Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to the traffic?!

Options
  • 31-10-2015 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Good morning folks,

Now i've only been living here for 1 year but recently (last 6 months) traffic just seems to have gone crazy especially around the Bon soc hospital, Dublin road heading east. It always was busy here but now its like the traffic lights are not sync'ed with each other and everyone stops in the yellow grid so when the lights go red for them nobody turning right onto the Dublin road can. But its not just here its obviously an issue all over the city. Is there ever a person monitoring all the traffic across the city maybe via cctv and then about to adjust the lights timing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What happened to the traffic is that college started. Happens ever year.

Yes, the council have installed co-ordinated lights, and there's a control centre in city hall. What we don't know if if they've started performing worse (I've heard rumours that one engineer left his/her job), or if the traffic volumes have grown yet further beyond what the road network can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Oh good, another traffic thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Oh good, another traffic thread.

At least the cyclists arent following in immediately. Must have combusted or something haha makes a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The traffic is also just plain increasing at a serious rate that the citys network can't really handle properly. The NRA says traffic in Galway has risen about 10% in the last six months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

At least the cyclists arent following in immediately. Must have combusted or something haha makes a change.

What traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You had to say it, didnt you!

The NRA says traffic in Galway has risen about 10% in the last six months.

With college starting back, I'd be surprised if it was only 10%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Well, if more did cycle there would be less traffic....

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭outsidein98

Apparently according to the local paper headline I saw recently the local traffic engineer or coordinator quit and got a job in Cork. But they didn't replace him in the grand tradition of Galway eff ups they didn't replace him. Hence the further traffic disaster that is Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

jjpep wrote: »
    Well, if more did cycle there would be less traffic....

Cyclists are traffic, too ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Heard the repeat Kieth Finnegan prog late one night/early morning last week. He was it seems in Chicago and was talking to some fellow from the NRA or council or some organisation about Galway traffic.

He was probably the most boring speaker I have ever heard. I can not remember anything he said-except the bit about the Moycullen road being blocked coz someone ran a red light. Wonder did anyone hear him or know who he was or if he said anything interesting? Yawn Zzzzz What?

I did notice myself traffic being much worse last week. I can't help wondering about how the roundabout at Col na Coirribe can be tolerated. How did it ever get to this? Trucks going around it with centimeters to spare. Salmon Weir bridge. How many more times will a bus or truck miss me by inches as I walk on the footpath? WORST OF ALL Cars parked on the double yellow lines at the roundabout (at the roundabout)in Salthill at Toffs with Garda station nearby and patrol cars passing. Don't they bother anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

bobbyss wrote: »
    Heard the repeat Kieth Finnegan prog late one night/early morning last week. He was it seems in Chicago and was talking to some fellow from the NRA or council or some organisation about Galway traffic.

He was probably the most boring speaker I have ever heard. I can not remember anything he said-except the bit about the Moycullen road being blocked coz someone ran a red light. Wonder did anyone hear him or know who he was or if he said anything interesting? Yawn Zzzzz What?

I did notice myself traffic being much worse last week. I can't help wondering about how the roundabout at Col na Coirribe can be tolerated. How did it ever get to this? Trucks going around it with centimeters to spare. Salmon Weir bridge. How many more times will a bus or truck miss me by inches as I walk on the footpath? WORST OF ALL Cars parked on the double yellow lines at the roundabout (at the roundabout)in Salthill at Toffs with Garda station nearby and patrol cars passing. Don't they bother anymore?

both the gardai and the traffic wardens make a fortune giving out tickets in salthill

both the gardai and the traffic wardens make a fortune giving out tickets in salthill

I don't know.

There are always cars parked on the roundabout there. What evidence do you have? How much of a 'fortune' do they make? How do you know? What exactly are the figures?

I don't know.

There are always cars parked on the roundabout there. What evidence do you have? How much of a 'fortune' do they make? How do you know? What exactly are the figures?

Well i was out there 2 weeks ago doing some business. If the few hours i was out there i saw the traffic warden issue a **** load of tickets a gardai on a motorbike doing the same and later on a squad car doing the same. Thats over about a 5 hour period.

Well i was out there 2 weeks ago doing some business. If the few hours i was out there i saw the traffic warden issue a **** load of tickets a gardai on a motorbike doing the same and later on a squad car doing the same. Thats over about a 5 hour period.

That's anecdotal. I have passed the spot many times and I have never ever seen any Garda presence there at all. Whatever is happening, there are always cars there. I have not been there today Sunday and very sunny. I would bet my bottom dollar there are cars there.

I wouldn't park on a double yellow anywhere in town because of the fine but that roundabout is so open and visible and so near a garda station you would be very naive to park there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Cyclists are traffic, too ;-)

Yes, fair point!

How about there would be less of the dangerous, road hogging, polluting type traffic 😊

That's anecdotal. I have passed the spot many times and I have never ever seen any Garda presence there at all. Whatever is happening, there are always cars there. I have not been there today Sunday and very sunny. I would bet my bottom dollar there are cars there.

I wouldn't park on a double yellow anywhere in town because of the fine but that roundabout is so open and visible and so near a garda station you would be very naive to park there.

To be fair that's I'm not sure you know the meaning of anecdotal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Traffic in the mornings was incredibly light last week. Schools off. Back to the usual gridlock tomorrow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

What are the stats on traffic in galway how many trips in and out of the City by day and hour ? And by what mode of transport ? Mainly car I expect ? How does that compare to other similar cities ? Can the numbers using modes e g bus or bike be increased ? If so how , are there cross city bus routes or employer sponsored buses or school or college buses within city limits or more of them ? Does n u i g or g m i t have bike schemes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Any whatapp, facebook or alike group that is community fed re traffic in the city ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Google maps traffic always seems spot on for me.

Always check routes if heading home late from work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If the colleges bring in so much of the traffic. Maybe it would be a good idea to hold lectures during the height of traffic...back in my day our student timetables were pretty spread out, or at least, they could be. I don't think it is the students, though.

I wonder if them eliminating the one way system has anything to do with the difference the OP is talking about..Since they state 6 months.

Galway is an oddity. 10% of Galway are on the live register. 20% of the cities population are students. There's more that are unemployed but aren't on the register due to getting their benefits from other means.

None of this is new, though. Unemployment in the city was 9% before the collapse. The student population was made up a significant part of the population. I can't see how Galway could have any sort of sustainable GOOD public transport system. The buses are sh1te. It would be tough to make them better without significant investment in the services and infrastructure. A bit tough when so many of the people using the public transport system aren't paying towards it...catch 22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Wompa1 wrote: »
    20% of the cities population are students.

That sounds too low.

NUIG: 17,318
    GMIT: 9000
    GTI: 1300
    Others: ?
    Total: 27,618

Galway City Population: 75,530

36.6% student population based on the above numbers from Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Council need to update the traffic camera server so that we could log in via our phones. Then you could check the traffic & decide what route to take.

J o e wrote: »

I reckon the 75k is an underestimate.

Anecdotally, lots of those students don't put themselves down as usually resident in Galway: they complete the census as though they still live with Mammy and Daddy, and are simply staying in Galway overnight.

There's also some significant census-resistance amount the unemployed / old here: I've heard "I'm not filling it it, they pay my benefit so they already know about me" a lot here, more than in other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yes, the council have installed co-ordinated lights, and there's a control centre in city hall.
    I don't really believe there's anybody watching. Maybe someones getting paid a salary to manage the lights but I don't think they actually do anything.

Galways traffic has been getting worse and worse every year. They've known for the past 20 years that Galways roads were inadequate and that Galways traffic would be increasing, but they've managed to do next to nothing to fix or prepare for it.

The traffics so bad it creates an every man for himself attitude to driving around the city. Galways dual carriageways seem to be some of the worst in the country for over taking lane hoggers. It's not even accidental, they simply don't give a flying fig for using the roads correctly.

The new roads in the works should improve things but it's probably too little too late. It's the same in every major town in the west, our road network just isn't up to the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

That sounds too low.

Fair point. The 20% is something I've seen NUIG list but maybe they meant just their own students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

That sounds too low.

You're forgetting that an awful lot of those students wouldn't be full time. And another sizable chunk will be commuting on a daily basis from the likes of Headford/Tuam/Gort etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

The bypass needs to be started asap. Its becoming a farce at this stage. Business is suffering. Fridays are now a day where i and others i know simply don't do business meetings cause the traffic is so bad. Sure a few more people on bicycles is fine but its not going to help.

We need the bypass. Jobs and growth are going to stagnate if this isnt addressed sooner rather then later.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

flynnlives wrote: »
    The bypass needs to be started asap. Its becoming a farce at this stage. Business is suffering. Fridays are now a day where i and others i know simply don't do business meetings cause the traffic is so bad. Sure a few more people on bicycles is fine but its not going to help.

We need the bypass. Jobs and growth are going to stagnate if this isnt addressed sooner rather then later.

Probably true
    But not going to happen for a couple of years yet
    In the meantime why don't the City council and chamber etc get together with all the big employers and provide low cost or free buses to staff certain times . Both colleges h s e big factories etc serving west and East of city key spots . And the schools .
    Put on cross city buses
    Use park and rides
    Not everyone needs to drive
    The city is tiny and short of building seven lane superhighways through the entire town needs to force or push people into public transport
    It's not big enough for all the cars to fit into in the periods they want to

Advertisement