Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doorly Park trail closure

Options
  • 30-10-2015 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

While I'm glad they are finally fixing the second footbridge, I am annoyed that they have closed off the entire trail from the start as it is a much nicer area to walk than around the right where there is no trail and you are next to the road instead of the river.

Anyone know how long they will have that fence up? The sign about the works said it would need to be closed periodically, but a lady told me she heard 3 months, which I hope is just rumor as that would be ridiculous. It takes nearly 10 minutes to walk from the fence to where they are actually doing the repair work, so all that part of the trail is wasted unnecessarily.

Surely they could have put the fence after the first bridge instead with some signage at the start to say the middle of the trail is closed. That would still be safe and save people having to turn around and walk back I'd they were planning on walking all the way through.

Also they put the fencing up the day before the bank holiday weekend when no work would be going on anyway. It just seems like the typical Irish way of making a small job into a big inconvenience and taking ages. I use that trail twice a day and it's one of my favourite (free) activities in town, I would like to know how long we have to be locked out of it. Call me cyncial, but I'd wager they haven't even touched the bridge yet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

i believe that the total timeframe for work to be completed is three months....the trail will reopen when a temporary bridge is in place and close only occasionally thereafter.......passed up the river on Sunday last and the bridge had already been removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

dardevle wrote: »
    i believe that the total timeframe for work to be completed is three months....the trail will reopen when a temporary bridge is in place and close only occasionally thereafter.......passed up the river on Sunday last and the bridge had already been removed.

Thanks, hopefully they reopen it soon. When I bring my dog down there he goes up to the fence and looks at me with a long face as if I'm playing a trick on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Can't picture where the bridge is they are fixing but I hope it prevents the flooding that has been happening there the last few years. It's such a beautiful walk on a cold winters day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

yeah it doesn't make sense and you're right in what you're saying. give them a call and explain the difficulty, it may not be a huge deal for them to move the closure closer to the actual works and keep more of it open.
    important they know people are unhappy or they definitely won't change it, if they're not helping, contact a local representative, there's an election coming up (which i know if national but you know yourself!)

it's great they're doing it but no need for unnecessary inconvenience. the bridge is a good bit down the walk from the back avenue lubie, the works are to restore and repair the bridge, unless they're expanding the scope of the works it wouldn't have any effect on flooding that can occur down there in winter and with heavy rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

The upper part of the walk that I know as the "7 bridges" was open last weekend and had some good path raising work done on the bit that used to be flooded. The path was closed today again. Hopefully they are going to get it right on this part of the riverside walk this time by building high water defence. I did see people walking from the car park in as there wasn't any fencing visable but I am sure it was blocked somewhere along there.

Good to see restoration going on, even if it disturbs our regular walking routes in this wonderful walking weather!

• Advertisement

promethius wrote: »
    yeah it doesn't make sense and you're right in what you're saying. give them a call and explain the difficulty, it may not be a huge deal for them to move the closure closer to the actual works and keep more of it open.
    important they know people are unhappy or they definitely won't change it, if they're not helping, contact a local representative, there's an election coming up (which i know if national but you know yourself!)

it's great they're doing it but no need for unnecessary inconvenience. the bridge is a good bit down the walk from the back avenue lubie, the works are to restore and repair the bridge, unless they're expanding the scope of the works it wouldn't have any effect on flooding that can occur down there in winter and with heavy rainfall.

Yeah they basically fenced off the opposite end of where the work is, it's really stupid. Who would I contact if I did want to because I will if it is dragging on too long.

Another question, is it possible the sign was restored incorrectly? I thought it originally said E.F Doorly Park, they restored it to The Doorly Park. I don't have a picture but even the old broken letters that were there ages didn't seem like they could have ever spelled The Doorly Park and it was never called 'The' Doorly Park by locals that I recall, just Doorly Park.

I do enjoy the little placards that flip out of the wooden posts with the names of the trees etc on them. I would like to see them provide some bins for dog waste bags. If you want to do the right thing and pick up your dog waste there is nowhere to dispose of it. They make ones that are designed so you can't fit household waste in it which I know is a concern. But there is about 10 bins along the Riverside footpath and none in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

you can follow progress here....but no comments allowed?!!

http://sligotidytowns.ie/doorly-park-footbridge-being-restored/

just a couple of points on the subject:

the original wording of the arch was THE DOORLY PARK, but due to deterioration it appeared to read other than that at times.

since the majority of flooding along that lower stretch of walk took place in the vicinity of the footbridge in question, it would be foolish not to tackle the flooding issue at this time because the bridge itself was often underwater, to restore it without raising it does not make much sense.......nor did it make sense to me to commence this project at the time of year when flooding risk is highest??

..and finally if this is how the public are treated ( no prior notice) for a simple enough task one would think, it does not bode well for the area of the doorly park, if and when they commence the eastern bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Any idea if the Riverside walk is open this weekend? No updates on TT page.

The trail next to the river has had the fence removed for a few days now, haven't been down during daytime yet to see is it open all the way to the 2nd bridge but it looks open for now

Advertisement