Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Respond or Ignore

• 30-10-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So this is going to be the silliest most pedantic thing thats been on in here in a long while but Im stuck as who to turn to for advice.

I dont know if this makes a differences but Im in my early 20s. I was on a night out recently with a friend, she was busy flirting with someone so I decided to chat to people; I ended up chatting to some guy for a while, and it turned out we had a few things in common, he asked for a kiss so I decided why not. Drunken me sillily agreed to swap numbers and facebooks-something I have never done before. I actually told him I never give people numbers/fb but I definitely would with him. Im not going to lie we got on got quite well and it did seem a good idea at the time.

Sober me the following day realised this was a bad idea and not something I wanted. The guy had texted me very early that morning, sent me a friend request on fb and sent me a message on fb too. As awful as this sounds, I know Im no trophy either, but he just isnt goodlooking at all, I dont know him but it just seems unlikely he would ever get someone to swap numbers with him...and I just feel like I got his hopes up high and now Im a 2 faced cow having changed my mind, especially having been so enthusiastic the previous night about staying in contact. I feel so guilty, I dont know if I should ignore the text/fb message/friend request or reply and tell him Im not interested anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭santana75

Be honest and direct with him. You may think you're sparing his feelings by ignoring him, but that'll be more hurtful than honesty. Just say, I was a bit drunk the other night, sorry if I gave you the wrong idea, Im just not interested. And leave it at that. You've been truthful and straight up, nobody is gonna have any problem with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Teafor two12345

He probably will get it if you just ignore anyway. But it's more respectful to be clear I think. Tell him straight out no. Be clear. Do it kindly but be perfectly clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Why don't you try chatting to him now your sober ?
    Just because you don't think he's good looking, looks fade personality doesn't it's forever ?
    So maybe look past the outer surface and you never know, he might be a real gem of a guy ?

Why don't you try chatting to him now your sober ?
    Just because you don't think he's good looking, looks fade personality doesn't it's forever ?
    So maybe look past the outer surface and you never know, he might be a real gem of a guy ?

He's not, didn't you read her first post? That WOULD be unfair. She is not attracted to him. Plenty of fish in the sea for both of them.

You know first off whether or not you are attracted to someone.

He probably wants a woman who is attracted.

She shouldn't feel she has to give a chance to a guy who is not physically for her. And if he has any self esteem he wouldn't want that anyway.

Plenty of good looking guys with a gem of a personality too.

She should be true to her needs and what she wants. You have to be true to your desires. She shouldn't feel bad for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

He's not, didn't you read her first post? That WOULD be unfair. She is not attracted to him. Plenty of fish in the sea for both of them.

You know first off whether or not you are attracted to someone.

He probably wants a woman who is attracted.

She shouldn't feel she has to give a chance to a guy who is not physically for her. And if he has any self esteem he wouldn't want that anyway.

Plenty of good looking guys with a gem of a personality too.

She should be true to her needs and what she wants. You have to be true to your desires. She shouldn't feel bad for that.

I did read the first post yes ! She says she only spoke to him when she was drunk ? So maybe if she were to speak to him in person while sober, she will see he's a nice guy ?
    Looks aren't the only thing that attracts a person ! Charisma, the mind, the way the person speaks, laughs, lots of things can be found attractive and attract a person !
    Yes good looking people can be a gem too but as the old saying goes a rosey Apple can be rotten inside and very often is ! But hey was simply offering advice but upto the op at the end of the day !

• Advertisement

I did read the first post yes ! She says she only spoke to him when she was drunk ? So maybe if she were to speak to him in person she will see he's a nice guy ?
    Looks aren't the only thing that attracts a person ! Charisma, the mind, the way the person speaks, laughs, lots of things can be found attractive and attract a person !
    Yes good looking people can be a gem too but as the old saying goes a rosey Apple can be rotten inside and very often is ! But hey was simply offering advice but upto the op at the end of the day !

A nice guy is not enough.

Looks and personality both have to be there for me.

I am just saying what i would do myself.

And if he was a nice guy I would not want to lead him on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Just ignore would be my advice, he will get the message. You don't owe him a big explanation, relax you only met him once.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Just ignore would be my advice, he will get the message. You don't owe him a big explanation, relax you only met him once.

He will get the message. It is nice to just be straight though. You're right she owes him nothing. I still think it's respectful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

He will get the message. It is nice to just be straight though. You're right she owes him nothing. I still think it's respectful though.

Don't get me wrong, it probably isn't the most respectful way to handle it. I just think it's easier though and saves the hassle/awkwardness of any back and forth exchanges. Especially seeing as they only met once, it would be different if they had met up a few times.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, it probably isn't the most respectful way to handle it. I just think it's easier though and saves the hassle/awkwardness of any back and forth exchanges. Especially seeing as they only met once, it would be different if they had met up a few times.

I can understand that. :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement