Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 10 GPU upgrade problem Minecraft

Options
  • 31-10-2015 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭

I thought it better to ask here rather than minecraft forum.

I upgraded a Toshiba Satellite C660 to win 10 64-bit and all went well except minecraft will not run so the kids were not happy and I had to roll back to Win 7.

The crux of the issue was a crash report by minecraft that the OpenGL graphics would not work. I had loaded the current java 32-bit and 64-bit versions direct from the java website but still get the error. I tried vanilla minecraft and forge versions with the same result.

The Win 7 driver for the intel HD graphics card is 8.15.10.2189 which according to driverscape is win 10 64 bit compatible. Everything else displays correctly but crucially minecraft is not happy and will not start.

When I downgraded, everything worked perfectly again. I did get a firewall request in win 7 to allow connections by Java and I am wondering if this was the unseen issue in win 10.

As you guys build gaming rigs, you might be better placed to help with this one.

Crash dump below:

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // Don't be sad. I'll do better next time, I promise!

Time: 10/31/15 7:35 PM
    Description: Initializing game

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:247)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:306)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:848)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:757)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:739)
    at ave.ap(SourceFile:534)
    at ave.am(SourceFile:363)
    at ave.a(SourceFile:310)
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:124)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:

-- Head --
    Stacktrace:
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:247)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:306)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:848)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:757)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:739)
    at ave.ap(SourceFile:534)
    at ave.am(SourceFile:363)

-- Initialization --
    Details:
    Stacktrace:
    at ave.a(SourceFile:310)
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:124)

-- System Details --
    Details:
    Minecraft Version: 1.8.8
    Operating System: Windows 10 (amd64) version 10.0
    Java Version: 1.8.0_65, Oracle Corporation
    Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
    Memory: 59936464 bytes (57 MB) / 159846400 bytes (152 MB) up to 1060372480 bytes (1011 MB)
    JVM Flags: 6 total; -XX:HeapDumpPath=MojangTricksIntelDriversForPerformance_javaw.exe_minecraft.exe.heapdump -Xmx1G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn128M
    IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0
    Launched Version: 1.8.8
    LWJGL: 2.9.4
    OpenGL: ~~ERROR~~ RuntimeException: No OpenGL context found in the current thread.
    GL Caps:
    Using VBOs: No
    Is Modded: Probably not. Jar signature remains and client brand is untouched.
    Type: Client (map_client.txt)
    Resource Packs:
    Current Language: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null
    Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
    CPU: <unknown>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It sounds like a driver problem. There should be a current Windows 10 driver for that GPU. Did you try the standard one that Win10 installed with the upgrade or did you just install the Win7 one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭Damien360

Tropheus wrote: »
    It sounds like a driver problem. There should be a current Windows 10 driver for that GPU. Did you try the standard one that Win10 installed with the upgrade or did you just install the Win7 one?

I used the driver windows 10 installed which was the same version as win 7 one. The driver version is listed win 10 compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Damien360 wrote: »
    I used the driver windows 10 installed which was the same version as win 7 one. The driver version is listed win 10 compatible

Listed as compatible but clearly doesnt work...

What sub version of the 660 have you got?

ED E wrote: »
    Listed as compatible but clearly doesnt work...

What sub version of the 660 have you got?

That's what I thought but not fully sure. Downloaded Intel driver updater also but it did not recognise a need for an update and when I tried manually finding the driver in the Intel updater it was not listed.

Anyway it is a PSC0QE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

What Intel GPU is it? Check in Control Panel/Device Manager and it should be listed under Display Adapters.

Intel Graphics Win 10 drivers can be downloaded from here; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

• Advertisement

Moon54 wrote: »
    What Intel GPU is it? Check in Control Panel/Device Manager and it should be listed under Display Adapters.

Intel Graphics Win 10 drivers can be downloaded from here; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

It is just listed as Intel HD graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

OK, it's probably first-gen Intel Graphics so it won't show the exact chipset.
    Your Win 7 driver is from 2010, you can try the Intel driver updater;
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility
    Double click the the Display Adapter after restart, to see driver date.

Windows 10 is usually good with updating drivers but it can take a few updates before finding the latest one.

Moon54 wrote: »
    OK, it's probably first-gen Intel Graphics so it won't show the exact chipset.
    Your Win 7 driver is from 2010, you can try the Intel driver updater;
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility
    Double click the the Display Adapter after restart, to see driver date.

Windows 10 is usually good with updating drivers but it can take a few updates before finding the latest one.

The first link is the one I looked at in win 10. It does not list a driver for win 10 for this processsor. It is an i3 but not sure which generation but no win 10 driver listed for any.

In win 7: The utility says it is a custom manufacturers graphics driver and the utility cannot update the driver. The only other update offered is the chipset inf file to update from 9.1.1.1022 to 10.0.0.27.

edit:processor is 5 series/3400 so second gen i3.....I think

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's what I thought but not fully sure. Downloaded Intel driver updater also but it did not recognise a need for an update and when I tried manually finding the driver in the Intel updater it was not listed.

Anyway it is a PSC0QE
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD
    Intel® Core™ i3-380M Processor

Note:
    Status End of Interactive Support

So maybe leaving it on 7 will be better as it wont get any fixes for problems with 10 if they occur.

Latest 64b Driver

Latest 32b Driver

Both newer than the ones from Tosh themselves, windows update wont find them.

EDIT:

If you get this:
    In win 7: The utility says it is a custom manufacturers graphics driver and the utility cannot update the driver. The only other update offered is the chipset inf file to update from 9.1.1.1022 to 10.0.0.27.
    Then toshiba have done a sony and customized their driver, ensuring you never get the latest release. Really annoying. You have to uninstall your current display adapter(check delete files), then reboot and install the intel package to skip the driver customization.

Many thanks folks. Really appreciate the help. I will have to leave it on win 7 for peace of mind. She's old but running fine. Win 7 should be supported long after this laptop gets replaced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement