Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaming mouse/keyboard + headset

• 31-10-2015 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Hi I've decided to be sensible and get my christmas shopping done early for once:)

Looking for suggestions for a decent gaming keyboard and mouse as well as a headset.Ideally the headset can work on PS3/4 too(I occasionally mix it up with console peasants:P ).

Have about 300 euro all in.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

There's many really damn good mechanical keyboards you can get for under 100 if you're not looking for the rainbow backlights . Plenty of macros and other features.

I'm using a Razer Blackwidow. It's not the cheapest around (I got it for €80 non-backlit verision) and sells a bit on brand but it's a very solid mechanical KB. 5 macros on the left, NUMPAD. Has rebinding drivers/software with a GUI however it's closed source and tries to push an account on you. Also no Linux support (typical Razer) for these features which sucks donkey balls. Has a handy USB slot, MIC IN and Headphone Jack on the right side. I use all 3 constantly.

If I was to buy again I'd get one a little cheaper or a lesser known brand with maybe a few more features and linux support or macros that work out of Windows. It kinda arcs upwards from bottom to top like an audience stand. Not nearly as much as when people put the stands up on a keyboard (ergonomic fatality!) but I would've preferred if it was a little more flat. Love the font and style of the media keys.

For mouse, I went with Perixx MX-2000. Cheap as I could without sacrificing quality. Definitely happy with this purchase all around. Probably the most value for money piece of hardware I got for my setup. Just the right amount of macro keys, comfortable design and came with extra weights you can fit into the butt of the mouse if you want to add or subtract weight to give it a different feeling in weight. I have 3/6 weights in it. They're about the size of a laser battery but with a little more depth (and heavier obviously). 5000DPI suitable for enthusiast gaming. The DPI is adjustable on-the-fly thanks to buttons below the mouse wheel (which itself can be leaned left or right with bindings of your choice) but even the dpi buttons can be rebound to something else if you don't think you'll be changing it mid-use. For the £24/€33 I payed for it seeing it come with the weights and the driver support was above and beyond. I haven't tried to rebind it when in Linux so I don't know what the support is there but I do know that it didn't matter to me since it has a small bit of on-board flash memory because one of the bindings I changed on it carried over to Linux. (it was F8 on the single button on the right). I could take this mouse anywhere and the macros/sensitivity would be the same.

I don't think this exact model is sold anymore but there's similar models that seem to have the same features and look almost identical so I'd wager they're a safe investment.

For headsets I can't recommend too much. Mostly they're all meh if you're in any way particular about sound quality. Some aren't bad... but they're just not for enthusiasts. If you care about sound, don't get a headset, just get a solid pair of headphones and attach a mic yourself with something like http://www.modmic.com/products/modmic-4-0-omni-directional

There's other solutions to that now these days as well as ways of doing it at home, ghetto style if you have mics lying around. This will probably make it not compatible with your console gaming, however. They make a lot of their money on proprietary or licenses like that with PS3/4 compatible headsets. There is a bit more support these days if it's USB, though. Me sis has to have two seperate mics for 360 and PC because of that dumbass non-standard connection on the 360 pad for mics.

Good luck with finding a good KB/M/Headset setup :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I like my Logitech stuff, I always find them good quality/value.

Mouse: Logitech G502. Nice comfortable mouse, feels good in the hand, has enough buttons to be useful (including a nice sniper button for the thumb so you can reduce DPI whilst it's pressed) but not so many buttons that it's ridiculous like some of those Razor mice. Can switch dpi on the fly and has weights so you can tinker until you have a mouse that feels just right. Also it's lit up and you can make the light pulsate etc if you're into that sorta thing. Completely useless if you're a lefty however as it's right hand orientated.

Keyboard: Logitech 510s. It looks purdy, it's backlit with any colour under the sun. Has a whole gamut of macro type keys I never actually use and an LCD screen which runs on certain games and displays things like lives etc, or, you can just set it to a clock. It feels nice to use, it's not noisy oh and it doesn't crap out if you hold down more than one key at a time when you game.

Headset: Logitech 930. Comfortable, wireless, good build quality that I can see for the price and battery last a nice time but can also be used when charging. Soundwise, it takes a small bit of tinkering out of the box and it's a little tinny, I was a bit underwhelmed with the bass but I did have to remind myself as well that it's hardly expensive and at the end of the day I mostly use it for voicecomms. Oh and because it's wireless if you do intend to use it for games audio it's a bit fiddly to switch between it and desktop speakers because you're not pulling out any cables to make the OS revert to whatever is the next default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I have G510s really nice keyboard with many many buttons I dont use (at least 30). The screen is the best thing about it get LCDsirreal plugin for it, very handy (CPU, GPU temps and who is talking in TS)

G600 mouse which I actually hate, has a stupid amount of buttons. Seemingly great for MMOs but I dont play them and wife seen gaming and bought it :(

Use Sennheiser headphones and USB free standing mic, which wont help with console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I have been hearing very good things about the final mouse. I would say figure out the type of gaming you do and adjust your budget %'s to suit it. If its mostly fps you play then mouse will be where you spend most money and then headset with keyboard least. but i would always say go with a mech keyboard regardless.

Personally I use G502 mouse.... i love it but id give the final mouse a try if i was to buy today
    I have a set of sennheiser PC350 headphones
    Razer blackwidow keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Have a look at the roccat nyth, reviews are good and seems like a good bit of kit, I'm using a Logitech g700s and really like it,
    Also use a g510 nice keyboard, non mechanical tho
    Use a razer orbweaver too and just love it, comfortable and great for a noob to keyboard like me
    As for headset, if u can just get one for PC and a separate one for console just less hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I've been a Logitech fanboy for the last 10 years or so.
    I think my Keyboard is still a G15 , mouse is G5 (on my 3rd one now) ...I don't like the upgraded versions.
    Headset...G35 back home, couldn't find them here....so had to get G430.

All work very well, very comfortable, never had issues, have great life in them...can't recommend them enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

SeantheMan wrote: »
    mouse is G5 (on my 3rd one now)

have great life in them...

obviously not :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Skerries wrote: »
    obviously not :D

My own fault for throwing 1 across the room. The other I left back in Ireland when I moved here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

I recently got myself a Logitech G510s Keyboard, G502 Proteus Core and Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 Gaming headset all for around your price OP.

Can't fault any of them but I'd highly recommend the HyperX's, really comfortable to wear, have everything you'd want in the box, they come with a dolby 7.1 usb sound card and the difference it makes when gaming is ridiculous, they can be used on consoles (PS3/4) as well as phone. The only thing that is slightly annoying is my HTC doesn't recognise them so you've to fiddle with the connection a bit until they are recognised, but that's a HTC issue!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

use curiua.com if you are buying from Amazon as it finds the cheapest price across the european versions of amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

For headsets I can't recommend too much. Mostly they're all meh if you're in any way particular about sound quality. Some aren't bad... but they're just not for enthusiasts. If you care about sound, don't get a headset, just get a solid pair of headphones and attach a mic yourself with something like http://www.modmic.com/products/modmic-4-0-omni-directional
    That.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I have a Logitech Mouse and mat and I love them, I've heard nothing but good things about there other stuff, plus they have a customer support phone line (lots of gaming accessory's company's only have an online ticket system).

If you check Amazon you'll find there stuff cheaper then from there own site.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

No one's suggesting a mechanical keyboard? I have a CM Storm Quickfire TK with Brown switches - one of the best investments I ever made. Comes in and out to work with me cause if you're going to pay €90 for a keyboard, you may as well use it all the time (and I do a lot of typing in my job). Don't let the shorter size put you off, I don't miss the number pad at all, within a single day I was convinced that this form factor is more than up to the task (it's a combo of the Home/End & Arrows etc and the standard 14 key number pad and the Numlock key switches between both modes). I would never, ever go back to a membrane keyboard, they're like typing into a bowl of custard with keys made of sponge.

Mice - I've got a Logitech G700 - the 4 thumb buttons are something I don't think I'll ever be able to give up now. Logitech's stuff is solid, they've got an R&D Office here in Ireland (my friend works there in mouse design - you can apply to be a tester) and they've been putting out great products for a lot of years.

Headset - I can't help you there I'm afraid, I've got a podcast recording mic (a Blue Snowball if you're interested) and I'm either using my 5.1 (Logitech Z5500's) or I plug my earbuds in if there's sound from the speakers being picked up by the mic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Shiminay wrote: »
    No one's suggesting a mechanical keyboard?

What's that? I can't hear you over all that clicking :pac:

In all seriousness - they're not necessary. If you've tried them and like how they feel then great - go for it. I'm not a believer in these magical benefits people keep harping on about. Personally I'll take my stupidly cheap "custard and sponge" that's done just fine for every bit of gaming and use I've thrown at it over the last decade.

Logitech mice though - there's a solid bet. I still use the MX518 I bought 10 years ago. If I had to replace it, I'd be getting a G400s or G5 as a direct replacement. Their new G402/502 just look like they're trying to emulate alien spacecraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

No one's suggesting a mechanical keyboard? I have a CM Storm Quickfire TK with Brown switches - one of the best investments I ever made. Comes in and out to work with me cause if you're going to pay €90 for a keyboard, you may as well use it all the time (and I do a lot of typing in my job). Don't let the shorter size put you off, I don't miss the number pad at all, within a single day I was convinced that this form factor is more than up to the task (it's a combo of the Home/End & Arrows etc and the standard 14 key number pad and the Numlock key switches between both modes). I would never, ever go back to a membrane keyboard, they're like typing into a bowl of custard with keys made of sponge.

Maybe people don't like having to listen to a noise similar to a 1940s typewriter when they hit a key.

I was going to buy a mechanical but after listening to them on youtube etc I decided I'd drive myself mental and my GF would likely take it and throw it out the window.

EDIT: Do you work in close proximity to others? If someone in my workplace whacked down a mech keyboard next to me and typed away on it I'd be swiftly telling them to get back on the ****ty Dell :)

I was exclusively Logitech mouse user since 1989. Last time I used a Logitech mouse was in 2010. Reason? Last 3 were having problems with left buttons. All of them, exactly the same issue after 6-8 months. I know that older mice were great, I still have my MX518 in working condition, but lately Logitech puts more effort on design than quality.

As for the mechanical keyboard, it is not a hype as mentioned. If you are playing competitive FPS, there is no alternative. Simple as that. Can't tell about other type of games though. About the noise now, I work in close proximity with others, and none has issues with my typing (once you go mechanical, you never go back, so I got one for work too). If some of you colleagues having issues with the clik-clak, you can get some O-Rings, that make the noise disappear. Simple as that.

One of the reasons I have Brown switches is that they're the least clicky and noisy. The keyboard doesn't make much more noise than the membrane Dell's that everyone else has. There was a time when 3 people in our older and bigger office had DAS' with blue switches, they were loud. As Wizard says, the O-Rings are a very inexpensive and straightforward fix if anyone's getting pissy. The difference though is staggering - I make a lot less typos too.

One of the reasons I have Brown switches is that they're the least clicky and noisy. The keyboard doesn't make much more noise than the membrane Dell's that everyone else has. There was a time when 3 people in our older and bigger office had DAS' with blue switches, they were loud. As Wizard says, the O-Rings are a very inexpensive and straightforward fix if anyone's getting pissy. The difference though is staggering - I make a lot less typos too.

As someone who has no idea how to start modding my KB, can you tell me where you got brown switches and how exactly you install them? I've heard good things about red, too.

You do not need to mod your keyboard. You can find many models offered with a variety of switches, so you can choose anyone you like.

I am using REDs. They are the softer, so you may need time to get used to them. At the beginning I was making lots of typos.

I'm happy enough with the keyboard I have I just thought I'd try different switches from what I've heard about how they change the feel.

Is it impossible to mod like that?

Also I'd like recommendations on where to buy key caps... I was thinking of adding some different colours and textures to my typical gaming keys.

• Advertisement

Keyboard company has a lot of stuff: http://www.keyboardco.com/index.asp
    Also here: http://pimpmykeyboard.com
    And here: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/category/cateogry1-name/catId=3982960

Changing the switches requires lots of soldering. Not a good idea.

Keycap sets here: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keycap-set.html

Changing switches, I honestly don't know, I'm not sure if it's suggested as an end user replaceable part. A quick Google found this: http://imgur.com/a/fyxIg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Wizard! wrote: »
    I was exclusively Logitech mouse user since 1989. Last time I used a Logitech mouse was in 2010. Reason? Last 3 were having problems with left buttons. All of them, exactly the same issue after 6-8 months. I know that older mice were great, I still have my MX518 in working condition, but lately Logitech puts more effort on design than quality.

As for the mechanical keyboard, it is not a hype as mentioned. If you are playing competitive FPS, there is no alternative. Simple as that. Can't tell about other type of games though. About the noise now, I work in close proximity with others, and none has issues with my typing (once you go mechanical, you never go back, so I got one for work too). If some of you colleagues having issues with the clik-clak, you can get some O-Rings, that make the noise disappear. Simple as that.

Why is a mechanical keyboard essential for competitive fps?

It seems everybody thinks you need 5 million dpi mouse,mech this that and the other and a massively high refresh rate monitors to even attempt to play fps games these days.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Why is a mechanical keyboard essential for competitive fps?

It seems everybody thinks you need 5 million dpi mouse,mech this that and the other and a massively high refresh rate monitors to even attempt to play fps games these days.

Twitch reflex gaming basically. That and back in the day, Quake 3's movement speed was directly tied to your framerate, so you absolutely had to have a solid 125 FPS (the max the engine allowed) all the time - I think it's a bit of a hangover from that tbh. I'd argue that Starcraft or League or DotA are just as twitchy as FPS' and that any equipment gains in one would replicate across to the other.

As for the mechanical keyboard, it is not a hype as mentioned. If you are playing competitive FPS, there is no alternative. Simple as that. Can't tell about other type of games though.

Go on then, explain that. Sounds like utter nonsense to me, and here's why:

Mechanical keyboards weren't around when the best FPS players and competitive FPS games were at their peak. Fatal1ty, vo0, Stermy, Cooller, team fnatic, dignitas... take your pick - you can't tell me any one of them had mechanical keyboards.

More than likely some were still using 120hz CRT monitors. Most used whatever they were paid to use by their sponsors, and it's the same now.

Also as someone that was for a time the best UT2k4 1v1 player in the country and did so using a membrane and WIRELESS keyboard which cost less than a fiver - I call bullshít. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Twitch reflex gaming basically. That and back in the day, Quake 3's movement speed was directly tied to your framerate, so you absolutely had to have a solid 125 FPS (the max the engine allowed) all the time - I think it's a bit of a hangover from that tbh. I'd argue that Starcraft or League or DotA are just as twitchy as FPS' and that any equipment gains in one would replicate across to the other.

Id agree that a high refresh rate monitor is desirable and in most cases,even preferable but i wouldnt say essential. Never did play Quake back in the day but that sounds very unbalanced for a competitive fps game!!

Mechanical keyboards weren't around when the best FPS players and competitive FPS games were at their peak. Fatal1ty, vo0, Stermy, Cooller, team fnatic, dignitas... take your pick - you can't tell me any one of them had mechanical keyboards.

800cc bikes with 250bhp weren't around when the best riders were at their peak. Giacomo Agostini, Mick Doohan, Wayne Rainey, Eddie Lawson... take your pick. You can't tell me any one of them had 250bhp bikes.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Have to agree with people saying go to a mechanical keyboard. I got a K95 from Corsair for my 18th and have been loving the tactile feedback on the keys, my WPM went up by about 10 too but of course that's just me. I used a keyboard in school about a week later and it felt really bad compared to the cherry brown switches since I had already got used to not having to fully press the keys.

As for noise I'm still pretty noisy when typing but if I went slower it sounds as loud as my brother's razer deathstalker. Going slower doesn't make it quieter though by the way, it just means I only press them down to the 2mm point.

The K95 is probably a bit overkill though for people given it has 18 G keys but I've found uses for about 14 of them so far on my default profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Spending that sort of money on a keyboard and not getting a mechanical is silly. The noise is not bad at all unless you get blues which are very clacky. Browns aren't loud and they're optimal for gaming, plus rubber o-rings can be used if you still think its too loud.

Personally I have the Corsair m65 rgb mouse, and I love it. I couldn't recomend anything better, as I'm really happy with it. However I would suggest looking at the razer deathadder, yes they're plain, yes they're expensive, and apparently quite brittle, but aside form the hate they often get they seem to be a popular choice. Anyone I know who has one absolutely loves theirs. the logitech g502 looks amazing too.

Tl:dr Get mechanical keyboard, and mouse really depends on the games you play.

• Advertisement

800cc bikes with 250bhp weren't around when the best riders were at their peak. Giacomo Agostini, Mick Doohan, Wayne Rainey, Eddie Lawson... take your pick. You can't tell me any one of them had 250bhp bikes.

:rolleyes:

So what you're saying is - you have absolutely nothing to back up the statement that "there is no alternative to a mechanical keyboard for competitive FPS gaming"

Yup, that's what I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

f5a3309ff72782bd6618b816ba7d3d7f231a2867aa56ff51d4d78d2a2321dd41.jpg

:) :P:pac::pac:
    Thanks for all the advice...will look into those keyboards/mice/headsets.

My son already has a decent stand alone mike so might be happy enough with a good headset .

Regarding the keyboard/mouse he mainly plays FPS's but also RTS's and DOTA2 so a programmable keyboard wouldnt go unused.

Not sure if I'll get mechanical though.....:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Go for the Logitech g710+ and logitech mouse combo, you won't be disappointed and they have great customer service,

So what you're saying is - you have absolutely nothing to back up the statement that "there is no alternative to a mechanical keyboard for competitive FPS gaming"

Yup, that's what I thought.

You did not think though that your "statement" was out of the question.
    No need to "argue" with you, as you cannot even understand the concept here.
    You compare 2 TOTALLY different things, gaming before 10-15 years and now.
    Learn the basics (input lag, net lag, monitor lag, server lag, server tickrate), and then you can have an argument if you want.
    You can start from here:
    http://www.ergopedia.ca/ergonomic_concepts/Mechanical_Keyswitches_Membrane_Keyswitches_and_Scissor_Switch_Membrane_Keyswitches_Ergonomic_Considerations.html

Not sure if I'll get mechanical though.....:P

You'll wonder how you ever did without one if you do decide to get one. Membrane feels like my fingertips are eating garbage.

No need to "argue" with you, as you cannot even understand the concept here.
    You really expect anyone to understand when you claim something as absolute fact with nothing to back it up? And then you continue to refuse to provide any explanation as "you cannot even understand the concept here".

GG WP. You're totally winning this one mate :pac:

You compare 2 TOTALLY different things, gaming before 10-15 years and now.
    Indeed. With very good reason - those players were great not because of their keyboards, but because of skill and intelligence. luxxiz on a membrane keyboard vs me on a mechanical keyboard - I will still lose 100% of those games.
    Learn the basics (input lag, net lag, monitor lag, server lag, server tickrate), and then you can have an argument if you want.

Ah, great - some gaming theory. Do let me know when you've found someone that has won anything by knowing the basics of gaming theory. You may be a while waiting though. I think you'll find that skill is more practical in the real world of gaming.

I'll give you a hint as to the kind of people that whinge about "input lag" when they're killed though.
    shít noobs

• Advertisement

I'll give you a hint as to the kind of people that whinge about "input lag" when they're killed though.
    shít noobs

In fairness fighting games are completely different when you introduce input lag of any kind. Whether it be from a laggy HDTV, wireless latency or if playing online it absolutely changes how the game plays and feels.

Anyway enthusiast peripherals for responsive gaming isn't about being better than anyone else. It's not supposed to be about getting a high end keyboard or whatever and thinking you're going to be leet with it. It's just about reducing latency and improve control responsiveness in any way you can, every time you can. It's to tear down anything between you and your inputs to the game. So you play at the top of YOUR game... which in the end may or may not be anything to write home about in the first place.

Ah, great - some gaming theory. Do let me know when you've found someone that has won anything by knowing the basics of gaming theory. You may be a while waiting though. I think you'll find that skill is more practical in the real world of gaming.
    Since you cannot understand because you probably do not want to understand, and just writing nonsense, obviously because you have no idea, let me explain the basics of comparison.

You CANNOT compare two different things and the claim that you have results. You ain't got notin' (© Al Capone)
    If you want to compare a "sh1ty wireless membrane keyboard" vs a good mechanical keyboard, you have to eliminate ALL other aspects that may affect the result, such as:

1. Internet connection: Fatal1ty was playing Q3 on a 256-1024kbps internet connection with a lag of about 200-300ms from client to server. Today, most of the players have a >10mbps connection and less than 50ms lag.

2. Player skill: It is at least bad practice to compare two different players. Fatal1ty and today's' champs.

3. Opponents: You have to collect statistics from various games, with the same group of players in order to get some safe reports.

4. Hardware: Must be the same on all occasions and change ONLY ONE component, to be able to extract valid information about how important is this component, or the differences between different ones.

So, to sum up, you simply cannot compare Fatal1ty playing Q3, on a 1024kbps connection with some 250ms lag, on an Intel P3/P4 with a Riva TNT Pro and a membrane keyboard, with You/Me, playing BF4 on a 100mpbs fibre with <20ms lag, on a i7 5820 with a nVidia 980ti and a mechanical keyboard. You just cannot. Apples to apples!

If you want to compare how good is a mechanical keyboard vs a membrane one, get a group of players, with the SAME hardware, the SAME connection and let some of them play few rounds with the one keyb, and then the SAME players a few rounds with the other. Then, and ONLY then, you can extract some safe report about which one is better.

End of gaming 101 session.

Fantastic. So when you've done all that and should the result be an actual tangible benefit in favour of mechanical keyboards - then you can claim they're better for a fact. Until you've done all that though, quit with the absolutes "there is no alternative for FPS gaming".

And FYI - when someones first response is asking you to explain how you arrived at that statement, they probably DO want to understand ;)

I have not done all that, but after a week, when I changed a good membrane keyboard to a good mechanical, I noticed the difference in my results and believe me it was obvious. So, same player, same connection, same mouse, same pc, same monitor, same server, same opponents (at least some of them), but different keyboard and the result was better scores, not to say about how much better was the feeling and feedback.

FYI it depends if it is an honest question, or they just criticizing your choices without doing a simple research first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well this has gone places.

In terms of for the OP. I use the following:

CM Storm Qckfire Tenkeyless mechanical keyboard.
    Logitech G500 MMO mouse
    Steelseries Sibera V2.

I moved to mechanical a few years ago and won't buy anything else. Will go into more detail later.

I had a Razer Deathadder. Really dont like Razer as a company and wasn't mad about this mouse when I bought it. Was some durability issues and in truth I was dieing to replace it. Chuffed with my Logitech. Had an MX518 before, not sure why i went with a different manafacturer. Probably just wanted to test Razer out.

Using Siberia's since they came on the scene. I'm not an audiophile and find them perfect. So no rush to change. Although heard great things about the Kingston Hyper X

Now about mechanical keyboards. first in response to Challengemaster, who is acting like some 13 year old back in 1.6 days around here. Of course skill is going to be the big benefactor and differential. But these products, and any R&D is never targetted at the elite, it's aimed at the masses trying to be the elite.

Golfing equipment, football boots, race driving. Pretty much anything you can think off that is a high end sport of competitive scene, that has a reliance on equipment, the R&D and revenue is from developing products that help the average gamer, be that bit better.

Personally I simply consider a mechanical keyboard better then membrane. I dont need to see any sort of "evidence" I just know I'm better on one. I type faster on one, I feel more response from them, and I just feel that bit better using one.

I don't think it's correct to make an extreme statement saying they are a must. But they are beneficial and really nice pieces of equipment. Of course the price point puts a lot of people off, but your buying durability and in most cases (unless you buyer razer) quality.

As Challenege says regarding UT, I also played some games at a pretty high level, mostly WC3, and did so using a membrane keyboard. Because that is what I grew accustomed too. However from both playing LAN's, but also travelling to some events abroad when I worked briefly in the scene, mechanical keyboards were pretty commonplace. The old IBM's were favorites for many. And I know this was the case in CS also.

The elite players will play with whatever they are comfy with, or nowadays, whatever sponsor is paying the most money. But the benefits and development isn't aimed at them. If you actually want like research and ****, go use google. I'm not digging up years of stuff for you. Mechanical keyboards are deemed superior because the input is faster, and because they can manage more inputs at once. The specifics might be miniscule, but its still a difference. And when you factor that into games with high APM, where you are making 150-200 APM's then it can make a world of difference. For FPS games, I don't think a mechanical makes all that much difference, mice are where you get some benefits there.

I've not met a friend and or person I know playing games who has moved to mechanical, and hasn't been impressed by the all round performance improvement.

• Advertisement

Despite the dig, if I could thank that post twice, thrice, or even ten times - I would. Reason being it's the most logical, honest and well explained post regarding mechanical keyboard choice I've seen on boards.

I've never questioned anyone saying that there's less input lag, you can concurrently hit more keys, they're faster for typing or they're more tactile - these are all facts. I'd be an idiot to question those. That you and others prefer them and notice a difference - again I won't argue, you're entitled to your own thoughts. I'm not the mind police :P
    Mechanical keyboards are deemed superior because the input is faster, and because they can manage more inputs at once. The specifics might be miniscule, but its still a difference. And when you factor that into games with high APM, where you are making 150-200 APM's then it can make a world of difference. For FPS games, I don't think a mechanical makes all that much difference, mice are where you get some benefits there.
    That is all I ask for in the mech vs membrane debate - honesty when it comes to game benefits (no less a debate in a gaming forum). No ludicrous and unsupported statements thrown around as fact.

The reason being this: People (like the OP) who ask for advice will buy mechanical keyboards if they believe they're getting an actual benefit in games - which they keep being told by apparently seasoned gamers. They probably wouldn't spend the same amount of money on a keyboard apart from that. If they want them to have the best, for low input lag, for better touch typing, for more key-presses, better quality & duarbility; that's all fine. I just believe it's wholly unfair to potentially piss away someone else's money because they've been peddled a load of horsecrap about benefits in (FPS) games.

So thank you, Doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Despite the dig, if I could thank that post twice, thrice, or even ten times - I would. Reason being it's the most logical, honest and well explained post regarding mechanical keyboard choice I've seen on boards.

I've never questioned anyone saying that there's less input lag, you can concurrently hit more keys, they're faster for typing or they're more tactile - these are all facts. I'd be an idiot to question those. That you and others prefer them and notice a difference - again I won't argue, you're entitled to your own thoughts. I'm not the mind police :P

That is all I ask for in the mech vs membrane debate - honesty when it comes to game benefits (no less a debate in a gaming forum). No ludicrous and unsupported statements thrown around as fact.

The reason being this: People (like the OP) who ask for advice will buy mechanical keyboards if they believe they're getting an actual benefit in games - which they keep being told by apparently seasoned gamers. They probably wouldn't spend the same amount of money on a keyboard apart from that. If they want them to have the best, for low input lag, for better touch typing, for more key-presses, better quality & duarbility; that's all fine. I just believe it's wholly unfair to potentially piss away someone else's money because they've been peddled a load of horsecrap about benefits in (FPS) games.

So thank you, Doc.

No worries. The dig was only because it sounded like you did know the differences, but were goading the other guy to try explain it :)

In terms of expenditure, I never understand people who skimp on keyboards and mice and headsets. It's like buying a BMW and then looking to get cheap tyres. Input devices are the bread and butter for your Pc, your one and only input to the big fancy PC you have probably built, so don't skimp there.

If your sweating over spending €100 on a keyboard, I'd somewhat argue why anyone is asking about them in the first place. Just go buy a €10 bargain bin job.

I'll always question value in things I buy, so for example I don't value paying more for Razer products for simply their name. Despite the history and user stories of them being problematic and not lasting very long.

But I think it's worth mentioning mech keyboards because while they arn't getting cheaper, membrane boards have dramatically rose in price by providing little gimmicks here and there, and not actually doing anything with the technology.

So if its between spending €80 on a membrane or €120 on a mech, its a no brainer for me.

But if anyone is sweating absolute bullets trying to justify spending €100+ on a keyboard, I'd advise them to just grab some bargain bin keyboard. It will serve them fine, and when the situation gets better financially they can look at something else.

Also worth noting that a lot of Pc enthusiasts have money to burn, or don't think anything of dropping wads of cash on something. So its always worth finding out the budget of an OP like question to see where they sit. I've a friend who buys Alienware because he cant be arsed building himself, wants a warranty, and wants something to work out of the box.

You could argue the toss with him all day and his reply would be just dropping €2k on a new rig every three years is absolutely insignificant in terms of his finances and spending power.

Advertisement