Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup Final 2015 Cork City v Dundalk 8th November k.o. 3.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

For those who are throwing a hissy fit about the warm up, it was agreed many days before the final and known to all that if the woman's game went to pens, the teams would warm up on the other side of the pitch.

I'm pretty sure also this was in place every year since the Drogs/Sligo game when both teams had to warm up in the Tunnell .

People only having a moan at FAI and the LOI clubs without full facts .

That's not good enough. It looks terrible and is very disrespectful to the women's game. It needs to be scheduled properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

But they did,the men's final started on time. If it doesn't go to penalties then there's an extra 30 - 40 minutes that TV has to fill somehow as well as players/fans sitting around. It didn't make that much odds it's a big pitch. Most people are just looking for something to give out about. The women were only using one end of the pitch not even a full half.

They didn't because the players didn't have the normal amount of time for their warm ups! Screw the TV, they can go off air and then come back on if they wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

monkey9 wrote: »
    That's not good enough. It looks terrible and is very disrespectful to the women's game. It needs to be scheduled properly.

people are turning this into a womans thing, but the reality is it has nothing to do with woman at all.

if this was the Junior final, it would have been the same rule set out. people are just making a fuss,because some smaller/minority group has apparently been harmed.

the decision was made on agreement/request of the clubs and that's it. there are many reasons why the womans final was fixed for that time, televising them was one of them and you cant just have 1hour plus between the games just because of the off-chance of upsetting somebody espcially with so much pre match stuff to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

SantryRed wrote: »
    They didn't because the players didn't have the normal amount of time for their warm ups! Screw the TV, they can go off air and then come back on if they wanted.

They warmed up underground and then they took a run out on the pitch.The penalty spot at the far end was where the action was happening and the Cork and Dundalk players didn't cross the half way line.
    I don't see the issue. It wasn't ideal but I don't think it's the reason Shelbourne lost the shoot out or anything like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

For those who are throwing a hissy fit about the warm up, it was agreed many days before the final and known to all that if the woman's game went to pens, the teams would warm up on the other side of the pitch.

I'm pretty sure also this was in place every year since the Drogs/Sligo game when both teams had to warm up in the Tunnell .

People only having a moan at FAI and the LOI clubs without full facts .

It's pretty disrespectful to be fair and its also against the rules as the first game is still ongoing. The fact they're only using one side of the pitch is irrelevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Well done Wexford on winning the Ladies final, great year for Wexford Youths with the mens team getting promoted to the Premier Division of the League of Ireland.
    With regard to the warm up the main issue was the scheduling but I do think the Cork City players should not have warmed up on the pitch when the ladies shoot out was in progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Big thanks to the Cork fans for lending us some support!

Very cringe-worthy the Cork fans chanting "Wexford" when the players were parading with the trophy. Not to mention the booing and jeering of the Shels players too when going to take penos, minnowism at it's finest.

Men's final was poor! Upper East stand was baltic too!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It sucks that the games overlapped like that it is a bit disrespectful to see people warming up down one end while penalties for the final go on down theother.

However if it was my team in the final I'd want them doing their proper warm up and fúck what anyone else says. They shouldn't have been put into that position, deciding between not doing a full warm up or not offending people. Comes down to bad planning at the end of it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done Dundalk, no complaints on the field.

Best team today won and best team in Ireland.

Pity all yer fans could not enjoy it though. Disgrace from a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It sucks that the games overlapped like that it is a bit disrespectful to see people warming up down one end while penalties for the final go on down theother.

However if it was my team in the final I'd want them doing their proper warm up and fúck what anyone else says. They shouldn't have been put into that position, deciding between not doing a full warm up or not offending people. Comes down to bad planning at the end of it.

Also, without being a chauvinistic c*nt, the ladies are probably delighted to be playing on TV and having the honour of playing in the national stadium. The women's national team don't even get that. Doubt they care really. Too focused on their own game.

I was speaking yesterday to a player who was involved a few years back when the game before that final also went to pens and he explained how farcical it was that both teams had no proper warm up.

The solution was warm up at the other end, there is no other happy medium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was speaking yesterday to a player who was involved a few years back when the game before that final also went to pens and he explained how farcical it was that both teams had no proper warm up.

The solution would be to start the Ladies Final earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Play the game earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Isn't there a pitch behind the East stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

[/B]

Get you out of here with your common sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

[/B]

Expect the stadium to be empty and no television coverage if this happened.

It was just bad luck that it went to penalties. If any more time was left between the games then there's other issues and people would be looking for the game to be closer together.
    It regularly happens in GAA where warm ups are affected by games going into extra time.
    There was space on the pitch and the players warmed up. They had to think about themselves and be selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Expect the stadium to be empty and no television coverage if this happened.

It was just bad luck that it went to penalties. If any more time was left between the games then there's other issues and people would be looking for the game to be closer together.
    It regularly happens in GAA where warm ups are affected by games going into extra time.
    There was space on the pitch and the players warmed up. They had to think about themselves and be selfish.

15 minutes would be neither here nor there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Well done Dundalk, no complaints on the field.

Best team today won and best team in Ireland.

Pity all yer fans could not enjoy it though. Disgrace from a few.

Want some cheese with your whine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Very cringe-worthy the Cork fans chanting "Wexford" when the players were parading with the trophy. Not to mention the booing and jeering of the Shels players too when going to take penos, minnowism at it's finest.

Cringeworthy? Minnowism? Cheer up man, just a bit of craic. The cold air up there must have froze all sense of enjoyment in ya.

I've no doubt the roles reversed the same would happen....and still would be a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Corholio wrote: »
    Cringeworthy? Minnowism? Cheer up man, just a bit of craic. The cold air up there must have froze all sense of enjoyment in ya.

I've no doubt the roles reversed the same would happen....and still would be a bit of craic.

Not much of a sense of humour in some parts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Poor game. Could have went either way. Only came in when Wexford girls were parading the trophy so didn't see the warm up fiasco. Bad planning really. Was hoping for pens before the game but can't have any complaints.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Want some cheese with your whine?

Nah, just pity a select few Dundalk fans had to wreck Lansdowne for whatever reason.

Bad form to break up seats. But some show by Dundalk fans in last 10 mins, not sure if it was planned or just happened but it looked good when all one end and half the lower tier of the next just went nuts.

As for on the field action, best team in the country won, and deservedly. Didn't think the game was as bad as some make out, was fairly slick out there after the monsoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I'd hold on the reason why seats got broken, two of my nephews were in the area said the seats gave way from the bouncing up and down on them. It wasn't a case we want to wreck the place type of stuff. Over excitement shall we call it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Hahaha, I'll have to buy you a pint next season when yer down for the annual game against Cobh Ramblers, might loosen ya out a bit ya poor thing.

Congrats to Dundalk, serious feat to win a double along with back to back titles, and ye had a fantastic crowd there today, outnumbered city 2:1 maybe??

The scary thing for me was that I always thought Dundalk would score, and when they did, it didn't hurt, I just turned around and started laughing. Caulfield hasn't a clue but he's after bagging himself a 2 year extension so alot of that rubbis for two more years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Nah, just pity a select few Dundalk fans had to wreck Lansdowne for whatever reason.
    Cause it reminds them of home when its in ****e.

[/B]

do you think its that simple? they obviously have reasons for the "later" start, especially as they have encountered this issue before and it was the mens teams who suffered back then.

you can be pretty sure, its down to RTE and people are not idiots either, this was discussed and planned for and the teams were aware. im sure the Wexford girls dont care this morning.

Wreck Lansdowne? There was 12 seats broken by kids jumping on them. You expect Dundalk fans to come on here to apologise for a bunch of kids acting the bollox out of 12500 fans? Where were the stewards? They'd be in fairly sharpish if it was an anti FAI or Delaney banner on display

You should be far more concerned why it was another gutless performance from Cork rather than what opposition fans are getting up to. Cork have the players to actually play ball but persist to absolutely destroy football at every opportunity. You get what you deserve in life and Cork deserve nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

This seats business is a nonsense story being used by GAA and rugby loving newspapers to cast ALL football fans as hooligans.

A dozen seats came loose when there was a surge when Dundalk scored. I'm glad no-one was hurt.

The club will bear the cost of repairing the seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Do the clubs get fined for the flares?

Also some idiot in the Dundalk end let off an actual ****ing firework from the middle of the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't think there would have been any problem with kicking the women's game off a half an hour earlier. Considering the amount of ****e they like to talk on Soccer Republic every week I think they'd have no problem talking their way through an extra half an hour.

My problem with the two teams warming up is that it relegates the penalties to feeling like half time entertainment. It was more than that. It was the biggest cup competition that these women will play every year.

On the positive side, the football community is talking about women's football. That's a start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Very disappointed with yesterday. Dundalk weren't at the races it seemed but CCFC were happy to pump it long and play for penalties.

Better team won. No argument. Maybe had city tried to play it would have been different. May not either.

He wasn't official motm but Daryl Hirgsn was best player in the pitch for me. An immense performance.

A number of Dundslk fans came up to us in the pub after gloating and how we should shove it up our holes. Classy guys. Seems they don't know how to win graciously. Couple this with the antics after the league win last year flinging golf balls into the away section and I have little time for any of them anymore.

gimmick wrote: »
    A number of Dundslk fans came up to us in the pub after gloating and how we should shove it up our holes. Classy guys. Seems they don't know how to win graciously. Couple this with the antics after the league win last year flinging golf balls into the away section and I have little time for any of them anymore.

Bit OTT.

I was in a mixed section in the stadium and fans were shaking hands and offering congratulations/commiserations after the game.

It was the friendliest atmosphere I've seen at an LOI in many many years.

Very disappointed with yesterday. Dundalk weren't at the races it seemed but CCFC were happy to pump it long and play for penalties.

Better team won. No argument. Maybe had city tried to play it would have been different. May not either.

He wasn't official motm but Daryl Hirgsn was best player in the pitch for me. An immense performance.

Boohoo. Some bigger boys were being mean to you. Did you at least tell a grown up? They might have been able to give them a right telling off

Maybe. But 2 years in a row having our noses rubbed in it leaves a poor impression tbh.

Boohoo. Some bigger boys were being mean to you. Did you at least tell a grown up? They might have been able to give them a right telling off

It was probably you was it?

:rolleyes:

after a game it's not ok to act the prick and gloat. People who have an ounce of class don't. Clearly they didn't and the likes of you seem OK with it. No surprise there really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You're really doing a fine job solidifying his point. Intentionally or not. :)

Ya Dundalk were well below average and still won.

Best LOI team in last 15 years?

I know there been few decent sides like Shels around 2004 and Cork (looking where many achieved after) could compare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Any Dundalk fans I met after the game were grand again, theres dickheads following every club in the league gimmick.

I thought the athmosphere for the last 5 minutes of normal time was something else, it was like Italy in the 90's from both sets of fans.

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    Any Dundalk fans I met after the game were grand again, theres dickheads following every club in the league gimmick.

I thought the athmosphere for the last 5 minutes of normal time was something else, it was like Italy in the 90's from both sets of fans.

Oh I know. We have Have plenty in that regard. We were just unlucky I guess.

Wreck Lansdowne? There was 12 seats broken by kids jumping on them. You expect Dundalk fans to come on here to apologise for a bunch of kids acting the bollox out of 12500 fans? Where were the stewards? They'd be in fairly sharpish if it was an anti FAI or Delaney banner on display

You should be far more concerned why it was another gutless performance from Cork rather than what opposition fans are getting up to. Cork have the players to actually play ball but persist to absolutely destroy football at every opportunity. You get what you deserve in life and Cork deserve nothing

I agree that Cork got what they deserved, which is nothing. We are brutal to watch outside of Turners Cross.

As for your first point, I never asked for fans to apologise, I just think had it been Russian or Polish fans it may have been received much more critical. It takes something special to break 12 seats, kids or not. Ye must have few strong kids in Dundalk ;)

It was probably you was it?

:rolleyes:

Certainly not. I met lots of Cork fans before during and after the game and great chats with them. Few very vocal Cork fans in amonst lots of Dundalk fans in our section and there was lots of handshakes after the match. Very friendly atmosphere.

You met a few assholes in a bar. Jesus. Cork fans really sounding like a bunch of whingers on here.

CHealy wrote: »

I'm glad you mentioned that. I got goosebumps during the spontaneous cheering and chanting during that period.

The best I've ever seen at a LOI game and something I'll remember for a long time.

I agree that Cork got what they deserved, which is nothing. We are brutal to watch outside of Turners Cross.

As for your first point, I never asked for fans to apologise, I just think had it been Russian or Polish fans it may have been received much more critical. It takes something special to break 12 seats, kids or not. Ye must have few strong kids in Dundalk ;)

Well that's it. Cork have fantastic players at their disposal with a bit more courage they'd be neck and neck with Dundalk. There is very few people that would argue that Shields is a better player than Miller but Caulfield's tactics have made him look very ordinary.

I'm sure Dundalk will have to pay to replace them. Clubs will also be hit with fines for the flares too. May end up costing us money to play in the final

What's the cup final purse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

You met a few assholes in a bar. Jesus. Cork fans really sounding like a bunch of whingers on here.

Everyone of the Cork persuasion has already acknowledged that Dundalk were the better team. Well, on here anyway.

Local derbies aside, there's nothing worse than trying to go for a pint when you have some absolute nonce shouting in your direction after a game.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the back and forth slagging from time to time but when you get beaten and you have some drunken nob going OTT after you've stated that their team were better on the day, it gets tiresome.

Or maybe I just need to man the fúck up. I don't know.. :pac:

That_Guy wrote: »
    Everyone of the Cork persuasion has already acknowledged that Dundalk were the better team. Well, on here anyway.

Local derbies aside, there's nothing worse than trying to go for a pint when you have some absolute nonce shouting in your direction after a game.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the back and forth slagging from time to time but when you get beaten and you have some drunken nob going OTT after you've stated that their team were better on the day, it gets tiresome.

I agree with you. Banter before the game is fine, but slagging the losing team shows no class.

I'd feel the same.

However, such unsporting behaviour should not be attributed to all Dundalk fans.

Well that's it. Cork have fantastic players at their disposal with a bit more courage they'd be neck and neck with Dundalk. There is very few people that would argue that Shields is a better player than Miller but Caulfield's tactics have made him look very ordinary.

I'm sure Dundalk will have to pay to replace them. Clubs will also be hit with fines for the flares too. May end up costing us money to play in the final

Enjoy the win.

While it's been at our expense, it's been a joy to watch Dundalk and watching them in flesh at Cross 3 or 4 times I have.

Ye probably lose player or 2 to England, but if ye keep most of them ye can make a good go in Europe next year and of course the League.

That_Guy wrote: »

I've got abuse by countless number of drunk fans after games in lots of sports. I'm certainly not going to have a bad impression of their entire fan base because of the actions of a few assholes. Like I said there was 12500 Dundalk fans at the game of course there is going to be a few dickheads among them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've got abuse by countless number of drunk fans after games in lots of sports. I'm certainly not going to have a bad impression of their entire fan base because of the actions of a few assholes. Like I said there was 12500 Dundalk fans at the game of course there is going to be a few dickheads among them

Oh, I'm not saying that I would tar them all with the same brush. It does happen at a lot of games I'm sure but it is a bit strange when you have a 30+ man telling you how much your team is "shít" over and over again.

Not exactly telling me anything I didn't already know. ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement