Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that used to be in Kilkenny ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Getting chased out of the Castle Park by Mr Connolly !

He was my next door neighbour, and actually a very sound chap, always reminded me of some character from old british movies though, a "Dad's Army" kind of vibe

He gave me one of his prized roses to plant when I was a kid.

Those days the back part of the Park ( after the hill) was closed off and we were told stories of murderers hiding out in the overgrown part

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

brettmirl wrote: »
    You're a great memory - that thread is 10 years old!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2741012

Last post in the original thread was March this year.

@ Mod, Can these threads be merged? Great opportunity for reminiscing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

@ Mod, Can these threads be merged? Great opportunity for reminiscing.

I'm gonna suggest no to that on a couple of grounds. I was aware of the other thread, how as ever this thread has a much broader title whereas the other one was limited to shops (if we did merge I could use the title of this thread (I think)). The other thread is ten years old, the conversation within is a little stale and I think it could be rediscussed as opposed to going through fifteen pages of posts. I would suggest to anyone reading that if you agree with granturismo thank his post above and if you agree with me, thank my post.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Formosa

Don't think it has been mentioned yet, remember Finnegans bookies, Mary's Lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Hazy memories of swing boats down on the Water Barracks with a metal center pole With two lads on you could nearly do the loop the loop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Formosa wrote: »
    Don't think it has been mentioned yet, remember Finnegans bookies, Mary's Lane?

Back when a bookies was a bookies and not the modern arcade farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

A few may have been covered, plus im still in my 20s so some things might not be that old :)

The cafe upstairs in the mall.

Parking on the parade where the chip van was.

Getting your feet measured for shoes downstairs in goods :)

The old cinema and queing down the street for tickets.

Fish tank and santy in the monster house.

Sherwood's train at Christmas.

Hennessey's sports in the little shop up the steps on Parliament street.

The light shop etc that used to be on john st before Langton's bought most of it.

The knick knack shop and all their toys upstairs.

The little computer shop down on Kieran st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

A League of Ireland team - RIP Kilkenny City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

When the funfair used to come to Market Yard. It usually came towards the middle of August, around Arts Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

I don't remember this my self but the Street lights were turned off at Midnight ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I remember the computer shop on Kieran's St. he also moved to James' st. and William St.

I have many good memories from Buckley Park and other stadiums around the country, there unfortunately is not an appetite in Kilkenny for senior soccer which is a shame. I'll just have to keep getting my kicks in Tallaght. Fun fact: Kilkenny City is still going as an entity, just no football going on.

The Beer Festival :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ghost_rider

I was just that bit too young at the time to "fully participate" in the Beer Festivals :(

However, it did always bring Perks Funfair & the Circus to James' Park, which was super, along with the Smithwicks Beer Tent.

In the run up to the festival, I remember lots of small tents being set up on various patches of grass throughout the outskirts of the city, but also remember a lot of the shops in High Street boarding up their windows with plywood. I'd say the craic was only mighty though & would loved to have been "of an age" to fully enjoy the festival. The closest I came to something like the Beer Festival was the Fleadhs in the early 80's :)

We have two "Smithwicks Kilkenny Beer Festival" tankard pint glasses. I'd post a picture, but I don't think I have enough of posts on here yet to allow me post a link to any external sites such as photobucket, etc.

Yea the Beer Festival was an experience! Like you I was a bit young (mid teens -ish) so I wasn't really into drinking but it was still great craic. There was a terrific buzz around the town, - ballad groups in the streets and pubs and the German bands in the Beer Tent in James' Park. But I don't recall much roughness or the sort of violent behavior you'd see now at a big drink-fest. Still I think that's why it was discontinued, - because it was starting to draw that kind of crowd in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crescent

What happened to that beet festival??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

A record shop called Sound Waves on Patrick Street. I got a blowjob off someone I met there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

A record shop called Sound Waves on Patrick Street. I got a blowjob off someone I met there.

With the greatest respect, I'm not quite sure those are the sort of memories this thread was after. :)

With the greatest respect, I'm not quite sure those are the sort of memories this thread was after. :)

Maybe BJs are something that used to be for him but are now no more.

The owner of Soundwaves, Frank, I think, wasn't he a priest, left the priesthood & started up Soundwaves ?

Edited to add......

Just got to thinking overnight, I think it may have been the other way round actually. After closing Soundwaves, he then went off to join the priesthood, became a minister, or in some way became involved in a religious order.

Either way, he was a nice guy & I remember buying lots of records from him :)

Also, remember the record shop in the arcade on High St. down near the back, on the right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Litter Lottery in Leahy's shop behind TC Tyres. Memories are vague but remember winning a few nice prizes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I remember the metropole hotel showing black and white movies!
    **** I'm old.

Anyone remember the old St Patrick (village) boys school when it was in Patrick St? We used to go to old black and white films there on Friday nights with the big spools of film and a projector. It was in the early 60s as far as I can remember. I think Huckleberry Finn was the first film I ever saw and that's where I saw it.

And you think you're old Catbear!!

I remember the Imperial Hotel on the Parade still standing. Then seeing it being knocked down to make way for the Northern bank. It was a beautiful building from what I remember, such a shame to see it replaced by that brown brick building :(

While we're on the Parade, remember those temporary phone boxes, on a type of trailer that were on the Parade for ages. Didn't they go faulty for a while & you could make free phone calls. I remember at one stage there being ques of people waiting to call their family & friends all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Crescent wrote: »
    What happened to that beet festival??

Sugar factories closed down, no more beet festivals:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Not gone very long, but I miss Gardenia in John Street, it was unusual to have a garden centre in such an urban area. The old waiting room in the railway station is one I remember, manys the evening I sat perished waiting for the train back to Bagenalstown. The little one bar heater up on the wall wouldn't kill a fly. None of yer fancy coffee in the 1980's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Litter Lottery in Leahy's shop behind TC Tyres. Memories are vague but remember winning a few nice prizes.

I cant remember the 'litter lottery'. What was it?

What goes up but never goes down? Buster Lahey's prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I've found it hard to explain to young pups how little choice there once was for good coffee in Kilkenny.
    Variety of pubs was never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I cant remember the 'litter lottery'. What was it?

What goes up but never goes down? Buster Lahey's prices.

He used have this "word jumble" on the window with a prize, maybe that is what he means ?

We'd get roast chickens from there on a Sunday, in fact my childhood is marked by the different sweets in favour at the time - sherbet, cheap club milks in a jar.

I know prices were crazy (funding all his property purchases maybe) but he was a part of my childhood much like the shopkeeper on Sesame Street, and even today he never fails to stop on the street to ask how I or my mum is.

He used to call me Master ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

He used have this "word jumble" on the window with a prize, maybe that is what he means ?

We'd get roast chickens from there on a Sunday, in fact my childhood is marked by the different sweets in favour at the time - sherbet, cheap club milks in a jar.

I know prices were crazy (funding all his property purchases maybe) but he was a part of my childhood much like the shopkeeper on Sesame Street, and even today he never fails to stop on the street to ask how I or my mum is.

He used to call me Master ****

+1. I recall he also a hard back notebook where, if you were a short a penny or two, he'd record the deficit and make sure you paid next time you were in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Elliots was mentioned earlier, it was where Ladbrooks is on the parade, I think. I can never smell a nicely roast chicken without thinking of it

Advertisement