Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu selling out of date crisps

Options
  • 31-10-2015 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought two packs of Lay's crisps (Polish range) from my local Supervalu on 26.10.2015, after finishing one pack I found that the best before date was 18.10.2015. I didn't get a receipt so went back took some photos and video as proof.

I sent two complaint emails with photo I took the next day but no reply so far. It's not that I'm going to get sick from out of date crisp. It's the principle. I rarely check dates on items bought from big supermarkets.

Please advice me what to do next. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Why don't you just go back to the shop and tell them in person? If you just want to inform them that some of their stock is past the BB date then that should be enough but if you want them to replace the remaining packet then bring it with you and ask for a replacement. On the other hand you could just let it go and take it as a lesson to check dates in future no matter where you shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Best before is simply a date a manufacturer puts on products that they are certain the product is 100% perfect.

Considering crisps have a shelf life of at least 6 months and up to a year, then a few days away from the best before date is fine - i wouldn't have an issue if the date was a month out if the price was right and possibly this was the reason they were €1.

Btw - most super valu stores are independent, so its the individual store you talk to.

Nothing illegal or nothing from a food safety aspect either.

Not to be confused with "use by" dates puton perishable goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Best Before is vastly different to Use Before. The crisps are Best Before. No big deal. The dates are there for guidance for the consumer. That's why you should look at them before buying.
    You can let the shop know but it seems they are aware, as the crisps were down to half price. No foul committed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Not sure if it's just a Supervalu thing but I regularly see food past its sell by date on the shelves in my local store, I find that they are poor with their stock rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm sick to death returning various out of date products to my local Tesco in Mullingar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ffs .. it's just a pack of crisps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It's use by that it's illegal to sell
    Best before is a date that has allowed you to store the crisps in a warm car from the day of manufacture
    Most crisps will have been stored in a cool crisp box and will last another three months till they even go stale let alone in any way "off"
    However you are entitled to a refund as you can expect to be buying stuff in date
    I check every date on everything I buy it takes no time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tigger wrote: »
    It's use by that it's illegal to sell
    Best before is a date that has allowed you to store the crisps in a warm car from the day of manufacture
    Most crisps will have been stored in a cool crisp box and will last another three months till they even go stale let alone in any way "off"
    However you are entitled to a refund as you can expect to be buying stuff in date
    I check every date on everything I buy it takes no time

Care to show some sources for much of this?

Best Before is based on storage in a warm car??
    Where does it state you are entitled to a refund if you buy a discounted item past the BB date?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Crisps probably laced with salt, in an airtight and what looks like a foil bag - I wouldn't have a problem eating them if they were 6 months out of date.

Time to move on OP. You got them at half price - did you ask yourself why they were reduced before buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can let the shop know but it seems they are aware, as the crisps were down to half price.
    Shops will usually make it clear if it's past the BB date, but I do not think there is any obligation. If I had a shop I would certainly make it very clear as many people are overly worried about this issue so I would certainly be pre-empting complaints.

For those who are not worried this posted over in food & drink
    Kovu wrote: »
    There's a few of them in the UK that I know of, http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/ and http://www.clearancexl.co.uk/

I used Clearance XL this time as I find their postage to be cheaper, something like up to 30kg for £13.75 shipping and it arrives in a few days. Now 30kg is a LOT. I even have a full box of Rib'N'Saucy Nik Naks here, best crisps ever.
    They don't sell anything fresh, just things that have 'Best before' on them, not 'Use By'

I recommend the cappuccino and hot choc with the free glass.

Best Before is based on storage in a warm car??
    Never heard the warm car thing but I would guess they do base BB dates on fairly bad case scenarios, like shops storing them under a light or sunny window, which could possibly cause food to deteriorate at a exponential rate.

TheBody wrote: »
    I'm sick to death returning various out of date products to my local Tesco in Mullingar.
    Would you not just check them then? or is it delivered food. I think they have ads saying they make sure its in date now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Canonfan wrote: »
    I bought two packs of Lay's crisps (Polish range) from my local Supervalu on 26.10.2015, after finishing one pack I found that the best before date was 18.10.2015.....

Please advice me what to do next.

Eat the other bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

TheBody wrote: »

You shouldnt be, theres a date right there on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Thanks for all the replies. I feel like I did something wrong. Mod please delete the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

coylemj wrote: »
    Eat the other bag.

You can have it, pm me if you want to collect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I've got second dibs on that other bag if coylemj doesn't want to collect !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I rarely check dates on items bought from big supermarkets.

Please advice me what to do next.

Always check the date? Seriously, I can't believe people don't do this, ESPECIALLY in big supermarkets!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thanks for all the replies. I feel like I did something wrong. Mod please delete the thread.
    Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement