Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell XPS Studio not booting, blank screen

• 31-10-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone could sheld light on this beofre I send it off to a repair shop.
    Turned on my Dell laptop the other day. All lights on the keyboard came on and stayed on. Screen stayed blank.
    Tried every power reset option I could locate on the net, no change.
    Replaced the CMOS battery, no change.
    Re-applied thermal past to CPU and GPU, no change.
    Took out RAM and re-inserted, one at a time, no change.
    The weird thing is I had installed two 4GB sticks a while back with no issue. For the sake of it I put back in the two old 2GB sticks, again no change. However when I left one of the 2GB sticks in, I got 6 beeps followed by the Windows sound. I know the HDD is fine as I put it into a caddy and it worked fine on another laptop. From what I can gather the 6 beeps indicates a GPU failure. However I was wondering why one stick of 2GB ram would at least let Windows boot (even if I can't see it) but no other combination woul?
    PS I also tried hooking the laptop up to TV via HDMI and an external monitor via VGA and no luck there either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 vinegar_zombie

From what you describing I would say its a faulty MOBO. if there was anything wrong with the screen , it still should display when connected by hdmi and/or vga to external screen.
    Since you had 4gb but then removed ,I would think that the beeping is 'missing ram' since the amount of ram changed and the pc doesn't know why.
    also , whats the model and had you upgrade cpu recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

From what you describing I would say its a faulty MOBO. if there was anything wrong with the screen , it still should display when connected by hdmi and/or vga to external screen.
    Since you had 4gb but then removed ,I would think that the beeping is 'missing ram' since the amount of ram changed and the pc doesn't know why.
    also , whats the model and had you upgrade cpu recently?

Model is XPS Studio 1645. No, I hadn't upgraded the cpu. I actually have another thread in Comp and Tech at the moment as the repair shop have recommended a reflow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 vinegar_zombie

mordeith wrote: »
    Model is XPS Studio 1645. No, I hadn't upgraded the cpu. I actually have another thread in Comp and Tech at the moment as the repair shop have ]

Never did a reflow before, so I cannot really recommend it. Honestly I never herd about anybody that does it . Sounds like one of thous macgyver fixes, like putting your xbox to the oven to fix the red ring. Even if its only is the GPU many of these fix shops , wouldn't bother with it or give a very high price. IN most of the cases fixing it would be more expensive then getting a second hand motherboard. IF you are comfortable with doing the reflow , you may try , but its not certain that it will fix the issue

Advertisement