Of course TV slots could be better you won't find any argument from me there but the league needs to find a way to make TV work for it, at the moment it is failing miserably. Particularly If you contrast it with other leagues, for example the tippeligaen in Norway has a 100 million euro TV deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

monkey9 wrote: »
    Which fans are at which end?

Cork have the big end, Dundalk the Havlock.

Ticketmaster only have upper tier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

should be a good day out this, tickets sorted,

feck the ends which fans are going where for the pre match pints

• Advertisement

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Apparently, we're up to 9,000 tickets sold and Dundalk are at 13,000.

I'd love to think we're at 13,000 but I seriously doubt it. We were at 8,000 at the weekend, and reaching 10,000 is the expectation here.

Great to hear Cork are at 9,000. Despite the long journey, I always thought Cork would bring a big crowd.

The FAI needed to sell this game to the general sporting public in Dublin but didn't bother.

I think it will be a 25k attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Cork have the big end
    I believe its known as the Ciaran Kelly end.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I believe its known as the Ciaran Kelly end.

No, it was upgraded to the Christy Fagan end.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Thinking of spinning up the motorway from Galway for the day that's in it. Seems to be only upper stand left on ticketmaster though. Worth holding off until tommorow evening to see if any better seats get freed up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Got 4 freebies yesterday. Double date sorted :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Just back from Citys club shop in Douglas, steady queue all morning for tickets, people leaving it late again in true Cork fashion. Looks like between ourselves and Dundalk, the entire lower stand should be packed which will look great on TV. Cup final weekend well and truly started here in Cork anyway, radio stations and newpapers dominated by it.

Irish Rail have announced a third train from Dundalk to the Aviva. Like the other trains, this one will have a 1,100 capacity.

Ticket sales have continued to very strong and fans have been struggling to find coach companies in a 50 mile radius with any remaining capacity.

http://talkofthetown.ie/2015/11/06/irish-rail-to-run-additional-service-to-aviva-stadium-on-sunday/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Other than you lot talking about it, you wouldnt think it was on this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

dreamers75 wrote: »

Nationally probably yes, but down here I've been surprised by how much there is about it around the city, more than I can remember for other recent finals.

RTE news has been building up to it, there's been ads on televising the live game and a good few write ups in the papers. What are you looking for? The FAI cup is actually the only domestic game that gets any sort of a build up. If the same could be done for a few big league games we'd have a much better league.

RTE news has been building up to it, there's been ads on televising the live game and a good few write ups in the papers. What are you looking for? The FAI cup is actually the only domestic game that gets any sort of a build up. If the same could be done for a few big league games we'd have a much better league.

I live in Dublin we dont really watch or use RTE.

What would I expect??? A paid for marketting compaign by the stake holders.

Moving the cup around the country and having people not from Cork or Dundalk talking about.....Some signage in Dublin ...maybe around the stadium or something?

I see RTE has 3 articles on the cup game they are showing, and you tell me they are showing ads for a game they are showing........

I live in Dublin we dont really watch or use RTE.

What would I expect??? A paid for marketting compaign by the stake holders.

Moving the cup around the country and having people not from Cork or Dundalk talking about.....Some signage in Dublin ...maybe around the stadium or something?

I see RTE has 3 articles on the cup game they are showing, and you tell me they are showing ads for a game they are showing........

Well RTE are the main Irish based channel. If you're expecting sky or BBC to pick it up, you are **** out of luck.

3 articles and a good few ads for it since about Monday or Tuesday seems reasonable. I've seen large ads in the daily mail for the last couple of weeks too.

A few billboards would be nice but they cost money

I'm expecting just under 25k to be at it. That's twice as many people that attend a full fixture list in the PD, all at one match.

Play off final gone to extra time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

I think and hope that this FAI Cup final will attract more than 30,000 as did the Shamrock Rovers v Sligo Rovers Cup final in 2010 (36,101). Two best teams in the country, Dundalk play very attractive football, e10/e5 a ticket, good media build up, all augers well for a good attendance. I think all Irish football fans, wherever your loyalty lies, be that another League of Ireland club, the Premiership or Celtic, should get along to the Aviva and bring family and friends as this Final deserves a huge attendance.
    Hopefully like all recent Cup Finals in the Aviva it will be a thrilling final and a game to enjoy.

Well RTE are the main Irish based channel. If you're expecting sky or BBC to pick it up, you are **** out of luck.

3 articles and a good few ads for it since about Monday or Tuesday seems reasonable. I've seen large ads in the daily mail for the last couple of weeks too.

A few billboards would be nice but they cost money

I'm expecting just under 25k to be at it. That's twice as many people that attend a full fixture list in the PD, all at one match.

Jesus ..... we already established RTE are showing the ****ing match of course they are going to promote it with 3 articles and a few ads...... They actually want people to watch the ads on during it.

How does that sell tickets? Billboards not a bad idea....maybe radio ads?? how about some tweets or facebook mentions from the fcuking people who run it?

I see 2 tweets a few retweets (all today....)...well played FAI PR team thats some smashing marketting of your blue riband game.

• Advertisement

with some serious promotion this game could potentially fill the Aviva, where are the radio ads/tv ads/press ads/digitial marketing campaigns???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Might take the nephew up to this Sunday seeing as Dundalk is our nearest LOI club. Can you just get tickets at the gate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Might take the nephew up to this Sunday seeing as Dundalk is our nearest LOI club. Can you just get tickets at the gate?

You can

with some serious promotion this game could potentially fill the Aviva, where are the radio ads/tv ads/press ads/digitial marketing campaigns???

What? So Dundalk and Cork could go from averaging 3k at their gate to 50k at one game? It has to be a little more gradual than that. The league needs better advertising but filling landsdowne Road is a long way off and wont be achieved by a few radio ads.

What? So Dundalk and Cork could go from averaging 3k at their gate to 50k at one game? It has to be a little more gradual than that. The league needs better advertising but filling landsdowne Road is a long way off and wont be achieved by a few radio ads.

Fairly sure you take more drugs than me tbh.

Cork and Dundalk have done savage work to sell tickets for this game, made that part big cos i think you may be a bit thick.

RTE have done a bit to get people watching ads......The FAI have done fcuk all, they need the money and have allowed the clubs to market it themselves.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The FAI site barely acknowledges the fact the game is taking place.

From theses averages there will be over 20,000 at the game and close to 30,000 imo, and thats mainly fans from both areas. To build the attendance beyond that number neutrals need to be attracted and that requires advertising not just radio but TV, Press and more importantly theses days digital from the FAI.
    The Cup final is a great day out, a great occasion and the finals in the Aviva have been entertaining, people need to be attracted to the event by advertising these facts. You can have a good product and offer but if nobody knows about it or its not presented well it will not sell to the maximum

There'a usually a Ticketmaster van outside the stadium where you can buy tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Think Cork have pushed it well enough with the Cork is green stuff on twitter etc. Still, not sure that a neutral would know what was happening. Tbh, I can barely remember when it's on.

I want Dundalk to win though I am currently based in Cork. Everyone I talk to here hates Cork city and the football they play...must be a reason so Dundalk it is!

Good luck to both teams.

• Advertisement

Also selling tickets at turnstile Q at the stadium. Enjoy the day.

The FAI have done fcuk all, they need the money and have allowed the clubs to market it themselves.....

They have the nerve to lecture the clubs on their "poor marketing".

Clubs have done great work over the last number of years to get people to cup finals. Clubs that have on average one paid administrator.

Think Cork have pushed it well enough with the Cork is green stuff on twitter etc. Still, not sure that a neutral would know what was happening. Tbh, I can barely remember when it's on.

I want Dundalk to win though I am currently based in Cork. Everyone I talk to here hates Cork city and the football they play...must be a reason so Dundalk it is!

Good luck to both teams.

Ah the local CCFC hate brigade with their Liverpool and Celtic shirts. Never been in either ground. But are "big fans".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Good luck to both teams.

Well that's a load of bull**** right there :pac:

Many people may not care, but nobody really hates CCFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Ah the local CCFC hate brigade with their Liverpool and Celtic shirts. Never been in either ground. But are "big fans".

Do ye never tire of this pettiness?

Petty? I've encountered these types for 20 years. They "hate" Cork City because the football is apparently not up to their lofty standards. Yet most have never been inside a football ground.

By all means be ambivalent. But to "hate" something you have no knowledge of is bloody stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Are tickets really just €10? Must confess I've never been to a LOI game, but for a tenner in the Aviva would be not harm to go for a look.

Yup. €10.

Yup. €10.

That's very good. I wonder what this hasn't been advertised more. You'd pay more then that for a tour of the place what not go see a game there?

I'll grab the tickets down there tomorrow to avoid the 25% booking fee on Ticketmaster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

DDC1990 wrote: »
    That's very good. I wonder what this hasn't been advertised more. You'd pay more then that for a tour of the place what not go see a game there?

I'll grab the tickets down there tomorrow to avoid the 25% booking fee on Ticketmaster.

You pay it down there also.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

You pay it down there also.

Really? The last few rugby games I've gone to have waived that online charge. Be strange if they kept it for the soccer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement