Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got my dog neutered

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Well thats great you got him to a different vet! Im sure he'll be grand now hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Thanks. Ya if I had got a cone off my vet at first this might never have happened

Not a good vet who doesn't give you a cone... i wouldn't use them again, they sound very callous!
    It's good to have an inflatable one at home, comes in handy in a variety of scratch or cut situations.

I hope your dog will be well now... our dogs never noticed they were neutered it was done so expertly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

He can still lick the wound even with the cone on. The cone seems massive aswel like but he can lie on his side and manage to lick it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    I am a bit aghast at the way some people have addressed the OP in this thread.
    I don't blame anyone for feeling annoyed, but for crying out loud, there are nice, more effective ways of making your point.
    From tantrum-like posts, to passive aggression, will those of you guilty of this just cop yourselves on and remember that the OP came here looking for help. If you don't want to help him based on any previous posts or threads, then don't post.
    Seriously. Reading this thread is like watching a bloody shark feeding frenzy.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

He can still lick the wound even with the cone on. The cone seems massive aswel like but he can lie on his side and manage to lick it

This is often the case OP, but he shouldn't be able to really get stuck into it enough to be able to do any damage when he has the cone on... is this the case?
    Losing the stitches is not a big deal for a dog castration, indeed some vets don't bother stitching at all, letting the small wounds heal themselves. It's the real rooty licking you want to curtail, which you should have done now with the collar.
    Did the vet give you any pain relief for him? He may be licking because he's feeling a bit tender down there, and easing the soreness can help relieve the licking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The same vet neutered both my dogs and she gave me a cone for Teddy but none for Poppy. I bought a comfy cone for Poppy but she freaked out when I put it on her so I don't know, maybe she did the same thing at the vets and that's why they didn't give me one. They didn't say anything if she did though. I just put her coat on and that covered the wound, she didn't make any attempt to get at it anyway. I did book a week holidays off work both times so they would have constant supervision, so in this case I would recommend doing the same OP if your employer doesn't mind the short notice.

DBB wrote: »
    This is often the case OP, but he shouldn't be able to really get stuck into it enough to be able to do any damage when he has the cone on... is this the case?
    Losing the stitches is not a big deal for a dog castration, indeed some vets don't bother stitching at all, letting the small wounds heal themselves. It's the real rooty licking you want to curtail, which you should have done now with the collar.
    Did the vet give you any pain relief for him? He may be licking because he's feeling a bit tender down there, and easing the soreness can help relieve the licking.

He seems to be able to get a good lick on it tbh. It's hard to catch him tho cos he's starting to do it behind my back

The same vet neutered both my dogs and she gave me a cone for Teddy but none for Poppy. I bought a comfy cone for Poppy but she freaked out when I put it on her so I don't know, maybe she did the same thing at the vets and that's why they didn't give me one. They didn't say anything if she did though. I just put her coat on and that covered the wound, she didn't make any attempt to get at it anyway. I did book a week holidays off work both times so they would have constant supervision, so in this case I would recommend doing the same OP if your employer doesn't mind the short notice.

It's not an option I'm afraid , we're short people as it is and it's fairly busy aswel. My mom will call up to him a few times again hopefully

He seems to be able to get a good lick on it tbh. It's hard to catch him tho cos he's starting to do it behind my back

I have a dog here who was such a licker, the only thing that worked was TWO lampshade collars, AND the inflatable collar!
    If you think creatively, you might find a way of making his normal collar thicker, to reduce the mobility of his neck? A folded towel maybe?

• Advertisement

I have a dog here who was such a licker, the only thing that worked was TWO lampshade collars, AND the inflatable collar!
    If you think creatively, you might find a way of making his normal collar thicker, to reduce the mobility of his neck? A folded towel maybe?

Well his shnout is longer than the cone so maybe it's just not big enough. I might try a towel in the morning but I'm just afraid if I take it off I won't be able to put it back on on my own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Well his shnout is longer than the cone so maybe it's just not big enough. I might try a towel in the morning but I'm just afraid if I take it off I won't be able to put it back on on my own

Don't laugh but could you put a pair of shorts or something on him. I know I used to put clothes on my small bitches to stop the licking. They were quite good at escaping from the cones.

Knine wrote: »
    Don't laugh but could you put a pair of shorts or something on him. I know I used to put clothes on my small bitches to stop the licking. They were quite good at escaping from the cones.

I'd say he'd have no problem getting a pair of shorts off tbh. He's trying everything to get the cone off since we got home but he's failing badly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

This might and will sound weird

We put a onesie on both dogs when they got neutered.

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    This might and will sound weird

We put a onesie on both dogs when they got neutered.

What's an onesie lol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

What's an onesie lol?

Like a babygro. I'm trying to think where you could get a rottweiler sized one though.

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    Like a babygro. I'm trying to think where you could get a rottweiler sized one though.

Penney's

Adult one and cut the arms and legs short

€12

D35397113559026-large.jpg

Dunnes have them too

Your dog has no chance of licking the stitches and keeps the area protected.

We have westies so kids sizes suited us. We had a Giraffe one and a Mickey mouse one lol

Oh no, don't misunderstand me! I mean to use a towel (or something similar) in conjunction with the cone... Don't take the cone off!

Dunnes have them too

Your dog has no chance of licking the stitches and keeps the area protected.

We have westies so kids sizes suited us. We had a Giraffe one and a Mickey mouse one lol

Any photos? :)

Hows your dog doing today ?

• Advertisement

maggiepip wrote: »
    Hows your dog doing today ?

Not too bad. Brought him back to the vet this evening , his temperature is much better , he cut out the stitches and said it will heal without them but it will take 3-4 weeks

I got a bigger cone aswel but he couldn't drink water with it on (it was gigantic) so I cut it down a bit , he can drink water now but it's still a aukward for him

Ah thats great news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not too bad. Brought him back to the vet this evening , his temperature is much better , he cut out the stitches and said it will heal without them but it will take 3-4 weeks

I got a bigger cone aswel but he couldn't drink water with it on (it was gigantic) so I cut it down a bit , he can drink water now but it's still a aukward for him

They heal very quickly once the wound is left alone, he won't need the cone of shame for long.

I feel sorry for him tho because it's hard for him to eat/drink. He can't pick up his bone off the ground or anything he's pure depressed. Hope it heals quickly

I feel sorry for him tho because it's hard for him to eat/drink. He can't pick up his bone off the ground or anything he's pure depressed. Hope it heals quickly

You could elevate his bowls, maybe place them onto an upside down bucket, or something that s smaller in width than the cone, if you get me, allowing him to eat and drink freely. Make sure he can get at plenty of water anyway.

maggiepip wrote: »
    You could elevate his bowls, maybe place them onto an upside down bucket, or something that s smaller in width than the cone, if you get me, allowing him to eat and drink freely. Make sure he can get at plenty of water anyway.

I was thinking that alrite but he'd only knock it , he's unbelievably clumsy. But he can get at the water , it just seems like a task for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Our lad couldn't hold his bone in his hand and chew at the same time, it drove him mad, I ended up sitting on the couch beside him holding the bone in his mouth for him to chew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hope he's feeling better OP!! Not fun when something goes wrong and then the worry of what to tell work. I was embarrassed starting my new job and having to ask for emergency time off for accidents, operations etc but my manager was fine with it so I'm very lucky in that respect. 99.99% of time I take off is dog related lol!!:rolleyes::p

tk123 wrote: »
    Hope he's feeling better OP!! Not fun when something goes wrong and then the worry of what to tell work. I was embarrassed starting my new job and having to ask for emergency time off for accidents, operations etc but my manager was fine with it so I'm very lucky in that respect. 99.99% of time I take off is dog related lol!!:rolleyes::p

He is a bit better alrite. He is not happy about wearing the cone tho :( I was just looking at the wounds , they seem to be hardening , like forming into a scab, is that a good or bad thing ? I'm presuming it's a good thing

I noticed aswel there this weird textured stuff all around that area kinda looks like melted plastic , it's black and hard. I'm thinking it is puss coming from the wound and drying up in the hair ?

Should I clean it with a wet tissue or just leave it off ?

Leave it off! The less you tinker with a wound, the better. Everything sounds like it's doing what it needs to do :)

• Advertisement

Leave it off! The less you tinker with a wound, the better. Everything sounds like it's doing what it needs to do :)

Thanks DBB. Hopefully the cone will be off in a few more days

Il never again neuter a dog after this. One cut Is all scabbed but the other one is still oozing gooey stuff and it's stinking out the whole house , I'd say itll never heal

Its infected. Bring you dog back to the Vet.

I dont think you took the aftercare of the op serious enough.

Bring the dog to the vet. The vet will clean it and probably put the dog on antibiotics. its YOUR job to make sure the wound stays clean.

I've brought him to the vet twice since the operation. It was infected he gave him a few injections , they obviously didn't work ..

I've brought him to the vet twice since the operation. It was infected he gave him a few injections , they obviously didn't work ..

Well if it stinks bring him to a different vet before he gets septicemia

Well if it stinks bring him to a different vet before he gets septicemia

That was a different vet from the original one. This is bull****

That was a different vet from the original one. This is bull****

Im sure if your dog could talk he would say - " Wtf are you waiting for- get me to the vet"

If you have a cut on your leg and it started to Stink with puss coming out.....

Would you wait?

Im sure if your dog could talk he would say - " Wtf are you waiting for- get me to the vet"

If you have a cut on your leg and it started to Stink with puss coming out.....

Would you wait?

My options are limited. I've no money , had to spend money I had saved for Xmas to bring him to the vet those 3 times.

The only vet that will let me pay when I have the money is the one that done the operation , so my only option is to bring him back to that vet

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Will you please take your dog back to the vet TODAY?!

• Advertisement

Which county are you in?

Kerry

SillyBeans wrote: »
    Will you please take your dog back to the vet TODAY?!

Yes but it will be the original vet

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

My options are limited. I've no money , had to spend money I had saved for Xmas to bring him to the vet those 3 times.

The only vet that will let me pay when I have the money is the one that done the operation , so my only option is to bring him back to that vet
    Most vets I have been to would give an animal life saving emergency help and allow you to pay after, and this sounds like it's one of those situations, please take him to the vet before he gets worse.

Okay Op,
    That's enough now. There is no more anyone can do for you here. Your dog should have had a cone on from the outset, that's what caused this mess.
    Not the neutering. The aftercare.
    Even the most half-arsed vet will manage to give him antibiotics. I would be inclined to argue my case that the original vet subsidises the cost of this aftercare.
    Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement