Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that used to be in Kilkenny ya can remember

Options
  • 31-10-2015 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

• Woolworths
    • Jack McGraths barbers.
    • The witch in the fire place in Kytlers
    • The pool table in Maggie Hollands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Mulhalls bakery shop, and the resteraunt upstairs. I loved looking down on the traffic in High Street, then come down and collect the doughnuts on the way out! O'keefes hairdressers across the street, and the garden shop beside it. The Monster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

Santa in The Monster House:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

There's a thread on this already called something like shops that are no more.

Well the brewery is soon to be no more too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Bad hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

The train in the window of sherwoods at christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

Snooker in the Village Inn & Blackmill Street. No snooker hall in Kilkenny now that I know of!.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Snooker in the Village Inn & Blackmill Street. No snooker hall in Kilkenny now that I know of!.

That's gone??

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Formosa

Mike's bar.
    Kelly's Corner
    The Chick Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

The walk home from the disco in the Rugby Club !

The egg stain on the screen in the Savoy

• Advertisement

Queuing for a mat to go down the Helter Skelter in James Park fun fair.

Kitty Saunders dogs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Deals on Wheels.

Pub Theaters and the twin Heffernans might craic.

Getting chased out of the Castle Park by Mr Connolly !

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ghost_rider

KK4SAM wrote: »
    The pool table in Maggie Hollands

Maggie Hollands !!
    The egg stain on the screen in the Savoy

That was the Regent ! -
    Remember the "Jumbo Seats" downstairs at the back :)

OK so, off the top of my head, how about.......

Mc Grath's Hardware on Patrick Street

Farrell's Flower / Garden shop on High Street, pretty much where the Sony Centre is now.

Discos in the Cartlon Ballroom on Saturday Nights.

Rosie O'Grady's out in the Springhill

Disco in Rose Hill Hotel, prior to the Cellar in Hotel Kilkenny

The Beer Festival, which usually brought Perk's funfair & the Circus to St James's Park :)

Mooney's & Whites shops beside Ulster Bank

The Sports Shop beside the Town Hall & it's "Toy Department" at Christmas & the Gun Department downstairs.

Fitzmaurice's news agents where the The Book Center is now.

McGinty's Chip shop, short lived, also where the Book Shop is now.

The "Roaster Coaster" on the parade on Fri & Sat nights.

The old yellow/ cream coloured chip van on the Parade on Friday & Saturday during the day.

Monaghan's Shop at the bottom of Dean Street (Monaghan's corner I believe it was actually called.)

Burke's clothes shop on High Street, near where the Credit Union is now.

The Wimpy, on High Street, again near where the Credit Union is now.

Lowery's Hardware & Lumber yard in Irishtown

..... I'll be back with more :)

Edit to add.....

Delahunty's furniture store, roughly where the Arcade is.

The L&N supermarket, roughly where Argos, Boots & the entrance to Market Cross is.

White's Pharmacy on the other side of High street in a tiny wee shop, with Manning travel beside, in an equally tiny shop. Steps up to both I seem to recall.

Reynolds butchers where Manning Travel is now.

Elliott's corner, with those scrummy yummy roast chickens in the window.

Chequers disco bar at the front of the Club House hotel

Tennis club & Golf club discos

Live music scene at Henderson's on the Parade. The live gigs there on a Friday & Saturday nights were just mighty.

The original, pirate, KCR, broadcasting from the hay barn out the Ballycallan Rd.

The video / games arcade up by the Carlton Ballroom.

The "Old Block" at the CBS. (Oh & how could I forget all those "Pres Girls" across the street :) )

The Friary Car park, on Friary Street, with that big tree in the middle with the wall around it. So much better than that monstrosity of apartments & closed down shops there now :(

Sherwoods, beside Murphy's Jewlery.

Hickman's shop at the same location, after Sherwoods.

Dan ! - "Who's dead Dan ? Man in box, Man in box !!" :):):)

The original, really, really steep Blackquarry hill, with the quarry down below over the wall on the left as you went up. Long before the Ringroad was built.

The railway bridge over the road, with the textured road surface, originally to give horses traction in the wet, which produced a kind of droning noise as cars drove over it, at the top of John Street, as you're heading out the 'comer Rd.

Connolly's garage, where Greenwood furniture was & where Guiney's is reportedly going.

Renahin's (sp?) garage, where Classic furniture was just at Mullhall's corner.

Brian Stone's car accessory shop, just across the street.

Ormonde Motors, Mercedes, then Peugeot dealers, at the top of Patrick St, where Auto Smart & a car repair workshop are now.

Danny Lyon's petrol station where Statoil is out the 'comer Rd.

The Fireside Inn.

Fit Remolds tyre centre, on the Carlow Rd, where Flower Power & The Stove Centre is now.

......as I think of more, I'll be back :)

Ghost Rider - I think you're my generation:) . Just to add to your comprehensive list - MRS PURCELL'S ICECREAM SHOP in High St - somewhere around where Dunphy's Photography is now.
    Ahh the Carlton - where it all happened.
    And of course the Monster House - an institution in its own right.
    The Wimpy was the coolest spot in town- definitely the place to hang out on Saturday afternoons - even if I barely had the price of a coke while I watched the lads cruising up and down!!
    (PS -Cruising means walking of course - none of us had wheels then!!)

That's a comprehensive list Ghost Rider, Ya must remember the ****e table in Maggies,The balls on the table followed you where ever you walked!
    When Hennessy's had the Fire Side Inn there were fourteen pool tables there ?

Dan ! - "Who's dead Dan ? Man in box, Man in box !!" :):):)
    He's worthy of a statue!

inthehat MRS PURCELL'S ICECREAM SHOP

Funnily, I don't remember that !

Few more I thought of overnight......

While I mentioned the great live band scene at Hendersons, there were also some mighty nights to be had at the Carmel Hotel, or "Flannery's" as it was known as. Dave Primm almost had a residency there :)

Then there was the Original Lautrecs, the wine bar downstairs in the basement, in Parliament St. Many's the "morning" I crawled up the steps, blinking in the early dawn, after a feed of steak sandwiches & multiple bottles of wine. This, after a night out, usually in Quan's & Maggies :)

How about the Army Surplus store, up the lanes beside the Carlton Ballroom.

Pantomimes in the Friary Hall. There was no Watergate in those days, so we sat for hours on those are wooden, classroom chairs in the Friary hall :)

KK4SAM Yeah the pool tables in the Fireside Inn, with the jukebox by the window. :)

catbear Dan Quigley - he sure does deserve a salute alright !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

madmaggie wrote: »
    Mulhalls bakery shop, and the resteraunt upstairs. I loved looking down on the traffic in High Street, then come down and collect the doughnuts on the way out!

Was that not Bradbury's on High Street?

There was also Molloy's bakery shop on Rose Inn Street, with the bakery where Celtic Bookmakers is on Kieran Street

catbear wrote: »
    There's a thread on this already called something like shops that are no more.

You're a great memory - that thread is 10 years old!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2741012

brettmirl wrote: »
    Was that not Bradbury's on High Street?

Bradbury's didn't have an upstairs, to the best of my recollection. There was the shop at the front, where you could buy all those yummy cakes, then a sit down cafe at the back.

I'm only having hazy memories of Mullhall's having an upstairs. What I do remember was Mullahlls being in a kind of glass arcade off High Street, roughly where White's Paharmacy is now. That arcade was the shop part, but I can't quite remember where the sit down area was. In later years, they did have a cafe / restaurant across the lane at the rear, in the now long derelict building, that turned into an Indian Restaurant for a short time.

Now that I think of it, there was a garden centre behind that again, can't remember the name of it though :(

I mentioned upthread, Fitzmaurice's newsagents, where the Book Center is now, which then became Mc Ginty's chip shop for a short period of time, after that, IIRC, Tommy Grace opened another newsagents shop there. He also had a shop down beside Sherwoods, where there is Euro-Zone, or pound shop or something now. When he closed down those shops on High Street, he then had a shop at the top of Gasworks lane, which is now empty.

Speaking of gasworks lane, remember the two big Gas Monitors (tanks) that were there for years ?

Edit to add.....

The boot factory hooter.

The Auxillary hospital on Wolfe Tone St.

Kilkenny Products where MacDonagh Junction is now. In fact IIRC the old stone buildings in "Workhouse Square" were offices & workshops in the KP days.

Getting back to nightime entertainment....... "The Coo" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

A gaelic football team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Rosie O'Grady's out in the Springhill

The railway bridge over the road, with the textured road surface, originally to give horses traction in the wet, which produced a kind of droning noise as cars drove over it, at the top of John Street, as you're heading out the 'comer Rd.

Rosie O Gradys..... that brings back memories, and if you couldn't get in there it was the traipse back to John St and into Itchycoo Park.. or 'Who Hit Who Park' as it was also known.

Is this the bridge?

kkfiat.jpg

Getting back to nightime entertainment....... "The Coo" :)
    I used to never intend going there but some of the best nights out were in the Coo.

hi5 wrote: »
    Is this the bridge?

Oh wow, yes it is, that's the one :)

There was another one on New Road, but I think that one was still the stone bridge, whereas the one at Johnsons was raised to accomodate traffic.

Of course they're both long gone now :(
    catbear wrote: »
    I used to never intend going there but some of the best nights out were in the Coo.

Or sometimes the best nights ended up there from around 4am onwards. Always great for a late drink, I even remember being in the kitchens fixing some ham sambos, for "Soakage" :)

Ah, them was da days !

BTW, I can't remember the name of the disco at the Carlton on Saturday nights, was it "Spangles" or Tingles" or something like that ?

That was Farrells Nursery they also had a Flower shop opposite Mullhalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That was Farrells Nursery they also had a Flower shop opposite Mullhalls.

That's a yard out the back? You can still see that if you look out of the Ormonde st car park.
    Always boggled me as to why no one has done anything with Mulhalls in all these years. Used to be an Indian there but that's closed a long time now.

Ah so the nursery was part of Farrells shop on High Street. Makes sense :)
    road_high wrote: »
    That's a yard out the back? You can still see that if you look out of the Ormonde st car park.

Yes & I think the building is still there, must take a look next time.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Always boggled me as to why no one has done anything with Mulhalls in all these years.
    Wouldn't be surprised if the building needs to be ripped down and no one is willing to take the chance. The indian did do nice food but it took ages to serve. I think the guy taking our order actually went in and cooked it!

Advertisement