Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got my dog neutered

• 31-10-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Just after picking up my dog after being neutered. The vet rang me saying come down ASAP cos he lost a bit of blood, I went down to see my dog lying in a pool of blood. I asked was it normal and he said it's a bit more blood than normal but he's not concerned because he's a big dog.

He's asleep now at home and the bleeding seems to have stopped. There might be a bit oozing out still tho

I noticed he couldn't really walk, I know he just had an operation but his back legs looked kind of wonky is that normal ? Will he be OK ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

He's moving around and when he does there's drops of blood around him so it's still dripping out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

rottie 11 wrote: »
    He's moving around and when he does there's drops of blood around him so it's still dripping out :(

I'd be inclined to ring your vet or your local emergency vet for advice asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

That's not normal. Definitely call the vet and ask them to see him again, blood shouldnt be dripping.

Was it a normal op or was there any complications?

I've had 3 male dogs neutered plus seen umpteen rescue dogs after it and none had problems bar one who's testicles were retracted into his body and had to be dug out (we thought he was already done until he was caught romancing a beautiful leggy lurcher) even he wasn't dripping blood or walking strangely, just a bit grumpy.

He didn't mention any complications bar bleeding too much. He gave me cotton wool and bandages to put on if it kept bleeding but I can't get it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Just after picking up my dog after being neutered. The vet rang me saying come down ASAP cos he lost a bit of blood, ?

Did the vet ring you to come down to collect the dog or because the dog was losing a lot of blood.

I don't understand why a vet would let the dog out of their care if they were worried about the dog.

How is your dog today? Is he still bleeding and is he eating, drinking and toileting ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

OP, is he swollen? I ask because my dog bled quite a bit after neutering and we were walking around after him with kitchen roll for days. We eventually gave up and just gave the floor a mopping every evening. We took him to the vet twice and they said both times that some bleeding is normal. It was nearly all discharge from the swelling and as soon as he was able to go on walks etc again and get him system moving, the swelling went down and the bleeding stopped. If you've very worried about him, take him back to the vet. However, we were told bleeding is normal unless it looks like the stitches have ripped.

sup_dude wrote: »
    OP, is he swollen? I ask because my dog bled quite a bit after neutering and we were walking around after him with kitchen roll for days. We eventually gave up and just gave the floor a mopping every evening. We took him to the vet twice and they said both times that some bleeding is normal. It was nearly all discharge from the swelling and as soon as he was able to go on walks etc again and get him system moving, the swelling went down and the bleeding stopped. If you've very worried about him, take him back to the vet. However, we were told bleeding is normal unless it looks like the stitches have ripped.

There's a bit of swelling alright around the wounds but nothing major. The bleeding has stopped now thank god and the stitches seem fine but he keeps licking them

Inexile wrote: »
    Did the vet ring you to come down to collect the dog or because the dog was losing a lot of blood.

I don't understand why a vet would let the dog out of their care if they were worried about the dog.

How is your dog today? Is he still bleeding and is he eating, drinking and toileting ok.

He rang me to come down so he could inspect him but when I got down he just wanted me to get out of their with the dog. He said he wasn't concerned about the blood. He's in better form this morning , hes not eating but he's picking at a bone alrite he's drinking fine aswel. Is it OK for him to keep licking ?

He rang me to come down so he could inspect him but when I got down he just wanted me to get out of their with the dog. He said he wasn't concerned about the blood. He's in better form this morning , hes not eating but he's picking at a bone alrite he's drinking fine aswel. Is it OK for him to keep licking ?

No he should leave them alone to prevent infection.
    Stop him when you see him licking them and get him a cone in the morning, any vet will sell them.

No he should leave them alone to prevent infection.
    Stop him when you see him licking them and get him a cone in the morning, any vet will sell them.

Ya il have to alright cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I would have thought that the vet would have sent the dog home with a cone on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I would have thought that the vet would have sent the dog home with a cone on?

Any dog I've ever known to be neutered has always been sent home either wearing the cone or with the cone in hand for after the car journey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Wheres the cone?

There is no way the vet gave you your dog without a cone around his neck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've never gotten a cone? It's always been a case of if they won't leave the stitches alone then call us and we'll give you a cone. My two know their leave it command though and I've never had a problem with stitches. My friend's dog had surgery last year and when they took him to get the stitches out he'd already removed half of them without them knowing lol! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

tk123 wrote: »
    I've never gotten a cone? It's always been a case of if they won't leave the stitches alone then call us and we'll give you a cone. My two know their leave it command though and I've never had a problem with stitches. My friend's dog had surgery last year and when they took him to get the stitches out he'd already removed half of them without them knowing lol! :p

Unless its something they check for before owners come? Maybe if they think the dog will worry at the stitches they give one?

I've never gotten a cone either. My last dog kept licking the stitches so we had to go back, I think it was 90cent!

He's licking the stitches quiet alot tbh , I couldn't get a cone today as I had to leave for work at 7am and didn't get home till 6 , il try to get my mom to pick one up tomorrow tho. She visits the dog when I'm away so she could put it on him aswel.

He's in much better form now I'm surprised how quick he came around. When my parents female was neutered she was depressed for a good week and then went a bit nuts for another week :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

il try to get my mom to pick one up tomorrow tho. She visits the dog when I'm away so she could put it on him aswel.

I'd urge you (or rather, your mam) not to put a buster collar on him and then leave him... that's assuming that I'm reading your post correctly that your dog is home alone and your mam drops in for a little while to check on him? The collar can be pretty distressing for them to wear for the first couple of days, so I wouldn't just put it on him and leave him alone.
    I should be getting a commission for these things, but inflatable collars are a far better job for any abdominal surgery wounds.
    https://www.procollars.co.uk/
    You can leave the dog alone from the start with them, as they don't cause anywhere near the same amount of distress, and dogs generally fid them comfortable and hardly seem to notice they're on. You can get them in most large pet shops... they are quite a bit more pricey than the lampshade, but a handy thing to have for future reference.

He's bleeding again badly what am I gona do I've to go to work soon

He's bleeding again badly what am I gona do I've to go to work soon

Do what the rest of us do - call work and tell them you're going to be late because you have to take your dog to the vet? Then call the vets emergency number or even a different vet if there's one near you.

I'd have no condicence in your vet after this.

• Advertisement

Do what the rest of us do - call work and tell them you're going to be late because you have to take your dog to the vet? Then call the vets emergency number or even a different vet if there's one near you.

I'd have no condicence in your vet after this.

I can't do that. Work is an hour and a half drive , we all go together. If I don't go il prob lose my job , il get someone to take him down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Seriously if your dog is bleeding he needs a vet asap. It's not normal to be bleeding. It's very serious.
    There is no point coming on her asking us for advice and not taking it, when he clearly needs vet attention. Please get your dog to a ve now before you end up losing your poor dog. It is not normal to bleed like that after a routine neutering operation.
    Honestly, you have a duty of care to your dog so he needs vet attention asap! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I can't do that. Work is an hour and a half drive , we all go together. If I don't go il prob lose my job , il get someone to take him down

They're hardly going to sack you if you call in sick once!

Seriously, get your dog to a vet. No responsible pet owner would leave their dog bleeding and assume someone else will look after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

OP you shouldnt have a dog if you cannot look after it, it had surgery and is bleeding heavily and you want to leave for 11 hours.
    This is your responsibility and if you cannot look after it contact the DSPCA or someone who will. Get off the bloody internet and do something about it, get to any vet or emergency service.

No one on here is going to tell you that its ok to go off to work and leave a poor animal to bleed out.

I was talking to the vet, he said he might have to knock him out again to stitch it up again. Or he could put pressure on it and bandage it up and put a cone on him, my mom will look after him anyway

I kind of over exaggerated when I said he wis bleeding badly , it was a few drops and is obviously because he kept licking

OP you shouldnt have a dog if you cannot look after it, it had surgery and is bleeding heavily and you want to leave for 11 hours.
    This is your responsibility and if you cannot look after it contact the DSPCA or someone who will. Get off the bloody internet and do something about it, get to any vet or emergency service.

No one on here is going to tell you that its ok to go off to work and leave a poor animal to bleed out.

That's a bit harsh I think. I got him neutered Saturday , I wasn't expecting it to be bleeding when I picked him up from the vet , and u especially didn't think it would be still bleeding now.

I can look after my dog , just wasn't expecting this

I was talking to the vet, he said he might have to knock him out again to stitch it up again. Or he could put pressure on it and bandage it up and put a cone on him, my mom will look after him anyway

Bring him to a better vet.

Seriously, take the numerous pieces of advice you've been given

Bring him to a better vet.

Seriously, take the numerous pieces of advice you've been given

I am done with this vet after this is over with I'm sick of it

• Advertisement

OP sorry for being harsh but you need to hear it, youre posting on the internet rather than doing something for this poor animal.

As said above youve been given more advice than you need already. Bring the dog to a better vet, end of story.

I am done with this vet after this is over with I'm sick of it

Why after? Why would you trust him to re-stitch your poor dog? You're risking putting your dog in danger bringing him back to someone even you admit you want to switch from.

Stop taking risks with your dog's health

Why after? Why would you trust him to re-stitch your poor dog? You're risking putting your dog in danger bringing him back to someone even you admit you want to switch from.

Stop taking risks with your dog's health

I don't think he needs to be stitched up to be honest. It had stopped bleeding again before I left , if he just bandages it up and puts a cone on him I reckon hel be fine.

I don't think he needs to be stitched up to be honest. It had stopped bleeding again before I left , if he just bandages it up and puts a cone on him I reckon hel be fine.

Its bleeding for a reason. It is not normal to bleed like after a neuter. Its a very straight forward operation so there shouldn't be complications like this. For a start he shouldn't have been let home the way he was, bleeding badly, then he's been licking and at his stitches for the last few days, so im not surprised its burst or is bleeding now to be honest.

There is very bad management and aftercare going on here and it needs to be sorted before your poor boy loses more blood or picks up an infection from the wound being open. I would suggest bringing your dog to a diff vet asap, one who actually knows what they are doing, and get him a cone so he can't get at the wound.

Honestly op, that dog needs attention asap, please stop arguing about his care and do something about it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

No way would I bring my dog back to a vet that left them in that state. Yes you will have to pay at the new vet and not at the old one but it'd be worth it to me to know my dog was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Op you say you will ask your mom to see to him, take him back to the vet etc when she calls down later, what if he bleeds more before she gets there or the stitches burst before then ??!!!
    You should of taken the day of work to take him to the vet as soon as you saw the fresh bleed, yet you say you can't just take a day off work ? What if it were you that was sick they wouldn't expect you in ? So you could of used that excuse instead of putting your poor pet at risk by leaving him like that I'm sure he's in pain and scared, please get him help as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

Op you say you will ask your mom to see to him, take him back to the vet etc when she calls down later, what if he bleeds more before she gets there or the stitches burst before then ??!!!
    You should of taken the day of work to take him to the vet as soon as you saw the fresh bleed, yet you say you can't just take a day off work ? What if it were you that was sick they wouldn't expect you in ? So you could of used that excuse instead of putting your poor pet at risk by leaving him like that I'm sure he's in pain and scared, please get him help as soon as possible.

My mother was already down to him , he's grand and no blood. My dad is calling down soon aswel. The vet is sorting out a cone soon. Il bring him to a different vet tomorrow if it bleeds again

I give up. Im out of this thread. That poor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

My mother was already down to him , he's grand and no blood. My dad is calling down soon aswel. The vet is sorting out a cone soon. Il bring him to a different vet tomorrow if it bleeds again

The fact he bled again today isn't right so he needs seeing again today, not tomorrow or another day, he could have an infection there and sorting a cone out soon ? Just wow ! He needs that now well yesterday but certainly now !

I understand youre doing your best and owning animals and trying to manage work is a tall order, and you are lucky to have your parents to call in on him.

But a puppy who is recovering badly from surgery needs to be looked after, left alone with 2 call ins for the whole day is not ideal, but i do know that there are animals in far worse situations.

Maybe look into requesting some time off if he needs any more surgery and 100% change that vet he doesnt seem to be very good at all.

Animal ownership is very rewarding but requires a huge amount of responsibility and sacrifice in order to work.

Remember he will be your best friend for a small part of your life but you are his best friend for his entire life, dont abuse that trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

andreac wrote:
    Its bleeding for a reason. It is not normal to bleed like after a neuter. Its a very straight forward operation so there shouldn't be complications like this. For a start he shouldn't have been let home the way he was, bleeding badly, then he's been licking and at his stitches for the last few days, so im not surprised its burst or is bleeding now to be honest.

I'm actually going to disagree a small bit here. After my dog got neutered, he bled for nearly a week afterwards. We were told repeatedly that there was nothing to worry about as a bit of bleeding is normal, particularly in a bigger and older dog. This was from 3 vets. It depends on the type and amount of blood. The blood from our dog, although there was quite a bit of it, it was sticky and clotty and obviously old blood that was lying (he stayed swollen for quite a while too).
    I don't know why the dog wasn't given a collar if he was bleeding though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

andreac wrote: »
    I give up. Im out of this thread. That poor dog.

Im surprised you didnt leave sooner...

This poster has been posting all sorts of odd stuff since he got the dog...

From originally owning numerous dogs.. that went to his parents... or wherever ...then to a problem with limping for a good while ages ago .. then dog food etc... and other issues....he didnt listen to most of the advice posted by many of us on all these issues so why would he start now.

I bowed out months ago from replying to his posts.

I just hope the dog is ok.

I got my guy neutered when he was a pup no bleeding / no issues, this isnt normal the poor dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Im not trying to pick on you op but I think youve posted here before about that particular vet (I'm assuming its still the same one) and you were advised before to change vets, you shouldn't be bringing your dog to a crappy vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

sounds to me like this vet needs to be retrained big time.stevie wonder could have done a better job i reckon

DBB wrote: »
    I should be getting a commission for these things, but inflatable collars are a far better job for any abdominal surgery wounds.
    https://www.procollars.co.uk/

:eek: They could afford to pay you commission with the price of them!!:eek: We have one of these since Bailey's op 4-5 years ago and still going strong! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrive-BCC4-Comfy-Collar-Large/dp/B003XLGX8G (I also have the comfy cone in the 'frequently bought together' pic too lol - bought in case we needed it after Bailey's jaw surgery but the inflatable one did the trick)

Il bring him to a different vet this evening..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Il bring him to a different vet this evening..

As regards work, I'd be livid if an employee was so irresponsible as to leave an unwell animal suffering and without adequate care. I'd far rather they took a sick day or a holiday. You should tell your manager today that you need to leave early and may not be in tomorrow.

Ok so my mother was up for the 3rd time just there and no blood and he's in good form. I rang a different vet aswel from tralee and I'm bringing him in later on this evening , so il know more then

His temperature is high and his blood pressure is up. The wound is infected aswel but he said the operation seems to have been done right , he reckons Bruno did the damage by licking it.

He got 2 injections and a cone. I've to bring him back in tomorrow Nite for another injection and so he can check the wound. Getting costly so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

His temperature is high and his blood pressure is up. The wound is infected aswel but he said the operation seems to have been done right , he reckons Bruno did the damage by licking it.

He got 2 injections and a cone. I've to bring him back in tomorrow Nite for another injection and so he can check the wound. Getting costly so it is.

Goodness knows why original vet didn't give you a cone just in case. For the sake of a few euro. Glad he's hopefully on the mend though.

Goodness knows why original vet didn't give you a cone just in case. For the sake of a few euro. Glad he's hopefully on the mend though.

Thanks. Ya if I had got a cone off my vet at first this might never have happened

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement