Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground Fault?

Options
  • 31-10-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm asking for advice on a problem that started yesterday evening.... Apologies if I'm not describing it properly, I'm most definitely not an electrician!

The ground fault detector on my circuit board beside my socket rings started to trip. I (think I) figured out it was the kitchen / living room ring causing the issue by turning them all off and back on again one by one.

I plugged everything on the ring out from their sockets. Then flipped the breaker back up..... ground fault detector flipped again.

So I thought maybe some moisture got into a socket from a spillage or kitchen spray.... clutching at straws... I left the heating on for a few hours in an attempt to dry out my phantom spillage.

Went down this morning and flipped the breaker up.... success, or so I thought. 2 hours later and the ground fault detector flipped again. It's still the kitchen sockets causing the trip.

What should I do now? Except for running a hair dryer over some likely sockets I think I'm out of options and should call in someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colliemcc

Is it an mcb that is tripping or the rcd.?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ju_Ju

colliemcc wrote: »

I hope I'm correct... the RCD has the test button on it yes?

If so, then the RCD is tripping.

When I put it back up it trips straight away agaim. Then when I put the socket MCBs to the right of the RCD down and put the RCD back up, it stays up. Then when I put the socket MCBs up individually, the RCD trips when the kitchen ring one is put up.

I hope that makes sense.

Did you everything out including the fridge? Dish washer washing machine etc If so then something has gotten wet or there is a cable touching of something.

Did you everything out including the fridge? Dish washer washing machine etc If so then something has gotten wet or there is a cable touching of something.

• Advertisement

colliemcc wrote: »

I completely forgot about the bloody dishwasher.... The boss would say that's because I never fill it ☺

I'll unplug that and check for water damage now. Thanks.

So I also forgot about the microwave, which is in built on top of the oven with a fecker to reach plug down the back. Managed to unplug it and had another trip... so onto the dishwasher.

It's a built in dishwasher, so after a bit of messing with floor kickers, brackets and pinching of fingers I had it out from under the counter. Problem spotted...

The machine seems to have been pushed back too far and was flush against the plug. Over time this has heated up and melted through the protective casing on the dishwasher unit and through to the metal. I hope this was what was causing the trip.

I've replaced the plug and have everything turned back on with the dishwasher now on a different ring.

If we get a trip on the other ring, I'll know the dishwasher is still faulty.

If we get a trip on the kitchen ring, I don't know.... I'll probably cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

you may have found the fault but this may help others

on a rcd trip my first instinct is to make sure the immersion is turned off

Thanks for all the advice guys. The MCB and RCD are still tripping, even without anything (including the "faulty" dishwasher) plugged in.

I've been running the fridge and other appliances from another socket ring since Saturday night. I also put the MCB for the kitchen ring down. We've had no trips since...

There's something funky happening with that ring of sockets. Getting someone qualified in to look at this now.

If anyone on here is qualified and is interested, I've the job up on online tradesmen or get in contact here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement