Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't gain entry to my new house

Options
  • 31-10-2015 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I concluded the buying of a house last week. I went to collect the keys from the Auct. as agreed. He gave me an envelope full of keys. So we all drove off to celebrate etc. However, none of the keys would open any of the doors into the house. So i phoned the office. Apparently the vendors had called for the keys to empty out the stuff etc before closing of sale -and thats what they returned - the bunch keys I picked up from the Auctioneer. Auct called the vendors - who are elderly heirs of the vendor in fact - but nobody knows apparently about any keys gone lost. Is there a rule against this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Congrats. Anyone handy with DIY should be able to drill out the old barrel(s) or just snap them. Most locks in Ireland are very poor quality. You'll want to change the locks anyway. If you don't want to go down that route get a locksmith out, they will sort it very quickly.

No point going down any other route (legal etc) or wasting time messing around. Also now as a home owner this is the type of thing you'll have to be able to sort out from time to time. I remember climbing in the back window of a house a friend bought as the front door was nailed shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

MOONlit wrote: »
    I concluded the buying of a house last week. I went to collect the keys from the Auct. as agreed. He gave me an envelope full of keys. So we all drove off to celebrate etc. However, none of the keys would open any of the doors into the house. So i phoned the office. Apparently the vendors had called for the keys to empty out the stuff etc before closing of sale -and thats what they returned - the bunch keys I picked up from the Auctioneer. Auct called the vendors - who are elderly heirs of the vendor in fact - but nobody knows apparently about any keys gone lost. Is there a rule against this?

Get a locksmith out.
    It's good rule of thumb to change locks an a new property anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

best of luck op. looks like others have solved your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

stanley-kubric-film-fan-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Get a locksmith out.
    It's good rule of thumb to change locks an a new property anyway.

Get a locksmith out and instruct your solicitor to recover the cost from the vendors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you are going to get a locksmith ,get a high security barrell lock,
    its a bit more expensive than a standard lock, but more secure .
    the keys for it are kind of rectangular .
    You should tell the neighbour ,you are the new owner ,and may have to change the locks .
    Go to locksmith and buy the lock first.
    cost maybe 12 euro approx.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Charge the vendors for the expense and lack of amenity. The contract is not concluded until you can walk into the house. The agent should have kept a key themselves in any event. I would also complain to the PSRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Charge the vendors for the expense and lack of amenity. The contract is not concluded until you can walk into the house. The agent should have kept a key themselves in any event. I would also complain to the PSRA.

That would be pointless. The auctioneer gave the keys that they had already. Unfortunately what the vendors returned appear to be different but that is not the auctioneers fault.
    (Also, some vendors don't give keys at all and will insist on being present to allow access for viewings.)
    If a vendor asks for their keys back while it is still their house the auctioneer has to do so! Unfortunately there is not much they can do here for you apart from contacting the vendor to try and sort out what was hopefully just an honest mistake on the part of the vendor.
    But advice given would be to always change the locks so that is probably your quickest way of getting this sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ok if it is your house and only if its you house

if its a sticky out lock barrell http://locksmith-bristol.com/pextra_cylinder_with_se_and_cp.jpg
    then grap it with a vice grips and break off the front stick your finger in and open the door

if its a roundy one then drill it out or hammer and a punch

or ring them and tell them you mate Tigger is coming over to open the door and he's a bit of a klepto so they should move their gear

as posted above most irish locks arent worth a ****e i changed my Dads lock the day i saw how easy they are to force

After thought: the guy who moved out of my house left till the last day and scratched up my new home moving furniture. I was repainting anyway but...

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

That is outrageous behavior by the Vendor, they are obliged under the contract to provide you with keys to the property, they have failed to do so and thus failed to provide you with possession of the property, also a breach of the contract.

Call your solicitor and inform them if you have not already, then have the locks changed and take possession of the property. Finally have your solicitor send the the bill to the vendor. They won't pay it but you will have made your point and got your house.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

That would be pointless. The auctioneer gave the keys that they had already. Unfortunately what the vendors returned appear to be different but that is not the auctioneers fault.
    (Also, some vendors don't give keys at all and will insist on being present to allow access for viewings.)
    If a vendor asks for their keys back while it is still their house the auctioneer has to do so! Unfortunately there is not much they can do here for you apart from contacting the vendor to try and sort out what was hopefully just an honest mistake on the part of the vendor.
    But advice given would be to always change the locks so that is probably your quickest way of getting this sorted.

The vendors solicitor is obliged to hand over the keys on closing or arrange for it. It hasn't happened so there is a breach of contract by the vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is outrageous behaviour for sure. But what is the easiest thing to do about it? You can seek specific performance through your solicitor, but it is going to cost you a lot more than the locksmith fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

It is outrageous behaviour for sure. But what is the easiest thing to do about it? You can seek specific performance through your solicitor, but it is going to cost you a lot more than the locksmith fees.

not if you bill them for the extra fees too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

not if you bill them for the extra fees too

And what if they refuse to pay? Are you going to bring them to Court?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

I presume the funds have been paid. You should just get the locks changed and enjoy your new house. you will never get anything by chasing costs with the vendor. It's not worth it and you will have a bitter taste.
    Make sure all the bills have been changed.
    Don't bother keeping any post for them over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MOONlit

Many thanks for the advice. i'm away since and currently - so anger has receded.
    Iv decided that if i take them on - the stress will devour me as i am an introvert. The Auct and his clients, i know for a fact, are extroverts with lots of energy - so very thankful for the practical advice here also about the types of locks to have installed etc

Marcusm wrote: »
    Get a locksmith out and instruct your solicitor to recover the cost from the vendors.

Don't bother. You own the house now and you would be changing the locks anyway.

Getting involved in more litigation over silly things like this does you no good.

Enjoy your new home and you have a good story for telling on how you got there :)

Advertisement