Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games with great plot and story lines.

Options
  • 31-10-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

So ive been watching the cutscenes of some games lately as a subsitute for films. Most recently the last of us and also the shadow of morder.. ... So what are recent games with good cutscenes/film potential. Was thinking maybe assasins creed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I had been watching a few of the Metal Gear Solid games that were edited into movies in preperation for MGSV, those were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Some very recent ones that spring to mind are Witcher 3 and Life Is Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Witcher 1, 2, 3. The game of thrones of video game world. Fantastic. I think they do have an actual tv series of it in Poland.
    Bioshock series have great stories. Some of the best in video games.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Recently picked up Undertale for a tenner on Steam and its the best money I've spent on a game in a long time! Don't want to say much about it for risk of spoiling it but I would wholeheartedly recommend for a genuinely compelling story experience with some fun gameplay!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

'Wherez mah skull!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The Max Payne 1/2 voiced comic strips are a work of art. Give a sit through those. Although it's a sin not to play the games.

whole playlist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

GTA has always had movie potential given that it borrows massivley from big movies in the 1st place

Last of US is one of the best, heavy rain , the 1st 3 resident evils before they went mental had good stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Life is Strange is pretty much easily the best game story in recent memory.

Also, Deadly Premonition, Tales from the Borderlands and Gone Home are really good as well.

Everything else is fairly laughable.

Actually, I would love to see the original Deus Ex made into a film. I think that would be really interesting, and would introduce a lot of people to the story who simply aren't willing to play what is now considered to be a really ugly game :pac: It'd have to be perfect though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I thought Dishonored had good cut scenes with an excellent created steampunk world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Actually, I would love to see the original Deus Ex made into a film. I think that would be really interesting, and would introduce a lot of people to the story who simply aren't willing to play what is now considered to be a really ugly game :pac: It'd have to be perfect though

There has been talk of a movie ever since it was ported over to the PS2 way back when.

They would probably make a mess of it like all the other game to movie transitions.

Could be excellent if done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I find games with good stories a bonus, i dont actively look out for it. I have noticed a clamour lately for games with good storylines.

Prefer gameplay over story every time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No mention of Silent Hill 2? It's got one of the best stories ever written and it's not just the writing, it's the way everything in the game from the visuals to the gameplay ties into it. Most games that get praised for having great stories are just trying to ape Hollywood, and even something like Last of Us is really only aping the best that Hollywood puts. Silent Hill 2 is something that could only get done as a game and it's really something special.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

'Wherez mah skull!'

Gameplay is actually fun tbf

• I would add Bioshock.
    And before its said yes it nicked some of System Shock 2s themes / story ideas but its the characters and the historical setting that makes Bioshock 1 so awesome.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Gameplay is actually fun tbf

Yep, it's surprisingly good and the stupid story is comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

first 20min of the last of us still blows me away and sucks me in.have say until dawn was brilliant even though it based on a stupid genre !

brady12 wrote: »
    have say until dawn was brilliant even though it based on a stupid genre !

I'm not sure if Until Dawn is the work of sheer genius of dumb luck. As a movie it would be a pretty ropey slasher flick. Add the visual novel elements to it and it's utterly compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

It'd be far too long with too many characters. I'd see it more as maybe a 3 part miniseries ala Frank Herberts Dune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'm not sure if Until Dawn is the work of sheer genius of dumb luck. As a movie it would be a pretty ropey slasher flick. Add the visual novel elements to it and it's utterly compelling.

I'd say dumb luck .judging by the sound of the vr game they bringing out

• Advertisement

It'd be far too long with too many characters. I'd see it more as maybe a 3 part miniseries ala Frank Herberts Dune.

Idk about that, much of the length is due to the missions which wouldn't need to be shown in full. A mini series would be interesting though!

Hmm. Bioshock (1 & Infinite)
    Last of Us
    Gears of War(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

GTA has always had movie potential given that it borrows massivley from big movies in the 1st place

Last of US is one of the best, heavy rain , the 1st 3 resident evils before they went mental had good stories
    Old Perry wrote: »
    So ive been watching the cutscenes of some games lately as a subsitute for films. Most recently the last of us and also the shadow of morder.. ... So what are recent games with good cutscenes/film potential. Was thinking maybe assasins creed?

Surely you are both joking with these 2 suggestions, they have some of the worst stories of any games I've ever completed. :confused: ESPECIALLY the endings/twists.....just awful....as in really really bad, written by a 1st year secondary school student level bad. It's like those cop outs...and then it was all a dream. :P

- Metal Gear Solid (PS1) had a great story. (I know it's not recent, but MGS V came to mind....and immediately NO )
    - Bioshock 1 I liked
    - Mass Effect 1 and 2...not sure about 3
    - Spec Ops the Line
    - The Walking Dead
    - Wolf Among Us
    - Sleeping Dogs I thought had a great story for that type of game
    - GTA : Vice City was the best of the series in my opinion (storywise)
    -

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CiaranW

Red Dead Redemption would make an excellent movie.

Mass Effect 3 had such a fantastic story and brought the trilogy to a fantastic close. Sure, they messed up a little, but there was enough there to make it worth it. It made everything feel like all your decisions had galactic consequences,
    there was one such decision that resulted in almost an entire species being destroyed
    but also had some fantastic personal touches.

I wouldn't say the Mass Effect series had a great storyline. It's just the same Bioware fantasy monomyth told with a sci fi coat of paint with elves, dwarves and orcs replaced with space versions of them. I've played too many fantasy games where you have to save the universe from an ancient evil that is returning. Still it's the decisions you make and role playing that raise it up a notch and make it worth it. My advise to anyone starting it is not be a goody two shoes and actually role play a character and live with the choices you make... and also pick a female shepard. Makes the whole story a lot more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I always liked Hotel Dusk's story, or maybe it was the soundtrack :o

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the Mass Effect series had a great storyline. It's just the same Bioware fantasy monomyth told with a sci fi coat of paint with elves, dwarves and orcs replaced with space versions of them. I've played too many fantasy games where you have to save the universe from an ancient evil that is returning. Still it's the decisions you make and role playing that raise it up a notch and make it worth it. My advise to anyone starting it is not be a goody two shoes and actually role play a character and live with the choices you make... and also pick a female shepard. Makes the whole story a lot more enjoyable.

I sank in around 150 hours into the ME franchise, with replays and making different decisions each time, just to see how it changed my gameplay and it really did make a noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I absolutely loved the story in Portal 2. Considering how it was done and the type of game it was, the story of Cave Johnson & Caroline was surprisingly deep and very well told.

Also, Assassins Creed 2 had a great story and characters, both past & present stories. The ending especially completely blew my mind. The story has been on a downward slide since then however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My advise to anyone starting it is not be a goody two shoes and actually role play a character and live with the choices you make... and also pick a female shepard. Makes the whole story a lot more enjoyable.

I could never bring myself to play as female Shepard. I've played through the trilogy 3 times (once on each console + PC ) ...always Male.
    I guess I want him to be 'me' basically..and I ain't no woman :P
    But I have heard from numerous sources that the woman voice actor was a lot better.

Advertisement