Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easily accessible recipes!?

Options
  • 31-10-2015 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna start me some home brew in the new year once I get the bucks together for an all grain kit. Only trouble is of all the recipes I've found on different fora, not many of the ingredients seem (to me) to be available from the couple homebrew sites here in Ireland.

So where will I find some recipes that have ingredients I can easily get from home brew west or the home brew company? Or will I have to the trouble of finding stuff on foreign sites?

While I'm on the subject, I can't find any recipes in here either!? I'm either blind or not looking hard enough. Haha.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

pajopearl wrote: »
    I'm gonna start me some home brew in the new year once I get the bucks together for an all grain kit. Only trouble is of all the recipes I've found on different fora, not many of the ingredients seem (to me) to be available from the couple homebrew sites here in Ireland.

So where will I find some recipes that have ingredients I can easily get from home brew west or the home brew company? Or will I have to the trouble of finding stuff on foreign sites?

While I'm on the subject, I can't find any recipes in here either!? I'm either blind or not looking hard enough. Haha.

What are you interested in brewing?

Most recipes can be substituted by googling alternatives to the hops or malt.

A basic guide to beers styles is John Palmers book; Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew

I expect you might be trying to replicate American Pale Ale styles and having trouble with finding Pale 2 row, if so Homebrew West carry this;
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/weyermann-pale-ale-malt-55-to-75-ebc-1-kg-5535-p.asp
    They also carry most of the C hops (Cascade, Citra, Centenial, Chinook etc) that are typical of the American style.

A bit more information on the style you want to brew would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

There's 2 styles I want to brew predominantly. Firstly I'll probably try the APA's alright as they seem to me to be the easiest to brew and not alot can go wrong unless you truly fack up.

Id also be interested in doing European style lagers along the lines of Carlsberg and Heineken. Not entirely sure if they fall into the APA bracket, but as they're European I'm guessing not.

Id love to try my hand at stouts in the future, but I'll just stick to lagers for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

pajopearl wrote: »
    There's 2 styles I want to brew predominantly. Firstly I'll probably try the APA's alright as they seem to me to be the easiest to brew and not alot can go wrong unless you truly fack up.

Id also be interested in doing European style lagers along the lines of Carlsberg and Heineken. Not entirely sure if they fall into the APA bracket, but as they're European I'm guessing not.

Id love to try my hand at stouts in the future, but I'll just stick to lagers for now.

You'll have no problem finding suitable malts both Munich and Czech for pilsners. Be aware that you will need to lager your brews at fridge temps. Brewing a lager is different to brewing an ale.

APAs are as you say are much easier to brew so I suggest starting there. I've had fun with single variatal hopping (Simcoe, Centennial and Citra so far) using a very basic recipe of 2 row malt with very light additions of caramel malts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Stouts and wheat/wit beers are the easiest to get right I've found.
    The yeast does most of the work for wheat/wits

Advertisement