Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sport with student in schools

• 31-10-2015 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

Hello.

I'm taking up a PCGE / School Direct program starting 2016. My question is, can any teacher take students for sports, or only PE teachers? I would like to help out with school athletics etc, but as of yet I have no PE qualifications.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

discus wrote: »
    Hello.

I'm taking up a PCGE / School Direct program starting 2016. My question is, can any teacher take students for sports, or only PE teachers? I would like to help out with school athletics etc, but as of yet I have no PE qualifications.

Is it extra curricular activity you are talking about? If so yes anyone can put their name forward. Usually teachers will get involved in activities they hold an interest in themselves as they will have some knowledge and experience of the sport that they can pass on.
    Its a great way to connect with the kids, but remember you are doing it voluntarily on your own free time, so don't let anyone take advantage of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Hello.

You couldn't teach a PE class, but you certainly could take extra-curricular activities. But be careful not to get on the wrong side of your colleagues; in many schools, staff have given up offering their free time for this since they are forced to stay in detention every week, so you don't want to be getting on the wrong side of people by breaking an unofficial embargo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

katydid wrote: »
    You couldn't teach a PE class, but you certainly could take extra-curricular activities. But be careful not to get on the wrong side of your colleagues; in many schools, staff have given up offering their free time for this since they are forced to stay in detention every week, so you don't want to be getting on the wrong side of people by breaking an unofficial embargo.

theres no unofficial embargo going on, people are free to do what they like. Sure, some have given up extra curricular, but thats down to personal choice.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    theres no unofficial embargo going on, people are free to do what they like. Sure, some have given up extra curricular, but thats down to personal choice.
    There is in some schools. I know people who work in them, and the staff has collectively decided not to engage in extra curricular activity as long as the Croke Park hours are in place. The schools in question have had to hire in outsiders to do sports coaching etc. and things like choir or debating no longer take place.

It's not everywhere, obviously; but the OP should at least be aware that it may be an issue in the school they are going to be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Thanks guys, I appreciate the honest insights here. I know many of you hold different opinions, but please use this thread to air them - I'd like to know what I'm getting into. Glossy brochures and golden handshakes hide these things!

Does Ireland suffer from the same sort of bureaucracy that the UK does under OFSTED? I have met a few teachers over here and from what I hear, the paperwork in unreal.

Also, reference this -
    in many schools, staff have given up offering their free time for this since they are forced to stay in detention every week,

How many hours a week is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Gebgbegb wrote: »

+1 never heard of this anywhere (not saying it doesn't happen) just never once heard of it

Thanks guys, I appreciate the honest insights here. I know many of you hold different opinions, but please use this thread to air them - I'd like to know what I'm getting into. Glossy brochures and golden handshakes hide these things!

Does Ireland suffer from the same sort of bureaucracy that the UK does under OFSTED? I have met a few teachers over here and from what I hear, the paperwork in unreal.

Also, reference this -

How many hours a week is that?
    The paperwork isn't quite as bad here as in the UK - yet...

Under the Croke Park agreement, teachers were obliged to spend one hour a week in meetings after school hours. One hour isn't much, but the fact that all the hours they give for nothing for extra-curricular activities is totally disregarded, and the hour can't be used for these or for CPD (with a few exceptions). With that, and an obligation to do two hours supervision/substitution for nothing as well, many teachers, on an individual basis or collectively have decided not to co-operate with extra curricular activities on top of these three unpaid hours.

It will vary from school to school; all I'm saying is try to suss out the lie of the land before committing yourself to anything.

seavill wrote: »
    +1 never heard of this anywhere (not saying it doesn't happen) just never once heard of it
    I know of one school where it was a collective staff decision, and one where most of the teachers have pulled out, though not all.

No doubt it varies around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

But be careful not to get on the wrong side of your colleagues

How bad can it get if you do cross them? Apart from the silent treatment in the staff room?

How bad can it get if you do cross them? Apart from the silent treatment in the staff room?
    Oh, I have no idea. It would totally vary from staff room to staff room. And to be honest few people would take it out on a new teacher who genuinely didn't know the ropes.
    But in any new job, best not to start off on the wrong foot with your colleagues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

katydid wrote: »
    You couldn't teach a P.E class

Not true. In some schools there are teachers taking PE who are not qualified in it.

Not true. In some schools there are teachers taking PE who are not qualified in it.
    Ahhh, interesting. Sorry for getting it wrong.

Advertisement