Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack o lantern

Options
  • 01-11-2015 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hello all. Today we left house from about 1pm till late afternoon. As it is today Halloween and we couldn't stay at home, we left lots of candies in a basket with a sign, plus our Jack o lantern next to them. When we got back the basket from empty, the sign on its place, but Jack was in the compost bin. I felt so bad about it... Obviously a grown up had it done, cause the bin is too high for a kid to reach and he/she placed it in the correct bin, but the wrong time...

Why would someone do something like this...? Too unpolite? Was I wrong for leaving the pumpkin outside, bad luck or something...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Where did you leave the things in relation to your house? Presume you left the basket of candies for trick-or-treating children?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Nemecis

I left the basket and the pumpkin in the front porch. Yeap, we left the candies for trick-or-treating children.

I recently relocated for Greece to Ireland and this made me think even for a racist behavior...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Nemecis wrote: »
    Hello all. Today we left house from about 1pm till late afternoon. As it is today Halloween and we couldn't stay at home, we left lots of candies in a basket with a sign, plus our Jack o lantern next to them. When we got back the basket from empty, the sign on its place, but Jack was in the compost bin. I felt so bad about it... Obviously a grown up had it done, cause the bin is too high for a kid to reach and he/she placed it in the correct bin, but the wrong time...

Why would someone do something like this...? Too unpolite? Was I wrong for leaving the pumpkin outside, bad luck or something...?

Candles + kids = fire..

It was an adult. And a pumpkin is something for the local youths to throw around so someone was watching out for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I'm a bit inclined to think that whoever it was was being a busybody. People tend to bring their own kids around if they're too small to be trusted near a tea-light inside a pumpkin and the older ones should be capable of picking up a few sweeties from a basket without setting themselves on fire. If they were really worried, they could have just blown it out rather than throwing it away.

Also, yeah, there's some nasty little sods that would destroy it just for the sake of it, but putting it in the bin to stop someone else from destroying it is...uh...somewhat dubious logic.

There was a little candle inside, but it was not lighten, cause it was daylight and to watch out for the kids.

• Advertisement

I'd rather think that this was an arsehole, than a racist act :(

I'd rather think that this was an arsehole, than a racist act :(
    Have you experienced any crap from people because you're foreign? Is there anyone in particular you suspect of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Was it broken?
    Last year ours were destroyed by teenagers running up and kicking them (round the whole estate, not just ours).... Maybe the next adult to come by decided to pick up the broken pumpkin and put it in the bin, as they do get VERY messy when busted.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Azalea wrote: »
    Have you experienced any crap from people because you're foreign? Is there anyone in particular you suspect of this?
    No, not really, apart from a neighbour, living right next to us, not being so friendly. I mean, the rest of them (we are living in an estate and the house is located at a cul-de-sac), are polite, although we have not really met.
    (husband here)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Was it broken?
    Last year ours were destroyed by teenagers running up and kicking them (round the whole estate, not just ours).... Maybe the next adult to come by decided to pick up the broken pumpkin and put it in the bin, as they do get VERY messy when busted.

Next time fill one with concrete ;);)

• Advertisement

I was not broken. I was so upset about this incident... :( thanks all for your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Sure, it was probably sitting there a while beforehand, and was admired/enjoyed by the kids before the Neighbourhood Watch (Witch?) came around to tut about 'elf and safety or whatever their reasoning was. Don't let it spoil your Halloween (first one here?); I'm sure enjoyment was had by the non-crazy people.

I was so upset about this incident
    Sorry to read it. Don't mind them though - not worth it. You did a lovely thing for the kiddies and they probably really enjoyed the way it was a bit different!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I recently relocated for Greece to Ireland and this made me think even for a racist behavior...
    First of all, Greeks and Irish are not different races.
    Secondly, perhaps they thought you'd be away longer and wanted to dispose if the lantern before it rotted?

Instead of thinking of the "worst case" scenario and painting your fellow human beings as bad, maybe consider they did it to be nice somehow. If you immediately jump on the racist bandwagon you are heading down a bad path.

All that said, it's really cool that you left treats out for the neighbourhood kids even while you were away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it was not broken I would have thought they did it to keep it safe, as they might think some kids would smash it up, especially if no bars are left as their "trick".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

Halloween is a time of Tricks or Treats

perhaps it was a trick or just some little scrotes

To say it is a racist incident is totally blowing it out of proportion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Next time put the Pumpkin out but put razor blades sticking out of the sides.

Then sit in the bushes and watch until the busy body does it again

Then when their bleeding all over the place jump out of the bushes and say "HA HA TRICKED YOU!"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Was your basket of sweets empty? Someone with kids possibly came up to your porch when they saw the pumpkin and either took the last sweets or found an empty basket. So the adult put your pumpkin away so no other Trick or Treaters would come to your porch and be disappointed.

iguana wrote: »
    Was your basket of sweets empty? Someone with kids possibly came up to your porch when they saw the pumpkin and either took the last sweets or found an empty basket. So the adult put your pumpkin away so no other Trick or Treaters would come to your porch and be disappointed.
    That was my last thought...! Cause the pumpkin was in the compost bin and not the general waste bin...If someone was hateful would not have given it much of a thought on where to dispose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,700 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Leaving candles out for kids ???? Are you insane ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Ally Dick wrote: »

It wasn't lit.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    There were no lit candles in the pumpkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

That was my last thought...! Cause the pumpkin was in the compost bin and not the general waste bin...If someone was hateful would not have given it much of a thought on where to dispose it.

I think if it was someone being hateful you would have arrived home to find it smashed in your porch or against your doors or windows

I don't now why it happened, but i'd guess something along the lines of the first children to arrive took all the candy (jackpot!) and hid the jack o lantern so others would just think you weren't home and left nothing out!

Advertisement