Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this dangerous?

Options
  • 31-10-2015 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi all,

sorry, I am absolutely foolish about things like this...

Ok so, the gf has a GHD straightener and the top point (which is the earth terminal, i think?) of the plug randomly fell off. She is going out tonight and I have never (i know) replaed a plug. I can get the plug into the socket no bother through using a double adapter and a key (obviously doing plugging it into the double adapter before plugging it in properly). Is that dangerous? As in, is it dangerous to plug in an appliance without the top point being there?

Thanks
    R

Comments

Was it a plastic or metal earth pin that broke?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Plastic! I put it into a double adapter and then plugged it in and it's working. Would the double adapter make it safe?

Nothing to worry about the earth isn't wired. That pin is only to release the socket lock. It's a fully insulated appliance.

If you find this symbol on it then you don't need the earth.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTtmlY_tGUN3yi2AU3tQ66VO8KIkYApZcenvnaufCoE2uVzpKPdDHGAQ

Just inconvenient. Easy wire a plug; the lively brown bear danced under the blue neutral sky on the green earth. Probably against the law do it yerself though...still better than sticking keys in sockets if you ask me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Regardless whether it was Class II it is not acceptable or safe to use a damaged plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Regardless whether it was Class II it is not acceptable or safe to use a damaged plug.

Depends on who is plugging it in really, and what the actual damage is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Bruthal wrote: »
    Depends on who is plugging it in really, and what the actual damage is.

LOL. It goes against all good practise and health and safety legislation (although a homeowner may be exempt from this) to knowingly use damaged accessories. It certainly shouldn't be encouraged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Risteard81 wrote: »
    LOL. It goes against all good practise and health and safety legislation (although a homeowner may be exempt from this) to knowingly use damaged accessories. It certainly shouldn't be encouraged.

True, but if everything that breaks legislation was dangerous, and everything that doesnt isn't, then legislators have indeed done a good job. Overall we would agree I'm sure.

Advertisement