Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB public charging plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Villain wrote: »
    Well I have it a year with 15,000km done and 99% of that was done from home charging.
    Are you trying to avoid public charging for some reason? Seems odd.

Anyway the 1% was that any kind of emergency or otherwise avoidable?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

s.welstead wrote: »
    Are you trying to avoid public charging for some reason? Seems odd.

Anyway the 1% was that any kind of emergency or otherwise avoidable?

No I just charge each night at home on night rate, daily commute is under 50km and wife has a diesel car for longer journeys, the 1% was to try it out or grab free charge while bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

No I just charge each night at home on night rate, daily commute is under 50km and wife has a diesel car for longer journeys, the 1% was to try it out or grab free charge while bored.

The ESB knows that virtually every EV will sign up. It's a captive market and they are gouging it.

It's that simple

BoatMad wrote: »
    The ESB knows that virtually every EV will sign up. It's a captive market and they are gouging it.

It's that simple

Or killing the market before it gets going......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

BoatMad wrote: »

It's that simple

not really

BMW will be building millions of plug in hybrids in the next few years and they will sell very well in Ireland, but the owners will stay away from the public chargers to avoid the rip off fees, and its not just BMW, after the Diesel scandal I expect VW to go down the same route

then there is the next gen electrics, my plan is to buy the Model 3 with a 200 mile range, I will never give the ESB a penny of my money if they try to rip me off

as range increases the need for public chargers gets smaller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

I'm the same, daily commute is within range, And street parking fees in dublin are outrageous, so it works out way easier and cheaper to just charge at home.
    I most likely will not be signing up to pay for a service I might use and would have the added parking fee €2.90 \ hour + €200 per year and what ever rate they decide to charge per unit, the whole thing is a bit rip off Ireland.
    But when ev users are asking for charging what are u gonna do.

An example of an exception is I need to go to Dundalk from Dublin this week so topping up while in Dublin would make sense but its just a hassle so I will most likely pop home for the ice car and head to Dundalk in that. Consider that is without having to pay a fee for charging access.

Dear EV community, we are finalising details of our future payment plans and will be writing directly to each of our ESB ecars customers within the next week. Payment options for existing ESB ecars customers will not come into effect until April 2016.

Well it's official and agrees with the printed flyer.

Looks like we all going to be screwed

I think the access card could be linked to your home account, so you pay your home provider at what ever rate you have with them, esb still gets the wholesale rate anyway so that should be enough for them. The consumer gets to choose their preferred provider (support renewable) or best rate whatever there thing is. New users get free access for a period and tourists get low cost (or free) short term access.

This would still encourage new sales.
    No cost benefit to street charging prevents abuse.

Well if there is only a thousand of us how hard would it be to organize a boycott.
    If none or a very few sign up they could be forced to rethink.

Maybe we could set up a network of our own, using each others home chargers in the short term until the esb fold.
    I have one in Navan if anyone wants a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

That flyer is not the official final prices .ESB will come out with a more definitive pay system better explained. Chill and wait for ESb proper payment system to be launched.

• Advertisement

mr.dunkey wrote: »
    That flyer is not the official final prices .ESB will come out with a more definitive pay system better explained. Chill and wait for ESb proper payment system to be launched.

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If that flyer isn't official, then why has it been given to a dealer?

Has this all been one epic prank?

Sadly no. The statement by the ESB this evening matches up with that flyer in terms of the dates for commencement for current customers.

You are assuming all will play, I don't think I will.

You also aren't looking at how it will impact the future sales and growth.

Having free charging has promoted abuse of the infrastructure because people are greedy and want to get as much of something free as they can and will charge at the fast chargers when they could otherwise charge at home taking up a charger for someone who needs it, this can't continue. All for the sake of less than 2 Euro's on night rate for a complete charge.

The ESB also need to make money from the whole project.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like they just killed the electric car.

na, they have slowed it down a little but in the end electric will win

nokia69 wrote: »
    not really

BMW will be building millions of plug in hybrids in the next few years and they will sell very well in Ireland, but the owners will stay away from the public chargers to avoid the rip off fees, and its not just BMW, after the Diesel scandal I expect VW to go down the same route

then there is the next gen electrics, my plan is to buy the Model 3 with a 200 mile range, I will never give the ESB a penny of my money if they try to rip me off

as range increases the need for public chargers gets smaller

I don't think 17 Euro's PM is a rip off, especially for high mileage users it's a gift, only problem with a flat rate is it will encourage people to use them to get some of their monies worth. So we could have more of a problem with queuing than we do now. Billing per Kwh is the only really sensible move.

17 Euro's and it's still saving a lot of money over ICE.

You're quiet right that as range increases then need for the Public chargers decreases except they'll still be needed for long distance travelling, and those not allowed or not possible to have home charging will depend on the infrastructure entirely.

I don't think 17 Euro's PM is a rip off, especially for high mileage users it's a gift, only problem with a flat rate is it will encourage people to use them to get some of their monies worth. So we could have more of a problem with queuing than we do now. Billing per Kwh is the only really sensible move.

17 Euro's and it's still saving a lot of money over ICE.

You're quiet right that as range increases then need for the Public chargers decreases except they'll still be needed for long distance travelling, and those not allowed or not possible to have home charging will depend on the infrastructure entirely.

Of course it's a rip off. 17 PLUS. A further FCP. Charge. It's a ripoff

Seriously doubt it, 17 euro's PM for unlimited miles and unlimited Kwh ?

The uptake of electric cars in Ireland is pathetic anyway but maybe the 150-250 range electrics in 2018 might encourage a lot more.

The uptake of electric cars in Ireland is pathetic anyway but maybe the 150-250 range electrics in 2018 might encourage a lot more.

Emmm I think you are mistaken, the €17 will only be for access once the program is fully implemented you will also have to pay for each kw

I think you're missing the point.

Nobody is saying that it's just €17 for unlimited access. The alleged proposal is that €17 per month is just to access the network. You still have to pay for what you use on top of that.

Edit, Villain beat me to it.

• Advertisement

chamx.jpg

SCPs will remain free until the end of 2016 (although you'll still have to pay the €17) and FCPs will be free until April.

So from April onwards you have to pay €17 monthly, PLUS pay an as yet undetermined rate per minute or or kw for the use of a FCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Compare that to Norway where you get free charge points, there's 4 times as many per population as the UK, you can use the bus lanes, free use of toll roads, that's where we need to be going.

Very interesting story about Norway that was on BBC last week...
    https://youtu.be/avffzEU1c_Q?t=4512

Compare that to Norway where you get free charge points, there's 4 times as many per population as the UK, you can use the bus lanes, free use of toll roads, that's where we need to be going.

Norway is a very different country to Ireland, lots of oil, lots of hydro, very rich

but in general I agree if the right support was there then EVs would sell a lot better

Hang on did I miss something ? I thought this was 17 PM and no Kwh charge ?

That's not going to happen here, the taxi drivers would go nuts.

Fcp free till April then unknown charging costs scars suggest costing will be 3-5 euros per typical charge.

Rapids , free till end of 2016

So 17 plus charge cost = ripoff

Yes I'm afraid you did.

€17 a month with no kwh would be bad from the point of view that it would encourage charge hogging.

But €17 just to have the right to use a charger is scandalous.

It's the equivalent of having to pay a monthly fee to access petrol stations and then pay for your fuel too.

Just say no!

• Advertisement

There should be a Kwh only cost for low usage.

I can't see how this would turn people off EV considering the money they hand over in pure tax to the Government for petrol and diesel.

17 Euro's PM and even when there is a Kwh cost I can't see it as being that bad especially if it frees up the chargers for high usage.

I do have issues with the 17 PM charge being a low user of the charge points but since the cost over the year is less than petrol was costing me a month I don't think it is a huge cost to be able to access the network.

I would have more of an issue of it was a flat rate only because of people hogging the chargers to get their monies worth.

Advertisement