Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any downside to jailbreak a PS3

• 31-10-2015 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know nothing about modding these. Any negatives? Can you undo? Can it go wrong?

Is their a decent link on doing it? A quick Google is turning up all sorts of sh1t vids and bad guides with noob parts skipped in them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭callumsdad

Hi,

I know nothing about modding these. Any negatives? Can you undo? Can it go wrong?

Is their a decent link on doing it? A quick Google is turning up all sorts of sh1t vids and bad guides with noob parts skipped in them.

It depends on what ps3 you have and what firmware you're running.You can download a file and run an update from the USB to see if your ps can run the 3.55 firmware.Google gave me all the info I needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Any negatives? Can you undo? Can it go wrong?

No online play, or certainly not without risking a console ban
    Not sure about undoing
    It can indeed go wrong, take your time :)

As for a guide, can't help you there, it's not a scene I follow closely at all. I know if your console is on firmware 3.55 then things are much easier. If it's over that, it has to be downgraded & that's not easy (requires hardware & very good soldering skills I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

Hi,
    if your PS3 is running on 3.55 or lower you can mod it by yourself. If it's higher you have to downgrade and like Myrddin said you need skill and tools. If you don't know what to do it can go wrong.

You can play online but there is ban risk (unban cost around 15e). You can always undo it but if you like to come back on dark side you need downgrade again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Myrddin wrote: »
    No online play, or certainly not without risking a console ban

It's the only way to play some games online anymore like MGO2... which is the best multiplayer game on PS3 tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Cb9

Check your ps3 firmware (Settings/System/System Information)
    If your on 3.55 download a CFW like REBUG or Rogero, Rename it to PS3UPDAT.PUP and install from XMB -> Settings -> System Update. NOTE - The folder structure on your FAT32 USB drive should look like this: root:PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP (Make sure your PC is not hiding extensions)
    After it is done installing, you are now on CFW.

If it's above 3.55 check here to see if you can downgrade to 3.55
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models
    If you can and your ps3 has a nor chip (Nand requires soldering) buy a e3 flasher and follow this guide http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=33989 alternatively you could pay someone else to flash it for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement